View Single Post
Old 17-08-2006, 21:29   #15
Martian Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
At the moment, Venus has a surface temperature of 400 degrees C, a surface pressure 90 times that of Earth, and clouds consisting mainly of sulfur dioxide and sulfuric acid droplets. The surface also melts and reforms every 100 million years.

Not my ideal retirement home
Don't be so negative. There is a simple way to alter the situation there. It's the same principle as with the transformation of burnt lime to limestone. First apply water to the surface, all Magnesia and Calcium oxide change to hydroxides. These can bind carbon dioxide, you get limestone and the water is set free. When all CO2 is consumed you have only about 3 bar and after some time quite acceptable temperatures. The water vapor will wash out the sulfuric components and deposit them as gypsum. Easy task, if you get enough water there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haku
At any given time in human history there are always people who say that this or that will never be possible, and yet it becomes possible a few centuries later.
Don't get me wrong here, I don't say it's impossible, but I'm quite convinced that the problems are so huge that ther will be a very loooooooong time, that any of these problems can be solved, if ever.