View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 18:22   #8
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuff Grrl
haku, I think they were refering to Mestizos. It's not a question of assuming everything south of Germany as non-white, it's just seeing Mexicans and Mestizos as being one and the same, which is stupid I admit because Mexicans and all Hispanics for that matter can include any race. But considering the fact that Mexico is mostly Mestizo and practically built its cultural identity during the revolution on being Mestizo it isn't really that far off a portrayal.
Ok, it's just that i'm constantly baffled by what kind of people are considered 'non-white' in American shows… like Hispanic people, but i've also seen recently in 2 different American shows people of Italian descent being considered 'non-white' and i was like wtf?!!
That plus the fact that many Southern Europeans have been mistaken for 'Arabs' by US customs in the past years and asked to leave planes for example because they were making the 'white' passengers nervous has led me to believe that a warped notion of what is a 'white' person is now widespread in North America (not to mention that Arab people are actually white too anyway, as incredible as it may seem to US customs and Hollywood).
It's like anything that originates from the South of the Alps is non-white, a revival of the Nordic-only white race… People over there should be reminded that it's the Sahara which is the geographical limit between white and black people, not the Alps.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick | TatySite.net t.E.A.m. [ shortdickman@free.fr ]

Last edited by haku; 02-06-2006 at 18:37.