View Single Post
Old 19-01-2005, 22:49   #18
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie
I didn't offer any opinion of my own on this subject. I know what "Macedonia" stands for. Now and in history. I just said what the Greeks MIGHT resent Bulgars for. Now.

... and Romanians.. who really knows where they come from. They're a kind of a mystery in Europe. They speak a langauge that is a descendant of vulgar latin which SHOULD make them romans descendants, but some theories are finding some genotype similarities with Albanians... dunno... it's all to complicated for me. I gave up in trying to figure those guys out.
I don't think they resent Bulgarians for that though - if they do...that goes a long way.

Well, ok. I did some editing on my post above to reflect my real view on the subject. You did offer yours in a way. But I really think the Macedonian Republic should call themselves Slavic Macedonia or something. And they don't want to ( why? )
About the Romanians, well you're right. Their language is great, they speak a real romanised language but if they're so mixed up, I could argue they also have some Slavic blood as well.
Maybe someone who does Balkan Studies can shed more light on the subject.

Strangely enough this issue never came up when I was living with my Romanian ex-housemate...though we did talk about the language. I remember he was very vehement about Slavs though, calling them all sorts of names ( after watching Mihajlovic do his thing playing with Lazio, ie spitting at Beckham or something? )