View Single Post
Old 20-01-2005, 19:53   #33
My Waking Hour

Well, as far as Greece is concerned - and from what I remember they taught us at school - the Myceneans were not Thracians . The Thracians were an Indo-European tribe who occupied the region of Thrace - this region today is divided between Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey.
There was another tribe, called the Achaeans who are taken to be the original inhabitants of the region. that's what they taught us at school but that's not necessarily 100% true. However:

Quote:
The Homeric Achaeans would have been a part of the Mycenaean civilization that dominated Greece from ca. 1600 BC, with a history as a tribe that may have gone back to the prehistoric Hellenic immigration in the late 3rd millennium BC.
So the Mycenean Civilization of Crete is taken to be Achaean settlers.
There is speculation that the Trojans could be ancient Achaeans as well.

Then around the 1c BC, another tribe came from the north, the Dorians, who invaded Greece and defeated the Achaeans. So the modern Greeks may be descentants of that tribe. It could all be BS as well because there was a long "dark" period after the Dorians emerged, that lasted for several centuries and until 800 BC. where there emerged the golden age of Ancient Greece; but there's hardly any evidence of that "dark" period, so it's like a big break there. The Achaeans may have revolted against them, cause then the Spartans are supposed to be Dorian descentants - but not the rest.

The Slavs came later, so I don't suppose the Dorians were Slavs

The Tracians and the Thracians? jee I'll have to go back and read all that...but you're talking about the 11-12 century AD ( not 1-2 c BC ) There's a bit of a difference there. The Slavs are supposed to have emerged around 4-5 c AD
jee, I'm confused. That "source" sounds really dodgy, what kind of English is that? My source was wikipedia - as usual