View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 15:05   #64
My Waking Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda05
I spent the last semester discussing and writing papers on American culture, gays, etc for my diversity class. So I am not going to bother myself discussing this topic. But I will give you an example of what I meant by "adapting" American culture. There was this foreign female student in my college, she spent a decade in US. However, she was very reluctant to adapt the American ways. She disliked American music (any english music for that matter), she had no interest in watching American shows. Well, i think you get the picture. Basically, she was very grounded to her country of origin. I, on the other hand, am the opposite of her. End of story!

Illustrates that US is a diverse nation.

So American culture has to do with American music and shows?
If you think about it, there's no real American music, unless you're referring to banjo songs etc. There's music sung in English by Americans and music is something universal. The fact that she was reluctant to start liking what you call American music does not mean that she disliked the culture in general. American tv shows? well, my childhood was full of them and I loved them but nowadays I watch none ;does this mean that I despise American culture or that they might not be that good anymore - or in any case I don't like them because I have found different interests?
Since you're at the university why don't you make a reference to American philosophy and literature? It's not in the same level as the European one but it is at least a very interesting starting pont.
Don't know if that's the end of story, or if you don't want to discuss about it. The fact that you worked one semester in those subjects does not bear much weight to the discussion. I have studied American culture and feminist culture before in modules at the University; we have touched upon gay culture as well; I have a masters degree in joint contemporary Political philosophy and literature, maybe you're not aware that I've been there done that before, because I never talk about it. Yes, I did it and I like it but don't consider myself particularly clever or interested to carry on doing it.
My thesis was on American culture and literature and I chose to do it. ( cause the other options had to do with feminism )

I still can't find that solidarity and identity in American society that other societies have enjoyed. That doesn't mean there's no such identity but it's fabric is more weakened than other societies. Violence was a good starting point, I think.