View Single Post
Old 27-12-2004, 08:19   #17
no....

Quote:
Originally Posted by haku
There are also many religious groups, including christians, that think that when a child is being born with a defect, it's a punishment from god because its parents have not led a good religious life, so who's right?
hehehehehe, sorry... but i have to laugh it this for reasons beyond you'll understand. Just take it from a hospital kid that this is too true. albeit, my parents never blamed their lack of religiousness for my congenital birthdefect, but my GRANDPARENTS (dad's side) sure do

Quote:
Originally Posted by haku
Back in the old days, christians even used to think that when a woman gave birth to a child whith that kind of major defect, it was because she had fornicated with an incubus demon.
for example: 1 time i had a roommate with Tourette's Syndrome. You know, where you can't really control you're speach and what you say and other such things. It's not very common but common enough that we all know what it is, But i'm sure that to his Amish Parents it must have been something they'd never ever expected(well, if they knew anything about the result of inbreeding they wouldn't have, but anyway)... They believed that their child was possessed by a demon and would pound on his chest whenever he'd go into a fit. Well, after about 5 years of doing this, the child's sternum collapsed and i think most of his ribs broke as a result. Anyway, i spent a week in the same room with this kid, i didn't get much sleep (unless i pushed the morphine button a few times), but sometimes the things he screamed we're incredibly funny. Things that we wouldn't dare think of "bad" would shock his parents, i sadly can't remember them, because i was on heavy drugs and it was about 5 or 6 years ago. Though he didn't really say words very much, he would just scream and scream. If i didn't know he had tourette's, i probably would have thought he was possessed too. sigh