View Single Post
Old 23-06-2004, 20:12   #206
a kind of fresh madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh
mossopp mmm anti virus ? try installing or running yours. make sure its updated.
also check your programs installed [click start, run, control panel, add remove programs] and remove anything you know shouldnt be there. if youd like, you can paste the list of programs you find here or pm me i dont mind which. and we can see if we can find out which rogue program is doing this.
Thanks, I appreciate this.
First off, I don't actually have an anti-virus. I've installed and ran both the programs you suggested numerous times. Last night they had apparently found and quarantined/deleted all the problems. But I ran them again half-an-hour ago and they discovered 6 new problems and I hadn't even been online in the interim!! I don't understand how new bugs can be appearing when I haven't been online in order to pick them up.
I also installed Google toolbar and have selected the 'block all pop-ups' option but some are still gettting though. It's always the same 2 ads and they appear at least once a minute.
Here's a list of all the stuff in my 'add/remove programs' list. I don't see anything untoward but maybe you'll be able to tell me if there's something here that shouldn't be:

Active Disk
Ad-aware 6 personal
CD Checker
Div X Codec
Div X Player
Google Toolbar
HP Deskjet
Iomga tools
Iomega ware
Microsoft Office
MSN add-in for windows messenger
Quicktime
SIS multimedia
Soundblaster Audio
Spybot
Windows SA
Windows SR
Windows XP uninstall
Winzip
wsem update

Like I said, I don't see anything unusual here.
Thanks again for your help.

Mossopp
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?