View Single Post
Old 04-11-2003, 20:05   #5
Losing it!

Lets start with Downrock.

Down rock is what breakdancers do while on the ground. In-between all the spins, swipes, freezes, ect, you will see a basic forum. This is called 6-step.

6 Step

The basic fundamental of the dance, although rarely done without extra steps, this forms the basic footwork of all breakdancers. It’s called this because you do it in six steps. Here is how you do it:

1. Adopt a push-up position, but with legs spread. You should be supported by both arms and legs, legs and arms both straight. Don't stick you bum too high in the air.

2. Lift your right arm, place it somewhere out of the way i.e.: on your right hip. Now one arm and two legs support you. Tilt your body slightly by leaning so your right hip is facing slightly upwards. Then keeping your left leg as straight as possible, place your left under your right leg, close to where your right hand was. This should completely twist your position, so you are now being supported still bye your one hand but now with your bum facing downwards instead of up.

3. Both legs should now be straight, jump your right leg, from being straight out behind you, to a bent position (as though you were crouching with one leg) so that your right foot is close to your right knee. Keep your bum off the ground.

4. Swap the positions of your legs, your right leg should not be outstretched and your left leg crouched. As you make this swap your should aim to make some rotation, rather than remaining stationary. The 6step should be a reasonably fluent movement. At the same time change your hand support so you are supporting yourself with your right hand.

5. Swing your outstretched right leg, as far round as it will go to the left. It should now be somewhat wrapped round your left leg. As you do this, transfer your hand support to the middle/front so you are leaning very slightly forward, like a very upright push-up position.

6. Step back with your left leg, so it is now outstretched behind you. Two hands should now support you. Finally bring your right leg under your left and return to the split legged push-up position. Go to Step 1.

You will be making a circle with your body. First, work on making your 6-step as fluid as possible. When you’ve done that, try doing it to music. I’ve tried dancing to all types and I’ve found that Hip Hop works the best, but it’s up to you. (A good CD that I LOVE breakin to is The Blueprint of Hip Hop). Also, make sure you have a good surface to break on. Like unfinished basements, garages, gyms…. Anything with a smooth surface. Although, a big space like a living room, is all that you’ll need for the beginning moves. Just make sure you move anything breakable before you start.

Questions?

Last edited by Stop it!; 04-11-2003 at 20:27.