Thread: Gay High School
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 21:37   #56
a kind of fresh madness

Quote:
Originally posted by queenbee
The whole thing of thinking about ever coming out in my school scares me. No, I'm not gay myself, but if there is someone in my school, and they let others know, bad things will happen *ooo*. Probably 90% of the people in my school think being gay is disgusting and they think that gay people are stupid and stupid people are gay...
I would never have even dreamed of coming out when I was still in school. The abuse I got from people because they just assumed I was gay was bad enough. If they'd known for sure I would have had the sh#t well-and-truly kicked out of me!
Including myself, there were 5 people in my year-group at school who are gay and all of us waited untill we had left school and established ourselves in 'the real world' before we came out. At the time I had guessed that some of them were gay - although one in particular came as a bit of a shock to me - but it was a silent understanding between all of us that we weren't to speak about it, simply for the sake of each other's safety.
My point is that even though I come from a small, retarded little town and went to a school where practically all the students were straight, there were still other people who shared what I was going through. I think that situation made me stronger. I don't feel like I'd still have the same confidence about my sexuality if I had gone to a school that was purely meant for gay teenagers. If anything, I think I would be even more scared for my safety had I gone to an all-gay school cos I'd be waiting for a bomb to go off at any moment, or for some homophobic b#st#rd to run into the classrooms with a gun and mow us all down!
It sounds wierd to be saying this cos my school days were anything but safe, but I really do believe I was better off in the school that I went to.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Do they even cure you...
or is it just to humour us before we die?