View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 20:24   #97
malinky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by haku
From what i've seen, many countries are sending help to the US (which i do think is ridiculous because sending help to the US is like donating money to Bill Gates), but from i've seen, US mainstream media are not mentioning this fact at all (probably because they think it's shameful to receive foreign help) and US authorities are not using or even refusing this help, which shows that foreign help is unnecessary and unwanted by American people themselves.
As far as the reporting of offers of help, those actually have been widely reported by the American news media outlets in both print and television. Bitty2002 previously mentioned the report about Sri Lanka's incredibly moving offer. Along with that report, we both have heard about the numerous countries who have offered their condolences, compassion, and aid. The US has requested help from NATO (ETA: link) and is responding to offers from foreign countries. As mentioned before, a lot of the aid that is being offered is being reviewed and will be accepted or declined based on specific needs. Of course, with bureaucracy one can never be sure what is truly going on and what will come of everything.

As far as I am concerned, I am grateful for the outpouring of compassion exhibited by foreign countries and their citizens. I also know a lot of other Americans are as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darje
I honestly would find it disgraceful if a nation's pride makes it unable to accept help.
And that is going to be an issue I am sure. For every person who finds that the US is acting in a disgraceful manner by not accepting aid, another person will find it equally disgraceful if a country as rich as we are does accept. It truly is a no win situation.

ETA: Celtic Jobber and marina, both Bitty and I hope you and your loved ones are well. Take care.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Caterpillars turn into rare butterflies..."
~Chantal Kreviazuk~

Last edited by volkotina; 08-09-2005 at 21:02.