Unofficial forum of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU (http://forum.tatysite.net/index.php)
-   Politics and Science (http://forum.tatysite.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Canada set to slaughter 270,000 seals (http://forum.tatysite.net/showthread.php?t=11701)

Sean Jon 05-04-2007 22:17

Canada set to slaughter 270,000 seals

This is just terrible!

The annual slaughter of seals in Canada gets underway this week, despite ongoing pressure from animal welfare groups around the world that the practice is cruel and unnecessary.
Approximately 270,000 seals will be killed in this year's cull - from which the pelts (fur) are exported for the fashion trade, mainly to Europe and East Asia. There are real fears that some of the seals - some of which are under three months old - remain conscious when skinned.

"The mass slaughter and trade in seal fur is horrific, and the sooner Europe makes a solid stand against the Canadian seal hunt the better," said David Bowles, RSPCA head of external affairs.

Take action!
Send an email to Ian McCartney MP, the Minister of State for Trade at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, and ask for the UK to introduce a ban on seal products from Canada.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Sate...t&pg=campaigns

Kyro 05-04-2007 22:33

To know that things like that happen makes me feel so sick and angry :mad: It's all so unbelievably cruel and unnecessary. Makes me ashamed to be part of a world where these things are allowed to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Jon (Post 346528)
There are real fears that some of the seals - some of which are under three months old - remain conscious when skinned.

And anyone doing that should have the same done to them :nunu:

spyretto 05-04-2007 22:52

Until they become a species in danger of extinction like the liger and then they're gonna try to protect them...ironic issit?

Amanda 05-04-2007 23:22

That is ridiculous. :none:

Amy_Lee_Rocks 05-04-2007 23:50

Poor seals..they are so cute and cuddlely and so adorable..

*seal seal!*

volk1 06-04-2007 01:27

Anyone who does such a thing can go throw themselves down a flight of stairs into a pit of man-eating ants. My god. I think of it, and I don't understand how anyone who even has 1/100000th of a soul can do such a thing to a living, breathing animal. An animal that bleeds, and screams in pain. It's sick. Just plain sick. I have seen PETA videos of animals being tortured in so many ways, even skinned ALIVE. All while they are moving around and struggling to break free, some asswipe is ripping their skin off. This has been going on for so long, and it is still going on today, and I don't understand why NOBODY intervenes. I swear on my life, if I ever came across someone like that, ugh, god help them. I would beat them over the head with an ice pick, and skin them alive so they see how it feels. They can all go to hell.

taturocks8 06-04-2007 01:55

Nooooooooo I hate this :( Idots I'm upset now :(

I love seals they beautiful. If there was no law on going to jail i would a gun kill the men.

I wouldn't mind telling the men off .
Ohhhhh Noooooooo.

Wish there was something to do to stop this .

Whitney 06-04-2007 01:55

this is really terrible...they are gonna kill 270,000 seals for fur...these people are real idiots and are very cruel

PowerPuff Grrl 06-04-2007 02:29

Yeah, that's not exactly a good image for this country.
Apparently the figure of 270,000 is not going to met anyhow, at least not to the hunters. Climate change is apparently thinning the ice and making seal pups drown.

As for the hunters, allow me to play the devil's advocate here but I wouldn't necessarily villianize them so easily. I saw this in a documentary somewhere, these people were probably the same people that were involved in the lucrative fishing industry a while ago until overfishing made the salmon in the East Coast an endangered species. It wasn't their fault however, the government pretty much treated the industry like it was a gold rush and let any idiot with a boat and net acquire a fishing license fishing as much as they want for however ever long as they want. Naturally there was a huge influx of new fishers that didn't know a damn thing about fishing and didn't give the salmon a chance to re-populate so they pretty much sucked everything dry. The government was not smart to forsee this happening.

In any case the fishing industry never recovered and the most of the Atlantic Coast of Canada has been largely unemployed and accepting government aid since. I think this is their only source of revenue, particularly with the smaller villages.

I'm not an apologist, nor am I trying to be one. I just see where they are coming from.

spyretto 06-04-2007 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitney (Post 346552)
this is really terrible...they are gonna kill 270,000 seals for fur...these people are real idiots and are very cruel

If there was no demand for it, there wouldn't be any killing. It's the consumer's fault not the hunters'...I blame society.

volk1 06-04-2007 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyretto (Post 346562)
If there was no demand for it, there wouldn't be any killing. It's the consumer's fault not the hunters'...I blame society.

If there weren't any supply, there wouldn't be a demand. In reality, they could just stop. It is cruel and inhumane, as is anything that involves skinning an animal to make a garment. But it's because of money-hungry scumbags that these industries continue.

freddie 06-04-2007 18:37

Okay but this is not an isolated problem is it? I mean why are seal pups so special? Because they're cute? What about thousands of ultra-intelligent pigs that get massacred in millions, probably billions to serve our daily carnivor needs? Or peace loving cows who end up bleeding to death on the floor of some butchery and consequently your hamburgers? Whales - these gentle giants of the seas - they end their existence being harpooned to death by a bunch of savage Norwegians...

Seals are just the latest buzz word. But we do terrible, inhumane things to animals all the time. It's the dark side of human nature and something that's not worth even thinking about, because it'll only make an animal-lover frustrated. It's like shoveling shit against the tide. :-/

Talyubittu 06-04-2007 19:21

Freddie - Animal protection laws exist in the USA though, you cannot "massacre" an animal, or well...you're not supposed to. It's not like we take chainsaws into the pasture and then hand people their hamburgers. They're killed in humane ways in my country.

However - you are correct about this "Seal buzz". If large organizations like PETA cannot get this cruelty to stop, then 10 people from tatysite.net will not get the job done either. It's a waste of time to send a letter.

freddie 06-04-2007 20:05

Trust me - all western countries have regulatives enforcing humane slaughter, but it's utopic to think cruelty to animals never happens. I know for a fact EU has a pretty strict policy of animal cruelty laws, yet I've still seen calves and cows being transported in the blistering sun throughout the continent - sometimes the drivers will take a nap in the airconditioned cabin, leaving animals to suffer in an inadequatly ventilated trailer. And that's EU. I'm scared to even think about stuff that's going on elsewhere. Koreans come to mind with their dog restaurants. There's a grizly story going around that they kill dogs by pouring boiling hot water on them, since them dying in agony will release a lot of adrenalin, thus making the meat nice and tender.

Talyubittu 06-04-2007 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddie (Post 346636)
Trust me - all western countries have regulatives enforcing humane slaughter, but it's utopic to think cruelty to animals never happens. I know for a fact EU has a pretty strict policy of animal cruelty laws, yet I've still seen calves and cows being transported in the blistering sun throughout the continent - sometimes the drivers will take a nap in the airconditioned cabin, leaving animals to suffer in an inadequatly ventilated trailer. And that's EU. I'm scared to even think about stuff that's going on elsewhere. Koreans come to mind with their dog restaurants. There's a grizly story going around that they kill dogs by pouring boiling hot water on them, since them dying in agony will release a lot of adrenalin, thus making the meat nice and tender.

I know it hapens. I wasn't arguing against that. :)

freddie 06-04-2007 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyubittu (Post 346640)
I know it hapens. I wasn't arguing against that. :)

Yet while doing that you also stated "they're killed in humane ways in your country." I'm just saying you shouldn't kid yourself. I doubt the USA is any better than the EU in that respect. Needless to say I've read about some pretty abhorrent treatment of cattle in certain southern US states.

Talyubittu 06-04-2007 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddie (Post 346644)
Yet while doing that you also stated "they're killed in humane ways in your country." I'm just saying you shouldn't kid yourself. I doubt the USA is any better than the EU in that respect. Needless to say I've read about some pretty abhorrent treatment of cattle in certain southern US states.

That is PART of what I said.

Quote:

Animal protection laws exist in the USA though, you cannot "massacre" an animal, or well...you're not supposed to.
- My point in this sentence was - there are laws protecting animals. I didn't say inhumane killings do not happen - because they do. I was just pointing out it's not like the USA has no laws protecting animals.

volk1 06-04-2007 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddie (Post 346636)
There's a grizly story going around that they kill dogs by pouring boiling hot water on them, since them dying in agony will release a lot of adrenalin, thus making the meat nice and tender.

This world is sick. :bum:

Talyubittu 07-04-2007 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by volk1 (Post 346651)
This world is sick. :bum:

That is disgusting. This makes me want to be a vegeterian...the world would be better if everyone was Ovo-Lactose Vegeterian.

Amy_Lee_Rocks 07-04-2007 01:39

*seal seal*