Unofficial forum of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU (http://forum.tatysite.net/index.php)
-   General discussions (http://forum.tatysite.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Learning German (http://forum.tatysite.net/showthread.php?t=11709)

Talyubittu 09-04-2007 03:03

Learning German

Well, I figured since I half-assed the Russian thread. We should at least have a half-assed German thread!

Is anyone interested!? I'd be happy to teach you some things to navigate your way through the various "Städte" (Shtete) a.k.a. cities of Deutschland!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

LINKS TO POSTS CONTAINING GERMAN COURSES

Verb Conjugation: Kommen

Learning German Articles: Der, Die and Das!

German Articles: Der, Die and Das | Re-Explained & Easier to Understand

Los Geht's: Wer bist du? | Erste Stufe

Los Geht's & Erste Stufe Study Guide

QueenBee 09-04-2007 03:10

YAY. :D

Talyubittu 09-04-2007 03:13

Haha! I love you Queenie.

Woot - I pick up French next year as well! Yay Language <333

QueenBee 09-04-2007 03:21

You totally knew I was gonna be soooo happy about this :gigi:

Quote:

I love you Queenie.
I love you too!

Quote:

Woot - I pick up French next year as well! Yay Language <333
Maybe you can teach us :p French is so beautiful, but unfortunately I think I've sort of given up on my dream of learning French... it just seems so difficult. :(

Okay I'm gonna get my German notebook ready!

Amanda 09-04-2007 03:32

Ohh I'm interested. Couldn't hurt. :p -bookmarks thread-

Offtop:
Is there a "Learning Spanish" thread too? I looked a while back and got nothing. :confused:

QueenBee 09-04-2007 03:36

TreIsCool32, as far as I remember, there's not... maybe a Spanish speaking member can help us out? :) I took Spanish for 4,5 years but I can only say "Hola" :p The only thing I could help with would be exercises, I've got a lot of those...

-Adruz- 09-04-2007 03:41

I'm learniing german! :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenBee (Post 346968)
I took Spanish for 4,5 years but I can only say "Hola"

haha, really? I don't believe you.

Talyubittu 09-04-2007 04:01

Alright, so lets start with the basics of verb conjugation for Nominative Case.

The imporant thing to remember when learning a foreign language - is that they do not operate like New Age English does. Your verbs in English have no definate ending to them. You can say "I Come From" and "You Come From" and it's correct both ways, because in Modern English - you do not change the ending of the verb you are using. If you did not understand that - please re-read until you do. It's crucial to understanding what is below. However - saying "Ich Komme Aus" (I come from) and "Du Komme Aus" (You come from) - is incorrect in German, because each verb has to have a different ending depending on if you use He, She, It, etc". If you are familiar with Russian or any other Slavic languages, this concept will be easy for you. Any time you use a Pro-noun (I, Me, You, etc) you will need to change the case ending on the verb (Run, dance, sing, etc) that you use. Here is a chart to help break it down, just ask if you have questions. I will bold the way you change the endings on verbs below so you have a visual image of how to format verbs so that they agree with their pronouns.

Quote:

In this chart we will be using the verb "To Come" or "Come From"
This verb is known as "Kommen"

Ich (I) komme
Du (You) - kommst
Er (He) - kommt
Sie (She) - kommt
Es (It) - kommt
Wir (We) - kommen
Ihr (You Pl.) - kommt
Sie (You Formal) - kommen
Sie (They) - kommen
All of these are ways to say "____ Comes (From)"

As you can see, the endings that are bolded show how you change the pronouns and the verbs so that they match each other to form a correct German sentence! You're well on your way to mastering German if you can understand this concept, so study and memorize it!

This is important becuase - any verb you use in German will function this way, with the exact same case endings, unless it is an irregular verb. And even irreular verbs have only small changes like removing an "e" from the forms of "Ich" and removing the t from "Er, Sie, Es"

Now - this may sound like a big jumble of random German words, but you really really will find this very simple after you memorize that chart and can plug in your knolwedge of German pronouns into all of this that I've typed!

If any of you are familiar with Shakespeare you'll recognize how English and German are similar.
Example: I know not = I don't know
Thou knowest not = You do not know

Do you see how the verb's ending changes when you use either "I" or "You" in Old English? - This is because English is a language that has many roots in German. So many things will be similar!

Please let me know if you've got any questions! I'll be happy to further explain!

volk1 09-04-2007 04:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyubittu (Post 346971)
The imporant thing to remember when learning a foreign language - is that they do not operate like New Age English does. Your verbs in English have no definate ending to them. You can say "I Come From" and "You Come From" and it's correct both ways.

Actually, we also must conjugate verbs. It's just not noticed so much as we are used to speaking it so often.

FOR EXAMPLE:

"to be"
I am
You are
He/She is
It is
We are
They are

"to do"
I do
You do
He/She does
It does
We do
They do

...as can be shown with many other verbs in the English language.

Talyubittu 09-04-2007 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by volk1 (Post 346974)
Actually, we also must conjugate verbs. It's just not noticed so much as we are used to speaking it so often.

FOR EXAMPLE:

"to be"
I am
You are
He/She is
It is
We are
They are

"to do"
I do
You do
He/She does
It does
We do
They do

...as can be shown with many other verbs in the English language.

Haha, I should have been more specific. I meant that in English - you don't change how your verb is conjuaged for EVERY pronoun, as you do in German. Also - when you conjugate in English - you don't have the same ending on each different verb for every time you use the same pronoun.

But my dear Lisa, you are indeed correctomundo on that example.

Talyubittu 09-04-2007 04:27

Beautiful conjuation -Adruz-

volk1 09-04-2007 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyubittu (Post 346976)
But my dear Lisa, you are indeed correctomundo on that example.

:coctail:

Amy_Lee_Rocks 09-04-2007 04:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreIsCool32 (Post 346967)

Offtop:
Is there a "Learning Spanish" thread too? I looked a while back and got nothing. :confused:

Offtop:
uuuu! i can help you with Mexican spanish :kawai:

Amanda 09-04-2007 04:53

Thanks Tim and Lisa for the information. :D

Offtop:
I know a fair bit of Spanish. :p I just want to further it a lot more. Someone (or I can) should start the thread! :)

-Adruz- 09-04-2007 04:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyubittu (Post 346978)
Beautiful conjuation -Adruz-

Ouu.. I deleted it, cuz I thought it would bother you. You're the teacher here :p

Talyubittu 09-04-2007 05:05

Haha! Of course not!

I know I'm a bitch but I'm not THAT much of a bitch lol!

Is everyone finding what I wrote up there understandable though?

Amy_Lee_Rocks 09-04-2007 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreIsCool32 (Post 346987)

Offtop:
I know a fair bit of Spanish. :p I just want to further it a lot more. Someone (or I can) should start the thread! :)

Offtop:
Go ahead, start it, and me and some other spanish
speaking members will help you

-Adruz- 09-04-2007 05:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy_Lee_Rocks (Post 346994)
Offtop:
Go ahead, start it, and me and some other spanish
speaking members will help you

I agree

the unforgiven 09-04-2007 11:51

OMG! this thread reminds me that I've studied german for 5 years ... hmmm maybe 7 haha! I don't even remember it
my remaining is this beautiful sentence : Ich bin ein Ameisenbär :p

Good luck for german :rose:
interesting thread anyway

freddie 09-04-2007 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyubittu (Post 346971)
Do you see how the verb's ending changes when you use either "I" or "You" in Old English? - This is because English is a language that has many roots in German. So many things will be similar!

Technically speaking both English and German as Germanic languages derive their roots from ancient Proto-Germanic language (which in itself was only a derivative of Proto-Indo-European).

Quote:

Originally Posted by the unforgiven
OMG! this thread reminds me that I've studied german for 5 years ... hmmm maybe 7 haha! I don't even remember it

Me too. Four years for me. And I still can't speak for shit. Goes to show you we're bound to forget just about everything we learn at school. :p