Unofficial forum of group TATU

Unofficial forum of group TATU (http://forum.tatysite.net/index.php)
-   Questions to the Moderators (http://forum.tatysite.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Signature Images (http://forum.tatysite.net/showthread.php?t=11762)

Talyubittu 03-05-2007 04:21

Signature Images

Why dosen't tatysite opt to allow them? Is it becuase it takes up to much space to do so? I really miss being able to have one, it'd kinda makes the experience on a forum more personal when you can show off your flashy banners or whatnot :)

Amanda 03-05-2007 04:26

I wonder as well. And we can't post img tags either as far as I know.

volk1 03-05-2007 04:28

I stopped making sigs altogether because they cannot be used here...

I think I forgot how. :lalala:

Talyubittu 03-05-2007 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by volk1 (Post 350104)
I stopped making sigs altogether because they cannot be used here...

I think I forgot how. :lalala:

Same...i'm messing around in fireworks and in paintshop, i can't do anything exciting like I used to be able too because I haven't made anything in such a long time. I miss being able to use them.

Mute_Clouds 03-05-2007 06:36

:dknow: well if you really wanted to you could just make a thread and show them off in there?

Talyubittu 03-05-2007 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mute_Clouds (Post 350110)
:dknow: well if you really wanted to you could just make a thread and show them off in there?

True, but not everyone does that. It's fun you get more personal with everyone. You memorize who people are by their signatures and avatars and recognize their posts etc, it's a really cool concept! It's like your own little area to be yourself.

LOLLLLLLLL! I love your signature, when did i say that?

Edit: march 23rd duh... Found it hahahahahahh! That was a hilarious quote.....glad you found it amusing :)

QueenBee 03-05-2007 17:03

Because some are ugly :p

No, just kidding... It's because it can take a long time to load for some, and it can be distracting. Also, really, some are ugly! After browsing some forums for a while, my eyes hurt because of the flashing colors etc.

haku 03-05-2007 17:23

The decision is up to the admins anyway, not moderators. If the admins decide that this feature should be added, it will.

That being said, people can say in this thread if they would like (or not) this feature added to let the admins know of the general opinion on this.

And banners may become allowed one day, but images in posts are a big no.

Leni 03-05-2007 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenBee (Post 350144)
Because some are ugly :p

No, just kidding... It's because it can take a long time to load for some, and it can be distracting. Also, really, some are ugly! After browsing some forums for a while, my eyes hurt because of the flashing colors etc.

Agree.

If there would be signature pictures allowed I wish they were very small cause it looks really stupid when some same big image is shown after every single post. I´ve seen forums where signatures have gotten ridiculous proportions *cough* http://board.theveronicas.com/index....ic=18020&st=20

Kyro 03-05-2007 18:23

I really can't stand signature images, for all of the reasons mentioned by Queenie and Leni, and for the simple reason that they just make the whole forum look a mess. If they were to be allowed they should be limited to a fairly small size, and if at all possible, should all be the same size to keep things looking nice and tidy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leni (Post 350148)
I´ve seen forums where signatures have gotten ridiculous proportions *cough* http://board.theveronicas.com/index....ic=18020&st=20

That is seriously ridiculous. Most of the comments on that page are just "bump" followed by a huuuuuge signature :rolleyes:

Talyubittu 03-05-2007 20:50

I agree. A signature image should be no longer than say...250x150. Other than that it's just TO big and to distracting.

I'm going to make this a poll.

volk1 03-05-2007 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyubittu (Post 350176)
I agree. A signature image should be no longer than say...250x150. Other than that it's just TO big and to distracting.

I'm going to make this a poll.

Yah, tatu.fatal had a signature size limit of 200x500 :D

Uh, hold on talyubittu...do you realize how small 250x150 is?

I'm thinking 200x400 :D

Britney Spears 03-05-2007 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leni (Post 350148)

That's so damn annoying.

QueenBee 03-05-2007 22:40

Hey guys, just cause everyone will vote for signature images doesn't mean it will actually happen, so don't get your hopes up. :p It's not news - users have been asking for this before, but in the end it's the admins' choice.

Talyubittu 04-05-2007 04:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenBee (Post 350196)
Hey guys, just cause everyone will vote for signature images doesn't mean it will actually happen, so don't get your hopes up. :p It's not news - users have been asking for this before, but in the end it's the admins' choice.

True. I'm just surveying to see what everyone would prefer :). So don't get your hopes up.

I see you said no forre care yo elaborate? :)

Khartoun2004 04-05-2007 05:22

OMG Please do not add signature pics to this forum... Maybe I'm just use to the look of the forum and don't like the idea of a major... but Banners piss me the fuck off for reasons mentioned by Queenie and Leni.

But seriously, one of the things I absolutely love about this forum is that they don't allow sig pics. As Kyro said, the forum looks neat and professional. I don't know about the rest of you, but I take pride in this forum because it looks soooo much better than all the other forums I've seen. Quite honestly, I have yet to find a forum that looks better... ok yes the color scheme is a bit odd (Tan?), but it works and it makes me smile everytime I log on.

forre 04-05-2007 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyubittu (Post 350223)
I see you said no forre care yo elaborate?

Out of the same reasons as stated above by a few people. Technically, pictures in signatures slow down browsing the forum especially if you are on a bit slower connection or your computer doesn't have a very fast graphic card. Then, the forum looks messy.

Talyubittu 04-05-2007 07:06

I agree. But many forums have regulated banners as well. I don't see how loading a small image would be any more complex or time taking than loading the forum pictures.

forre 04-05-2007 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyubittu (Post 350233)
I don't see how loading a small image would be any more complex or time taking than loading the forum pictures.

Try an older notebook and some slower connection and you'll see. If you have 20 posts displayed by page and each have pictures on the left (avatars) and under (in signatures), then it might become heavy. The messy part is still valid. What are your reasons of having pictures in signatures except as specified in your first post?

Talyubittu 04-05-2007 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by forre (Post 350234)
Try an older notebook and some slower connection and you'll see. If you have 20 posts displayed by page and each have pictures on the left (avatars) and under (in signatures), then it might become heavy. The messy part is still valid. What are your reasons of having pictures in signatures except as specified in your first post?

There really isn't one other than that. They actually do serve no practical purpose. But looking at it from a..."Different' perspective, I guess it's kind of like a virtual style? You dress how you want to in reality, and on the net, nobody can see you, so you can express your personality through colors and images and such. Personally, I like displaying my work becuase I like it when people comment on it, its fun to see the reaction of someone towards something I've created. I'm not exactly sure why, but for some reason it does. :) Other than that, no, there is not a reason why the forum needs them.

forre 04-05-2007 08:06

Talyubittu, We had this discussion between moderators not a long time ago and everyone voted against pictures in signatures. I guess there were reasons for that.

As for expressing yourself, there are a few threads with pictures on the forum and a whole section The Island of Arts where you can show us your work.

Talyubittu 04-05-2007 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by forre (Post 350237)
Talyubittu, We had this discussion between moderators not a long time ago and everyone voted against pictures in signatures. I guess there were reasons for that.

As for expressing yourself, there are a few threads with pictures on the forum and a whole section The Island of Arts where you can show us your work.

True. And I respect the decision made, but I do have to point out that the island of arts section does recieve less views that most of the forum does. I for one, know I don't visit it often. It's easier to associate artwork with someone when their signature is recognized as theirs.

It seems a decision has been reached. :) Thank you for weighing in on z' matter.

Argos 04-05-2007 12:06

I have my experience with tatugirls.de with their image tags and signature pics. If you want to follow a thread, it is really demanding. Messages containing less than a half dozen of words, smilies almost more than words, huge pictures in the messages and signatures expanding up to screen height. You completely lose your view, overlook messages and soon you get tired. So I read only very few threads there. If you want to talk/discuss, it's far better, if you don't have such frills. There is enough room for individuality with your personal area to the left and the (verbal) signature area at the bottom.

P.S.: If you are really creative, you can even make your signature pictures with "character art".

Kyro 04-05-2007 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy malchik (Post 350246)
We should have signatures instead of profile pictures.
I mean... if we can't have both...

But profile pics don't affect the appearance or loading speed of any pages other than your profile page...

QueenOfLesbania 04-05-2007 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by forre (Post 350237)
everyone voted against pictures in signatures

thanks to everyone for voting against it :rose:

Talyubittu 04-05-2007 20:57

Quote:

P.S.: If you are really creative, you can even make your signature pictures with "character art".
Thats still not creating a t.A.T.u. related image or any type of image you want to create. If the images are regulated to where they are not to distracting or big, I honestly don't see the harm in using them. As long as the forum stays professional looking.

coolasfcuk 04-05-2007 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyubittu (Post 350235)
But looking at it from a..."Different' perspective, I guess it's kind of like a virtual style? You dress how you want to in reality, and on the net, nobody can see you, so you can express your personality through colors and images and such.

we're elegant and classy here.... no need to evoke any of the kitsch that comes with banners...

Quote:

Personally, I like displaying my work becuase I like it when people comment on it, its fun to see the reaction of someone towards something I've created. I'm not exactly sure why, but for some reason it does.
ohhh, do you need petting on the shoulder to feel good about yourself, baby.... ok... your banners are AWESOME! :gigi:

volk1 04-05-2007 21:31

I guess it's just diff. for those who have come from/spent a lot of time on a forum where signatures were allowed. Talyubittu and I are both from Fatal and signatures were a big thing there. Everyone could show off their creativity through their sigs, it's harder to do that in a 100x100 avatar. It also had a signature request thread where people would post pics, text, and colors they wanted in a sig and it would be made for them. And, yeah, everyone gave each other feedback on their signatures. Also, about people commenting on sigs, on fatal you couldn't find a thread where someone didn't respond to someones sig. It's not egotistical, or, as you said coolasfcuk "petting on the shoulder," it's just fun to get your work recognized :) . Everybody gave each other feedback, be it positive or negative. Comments on sigs actually helped a lot of people. When I started on fatal I sucked ass (ask Talyubittu) but now I consider myself pretty decent. It really helps when people can critique your work, especially if you really enjoy making sigs and you're trying to improve. :)

Also, I didn't think tatu.fatal looked "unprofessional." It was very fun for me. I also go to other forums who allow sigs and they are somewhat regulated so they look presentable. Some who are used to tatysite may think tatu.fatal looked bad but I'd rather have a fun, colorful, creative forum than a dull, "professional"-looking one. After all, this is only a forum, not a press conference. It should be about fun, anyways.

It's not gonna break me that this forum doesn't allow sigs, but I def. wouldnt complain if it did. :coctail:

Leni 05-05-2007 12:44

I guess this just isn´t a bohemian forum :laugh:

And I seriously doubt that very many of the potential signature posters would be "developing artists" like you guys...

la aurora 05-05-2007 13:45

I have forums that have those big signatures. It seriosuly annoys me and makes me tired easily.

But at the same time I do understand people that want a bit more freedom to express themselves. Sometimes I feel like I wouldn't mind using small graphic elements myself.

I don't see a bit problem here though. This forum does have all options needed to switch signatures or attached images off.

Another forum I often read does have sigs and I don't have any problems with it as they have strict rules regarding those sigs (amount of lines of text and images, image-size restricments). Plus they have that thread to discuss them that works like style police and they have a couple of popular signature artists that forumers feel honored with getting sigs from. They have quite a high average age of visitors though, which also helps of course but I wouldn't say tatysite is a kindergarten either.

So my vote is either 'yes but with limitations' or 'hell no no no never'

Khartoun2004 05-05-2007 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasfcuk (Post 350294)
we're elegant and classy here.... no need to evoke any of the kitsch that comes with banners...

Totally agree Cools. Banners suck

Quote:

ohhh, do you need petting on the shoulder to feel good about yourself, baby.... ok... your banners are AWESOME! :gigi:
:lol: oh that just made my day :laugh:

volk1 05-05-2007 21:06

you guys are very very unnecessarily mean. :grustno:
don't think you care, but i just thought you should know.

Amy_Lee_Rocks 05-05-2007 21:47

hmmm..well what else can we do...

Is this thread gonna close?
because i dont see a point in it still being opened
if the dicision has been made..a long time ago..

I believe the statements that Tim did should have
be said in a PM to whoever it conserns to.
But whatever floats your boat dude

Mossopp 05-05-2007 22:08

I think banners should be allowed. This is about the only messageboard I've ever been on which doesn't allow images in signatures.
Of course there would need to be a size limit. I hang around on one MCR forum and some people's signatures take up the entire fucking screen which is a pain in the arse to scroll through.
So yeah, banners should be allowed, but with a size limit.
But this forum - as most of us realised a long time ago - is not a democracy. So it really doesn't matter if the majority vote we should have banners. If the Mods don't want it then we won't get it. End of story.

coolasfcuk 05-05-2007 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mossopp (Post 350395)
But this forum - as most of us realised a long time ago - is not a democracy. So it really doesn't matter if the majority vote we should have banners. If the Mods don't want it then we won't get it. End of story.

my god, stop your moaning and look at the votes... so far more people do NOT want banners....like 30% to 60% so what's the point you are making?

thegurgi 05-05-2007 23:58

not like i post much on this forum, but one of the reasons i like to browse this forum more than others is because there aren't banners. all the pedestrian designs of other forums are really far too distracting and i find myself critiquing the banners and signatures more than reading the actual threads.

Mossopp 06-05-2007 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasfcuk (Post 350403)
my god, stop your moaning and look at the votes... so far more people do NOT want banners....like 30% to 60% so what's the point you are making?

The point I'm making - if you would care to actually read my first post - is that even if the majority of people wanted banners, if the Mods disagreed with popular opinion then we still wouldn't be allowed them. Therefore a poll/vote is a total waste of time.
What the Mods want, the Mods get. End of story. I wasn't "moaning" - I was just stating a fact.
Besides, so far only 18 people have voted. There are hundreds of members on this forum - are 18 votes really a true representation of the views of the members?

QueenBee 06-05-2007 00:05

I wouldn't really say mods, rather admins.
You know, the people who rule this site. :p
I think if everyone really wanted banners, you'd get banners - but as you can see, many agree that it's unnecessary. And it makes the forum unique. So quit whining 'cause it ain't gonna happen :laugh:

Mossopp 06-05-2007 00:09

I just fucking looooooooooove that as soon as I post anything it's automatically classed as "whining" and "moaning". :rolleyes:
Fuck this shit. I'm going back to the CD rips thread where people are less argumentative.

QueenBee 06-05-2007 00:29

Sweetie, I wasn't talking about you specifically - I meant everyone on here in general. And I also thought the :laugh: smiley would prove that I wasn't being entirely serious about asking you to quit whining. But if you wanna "fuck this shit" and go to some other thread, then that's fine by me ;)