PDA

View Full Version : Food & alcohol worldwide

Lux
29-01-2006, 00:36
this is for those who appreciate and enjoy fine cuisine. and wine. and champagne. feel free to name restaurants, dishes, or any other specialties you have experienced. or even anything particular to a place or a region that you care to recollect and make note of.

let's see. a restaurant on 2nd ave had great eggplant ravioli. mmm italian. i also love a good pesto sauce or a balsamic reduction. on friday i had lunch with a coworker at Havana (cuban food) and it was great, and also relatively inexpensive. last night a few friends and i went to a champagne bar that was delectable. :dead: bill came out to $200+ :coctail: what else what else...i so enjoy a seared tuna, or a really good crab cake. a friend recommended an excellent wine bar somewhere in the city that "i MUST try"...there is also Chocolate Bar that serves all chocolate desserts, and to complement, it has a great alcohol menu. and this place where they do dessert before the main course. truly great, for a sweet tooth.

so...
any foodies out there?

Rachel
29-01-2006, 00:38
Nothing better than good ol' British fish & chips! :laugh:

I'm easily pleased :p

Lux
29-01-2006, 00:40
yeah, this is not for fast food or junk food, but for fine cuisine and dining.

oooh i forgot. a restaurant in chelsea has reallly good hispanic food. it was excellent. the cilantro rice was sooo good :dead:

Rachel
29-01-2006, 00:41
I don't do expensive shit, hence the reason for my first post :p

Lux
29-01-2006, 00:43
it's not about the price, but about the quality of preparation, cooking, and presentation.
usually great food cost more but its not something i focus on. but not always. havana was rather inexpensive considering its location and quality of food.

QueenBee
29-01-2006, 00:46
Well I obviously live far far away from you so I can't really mention any streetnames.. :p But I went to a Turkish restaurant not too long ago, and the food was wonderful. Better than I expected. The Turks seem to have lots of meat, it was the first time I tried lamb (as far as I can remember, haha) and it tasted very good and was juicy and just perfect. :liplick:

Khartoun2004
29-01-2006, 04:48
My favorite place in providence has to be a place called Paragon on Thayer Street. They have awesome pasta dishes, burgers and of course skinny hot waitresses. Their bartenders are pretty good too.

If you like coffee as much as I do.... Reflections Cafe on the corner of Wickenden and Governor has the best lattes and cappuccinos outside New York State. My favorite is their Snickers Latte. It has chocolate, carmel and hazelnut syrups in it. Reflections is also a must see if you want to check out Providence's Gay Scene.

The best Pizza outside New York is also on Thayer Street at a place called Antonio's. You can get it by the slice or get a whole pie. A favorite of the Zen Center is the Neopolitian Pizza (Tomates, basil, mozzarella chesse, but balls of it not shredded), but they have something for everyone.

Lux
29-01-2006, 10:05
what do you consider a good cappucino?
i don't consider any coffee cocktail to be good coffee. anything with more than one kind of flavoring is just liquid candy. and pretty american. don't get me wrong, i barista-d for a year and was great at it and i love making coffee drinks, but i don't consider coffee to be good coffee when it's derived from a candy bar. that's just me. i prefer espresso. if without good espresso i drink coffee black. and when it comes to roasts and blends it depends on the mood and/or time of day.

rosh
29-01-2006, 12:21
rachel : ah come on you left out dominos pizza :p i loved the thai green curry one they did for a little while in 2003. their garlic and herb dip is pretty good too :)

my philosophy about food is the following : i eat to live. so eat enough to sustain existance. thats pretty much its function in my life.

restaurants ive enjoyed tho : elephant royale , thai restaurant in island gardens, docklands london. they made the best satay chicken ive ever had in my life. literally melted in my mouth.
url : http://www.elephantroyale.com/ -- was a 5 min walk from my old flat.

browns in oxford : i liked the ambience. it was a trendy place that served regular kinds of food and was a good place for cocktails if you were so inclined.
url : http://www.browns-restaurants.com/index.html

santa fe in reading berkshire : ooo yummy mexican food ! their chips were the bestest ever.
url : http://www.santafe.co.uk/venues/reading/

in india i found that home cooked village food was actually much nicer than restaurant food, so i suppose i could quote the village my family's from ;) haha nah just joking

but a good, no, great indian restaurant in cape town is

bukhara : divine ! http://www.bukhara.com/

but i agree with rachel about fish and chips. some days nothing beats going to the local chippy and then getting some :)

Lux
29-01-2006, 15:36
that may be your philosophy on food but, what to eat is important. i don't eat junk food, which is about 90% of all food here.

rosh
29-01-2006, 15:51
well lets expound on what i do eat when im exercising my "eat to live" theory :

lots of vegetables
lots of fruit
wholegrain rice
some chicken sometimes
some fish, mostly salmon
nuts excluding walnuts and peanuts [hate walnuts, and allergic to peanuts]

i dont drink alcohol, i rarely drink tea or coffee. my mainstays are juice and water really. and i love full cream milk cause anything thats low fat or fat free just tastes like cardboard.

i eat junkfood, but rarely.

Lux
29-01-2006, 22:06
ok. but fine cuisine is essentially all of those things prepared and cooked very well. taste and presentation, although i give far more weight to taste.

freddie
29-01-2006, 23:58
I don't really know what's wrong with fast-food places.

Here's something straight from McDonald's site:

We care about what you and your family eat. That’s why we take great pride in the quality of our food. Since our first restaurant was built, we have purchased quality ingredients from trusted, industry-leading brands. Every day, in every one of our restaurants across the world, our family promises to serve a quality meal every time to your family….we call it our quality promise.
We promise to use only fresh, wholesome ingredients when serving you and your family.
We promise to support agricultural and economic growth in our communities.
We promise to partner with leading industry suppliers and trusted brands.
We promise that our food safety standards will meet or exceed regulatory requirements.
We promise to monitor, measure and inspect the quality of our food, from farm to table, to assure freshness, quality and safety.

Doesn't that just make your mouth water? :D

Okay, to say my bid about expensive restaurants: I've eaten in a really expensive fish restaurant on the island of Crete. I had a sabre-fish and it really was awesome. Can't remember the name of the restaurant though. I also went to a few expensive ones in Nice, France. I never frequent expensive places in Slovenia, though. They're not worth it.

coolasfcuk
30-01-2006, 00:25
:lol:

this thread is hilarious

but to participate in a way - lots of times when I have eatten at a place which you Lux classify here as 'fine cuisine', I've had upset stomach LoL
Here are the most recent places Ive had dinner that I enjoyed:
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/868206/
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/889332/
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/889408
http://www.lime-sf.com/Eat.html
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/868137/
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/889376/?
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/11346281/?
http://www.ramblastapas.com/about.html

yeah, you can see, i usually wine and dine in the Mission with the occasional going outs in Berkeley, such as http://www.chezpanisse.com/ and my very own fav, which is now 5 min walk from where I live: http://www.lamediterranee.net/pages/lamedberkeley.html

:coctail:

Lux
30-01-2006, 00:33
this isn't about price. it's about quality. i really didn't intend to talk about expensive food. but rather good, great, and fantastic food. price isn't the point because i can understand and appreciate cuisine..
some expensive food can be crap and some really great food can be inexpensive, so it's not about price, per se.

Rachel
30-01-2006, 01:17
this isn't about price. it's about quality.Good ol' fashioned British fish & chips = quality :p

There's nothing better than going down to the chippie :laugh:

Food snob :p

Lux
30-01-2006, 01:29
snob? yes.

ypsidan04
30-01-2006, 02:30
Lux, you gotta get yourself down to Little Italy. I forget the name of the restaurant I went to there, but it was amazing. That has to be one of the top few dining experiences in my life. I'm sure that all the places there are very good.

freddie
30-01-2006, 03:54
this isn't about price. it's about quality. i really didn't intend to talk about expensive food. but rather good, great, and fantastic food. price isn't the point because i can understand and appreciate cuisine..
some expensive food can be crap and some really great food can be inexpensive, so it's not about price, per se.

So by that definition... a well made, tasty fast food could qualify as great food, wouldn't it?

coolasfcuk
30-01-2006, 04:14
So by that definition... a well made, tasty fast food could qualify as great food, wouldn't it?
not if it doesnt coast you $200, freds :gigi:

KillaQueen
30-01-2006, 08:16
I don't really know what's wrong with fast-food places.
Here's something straight from McDonald's site:
We care about what you and your family eat. That’s why we take great pride in the quality of our food. Since our first restaurant was built, we have purchased quality ingredients from trusted, industry-leading brands. Every day, in every one of our restaurants across the world, our family promises to serve a quality meal every time to your family….we call it our quality promise.
We promise to use only fresh, wholesome ingredients when serving you and your family.
We promise to support agricultural and economic growth in our communities.
We promise to partner with leading industry suppliers and trusted brands.
We promise that our food safety standards will meet or exceed regulatory requirements.
We promise to monitor, measure and inspect the quality of our food, from farm to table, to assure freshness, quality and safety.
Doesn't that just make your mouth water? :D
well, not really, since i recently found out that mcdonald's people spit in the burgers and in the salads. there was this guy who lived in australia for a couple of years and worked at mcdonald's and told me EVERYONE did that. so... i think i'm gonna think twice before buying something from them. not to mention i had heard rumours people did this here as well. but now i have it confirmed :bum:

rosh
30-01-2006, 08:19
i think macdonalds is quality food. its so overprocessed and overrefined that when you die you will be well preserved. now thats quality :done:

Rachel
30-01-2006, 08:20
I think freddie was being sarcastic, but it doesn't mean every fast food place is the same :p

To be honest I don't really care if someone spits on my food as long as I don't know about it LOL What you don't know doesn't hurt you LOL Well...unless you catch a cold from that person or something LOL

EDIT:

i think macdonalds is quality food. its so overprocessed and overrefined that when you die you will be well preserved. now thats quality :done:LMAOOOOOOOOOOO @ the sarcasm!!! :laugh:

zelda05
30-01-2006, 08:28
To be honest I don't really care if someone spits on my food as long as I don't know about it LOL What you don't know doesn't hurt you LOL Well...unless you catch a cold from that person or something LOL
LMAOOOOOO! :laugh: As long as I don't find a finger in my food, I am fine. LOL

I worked at McD. for two weeks when I was 15yrs of age. I used to spit in ppl food as well. LOL. I quit because obviously I was HORRIBLE!

coolasfcuk
30-01-2006, 08:32
I used to spit in ppl food as well. LOL.
classy ... very classy :rolleyes:

I quit because obviously I was HORRIBLE!
and you aren't now? .. or do you mean that McD was horrible?

zelda05
30-01-2006, 08:39
classy ... very classy :rolleyes:
I was only joking. Believe me. That is too gross! I am NOT that sort of a person.
I was a cashier. And a horrible one.

and you aren't now?
Hell no. Like I said, I worked there for two weeks when I was 15! [school requirement].
I prefer working in an office environment.

Rachel
30-01-2006, 08:45
I was only joking. Believe me.I bet you did it! :laugh:

Worse things in life you could do :p

zelda05
30-01-2006, 08:52
I bet you did it!
:no: My job as a cashier was to hand the closed bag of food to the customer and take the money from them. The MOST horrible two weeks of my life. :bum:

Worse things in life you could do :p
You are right. But spitting in someone's food isn't one of them at least for me. :p

Lux
30-01-2006, 12:17
no because fast food is terrible for your body. none of the ingredients are quality. quality means healthy and nutritional. and i also mean quality to be well prepared, well seasoned, and presented well. please, don't start arguing with me over definitions. this is light hearted. and fun. this isn't about politics or race.

haku
30-01-2006, 15:07
To be honest I don't really care if someone spits on my food as long as I don't know about it LOLSpitting isn't even the worse, you told me once about someone in your town that worked in a McDonalds and added his spunk to the mayonnaise… :laugh: Another of McDonalds promises: the secret ingredient.

The problem with McDonalds is that even if they had quality products, they don't exactly have quality personnel.

Rachel
30-01-2006, 15:36
no because fast food is terrible for your body. none of the ingredients are quality. quality means healthy and nutritional. and i also mean quality to be well prepared, well seasoned, and presented well. please, don't start arguing with me over definitions. this is light hearted. and fun. this isn't about politics or race.You're the one getting all uptight about this, not us, Miss Food Snob! :p We're just have a little debate, as always you're trying to make everyone who doesn't agree with you look stupid! :p Personally I don't think quality = nutricious. Take for example ice cream, I think that can very much be quality without being good for you :p

Spitting isn't even the worse, you told me once about someone in your town that worked in a McDonalds and added his spunk to the mayonnaise… :laugh: Another of McDonalds promises: the secret ingredient..LOL Yeah, now that *IS* gross, doesn't mean every McDonalds employee does it, thankfully LOL

coolasfcuk
30-01-2006, 16:55
You're the one getting all uptight about this, not us, Miss Food Snob! We're just have a little debate, as always you're trying to make everyone who doesn't agree with you look stupid!
yeah, lux ... besides, Europe does not have such big issue/problem like USA about good and nutritious, because Euro food is not quite so fucking mutated! So, the responses you'd be getting from non-Americans could only be comprehanded if you've been/lived in a non-American country ... have you?
And to tell you the truth, even McD tastes better in Europe :lol: not to mention you can have a beer while having their nasty burger :coctail:

Rachel
30-01-2006, 17:05
not to mention you can have a beer while having their nasty burger :coctail:Unfortunately they don't do that in the UK :( After going to McD's in Switzerland I was shocked to find out that in several countries they sold beer in McDonalds LOL

coolasfcuk
30-01-2006, 17:12
Unfortunately they don't do that in the UK :( After going to McD's in Switzerland I was shocked to find out that in several countries they sold beer in McDonalds LOL
:eek: UK is the first one I hear that doesnt ..that's what you get for being so 'close' to the USA LoL ... now that i think about it, i never went to McD in sweden - I wonder if they sell it there, since they also have that 21 to drink hard alcohol deal...

Rachel
30-01-2006, 17:16
I wonder if they sell it there, since they also have that 21 to drink hard alcohol deal...OMG Really?! :eek: I thought Sweden was pretty liberal. 21 is rediculous in my opinion. Laws on drinking are pretty stupid anyway, everyone whatever age they are always manage to get hold of any alcohol they want. I remember when I was 11 there was a guy who used to try to sell us alcohol on the street at double the price :laugh: Well, when you're that age all you wanna do is look cool and impress your friends so of course you buy it :rolleyes:

coolasfcuk
30-01-2006, 17:18
OMG Really?! :eek: I thought Sweden was pretty liberal.
well it is liberal ... but they have issues with the drinking .... alse, sweden is the place where you cannot buy anything buy beer at the grocery store :lol: ... and also, their beer is classified in several cathegories- very alcoholic (aka NORMAL beer), medium alcohol, non-alcoholic and so on ... i think you can buy beer @18, but gotta wait 3 more years for vodka for example, which makes no sense, as you can get pretty drunk with beer alone anyway..

Rachel
30-01-2006, 17:24
LMAO That is insane!!! That's not fair if you don't like beer but you like vodka LOL

And they don't sell alcohol at a grocery store?!!! That's laughable LOL

A few months ago they changed the law here so you can buy alcohol any time of the day *loves 24 hour supermarkets LOL* before then most shops had to stop selling at 11pm and clubs usually would stop about 3am-ish.

So of course at 10.45pm you would see queues of people lining up to buy alcohol before it got to 11pm LOL

marina
30-01-2006, 17:33
I cannot believe it !
Second page and we still haven't seen anything. In the Foodies thread, of all the threads !
I really need to see more goodies. (http://static.flickr.com/41/74688802_13670c6503.jpg?v=0)

QueenBee
30-01-2006, 17:35
since they also have that 21 to drink hard alcohol deal...
:no:

It's 18 at bars and restaurants etc., it's 20 at the liquor store. (for any kind of alcohol)
Only 'light' beer is sold at the grocery store, and you must be 18.

But you can buy it at any age ilegally :laugh:

marina
30-01-2006, 17:39
It's 18 at bars and restaurants etc., it's 20 at the liquor store.

What time people usually go to bed ?
half past nine ?:laugh:

Rachel
30-01-2006, 17:41
goodies. (http://static.flickr.com/41/74688802_13670c6503.jpg?v=0)YUM! :liplick: :liplick: :liplick:

It's 18 at bars and restaurants etc., it's 20 at the liquor store.Why?! :spy: I don't see the difference. It's not as though people who own bars care whether you're giving yourself alcohol poisoning - they aint gonna keep an eye on you, they just want your cash!

But you can buy it at any age ilegally :laugh:Thankfully! :laugh:

EDIT:

I changed the thread title so we can talk about alcohol aswell :p So no lux, we haven't gone off-topic :p

haku
30-01-2006, 17:45
Unfortunately they don't do that in the UK :( After going to McD's in Switzerland I was shocked to find out that in several countries they sold beer in McDonalds LOL
McDonalds don't sell beer in France either, but it's not because they don't have the right, it's because French people drink very little beer and certainly not while eating. :gigi:

Laws on alcohol are pretty liberal here i think, the age limit is 16, and you can find alcohol in grocery stores, supermarkets, etc 24/7, even in gas stations, lol.
And prices are rather cheap, which is why British people take the ferries every weekends to buy alcohol on the French side of the Channel. :laugh:

Rachel
30-01-2006, 17:48
McDonalds don't sell beer in France either, but it's not because they don't have the right, it's because French people drink very little beer and certainly not while eating. :gigi:You're all too sophisticated for that :p

And prices are rather cheap, which is why British people take the ferries every weekends to buy alcohol on the French side of the Channel. :laugh:LOL Yep :gigi: Different country but me and a few friends are going over to Belgium in a few months to get a load of cheap cigs & alcohol :gigi: Ahhh....I'm so British LMAO :laugh:

coolasfcuk
30-01-2006, 17:54
omg, i have all my stats wrong LoL ... well, i knew there is something funky going on with the swedes anyway ..... i juyst remember my surprise when i couldnt buy wine for the delicious dinner i was cooking while shopping at the grocery store... which was closing at 7pm by the way LoL

no beer in France either :eek: well, it tells you how often i visit McD LoL

marina, since lux is demanding nutritious food, i will assume that those are vitamin gummy bears :heh: :laugh:

Rachel
30-01-2006, 17:56
...those are vitamin gummy bears :heh: :laugh:I'll say that to my mum next time she lectures me on how much candy I eat :rolleyes: LMAO :p

Kappa
30-01-2006, 18:00
Nothing better than sashimi and sake at the local sushi bar. :yes: There's several good of those around my house.

QueenBee
30-01-2006, 18:02
I don't see the difference. It's not as though people who own bars care whether you're giving yourself alcohol poisoning - they aint gonna keep an eye on you, they just want your cash!
Well, if they need that stupid rule, I think it should be the other way around. I mean, what's safer? Getting drunk at some bar by yourself, then having to walk home drunk, or taking it easy in your own home and having a drink? I mean, who gives a fcuk if you get drunk in your house?? It's much safer that way.

I think Sweden completely sucks when it comes to these things.
Come on, even in Denmark you can buy cigs legally at age 16!

Rachel
30-01-2006, 18:07
I think it should be the other way around. I mean, what's safer? Getting drunk at some bar by yourself, then having to walk home drunk, or taking it easy in your own home and having a drink? I mean, who gives a fcuk if you get drunk in your house?? It's much safer that way.Yeah, that's definately true.

Risks:

Getting into a fight.
Getting robbed and being able to do nothing about it.
Getting raped.
Getting run over by a car.
Falling over and hurting yourself.

etc

My bro's friend *very nearly* fell off a cliff into the sea while on holiday. They were walking back to the hotel and got lost while *very* drunk :rolleyes: Then the next night the guy fell down a ditch and broke one of his legs :rolleyes: Yep, the guy drinks rather too much :rolleyes:

So yep, MUCH safer in your own home!

marina
30-01-2006, 18:12
those are vitamin gummy bears

a dietary supplement !:laugh:
I am getting my daily dosage of vitamins when I eat my gummy bears.

freddie
30-01-2006, 19:12
We have a very strict law here prohibiting ANYONE from buying alcohol after 9pm (you can still get it in bars and clubs, of course). Plus you have to be 18 to purchase alcohol legally in the first place. I always need my ID handy, cause they often don't believe me I'm 18+.

Funny story that happened to me in Maine, USA: I tried to buy 2 cans of beer in a supermarket. The guy at the cash register looked at me carefully and said: "Could I see some ID please?", "Sure!" I replied offering him my Slovene ID (my DoB was written on it of course... in two langauges nonetheless slovene/english). He looked at it... passed it on to the manager of the store. They looked at it together, carefully examining it for a minute or so. After that they announced their verdict: "Sorry, sir. We're gonna need to see your STATE ID." I was like: "Wha'? I'm not American... I don't HAVE a state ID." They shruged. I proceeded to futily show them my a) Passport, b) Law Student Card, c) International Student Card (all containing my pic, name and DOB). No, no and no. Nothing helped. They were still willing to part with those 2 cans of beer only if I showed them my State ID. State regulations forced them, they defended themselves.
There was a guy with me in the store (much older and American). I gave him my $20, 2 cans and said: "Fine! So he'll buy them for me!" Or so I thought. "Nope! Can't do that!" manchilds informed me..."if he buys them now it'd be OBVIOUS he's buying them for you." So I had no choice but to take those cans back to the freezer and walk out thirsty, yet still amused as hell. Actually come to think of it I just left them on the counter and walked out. I'm guessing someone with a State ID carried them back to the freezer.

coolasfcuk
30-01-2006, 22:42
a dietary supplement !:laugh:
I am getting my daily dosage of vitamins when I eat my gummy bears.
hihi, but really, the things american's come up with... there are gummy bears that actually do have vitamins: http://www.yummibears.com/ ... i just found that out the other day when my friend had a bottle of them in her car... needless to say i overdosed on Vitamin C :lol:

QueenBee
30-01-2006, 22:46
LOL @ the fireworks!
"It's like this, but in your mouth."

HAHAHAH

zebu
30-01-2006, 22:56
i loved those candies that do "fireworks" in mouth when lil

laws r very simple here, no alcohol for ppl under 18, stores, bars, caffes... but, when i was underage i had no trouble buying/drinking anywhere and i didnt look older. ive heard theyre a bit stricker now, with cigs too. actually last year a waiter asked me if i was 18 :confused:, but i also remember buying cigs and wine for parents when i was really really young with no problems. and alcohol can be bought in all stores, all cafes serve it too, the most handy r those news/tobacco stands that stay open pretty much all night and where u can buy those lil bottles of cheap brandy, rum, vodka...beer too

Lux
31-01-2006, 00:33
i've yet to find a good indian restaurant in this city :(

there are plenty of good korean, thai, chinese, and japanese food but no indian. nothing good that won't give you explosive diarrhea for a week. trust me..there are true stories.

this is for those who appreciate and enjoy fine cuisine. and wine. and champagne.

apparently no one understands that. :none: :coctail:

Rachel
31-01-2006, 02:31
apparently no one understands that. :none: :coctail:Just you Lux, in your own little world ;)

Lux
31-01-2006, 03:21
just me! all me!!! weeeeeeeee for FINE CUISINE :10x: :coctail: :drunkonself:

zelda05
31-01-2006, 07:47
Funny story that happened to me in Maine, USA
I can't blame the cashier or manager. Anyway, what hotel did you stay in? They should've had alcohol.

i've yet to find a good indian restaurant in this city :(
Really! They must have been outsourced to India.

Lux
31-01-2006, 12:17
why were you in Maine? of all places

it is THE place to get lobster:dead: or go white water rafting/camping and hiking

Khartoun2004
31-01-2006, 22:33
i don't consider any coffee cocktail to be good coffee. anything with more than one kind of flavoring is just liquid candy. and pretty american. don't get me wrong, i barista-d for a year and was great at it and i love making coffee drinks, but i don't consider coffee to be good coffee when it's derived from a candy bar. that's just me. i prefer espresso. if without good espresso i drink coffee black. and when it comes to roasts and blends it depends on the mood and/or time of day.

I only drink espresso, regular coffee tastes like flavored water to me. Multiple flavors are fine as long as they do not over power each other, adding subtle flavors to things, imho, gives them more character. What I mean by "good" coffee is it should above all else taste like coffee. I don't really care how many flavors or syrups a person wants to put in my latte as long as it doesn't overpower the taste of my coffee... If I really wanted to drink something that tasted only like chocolate, I would stay home and drink Chocolate milk.

Lux
01-02-2006, 12:07
I only drink espresso, regular coffee tastes like flavored water to me. Multiple flavors are fine as long as they do not over power each other, adding subtle flavors to things, imho, gives them more character. What I mean by "good" coffee is it should above all else taste like coffee. I don't really care how many flavors or syrups a person wants to put in my latte as long as it doesn't overpower the taste of my coffee... If I really wanted to drink something that tasted only like chocolate, I would stay home and drink Chocolate milk.

yes, finally. comparatively, that is what junk food is to me. if people are going to buy a meat cocktail on some bread, or meat and potatoes deep fried in questionable oil, that's fine but it tastes like shit to me.

i drink regular brewed coffee on occasion if the roast and blend is good. most of them aren't, especially in the city, you really have to *look to find a good coffee bar. otherwise you have starbucks and...starbucks.

spyretto
01-02-2006, 16:56

The Italians use the frothy alot, in fact so much that you get the taste of the lingering froth and not the coffee....haven't tried their espresso yet but I'm sure it's gonna be fab.

As for Macdonalds, yeah it's really classy food :bum: ....those ludicrously thinly-cut "fries" so drenched in animal fat that their stink...the spent coke and the iced cold milkshake that sticks on the straw...and god knows what they put in those burgers...spitting on them? why doesn't it surprise me in the least.. Then again when you're pissed you can't tell the difference, right?
You're still left hungry after you eat their junk food anyway..gotta supplement it with some real food ;)

Come to think about it, fish and chips can be a relatively healthy option...as long as it's from a good chip shop.

Nah, I'll wait till my next trip to Greece to eat properly ;)

Lux
03-02-2006, 01:25
i haven't had a good cappuccino in a long time. there' is a little italian cafe with a bit of food on 5th and 40th. haven't tried it yet, but i will.

PowerPuff Grrl
03-02-2006, 19:18
I always used to think that people who diss Mickey D's were classist bastards. In Canada, or at least in Ottawa, most of the Mickey D's were renovated to adopt the "Subway" and "Mr. Sub" (another franchise restaurant, relatively healthier) style of serving food; everything is prepared in front of you.
McDonald's is junk. I go there once in a while expecting junk food and nothing more. Plus the food is mothafucking exquisite!

That is until I went to Milwaukee (DO NOT GO THERE!!!). Compared to that, McDonald's in Canada is practically gourmet food, let's just leave it at that. And Americans don't even have the Big Xtra, you guys don't know what you're missing!

But enough about fast food. I usually frequent Vietnamese, Thai, and Ethiopian restaurants. Of the three Vietnamese is my absolute favourite! Particularly the Beef Noodle Soup and Cha Gio (sp?) eggrolls.

I actually don't like going to Ethiopian restaurants only because I hate paying for things I can always get at home. However, somebody needs to teach my friends how eat East African food and that person is me (they eat with two hands, it's sooo cute!). As for my favourite dishes in Ethiopian/Eritrean is, of course, Sebhe (seb-hee), other honourable mentions would be Behrsin and Sherho all of which are served on Injera, I honestly don't know how to spell these in English.

On the whole coffee/cappuccino thing; I just have regular coffee mostly at Tim Hortons ("medium double-double, please" Canadian reference). If not that then I'd have it Eritrea/Ethiopian style ("Bun" for Eritreans and Buna for Ethiopians) but really I think there's no difference.

Lux
04-02-2006, 17:15
last night i had the best coffee i've had so far here. an off beat little cafe in brooklyn.:none: the roast was full bodied, slightly nutty and very, very good.

Sean Jon
04-02-2006, 17:55
Last night I drank a mix of Citrus Vodka with White Merlot and it was quite good! LOL, I got so drunk.

Lux
04-02-2006, 18:16
white wine and hard liquor? never them together....at least it was good. usually those two shouldn't be mixed

Sean Jon
05-02-2006, 00:05
Yeah, i dunno, someone just poured it for me. it was good though.

teeny
05-02-2006, 12:08
this is for those who appreciate and enjoy fine cuisine. and wine. and champagne.

apparently no one understands that.
there are plenty of good korean, thai, chinese, and japanese food but no indianBut is indian and chinese food fine cuisine? :ithink: I mean I enjoy chinese food, but it's not really that far above the fast food price. And having it at a really expensive restaurant doesn't really improve the taste much since the recipy is the same. So I'll go for the less expensive one and enjoy the food more because it's cheaper.
As for wine and champagne I still haven't found my way to fully enjoy either of the two.

Now back to the more important stuff: McD in Denmark - no beer. Where did you get your stats from, chef Chris? Since fast food chains like McD, Burger King and Kentucky Fried Chicken are american, they don't sell beer in Denmark either. Our own fastfood chains like.. *starts to think*.. errrhhhmmm.. *thinks harder* :none: there are no danish fast food chains..
Sausage stands sells beer though :D And they have mighty fine cuisine

freddie
05-02-2006, 15:23
I think you can buy beer at McDonald's here. I'm not completely sure, but I'll check. I could have sworn I saw a beer logo next to the standard Coke/Sprice/Fanta ones, a while back. In any case I'm absolutely sure they served beer in Dairy Queen in the 90s. I know this since I had a few there. Unfortunately Dairy Queen and it's franchises decided to pull out of Central and Eastern Europe after bad business results .

QueenBee
05-02-2006, 16:05
Has anyone mentioned kebab yet? :gigi:

Rachel
05-02-2006, 16:07
LMAOOOO The finest cuisine when you are drunk :laugh:

I prefer the other kind of kebab myself LMAOOO :lalala:

zelda05
05-02-2006, 16:55
I could have sworn I saw a beer logo next to the standard Coke/Sprice/Fanta ones, a while back
Are you sure it wasn't Root Beer? :p

Has anyone mentioned kebab yet?
Yummy! :gigi:

marina
05-02-2006, 16:58
I prefer the other kind of kebab myself LMAOOO

you wanted to say taco ?:D

teeny
05-02-2006, 17:08
you wanted to say taco ?or durúm?

marina
05-02-2006, 17:10
er...durum ?
never have pleasure to know :D

freddie
05-02-2006, 19:34
Are you sure it wasn't Root Beer? :p

We don't have root beer. :p

coolasfcuk
05-02-2006, 21:57
Now back to the more important stuff: McD in Denmark - no beer. Where did you get your stats from, chef Chris?
duh! Must be the damn northerners that are such then... or rather, must be the Eastern Euros that are progressive like that... because, I have been to McD in Sofia and i know FOR SURE they sell beer, look: http://www.mcdonalds.bg/new_md/display.php?p=menu&pp=drinks .. the 4th one from the bottom Бира = Beer :coctail: I also remember going to McD in Czech Praha and they were selling beer as well, look: http://www.mcdonalds.cz/jidelnicek/produkty.shtml, where Studene Napoja = cold drinks and the last choice Plzensky Prazdoj = [Kind of Czech Beer :coctail: ..... I guess I dont really eat in McD to know about other countries, those are my onlyl random encounters on McD in Europe, so I assumed its everywhere ..

other random examples of people drinking beer in McD:

http://acmeme.org/all/travel/prague/agharta/beer_at_mcdonalds.JPG
http://www.midgard-project.org/midcom-serveattachmentguid-5de3703b9da5710669ba1bccc509a9b8/view_paris2-037
http://www.brown-college.org/img/profile/787Copy%20of%20IMGP1617.JPG
http://www.nantyglo.com/tourism/2002/aug16/images/101-0107_IMG.JPG
http://mikee.co.uk/world/europe/spain/sansebastian/san015.jpg -

teeny
06-02-2006, 13:49
other random examples of people drinking beer in McDwhy did I click the links? Now I'm hungry.. damn. And thats not a good thing when I'm trapped at home because of a fever.

Lux
07-02-2006, 03:27
you don't have root beer!!! i loved it when i was younger

Rachel
07-02-2006, 03:31
It's an American thing.

QueenBee
07-02-2006, 05:32
Ahhhh you guys just reminded me of this fantastic American store downtown... they have American food, and awesome root beer :D (And Simpsons-toys :laugh: )

When me and my friends first went there, we were like, is this beer? LOL

zelda05
07-02-2006, 08:44
You don't have root beer. What a shame! :p
anyway, you are not missing much..

When me and my friends first went there, we were like, is this beer? LOL
LMAO! Root Beer was the first soda i drank when I came to the States. I believe I had a terrible hangover. :laugh: j/k.

Rachel
07-02-2006, 14:25
You don't have root beer. What a shame! :p No, what a relief.

anyway, you are not missing much...Indeed.

zelda05
07-02-2006, 14:37
Indeed.
I am glad that someone agrees with me.
(I think it tastes like medicine.)

marina
07-02-2006, 17:34
some food pics (http://legnangel.livejournal.com/564026.html#cutid1)

Rachel
07-02-2006, 18:00
marina, how could you show me this (http://www.ljplus.ru/img/l/e/legnangel/dondurma.JPG)?!!! *Hungry now* :(

:liplick: :liplick: :liplick:

Lux
08-02-2006, 02:39
oh my god i don't even like ice cream and that looks good :dead:

nath
08-02-2006, 10:26
Offtop:
some food pics
Marvellous pics marina! Thanks a lot for sharing those frustrating photos!! :mad: *run into the chocolate box of Olga , now.....poor baby , she won't get anymore when she will come back from work!!*

marina
04-03-2006, 14:02
Food replaced sex in my life . And I'm stuffing myself with divine dark chocolate full of wine and figs inside ! (http://www.morinaga.co.jp/chocolates/dolssy/main.html)

QueenBee
04-03-2006, 14:33
Ahhh you guys made me hungry now!
*Remembers pizza in the freezer*