PDA

View Full Version : Eras of music

Lux
06-01-2006, 04:27
the other day i was talking to a friend (who's 30) about 80s music and i dissed the 80s completely and he got upset. apparently, the 80s means more to him than to me because he grew up during that time period. that is, the period where he grew the most as a person coincided with the 1980s. and i apologized because i realized this. for me, i grew up in the 90s and that time period coincides with my greatest development as a person. i, as a person, am ever changing but that period of time included fundamental changes to my character.

my question is, does one period of time in your life coincide with one period of music?

the period doesn't have to be a decade or anything, it could be a year, or any period of time where alot happened in the music industry.

Kappa
06-01-2006, 04:36
The 90's would have to be it.

Rachel
06-01-2006, 04:37
90s too :)

KillaQueen
06-01-2006, 04:45
my question is, does one period of time in your life coincide with one period of music?
well, for sure. there was music when i was born, while i was growing up and heck, there's still music today :gigi:
nah, i get your point. well, this thing never applied to me, i guess. i started developing as a person in the '90s, yet i like more the '70s and '80s. but if i were to choose, i'd probably choose the period: '75-'95. i don't really like how music has 'evolved' since then, generally speaking of course.

Lux
06-01-2006, 04:46
true. alot of the artists that have been around for ages sound commercial and bland. i.e. no doubt. or dmb, alanis morissette, etc. i'm glad garbage came back with a decent album after 98's beautiful garbage. a bloody nightmare.

Rachel
06-01-2006, 04:53
i don't really like how music has 'evolved' since then, generally speaking of course.Same here, I love everything from 1990-95, but after then the majority of stuff I dislike. I love lots of oldschool dance music from the 90s such as Snap, Energy 52, Felix, Duke, Baby D, Ayla, EBTG etc...

freddie
06-01-2006, 05:21
I grew up in the 80s. A decade when the hair-dressers went nuts, people wore tight jeans and played PacMan at the arcades...

As far as music memories 3 things come to mind: There was nothing more huge than MJ... 80s were stiffled with MJ. Whatever he did turned to gold by default. He was a legend. An absolute myth. People who grew up in those times still have respect for him, despite the shambolic state of his later career. I remember watching Dirty Diana video on TV back in 1987 wondering whether it's possible for a person to get any bigger than this? As of 2006... it's not.

Second thing I remember was Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called To Say I Love You" from 1984 - I learned it by heart, purely by intonation, since I didn't speak a word of english. It's still the sign of the times for me. Nostalgia overload.

3rd thing I remember was my friend dying from cancer back in 1989 and me going to visit him in the hospital. Whitney Houston's "One Moment In Time" was playing on the radio. Everytime I hear that song it reminds me of him.

It seems like I was much more prone to outside influence back then, cause I seriously don't remember any such musical excerpts from the 90s or 00s... sure there were memorable moments, but nothing stayed engraved in my mind quite like the 80s did. I still smile goofishly every time I hear a cheesy 80s synth-pop tune on the radio. It's not that the music was all that grand... it's just the fact that it represents a moment caught in time which makes me remember the past. Like that epic work by Marcel Proust - Rememberance Of Things Past... Marcel drinks tea with a petite madeleine (kind of a Cake) that eventually reminds him of a similar combination of cake and tea he used to enjoy at Combray during his childhood - that specific cake's taste alone makes him remember his whole childhood he spent in Combray in extraordinary detail and clarity. I guess the 80s are my petite madelaine.

midori
06-01-2006, 09:08
I think it was in 2000 when i started to listen music :p

Lux
07-01-2006, 01:32
well this thread went nowhere fast

febrika
14-01-2006, 12:18
me grew up in 80's to 90's era but my dad used to listen Nat King Cole, Beatles, Everly Brothers, Frank Sinatra, Carpenters, Connie Francis and lotta 60's era singer. and my mom used to listen blues e.g. gary moore, eric clapton, and some jimmy hendrix stuff, deep purple also. my uncle tought me about Queen :D meanwhile, in radio i listen to new kids on the block, whitney houston, debbie gibson, vanilla ice, milli vanili yeah LOL. i listen to all of 'em and i grow up with those many many songs i listen. and i fell in love with them with nothing perticular. each bring different memories.

dare2dream28
15-01-2006, 08:49
I have a couple of periods that I really remember:

1. Early 90s music, before 1994....whenever I hear that (Mairah Carey, Whitney Houston pre-drugs, New Kids on the Block, etc), I always think of how I spent my summers at the youth center on the military base I lived in & it just brings back fond memories.

2. 1995-2001...the height of Shania Twain mania, which was HUGE for me because that's when I was 10-17 years old, which for some reason had SUCH an unbelievable impact on me. I can honestly say that Shania's music & just her in general shaped who I am today. I really don't even know where I would be if I didn't have her music so that is by far the most important 'musical era' of my life. And I still listen to/look up to her. :D

3. 2002-2004...this was when I was most involved with t.A.T.u. Lesbians or not, this band is what a)introduced me into the lesbian/gay world b)led me to this forum, which is truely a godsend because I met some very good friends that really opened my eyes (actually that's an understatement, more like blew my freaken head off with the realization of stuff LOL) and c)most importantly, made me realize & acknowledge that yes, I *do* feel attraction towards other females & that yeah, I'm on the road to persuing those feelings. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm on my way. If it wasn't for t.A.T.u. leading me to a forum where I got to read other people's opinions that were so similar to my own & feel like I was able to express my own views on the girls withough being too criticized, I'd probably be driving myself crazy. LOL

This was a really good topic to start. Music has always played such a big role in my life that I just can't bare to think of what life would be without music.

Lux
15-01-2006, 12:44
thanks

let's see. that's a great way to break it down.

1989-1994 - no idea what was going on. moved around alot, didn't know anything. didn't listen to much.

1995 - 1999 alanis morissette, dave matthews band, garbage, counting crows, lots of other mainstream artists i can't recall right now.

2000-2002 whoa pop :dead: alot of emo and mixes of random songs

2003 - present curiosity pushed me to find out about t.A.T.u.
i listen to a wide variety of music, but i don't listen to all of it at once. most of the time i listen to whatever suits the mood.

KellyJ
12-04-2006, 06:08
What is happening with the music era. Its like all the new music generation is altering their music so it sounds good. Does no one play their own stuff now. You turn on a Radio station and at least every 10 songs there is a band on there using someone elses lyrics or back ground music or even just doing a cover song. The music industry needs to get back to its roots. You can take anyone who cant sing at all and alter their voice and you have a selling record. Also what we need to see is more solo guitar playing like Jimi H style. You dont hear anything like you use to in the good old days.
I think Im going to go throw together any piece of crap and make millions too. :D

zebu
12-04-2006, 10:31
cant say i remember music from 80s too much, was too lil, but i rediscovered it later. i love the 80s parties in some club, its happy music to jump around. 90s was bleh, few good bands, but talking bout the whole period it sucked. and 2000s uff so many bands emerging after the period when it seemed rocked has died and rap and things like that would take over the world.

anyway my biggest revelation was placebo in 1999, immediately fell in love with them and radiohead in 1997, ok computer, one of the best albums ever.

now with bands like franz ferdinand, kaiser chiefs, killers, arctic monkeys and many more id say its a gread period in music.

KellyJ
12-04-2006, 17:04
I do think that we have a lot of talent these days.:) Im just pissed that no one is really in control of their own Contract. That managers and record labels are telling these talented bands how to act and what sells. Take Korn for an example. Only this yr after 10 years Korn is now in total control of what they want to do in the way of sounding and performing. My buddy here has a record label and because he didnt listen to them they yanked his albums from the store until he agreed to follow his contract. I think if these labels let these bands do what they want then our telented bands will be even better then they are. For example one of the best albums ever is Offsprings Smash album. It was hard heavy music but because the music industry is changing so much Offspring is now doing pop sounding music and its really bad when they are remaking songs by the Police. I think every group needs to find a sound that they love playing and stick with it unless they want to change(not because their label want them to). Kid Rock was the only peformer that stated"when performing live you are bound to screw up once in awhile cause its live"but these producers now a days usually freak out when someone is off key a bit. I think that we just need to get back to the basics where is was fun to go watch a concert and everything was unexpected. We are lucky if concerts last even and hr. I stood In line for 5 hrs for Avril Lavigne Tickets then another 6 hrs just lined up to get into the show. Once in the show stood there for 2 hrs for the first act to come on then another hour after that so they could set up her stage all for what a stupid 45 to hour concert. In my opinion we need more bands like Greenday who even you know the whole Grunge Punk days are over are still playing what makes them happy.

Hurt Me Too
12-04-2006, 22:15
Dispite the fact that I grew up in the 90s I'm very attached to the 80s and they have in a way defined who I as a person am.
The early 90s for me was all about my parents musical tastes, Queen, Tod, Beachboys, beatles. Later 90s was Spice Girls Britney and No Doubt.

But the 80s, dispite me not living except for the last two years of them, I'm very attatched to them. They had some of my favorite music which includes DuranDuran, and Madonna and a few Cher songs that I was introduced to during the 80s..cause when I was young I had no concept of life in the 60s....

2000-2002: I listened to nothing except the previous stuff as I didn't like the new excuses for music.

2003: t.A.T.u. They have defined music for me, and have had the shortest carreer of anyone I've ever liked, and I feel I owe them alot for some reason.

and for a flashback right now I'm listening to Holiday, by Madonna obviously. It's kind of strange, I dress very much in the so called gothic way, black eyeliner. But I don't listen to dark depressing music.

QueenBee
12-04-2006, 22:19
The 90's - Whenever Hanson got famous.
Not because I liked them, but because I remember that when that goddamn "Mmmbop" song was playing, it was always played next to songs I enjoyed alot. All pop of course, but not as mainstream as it is now.

I literally sat in front of TV watching MTV all day long, just listening to the music (Yeah I know, MTV? WTF? It didn't suck back then, y'know).
Not sure if it changed me personally, though, it's just that, when I hear those old songs I wanna cry 'cause I'm like "Damn, life isn't what it used to be"

Hurt Me Too
12-04-2006, 22:25
I actually liked Hanson! way better than any of those other boybands! Hanson had this one song called Yearbook...and i loved it....music used to be so much better. ::Cries::

your avatar looks like a sexy drag queen...

spyretto
12-04-2006, 22:30
1991 was the best year commercially for hard rock/metal music ever.. Metallica released their "black" album, Guns n' Roses had Use Your illusion I and II selling 7 million copies in a night, Red Hot Chili Peppers had their breakthrough with Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Pantera's Vulgar Display Of Power was released around about that time - probably 92, I think, the best bands from the grundge era were beginning to roll ( Pearl Jam with Ten, Soundgarden with Badmotorfinger, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Screaming Trees and of course Nirvana who kinda killed off the whole scene in the end ), the Bay Area and Californian thrash/metal scenes were very much alive and kicking, and there was some pop metal around which wasn't half bad. Primarly Goth bands like the Sistes of Mercy got their heavy guitars off the closets and yeah...pretty cool time back then, I'd bought a lot of albums that year.

Oh by the way, the 80's was rubbish...but there was some good music around, indeed and that showed later, as a lot of the musicians/bands of that time proved much more talented than their contemporaries.

zebu
12-04-2006, 22:30
I do think that we have a lot of talent these days.:) Im just pissed that no one is really in control of their own Contract. That managers and record labels are telling these talented bands how to act and what sells. Take Korn for an example. Only this yr after 10 years Korn is now in total control of what they want to do in the way of sounding and performing. My buddy here has a record label and because he didnt listen to them they yanked his albums from the store until he agreed to follow his contract. I think if these labels let these bands do what they want then our telented bands will be even better then they are. For example one of the best albums ever is Offsprings Smash album. It was hard heavy music but because the music industry is changing so much Offspring is now doing pop sounding music and its really bad when they are remaking songs by the Police. I think every group needs to find a sound that they love playing and stick with it unless they want to change(not because their label want them to). Kid Rock was the only peformer that stated"when performing live you are bound to screw up once in awhile cause its live"but these producers now a days usually freak out when someone is off key a bit. I think that we just need to get back to the basics where is was fun to go watch a concert and everything was unexpected. We are lucky if concerts last even and hr. I stood In line for 5 hrs for Avril Lavigne Tickets then another 6 hrs just lined up to get into the show. Once in the show stood there for 2 hrs for the first act to come on then another hour after that so they could set up her stage all for what a stupid 45 to hour concert. In my opinion we need more bands like Greenday who even you know the whole Grunge Punk days are over are still playing what makes them happy.

ppl u mentioned avril, korn, kid rock :confused: dont see much talent or something new. they seem fake and manufactured. u dont have to limit urself to what mtv serves u. there r quite popular bands in europe at the moment that signed with small labels, surely not telling them what to do. so anythings possible

Hurt Me Too
12-04-2006, 22:34
I've never listened to Advil...avril I mean (who names their kid avril by the way???) korn or kid rock. they are very...not true to themselves. Advil mostly. She used to be all punk...but then that wasn't cool so she became a skater girl...and then that wasn't cool so now shes all dressing nice. It's rather sad that she's not even a reflection of herself she's like a mannequin of the record company's expectations. At least Britney stayed with the same genre and didn't change herself completely.

Holy crap, I'm passt 100 posts! yay!

QueenBee
12-04-2006, 22:41
Holy crap, I'm passt 100 posts! yay!
Congrats!

Avril sucks. Always had. She said "I don't need to dress all pretty" and now you see her with cute tops and high heels. Oh well, people change. It's just that she was so obviously fake.

Here's Avril Lavigne's ass for everyone to kiss (http://www.torontopics.com/cbc/avass.jpg)

Hurt Me Too
12-04-2006, 22:46
well...if i wasn't gay before

KellyJ
12-04-2006, 23:01
Oh I totally agree that Avril Lavinge and Korn and even Kid rock are manufactured I was just stating the fact it took Korn that long to have an "open" contract. Avril Lavigne is one of the worst I think. She only got signed cause Shania Twain was having a contest. Thats another thing these stupid Idol contests. I know T.a.t.u is not better when It comes to the whole marketing thing aswell but I love them.

The only reason aswell why Avril is changing the way she is, is because of her stupid bf Dereck. Mr. Sum41.

spyretto
12-04-2006, 23:05
I think t.A.T.u are better cause they're Russians...that starts them off from a higher place than the rest straight away ;)