PDA

View Full Version : Dogs being used as live bait! Please sign petition!

Sean Jon
23-10-2005, 03:48
Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005450117,00.html

----

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/mgmvefanatic/doghook.jpg

STRAY dogs are being skewered on hooks and dragged behind boats as live shark bait, The Sun can shockingly reveal.

The cruel practice takes place on French-controlled Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, where Prince William spent two holidays.

A six-month-old labrador pup was recently found ALIVE with a huge double hook through its snout - like the dog above - and another through a leg.

The pup was found in a coastal creek and is thought to have somehow freed itself from a fishing line.

But other dogs and kittens have been chomped up and swallowed by sharks.

The RSPCA plans to petition the French government, demanding an end to the hideous torture.

Sign the petition: http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=sharkbait

YLuelniaa
24-10-2005, 04:53
ohmygod...thats just awful as so cruel......

Ningyo
24-10-2005, 05:51
This somehow sounds like the "Bonsai Kitten" thing...

KillaQueen
24-10-2005, 07:32
that's horrible! :( heartless people.

dEaD_oR_aLiVe
24-10-2005, 07:53
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/sharkbait.asp

Gotta love snopes ;) But if this is really happening, it is awful :(

haku
24-10-2005, 12:49
Typical French-hating article from the Anglo-Saxon press, nothing surprising. :rolleyes:

Rachel
24-10-2005, 13:44
Amber, is that all you have to say? You care more about what one article says about your country than all the dogs that are being killed? Are you saying you agree with what they're doing? Coz if you are that could seriously change our friendship. :bum:

marina
24-10-2005, 14:18
That story is a little bit fishy.....I've seen these pics on Internet at least two weeks ago and it's strange that the Sun is so late with the news.
On another hand I cannot see the point of dragging the cats and dogs behinds boats . Sharks couldn't see the freaking little things ! And boats might scare them away ...Couldn't it be easy to drag behind some bit of red meat to let the sharks feel the blood?
Of course , if that story is the true ....I'm just lost for words . How some people could be so f***ed up is beyond me . I love dogs to death...

haku
24-10-2005, 14:22
Amber, is that all you have to say? You care more about what one article says about your country than all the dogs that are being killed? Are you saying you agree with what they're doing? Coz if you are that could seriously change our friendship. :bum:
:( Of course i do not agree with using live bait, i am also opposed to shark hunting for that matter, i am actually opposed to any kind of fishing and hunting in general.

But that story precisely? There has never been any clear evidence that it's actually happening, only a few cases of rogue shark hunters using road kills as bait.
The article makes it sounds like using live pets as bait is legal in France and widely spread among fishermen, it's not legal and if it has happened it has been done by unlicenced fishermen illegally hunting sharks.

Rachel
24-10-2005, 14:34
The article makes it sounds like using live pets as bait is legal in France and widely spread among fishermen, it's not legal and if it has happened it has been done by unlicenced fishermen illegally hunting sharks.The fact all you had to say in your last post was how the British viewed the French pretty much stated where your priorities lay. :none:

freddie
24-10-2005, 15:55
From what I understand the bonzai kitten story was a scam. This sounds awfully similar - designed to evoke symphathy. Notice how "pup" was used instead of a grown up dog. Poor defenceless little pup being used as fish bait. One other thing why I find this story a bit odd is the fact that sharks would much rather go for sea food, than any land mammal - a dead piece of tuna on a hook would be way more effective than an animal a shark isn't even sure what species it is, so it'd be naturally more cautious. Plus ... what super-natural dog would actually survive being pierced with a hook and dragged behind a boat - if you ask me sharks are the last thing that would kill an unfortunate canine being treated like that. Think about it.

Little Squirrel
24-10-2005, 21:32
i signed...

rosh
24-10-2005, 21:56
i somehow doubt that the rspca would throw its weight behind a scam first of all.
secondly the sun featured that article nearly 2 weeks ago, not just a day or two ago. i read it then. theyre on an anti animal cruelty drive and generally research their feature articles quite well as they want to be taken seriously as a paper, not just a tabloid. thirdly sharks arent going to care what the bait is, just that there is bait.

Rachel
24-10-2005, 22:01
i somehow doubt that the rspca would throw its weight behind a scam first of all.Exactly :bum:
secondly the sun featured that article nearly 2 weeks ago, not just a day or two ago. i read it then.I read it on the RSPCA site a while back.
theyre on an anti animal cruelty drive and generally research their feature articles quite well as they want to be taken seriously as a paper, not just a tabloid. thirdly sharks arent going to care what the bait is, just that there is bait.If they'll go for a live human they'l go for a live dog or cat too.

Ningyo
26-10-2005, 02:34
From what I understand the bonzai kitten story was a scam. This sounds awfully similar - designed to evoke symphathy.
Yes, my point exactly.

Plus ... what super-natural dog would actually survive being pierced with a hook and dragged behind a boat
Its muzzle would be swollen at least. Besides, even if I don't claim to be an expert, this particular dog doesn't seem to be in pain according to me. Nowadays images can be easily doctored.

And with this I'm not saying I agree with such treatment of animals, I just want to state what seems fairly obvious to me.

BlackMagic
26-10-2005, 13:37
thats horrible, poor animals.