PDA

View Full Version : Midsummers party

teeny
21-06-2005, 21:01
Well, while chatting with eku, we found out that both Denmark and Estonia celebrate midsummer this thursday.
And now we are wondering which other countries celebrate this day of the year and how?

Denmark has a fire with a witch (hay and clothing + fireworks) on top, and a song is being sung while it burns.. (sounds like a cult thing even.. :laugh: )

And Estonia.. *goes to get Eku in here aswell :p *

Eku1
21-06-2005, 21:10
Yeah, midsummer day here toO! :flag:

Well, we make just a fire and gather together. There were rituals from the past (jumping over the fire, for example), but nowadays, ppl. just eat and drink :coctail: :bum:

Anyway,it's nice to have the light nights here in the North, which tops with the longest day of the year - on Thu! :D

nath
21-06-2005, 21:15
Midsummer is 25 I think no ? oh may be just in Sweden, if my memory is good..
Here before we had parties too...Saint-John's Fires/ Les Feux de la Saint-Jean(24 juin)...people burnt wood to make big fires in the countrysides and were making parties...it still exists in some countrysides.

To celebrate Summer , in France , we have another big Party ..."La Fête de la Musique"...Music Party..
It's tonight, the 21th of june....it means that , right now, on the streets a lot of people are playing music.....
Today everyone can play freely music in the streets...so you have different types of musics: classical or rock or rapp or what you want....

So you have professionnal gigs organised and free gigs or free musicians everywhere...
I'm inside but they are a lot of persons outside having fun: playing, singing or listening music... :)

KillaQueen
22-06-2005, 22:55
I've had no idea about this midsummer thing until I met my girlfriend, so. No midsummers in Romania. i think the only time we celebrate something like all throughout the country is Christmas, New Year's and Easter.. yep, that would be it. we dont even celebrate 1st of December that much (National Day). it's nice to see that there's countries out there that have preserved their traditions and find reasons to celebrate. i envy you. we're all grumpy here :bum:

Veggie Delite
22-06-2005, 22:58
never heard of it :ithink:

KillaQueen
22-06-2005, 23:09
never heard of it :ithink:
*hugs her neighbour* lets have our own celebration, Veg :gigi:

teeny
22-06-2005, 23:10
it's nice to see that there's countries out there that have preserved their traditions and find reasons to celebrate.Yeah midsummers party is the best. My grandparents used to own a boat, so each year we went sailing when midsummer was up and had a barbeque at sea while watching the bonfire at coast.
This year I'm going to celebrate with my friends. :)

QueenBee
24-06-2005, 16:58
In Sweden midsummer was today (Friday). Ugh, it (the longest day of the year - shortest night) was actually on Tuesday if I'm correct, but the Swedes always put it on Friday instead (why I do not know... 'cause they love Friday maybe).

We have the midsommarstång.
Midsommarstång! (http://www.photo.se/bilder/91.jpg)
The midsummerpole or whatever.

It has something to do with Jesus as you can see... yeah.

Me and the few other working youngsters at work this summer had to go pick flowers on some stupid field and fix the pole. And then nobody wanted to dance around it like you do in Sweden. Total waste of time!

forre
24-06-2005, 17:05
why I do not know... 'cause they love Friday maybe
It's about to have possibility to go and camp or give a proper celebration.

Any excuse for a party would do. Packing here instead of partying. It'll be fun to drive to the south and see the "ruines" after partying along the road. :D

Thanks for the updates Queenie!

Trevlig midsommar!

teeny
24-06-2005, 17:33
It's about to have possibility to go and camp or give a proper celebration.hehe.. yeah sounds right ;) Like J-day (arrival of chrismas beer day) in Denmark was moved to friday instead of one preset date of the year. Too many students stayed home from school the next day otherwise.

Thank you all for the midsummer updates so far.. :rose: