PDA

View Full Version : figure skating?

zebu
16-03-2005, 13:06
anyone watching figure skating here? now is the world chapionship. who r ur favs?

forre
16-03-2005, 18:39
I do, as I've been doing since I was 6-7 years old. :p
My favs?
Men: I hope for Lambiel this year and for Weir in the Olympics.
Pairs: Russians and Chinese look impressive, esp. chinese with their super high twists. Tatiana Totmianina/Maxim Marinin are my favs.
Ladies: Slutskaya looks strong but I really never liked her a lot.
Dance: No current favs. Still looking for some one like Anissina/Peizerat but the current dancers don't seem to reach there yet. Tatiana Navka/Roman Kostomarov should win though. I'll take a closer look at them.

zebu
16-03-2005, 21:12
i love watching skating :) best to watch for me is always mens competition and when plushenko is skating..uff hes the god of skating. he fell in short program :(, he said he didnt practice enough cos of some injury or something. i hope he does better in free. one other guy i like sandhu, he skates for canada, too bad he always messes something up, but just watching him :dead: hes too hot. lambiels spins r great, well see if hell skate as good in free as in short, now that hes leading. maybe too much pressure for him.

ur fav pair won tonight ;)

forre
17-03-2005, 20:04
Plushenko withdrew from the FP. His days are over I believe. Never thought of him as God of skating. He was just always lacking on something for me. So what are the bets? Lambiel's nerves should hold and I missed the performance of my little Weir. Figure skating is great to watch.

Uhaku
14-06-2005, 12:43
I have always like Slute. But I kinda lost track with ice skating since last year... Shames Shames...

freddie
16-06-2005, 19:27
They are spectacular... but so unknown to my mind. At least as individuals. Hmmm... is Michele Kwan still competing?! *walks away in shame*

zebu
19-01-2006, 22:47
just watched european championship, women fs, very nice performances, much better than last year. loved sokolova, she finished 2nd

xmad
19-01-2006, 23:07
just watched european championship
me too.It was sooo great.
Sokolova,is so gorgeous.Her performance was fantastic.
Slutskaya's performance was great too.I love both of them.
Sokolova & Slutskaya (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/x_mad_mad/r3065905794.jpg)

Lux
20-01-2006, 01:19
i don't follow anyone but it's fun to watch :p

Rachel
20-01-2006, 01:23
My sister used to do this professionally when she was about 15...ahhhh...fun times...

spyretto
20-01-2006, 01:24
yeah same...It's on Eurosport too so I watch it alongside the tennis...and the darts...and the snooker..and the basketball..and the...skiing..and the football...and the something else which I can't remember.
Any sports are good...

oh yeah, I remembered...the world's strongest man :p

which brings the following question: what is that outfit that Sharapova's wearing? :eek:

PowerPuff Grrl
20-01-2006, 05:06
I watch figure skating, I kind of got it from my Dad. A lot of immigrants, I find, have a strange fascination with it. I don't really blame them though, it is probably the second most hypnotizing sport... next to curling, of course.

Anyhoo, I saw some competition that was in Japan. The only thing that struck out was the Women's competition, it was pretty much Russia v. Japan. And Japan kicked ass! There was this one skater who's probably like 14 years old or something, and she was doing triple axles soooo effortlessly. Everybody else was only doing doubles. And then the commentator said that because she's too young she'll have to wait for the 2010 Winter Games. It just pissed me off because even though she wiped the floor with her program, everybody else can compete in the Olympics but her.

I like the fact that there are other countries now getting involved in figure skating, like Japan and Israel. Though I'm not too sure if Japan always had figure skaters, I'm pretty sure they weren't considered as being serious competitors until now.

Michele Kwan still competing?! *walks away in shame*

Oooh wait, I know this one!
She hasn't competed in any competition but still wants to compete in the Olympics, just because. What the hell is it with Team America and their sense of entitlement when it comes to the Olympics; it's like "bitch, it doesn't work that way!"

PS: I don't know why, but I love that the title of the thread has a question mark.

KillaQueen
20-01-2006, 09:43
the world's strongest man :p
woo, that rocks!! :coctail:

zebu
22-01-2006, 00:15
plushenko :bow:

xmad
24-02-2006, 11:55
In the ladies, it was sort of a shock to see Slutskaya and Cohen fall.
Yeah,it was.
It was sad to see that Slutskaya didnt get the gold medal.

forre
25-02-2006, 17:40
It was sad to see that Slutskaya didnt get the gold medal.
It wasn't possible even if she didn't fall. Arakawa hit her personal best with her free and thus had no competition. I'm happy for the sake of this sport that Arakawa won. A great performance from a great skater!

fanoff
25-02-2006, 21:56
figure skating is one of the sports i enjoy to watch.especially Pluskenko,who is truly the knig on ice,does his work perfectly.i saw the same thing in the olympics.he did finish the contest 27 points ahead the second lambiel.and our girl tuğba karademir came 21st.i think its good for a skater in a country which doesnt take much care about skating.

forre
26-02-2006, 01:38
figure skating is one of the sports i enjoy to watch.especially Pluskenko,who is truly the knig on ice,does his work perfectly.i saw the same thing in the olympics.he did finish the contest 27 points ahead
The only guy who could give him a match is Yagudin. Too bad that he quit competing. Even his 4 years old performances could get at least silver at this Olympics. If you've never seen them, do it. You won't regret.

Yagudin, 2002 Olympic Games.
Winter - short programme
Man in the iron mask - free programme
14 mb, *.rar file. The quality is bad but the files are light.
Yagudin_Olymp2002.rar (http://rapidshare.de/files/14147304/Yagudin_Olymp2002.rar.html)

11Russia
26-02-2006, 02:26
I love Figure Skating, such a beautiful sport...
Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov did a great job!!! I'm so glad the won gold.

Slutskaya the queen without the crawl... But Japan deserve the gold... :)
but not USA the silver ¬.¬

Lambiel was my favorite I didn't like Plushenko very much...

forre
26-02-2006, 03:22
But Japan deserve the gold...
but not USA the silver ¬.¬
Why not silver for USA? After the short programme, both Slutskaya and Cohen were almost at a tie. Then some statistics on their free programme, which was won by Cohen:

Cohen vs Slutskaya (*)
Base technical programme value: 57.5 (53.8)
Deductions totally: - 8 (- 4.43)

Programme components
Skating Skills: 7.75 (7.96)
Transitions: 7.57 (7.39)
Performance/Execution: 7.86 (7.79)
Choreography: 7.79 (7.71)
Interpretation: 8.04 (7.82)

Conclusion: Cohen's base tech. value was higher than Slutskaya's. Cohen got more deduction for her mistakes than Slutskaya, which is understandable but the quality of her elements was higher, so technically she got 55.22 and Slutskaya 53.87. Cohen got a little higher score for programme components listed above and it was deserved as Cohen gave a better artistic impression.

My honest opinion is that everything was fair enough.

11Russia
26-02-2006, 04:55
T_T Well now that I see the comparation... I guess you're right... :cry:

Btw... Slutskaya is very loved here in Mexico =))) The little comunity in Mexico that does Figure Skating, says
she's such a nice person.

fanoff
26-02-2006, 11:04
The only guy who could give him a match is Yagudin. Too bad that he quit competing. Even his 4 years old performances could get at least silver at this Olympics. If you've never seen them, do it. You won't regret.

i know yagudins performances.yagudin must have quited cause he could see that he wouldnt be able to win over plushenko .now the year is 2006 and theres no sight of him.anyway,plushenko is a star and he knows it.if more people wathc figure skating,its just because theres a star(plushenko).not the chinese or japanese women.

zebu
26-02-2006, 12:40
i think plushenko is much more artistic and has a better feeling for music than yagudin had. he really dances on the ice.

oh, i cant believe cohen got higher marks for presentation than slutskaya. and cohen, is she on some kind of steroids or smthing that prevent her from growing, she looks like those girls that do gimnastics. in fact most female american skaters look like that, kwan, that hughes kid in salt lake city, i cant beleve thats just a coincidence. its just sad that they do that. which brings me to salt lake city, if that wasnt a rip off, nothing isnt.

forre
26-02-2006, 15:28
Yagudin quitted because of his hip problems and he's known as an artist on ice. There's no judge in the world that gave Plushenko higher artistic marks than to Yagudin ever. I think it was Curt Browning who said that Plushenko is like a great carpenter on ice building his house from the base, hammering there all the parts while Weir or Lambiel, for instance, are like artists painting their works. There's something in this statement.

Plushenko is a star and there was no real competition for him in Torino. He's done his job and did it well. American skating school is good enough to give the world a few Olympic champions on the girl's side and they were great. Remember Lipinsky's free 1998? Triple-triple combination, triple-double and some 5 landed triples. Hi-hi. She'd win in Torino with that set if she competed. I don't think it's fair to say that Russian women singles side is better or stronger or more artistic. It really isn't.

xmad
26-02-2006, 17:10
forre,you said 1998 and it reminds me of Maria Butyrskaya.She did great in 1998 and 1999.I remember it when she won the 1999 World Championships.
And also she's so gorgeous. :love:

fanoff
26-02-2006, 17:16
plushenko is an absolute performer and he can make people get the feeling of his dance.there must be no argument on that.and johnny weir is one of the skaters i find nothing in except meaningless spinning.all he does is to jump and get his points.i dont think he is neither a real performer or an artist on ice.it means i think the opposite of what you think.

forre
26-02-2006, 18:47
I never said he wasn't an artist on ice. I just said what I said. Plushenko is leaving to become a pro. He's a history for my part. I still hope that he'll come for the worlds though. It will be pity if he decided not to.

fanoff
26-02-2006, 19:21
you didnt say that but you meant something like that.theres something you know and we dont know about his professional life?i think he shouldnt quit now he must go on at least till the next olympics then when he gets the second olympic gold he can quit comfortably

forre
26-02-2006, 20:01
you didnt say that but you meant something like that.theres something you know and we dont know about his professional life?
No, professionally he is a top gun. No doubt about that. I love figure skating too much to say any other things. I just say that his artistism doesn't touch me. There are not so many skaters that ever did it either. Gordeeva/Grinkov, Rodnina/Zaitsev, Torwill/Dean, Yagudin, Witt, Bestemianova/Bukin, Platov/Grishuk, Anissina/Piezerat did. Weir does it now but he's missing a bit technically.

As for Plusheko, he said the following:
"I can compete maybe for seven years on the professional level, maybe even more. As for the amature level - I don't know. It's hard to skate as an amature all the time. You need to stay in a great shape all the time for that. Too all that, amature level doesn't give any good financial support. It's enough. I've already got enough medals for the country. There's no other Russian skater, who has such a set of medals as I do. I'm planning to skate for my own profit now."

zebu
26-02-2006, 22:59
seeing plushenko as a carpenter on ice is impossible for me. when i watch him i get special feeling, tears can come into my eyes :o, for me hes pure art. i never get that feeling when watching other skaters, femal, male pairs whatever. i hope he continues competing until the european championship in zagreb, seeing him live must be a super experience.

but yeah de gustibus non est disputandum.

forre
26-02-2006, 23:59
and johnny weir is one of the skaters i find nothing in except meaningless spinning.
He's one of the kind. Weir doesn't skate, he flies over the ice. A natural talent considering that the guy began to skate at the age of 12 and won Nationals at 19. In 4 years no one would be able to beat him. He just needs some more time.

fanoff
27-02-2006, 15:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanoff
and johnny weir is one of the skaters i find nothing in except meaningless spinning.

He's one of the kind. Weir doesn't skate, he flies over the ice. A natural talent considering that the guy began to skate at the age of 12 and won Nationals at 19. In 4 years no one would be able to beat him. He just needs some more time

if i called an american skater as the future on ice,it would be evan lysacek.he showed that by being 3rd in his first world championship and being 4th in the olympics,ahead weir.and he is more like a human than the weird Weir(lool!).i still believe that plushenko wont give up and dominate at least four years ahead(till the next olympics)

forre
28-02-2006, 00:28
Lysacek is good too. It looks like Plush leaves immediately. Not even sure he'll show up at the Words.

fanoff
23-03-2006, 21:19
The world championships are taking place in canada Calgary now.and you know what,our king plushenko isnt taking part!!!!i hope he has a problem with his legs or some injuries(its always been the opposite for him,but now the statement is different,it may mean that we wont get to see him again on ice and i dont f***ing want that!)

11Russia
23-03-2006, 21:30
No one from the Russian Skating Comunity will take part on the Championship...
Neither Tatiana or Roman... :( too bad cause they are really good!!!
But they said they want to rest.

forre
23-03-2006, 21:35
Why no one? There are plenty of Russians, who already took part. Dance pairs are left. The best Russian result in this Worlds so far is Petrova/Tikhonov (pairs) - bronze medal.

11Russia
23-03-2006, 21:36
Why no one? There are plenty of Russians, who already took part. Dance pairs are left. The best Russian result in this Worlds so far is Petrova/Tikhonov (pairs) - bronze medal.
I'm not sure if NO one... but at least the best one are not gonna participate...
Like Tatiana and Roman and Plyushenko... :(

forre
23-03-2006, 21:40
Why gonna participate? The championship is almost over.

I knew that the best Russians from Torino wouldn't go to Calgary. I'm more curious now how it will go in the Dance where Bulgarians are in the lead.

marina
26-03-2006, 12:00
Evgeni Plushenko top Russian (and world) figure skater has some sexy moves for you. He literaly strips on ice, and audience goes crazy (http://www.mojoflix.com/Video/Evgeni-Plushenko-Sex-Bomb.html).

forre
26-03-2006, 12:11
Yes, it's his famous show. He ran it all through the last year I think. A good one! Thanks for the link, marina.

Btw: Bulgarian Dance pair won in Calgary! Yeah! After so many years, they really deserved it. I absolutely love them! Happy here. :)