PDA

View Full Version : NHL lockout - Anyone care?

ypsidan04
10-02-2005, 03:02
Well they don't call where I live "Hockeytown" for nothing. Not a single state in this poll had a majority of people who cared if the season was cancelled. But guess what state had the largest percentage that did care? Yep, Michigan, at 42%. :cool: It helps that the local team has won 3 of the last 7 championships in '97, '98, and 2002. :D It's quite interesting when its broken down into state by state. It's not surprising that all of the states with 30% or more are in the North, with the exception of Florida (which may be somewhat inflated because Tampa Bay just won the last Stanley Cup). The fact that Alabama and Mississippi are less than 20% doesn't surprise me one bit. :rolleyes: Personally, while I do miss it sometimes, I'm not like grieving, which I'm sure some Canadians have been known to do during these bleak times. :p A highly regarded current player, one of the better players of all time, Brett Hull, who used to play with Detroit, was on Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live awhile back, and the topic got around to gay marriage in Canada, and he was like "Well that (homosexuality) is what happens in Canada when there's no Hockey. What else are you going to do?" ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?page=nhlseasonpoll050203

PowerPuff Grrl
12-02-2005, 16:03
Oh hell yes, I care!!!

Damn it! Just when the Sens got a brand new gaolie too, Dominic Hasek <--- The Wall. You just know we would've beaten that school of assholes that stupid Torontonians call the "Leafs."

<sigh>

To tell the truth though, a lot of Canadians don't really mind the lockout, so long as it is just for this one season. The CBC, which usually broadcasts Hockey Night in Canada is coming out with excellent programming to fill up the gap in their schedule.

So yeah, Canadians aren't crying either.

kishkash
13-02-2005, 00:08
I was watching Rick Mercers Monday Report, and i got the distinct impression he blames america for the fall of hockey...everything went tits up after they let some american dood run the show and he started hockey in the states ;)

freddie
13-02-2005, 00:38
I was watching Rick Mercers Monday Report, and i got the distinct impression he blames america for the fall of hockey...everything went tits up after they let some american dood run the show and he started hockey in the states ;)

I thought americans invented it. :D

DAZ
13-02-2005, 12:53
The British Super League went tits up a few years ago as well.
The only Scottish Team(Ayr Scottish Eagles) were based in my town and it brought a lot of interest.We even won the British Championship.They were then moved in an American Franchise style to Glasgow and nobody cared.
Now we have no team.
There is no British League(not proffesional anyway)
If you let businesses run Leagues they don't last long.

kishkash
13-02-2005, 16:16
I thought americans invented it. i told u that u were a true american ;) LOL!

p.s. ass

Taty_rox
13-02-2005, 17:08
I care to a certain extent lol. We had so much fun when the Calgary Flames got into the finals. :D Even though they lost the cup last season people still celebrated. I LOVED the Calgary pride. I really miss hockey actually. I miss watching Hockey Night in Canada. Right now, not a lot of Canadians are upset about it. I'm not. Well the NHL channels on Starchoice are having difficult times, rerunning old games and stuff. :blabla:

Hockey was spread throughout Canada by British Soldiers in the mid 1800's. One of the first places to have played this game was Nova Scotia, Canada by micmac indians. There are also sayings that it was founded by the micmac indians, but started in New Brunswick, or started in Quebec. Also said to be a game that was made in England. But I'm not sure. You hear a lot of things on how Hockey was created... so no one can really tell for sure. I also heard it was created by a British soldier that was IN Canada... lol. Dunno. :D " :p I never heard "Canadians invented Hockey" But I did hear "Canada is the first NATION to hockey" :p meh...

Besides that I don't really care, when I think about it lol. I used to play hockey in New Brunswick. Now I live in Calgary and there is no ice ponds to play it on. :mad: which sucks. well there are a few, but it's dangerous seeing is Calgary gets Chinooks or whatever. Odd flipping weather.

Thought this was interesting.... :rolleyes:
Hockey was invented in Canada on July 4, 1952 by our super intelligent beavers (YES, we DO have them. shhhh!). Some people saw them gliding across a frozen pond, pushing a rock with sticks. They had also made little goals across from each other. Every time a beaver shot the rock into the little formation of twigs he threw his arms up in the air and squealed. The people watching this were so impressed that they decided to copy the beavers.

ypsidan04
15-02-2005, 00:57
Oh hell yes, I care!!!

Damn it! Just when the Sens got a brand new gaolie too, Dominic Hasek <--- The Wall.

No kidding? Wow, I thought he was finished playing. But I know how good he is. He's the biggest reason the Red Wings won the 2002 Stanley Cup, the only reason Buffalo got to the 1999 Finals, he's won like 6 Vezina trophies for goalie of the year, he's the only goalie to ever win the League MVP, and he has a gold medal from the 1998 olympics.

You just know we would've beaten that school of assholes that stupid Torontonians call the "Leafs."

<sigh>

Well, well, well. Sorry to say, but the Leafs are my number two team. I really hope they break their second longest in the league championship drought pretty soon. But Chicago with the longest drought? Forget them, they can take their sweet time. And from the looks of it, they will be doing just that. They're arguably the worst team going right now. They did reach the 1992 finals, but haven't won since 1960 I think.

Ah, he's probably just pissed that Canada hasn't won the Stanley Cup since 1993.
rerunning old games and stuff. :blabla:

They've been doing that here too, replaying old games. Plus, I can watch Michigan's college hockey team once in awhile, so I'm not totally without real live hockey.

ypsidan04
19-02-2005, 07:20
Well the season was "officially" cancelled, but then this comes up... :spy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpdnRxM2dhBF9TAzk1ODYxODgzBHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-nhllockout&prov=ap&type=lgns

I don't know what to think. But I do hope that this means in 24 hours from now that we can get ready to see some action, although I seriously doubt it.

foot massage
21-02-2005, 00:02
Hasek playing for the Senators...... Having seen him at nagano '98 i'd say that was a damn good deal for ottawa. And yes i care. i've got no reason to stay up to 3am on weekdays anymore. And what with battlebots and robot wars gone, my bloodlust is going unfilfilled, which isn't a pleasant situation for all involved

ypsidan04
21-02-2005, 04:15
Yeah, season is dead, again (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpdDcyMnNwBF9TAzk1ODYxODgzBHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-nhllockout&prov=ap&type=lgns)

You might not get to see Hasek play again. And I might not get to see Steve Yzerman or Chris Chelios play again. Too bad...