PDA

View Full Version : The 'Emo' Thread

Mossopp
05-02-2005, 00:36
You knew it was coming ........... the EMO thread! :D
Okay. I don't want another heated "your music is shite" debate. But I have noticed that "emo" is becoming a bit of a buzzword on this board and I just wanted to check out people's opinions on it. Do any of you actually know what it is?
I happen to like emo. I know it may seem like I'm taking the piss out of the genre at times but that's not entirely the case. However, a little self-deprication never hurt anyone, did it? :p

Be seen to be scene - how to dress 'emo' (http://www.geocities.com/howtodressemo/)
How 'emo' are you? (http://www.geocities.com/ctskaboy/emotest.html)
The 'emo band name generator' (http://members.aol.com/Valdes379/EmoGame.html)

From what I can gather, 'emo' is a bit of a fad in America right now. It's all over the radio and emo band merch is selling out in Hot Topic stores nationwide. :rolleyes:
In Britain emo is still pretty underground. I was very surprised that Taking Back Sunday managed to sell out their entire UK tour. I think My Chemical Romance's addition to the tour was a factor in this - I can't imagine TBS selling out 2,500 capacity venues on their own.

So, do you like emo?
What emo bands do you rate?
How do you differentiate between emo and screamo?
Is metalcore (Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold etc) a natural progression of emo?
Should emo kids just grow the fuck up and stop whining?

Thoughts, people.

QueenBee
05-02-2005, 00:57
Yey emo thread!

One more link, even though they practically copied the one you posted: http://www.sykospark.net/emo/ :laugh:

I'll talk more here when I'm not as tired as I am (AKA if I wrote alot of stuff they wouldn't make sense)

kishkash
05-02-2005, 02:03
ok so emo ISN'T elmo right....right?!?!?! :spy:

lol just keeding :gigi:

DAZ
05-02-2005, 20:41
http://www.kidsera.com/links/0123.htm

:D Sorry i couldn't resist.

coolasfcuk
08-02-2005, 16:00
Well, I didnt even know what Emo is until recently :rolleyes: haha ... but I do know lots of Emos (now that I know what it means). I hang out with them from time to time, esp. since one of my closest firsts here boyfriend is one of the Emoest Emo in town :gigi: Him, and his band recently released their debut album :D, and here is where you can read about them/listen to some songs: http://www.myspace.com/the89cubs (the bf is the one on the couch) ..their official site: http://www.the89cubs.com/ nice advertising for them, ah? but really, they are good!
Because of the bf and his connection with Saddle Creek Records (the studio that launches all indie stuff from Omaha, such as Cursive, Bright Eyes, The Faint, etc) I did get a chance to spent a very veeeeeeeeeeeeery Emo New Year of 2004 :coctail: it was quite interesting ... and I definatelly do enjoy going to the indie shows that pass through town, even though i definatelly dont blend in the majority of the crowd's 'fashions' lol..... So, all in all, i do enjoy that type of music, their company, as they are usually super nice and funny people, and i must admit, the boys' style of dressing is niceeeeeeee and i like their hairs ... the girls, blaaaaaaaaah lol .. let me stare at skinny Emo boys any day, but not the girls :D

coolasfcuk
08-02-2005, 20:47
p.s. actually, I am not 100% sure exactly what 'Emo' is anymore (labeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels!) ... so i will just say, I like 'indie' music and 'indie' kids :D .... now mossopp can clarify if the 49 cubs are 'emos' or not...

Mossopp
09-02-2005, 00:05
p.s. actually, I am not 100% sure exactly what 'Emo' is anymore (labeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels!) ... so i will just say, I like 'indie' music and 'indie' kids :D .... now mossopp can clarify if the 49 cubs are 'emos' or not...

I am very eager to hear 49 Cubs. Unfortunately I will have to wait till tomorrow - I'm on 56k dial-up at home and it fucking takes forever to download stuff. I'll listen to them at work tomorrow (I have broadband access from my office). I'll let you know then whether they are emo or not. :D
'Emo', as a genre, is actually quite difficult to define. So many bands get lumped into that category when, personally, I don't believe they belong there. It's important to distinguish between 'emo' and 'screamo' - and it can be a difficult distinction to make. It's also worth bearing in mind that quite a few emo bands are actually pretty shit. :rolleyes:
In my humble opinion Taking Back Sunday are the best emo band on he scene right now. Some TBS songs I fully recommend you download are 'Cute Without The E (Cut From The Team)', 'You're So Last Summer', 'One-Eighty By Summer' and 'A Decade Under The Influence'. If you only buy one emo album in your life it should definately be 'Tell All Your Friends' by TBS.
Brand New are another emo band to take note of. Their first album, 'Your Favourite Weapon' is pure emo and definately worth your attention. Their latest album, 'Deja Entendu', isn't as good but it certainly has it's moments ('Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades' and 'The Quiet Things That Noone Ever Knows' being two of them).
Jimmy Eat World's 'Bleed American' (the title later changed to simply 'Jimmy Eat World' in the wake of 9/11) is another great emo album.
If emo-style lyrics appeal to you but you find the music itself a bit too tame then metalcore is the genre for you. Atreyu are a fucking amazing metalcore band from Orange County. Their lyrics are emo-esque but their sound is heavy, brutal and yet still melodic at the same time. Download 'Right Side Of The Bed' - a tale of heartbreak and deception set to a thundering metal backdrop!

Rock on, emo kids! :coctail:

teeny
09-02-2005, 18:49
I have no idea exactly what an Emo is. But I took the test to see if I scored high or low:
Here is the result of your EMO Test (How Emo Are You?) Purity Test.
You answered "yes" to 3 of 50 questions, with a total value of 3 points out of 53, making you 94.3% HAPPINESS pure (5.7% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 94.3% pure in the EMO domain (you have 5.7% EMO in you).
According to the scoring guide, your EMO experience level is: INDIFFERENT

One can start guessing which 3 questions I answered yes to.. but only if one is really bored.

coolasfcuk
09-02-2005, 19:07
You answered "yes" to 17 of 50 questions, with a total value of 17 points out of 53, making you 67.9% HAPPINESS pure (32.1% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 67.9% pure in the EMO domain (you have 32.1% EMO in you).
According to the scoring guide, your EMO experience level is: GLUM
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 41%, based on a comparison of your test results with 41778 other submissions for this test.

The average purity for this test is 48.7%.
The first submission for this test was received February 28, 2000

:D I still have a little problem with this 'emo' thing ... if I go by those 'rules' provided in the links above, then the 49 Cubs are DEFINATELLY 'emo' based on thier lifestule and the way they dress .... I guess I just prefer to refer to those people (the 49 cubs and all thier buddies at Saddle Creek Records and their fans at the shows) as 'indie kids' :gigi: and though I am not really dressing up like them myself, I do like the music (or at least for the major part) :coctail:

Jimmy Eat World ... see, that was a MAINSTREAM popular band that MTV and the RADIOS just loooooooooooved playing ... while the bands and type of music I am talking about is not mainstream like that. p.s. forgot to add, didint really like that Jimmy Eats World.

teeny
09-02-2005, 19:17
One question.. the Elliott mentioned in the test isn't the same as Elliott Smith is it? :lalala: Cos if so I had more yes answers.. but I guess it's not

Mossopp
09-02-2005, 20:36
My results:

You answered "yes" to 16 of 50 questions, with a total value of 18 points out of 53, making you 66.0% HAPPINESS pure (34.0% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 66.0% pure in the EMO domain (you have 34.0% EMO in you).
According to the scoring guide, your EMO experience level is: MELANCHOLY
Your Weirdness Factor (AKA Uniqueness Factor) is 44%

cools, Jimmy Eat World may be considered "mainstream" in America but that's only cos MTV got their grubby hands on them and force-fed them to stupid kids who need to be told what bands to like! J.E.W., while relatively successful in the UK, could never be called "mainstream" here. That will probably change this Summer however - they are lined up to support Green Day at the Milton Keynes Bowl. Taking Back Sunday are also on the bill.
*sigh* It won't be long before I see snotty pubescent Green Day fans in TBS t-shirts..... :rolleyes:
Why the hell can't the kids just listen to manufactured pop music like they're supposed to and leave the decent music to people like me? They're ruining it for everyone! :mad:

Khartoun2004
10-02-2005, 00:13
You answered "yes" to 27 of 50 questions, with a total value of 27 points out of 53, making you 49.1% HAPPINESS pure (50.9% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 49.1% pure in the EMO domain (you have 50.9% EMO in you).
According to the scoring guide, your EMO experience level is: MELANCHOLY

haha I'm 50/50... although I find it strange that I got a higher score than Mossopp and I'm not "EMO"... :rolleyes:

ypsidan04
10-02-2005, 02:54
You knew it was coming ........... the EMO thread! :D

I saw just the title of this thread and was immediately like "Has to be Mossopp!" :lol:

Jimmy Eat World may be considered "mainstream" in America but that's only cos MTV got their grubby hands on them and force-fed them to stupid kids who need to be told what bands to like!

They are, trust me.

Yeah, sure, Emo isn't bad at all. Not my favorite, but I do like some of it. I have CDs from Billy Talent and Story Of The Year. And I also don't have a problem with Sugarcult, Epic Hero, The Used, Jimmy Eat World, Lostprophets, Taking Back Sunday, Yellowcard, A.F.I, Name Taken, and even some Straylight Run and Dashboard Confessional is alright. Dashboard Confessional is widely believed to be the inventors of the genre, from what I hear. (Mossopp?)

http://launch.yahoo.com/read/review/14255881

Mossopp
10-02-2005, 09:57
Nah, Texas Is The Reason are more widely considered to be the inventors of the genre. They easily pre-date Dashboard by about 7 years!

I love Sugarcult too, but I definately wouldn't class them as emo.

I was considering going to see Straylight Run cos they're playing Glasgow soon. I've only heard one track of theirs - 'Existentialism On Prom Night - but I know that 2 of the guys in the band are ex-members of TBS. That's what makes me curious about them.

DAZ
10-02-2005, 12:34
You answered "yes" to 14 of 50 questions, with a total value of 14 points out of 53, making you 73.6% HAPPINESS pure (26.4% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 73.6% pure in the EMO domain (you have 26.4% EMO in you).

Well i haven't heard any Emo bands anyway.Except one Jimmy Eat World song.
I might check them out if i ever get my sound card replaced.

rosh
10-02-2005, 20:47
You answered "yes" to 11 of 50 questions, with a total value of 11 points out of 53, making you 79.2% HAPPINESS pure (20.8% HAPPINESS corrupt); that is, you are 79.2% pure in the EMO domain (you have 20.8% EMO in you).

ypsidan04
16-02-2005, 04:39
Nah, Texas Is The Reason are more widely considered to be the inventors of the genre. They easily pre-date Dashboard by about 7 years!

Did you hear? They recently changed their name, and now have the longest band name in existence: Texas is the reason this country is screwed up so bad

Couldn't resist. Anyway, I've never heard of them before.

Khartoun2004
06-03-2005, 05:44
Take the quiz: How Emo are you?.... (http://www.zenhex.com/quiz.php?id=930) ">"How emo are you?"

This isn't the same emo test I swear......

Holy Shit Your Emo! Holy shit you actually are emo! Congratulations on not being a poser.

WTF? I'm so not emo.... yet ever test says I am and random people walk up to me on the street and call me emo.... Like Wednesday this kid I haven't seen in like two months was at club hell and "offically declared me 'emo'"....... I don't get it....

teeny
06-03-2005, 11:27
"Holy Shit Your Emo
Holy shit you actually are emo! Congratulations on not being a poser."

Perhaps it's the only result given.. :spy: It's odd that I'm an emo when I still don't know exactly what that means.

Khartoun2004
06-03-2005, 13:13
"Holy Shit Your Emo
Holy shit you actually are emo! Congratulations on not being a poser."

Perhaps it's the only result given.. :spy: It's odd that I'm an emo when I still don't know exactly what that means.

No my cousin took it and got something like.... "I don't think you really care about this test..."

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 22:21
I find it amusing how I was once berated for being 'scene' and 'emo'...

I fuck off for a year and when I come back what do I see?
You have all become just like me. Spazzing out on myspace and listening to My Chem and Fall Out Boy.

It's rather ironic. Don't you think?

Khartoun2004
01-10-2005, 22:24

You have all become just like me. Spazzing out on myspace and listening to My Chem and Fall Out Boy.

Holy Shit! It's good to see you again. What have you been up to? Gone to any good shows lately?

Kappa
01-10-2005, 22:28

I'm not emo. :eek:

18 months playing Final Fantasy XI Online every day for 8 hours a time will teach you not to be emo. Why? Because if you are, the other 20,000 people playing in the same server point at you and laugh their asses off. :rolleyes:

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 22:28
I've been to shitloads of shows this year!
You wanna see my list? It will blow your fucking mind!

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 22:29
I'm not emo. :eek:

18 months playing Final Fantasy XI Online every day for 8 hours a time will teach you not to be emo. Why? Because if you are, the other 20,000 people playing in the same server point at you and laugh their asses off. :rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to you.
You weren't even here when I left.

Khartoun2004
01-10-2005, 22:32
I've been to shitloads of shows this year!
You wanna see my list? It will blow your fucking mind!

Yeah I wanna see. Oh by the way I'm going to see MCR for the third time on the 18th and fall out boy in november :p

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 22:36
Yeah I wanna see. Oh by the way I'm going to see MCR for the third time on the 18th and fall out boy in november :p

So? I'm gonna see MCR for the third time in November. Ain't no big deal.

Here's all the shows I've been to so far this year:

* Taking Back Sunday/My Chemical Romance - Academy - 24 Jan
* Simple Plan - QMU - 25 Feb
* The*Ga*Ga*s - Barfly - 26 Mar
* 36 Crazyfists/From First To Last - Garage - 5 Apr
* My Chemical Romance - Barrowland - 7 Apr
* Atreyu - Garage - 14 Apr
* Avenged Sevenfold - Arches - 25 May
* Fightstar/Armor For Sleep - QMU - 31 May
* Papa Roach - Garage - 21 Jun
* Bleeding Through - King Tut’s - 28 Jun
* Trivium - Garage - 16 Sep
* Motion City Soundtrack - Garage - 25 Sep

Here's all the ones I've got tickets for:

* CKY - ABC - 2 Oct
* Aiden/The Hurt Process - Barfly - 11 Oct
* Hawthorne Heights/Silverstein/Spitalfield/Bayside - Garage - 17 Oct
* Bullet For My Valentine - Garage - 22 Oct
* Bowling For Soup - King Tut's - 23 Oct
* Bowling For Soup - King Tut's - 24 Oct
* Alexisonfire - King Tut's - 26 Oct
* Lacuna Coil - King Tut’s - 28 Oct
* My Chemical Romance - Carling Academy - 6 Nov
* Taste Of Chaos - SECC - 9 Nov
* Bloodhound Gang - Garage - 12 Nov
* Armor For Sleep - Cathouse - 12 Dec

And here's what I have planned for 2006:

* HIM - Carling Academy - 19 Jan
* HIM - Carling Apollo, Manchester - 21 Jan

Khartoun2004
01-10-2005, 22:39
Impressive Mossopp. You should have fun at Taste of Chaos...

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 22:41
Impressive Mossopp. You should have fun at Taste of Chaos...

I know.

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 22:44
Hmmm, so how many more people here have myspace?
Fuck! The hypocrisy of some people is unbearable! [personal attacks deleted] :rolleyes: :blabla:
One warning for personal attacks and insults, keep it clean Mossopp and do not attack members, thanks

Rachel
01-10-2005, 22:52
Lorna, it's nice to see you back but chill a bit. This is just gonna end in an argument and you'll be in the same situation as before - I don't wanna see you upset and leave again :(

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 22:54
I just came here cos I was bored. [deleted].

When did you come back anyway Rach? You vanished for ages.
Is Philbert still here?
See my comment in your post above

Rachel
01-10-2005, 22:58
I just came here cos I was bored. [deleted].So it was nothing to do with me asking you to come back? :dknow:
When did you come back anyway Rach? You vanished for ages.Errrmm...must have been a few months ago, but I was back for a few months before then.
Is Philbert still here?Not that I'm aware.

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:10
Shove your "comments", haku!

I'M SICK OF THIS BULLSHIT!!!

"NO PERSONAL ATTACKS"???
I WAS "PERSONALLY ATTACKED" NUMEROUS TIMES AND NOONE FUCKING STOOD UP FOR ME!
IT'S LOVELY TO SEE THAT I'M NOW THE ONE BEING TOLD TO PLAY NICE.

Fuck this place.
Now I remember why I left in the first instance.

Rachel
01-10-2005, 23:13
Yes, that's it Lorna, have a tantrum. :rolleyes:

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:17
I don't need your permission to speak my mind.
If you like hanging out on a dying board with a bunch of mods with God-complexes, that's entirely your business.

Don't snipe at me Rach. I thought you and I were cool.

Rachel
01-10-2005, 23:20
Don't snipe at me Rach. I thought you and I were cool.We are until you start having a go at haku - he's only doing his job. :bum:

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:21
Why didn't he "do his job" when Spy and Cools were attacking me on a daily basis?

Rachel
01-10-2005, 23:24
Why didn't he "do his job" when Spy and Cools were attacking me on a daily basis?There was no attacking - you just both expressed your opinions and unfortunately the fact they had different opinions upset you. People have different opinions on music, so what? It shouldn't upset you.

What you're doing is totally different - you brought two people into it who aren't even online right now!

QueenBee
01-10-2005, 23:26
Lorna! It's great to see you back. I believe I mentioned you in several posts I made. :)

But I do agree with the Rach, you need to chill. Can't just come back here for a year and whine about how this forum is stupid. Those comments you are talking about were made over a year ago, we're all over it by now.

coolasfcuk
01-10-2005, 23:27
Why didn't he "do his job" when Spy and Cools were attacking me on a daily basis?
do i smell tamper tantrums ? .... i think you might be confusing the term 'attack', mossopp .... anyways, I am hardly ever visiting this place (and i think same might be true for spy), so you can come throw hissy-fits all you wan now :heh:

p.s. good to see the 'horn-dog' Rach :gigi: describe to you so well what happened then ... different opinions does not equal attack ;)

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:29
If you would care to read over Spyreto's posts (the ones he didn't delete after the fact) you will see that he made many personal and scathing attacks on me.
The same can be said for Cools. Go read the MCR thread - it's all there.
I didn't see anyone repremanding them for insulting me. In fact, everyone just stood back and had a right good laugh about it.
I was a loyal member on this board for years. I posted pics, transcripts, TV appearances... you name it.
And yet I get treated like shit so some people can have a nice wee giggle.

Can't you see why I'm a little bit hostile right now?

I wouldn't mind coming back here and posting from time to time cos I have no issue with the majority of members here.
But some people make the whole process really difficult and unpleasant.

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:30
do i smell tamper tantrums ? .... i think you might be confusing the term 'attack', mossopp .... anyways, I am hardly ever visiting this place (and i think same might be true for spy), so you can come throw hissy-fits all you wan now :heh:

p.s. good to see the 'horn-dog' Rach :gigi: describe to you so well what happened then ... different opinions does not equal attack ;)

You are smug and sarcastic. Don't talk to me. Nothing you say holds any relevance to me.
Talk to me like a human being and then I'll listen.

And I see you still favour the over-use of smilies.

Lovely.

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:31
Lorna! It's great to see you back. I believe I mentioned you in several posts I made. :)

But I do agree with the Rach, you need to chill. Can't just come back here for a year and whine about how this forum is stupid. Those comments you are talking about were made over a year ago, we're all over it by now.

Clearly Cools isn't "over it". Look - she's creaming herself cos I'm back! :D

Rachel
01-10-2005, 23:33
Talk to me like a human being and then I'll listen.Lorna, if you act like a child she will treat you like a child. You just sound like an angsty drunk and you're not doing yourself any favours. :bum:

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:35
Lorna, if you act like a child she will treat you like a child. You just sound like an angsty drunk and you're not doing yourself any favours. :bum:

For your information, I no longer drink.
I'm straightedge. I haven't had a drink in months.

Rachel
01-10-2005, 23:36
For your information, I no longer drink.
I'm straightedge. I haven't had a drink in months.Ok, well done then.

But now that makes me wonder what is driving these posts - usually posts like these would come when you'd had 1 or 2 many :bum:

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:39
Ok, well done then.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

But now that makes me wonder what is driving these posts - usually posts like these would come when you'd had 1 or 2 many :bum:

Like I said, I came back cos I was bored and, spurred on by our brief converstaion last night, I though I would come back here and see what was happening.
I didn't intend to get into any fights. I only got pissed off when haku started messing with me.

I am totally reformed. I don't drink. I no longer live with my parents. I have totally turned my life around.
I don't wanna fight with anyone.
Then don't throw insults at other members and you'll be fine

Rachel
01-10-2005, 23:42
I didn't intend to get into any fights. I only got pissed off when haku started messing with me. You were aggressive from the moment you came back. Example:

So? I'm gonna see MCR for the third time in November. Ain't no big deal.

Here's all the shows I've been to so far this year: It's a "so fucking what, I'm better than you" kinda post.

I don't wanna fight with anyone.Really? :bum:

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:43
I have no problem with Khartoun. I have no reason to be hostile towards her.
I guess you just misinterpreted what I wrote.
What else can I say?

coolasfcuk
01-10-2005, 23:44
Clearly Cools isn't "over it". Look - she's creaming herself cos I'm back!
please, dont drag me down your road ... I am completely indifferent whether you are here or not ... I only replied because I saw my name being dropped.

One last note: maybe you should use more 'smilies' (in any meaning of that term), instead of keeping so many skeletons in your closet ;) :coctail: :bye:

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:44
Then don't throw insults at other members and you'll be fine

Okay!
Point taken.

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:45
please, dont drag me down your road ... I am completely indifferent whether you are here or not ... I only replied because I saw my name being dropped.

One last note: maybe you should use more 'smilies' (in any meaning of that term), instead of keeping so many skeletons in your closet ;) :coctail: :bye:

What do you mean by "skeletons in my closet"? :confused:

coolasfcuk
01-10-2005, 23:47
What do you mean by "skeletons in my closet"?
exactly that, hanging onto past negativism, rather than enjoying the present ... stsick around and have a good time.... great to hear you've done so many changes in your life :D (and i mean that). Congrats :coctail:

Rachel
01-10-2005, 23:47
I guess you just misinterpreted what I wrote.I'm not the only one. So maybe it's a case of you needing to express yourself a little calmer :bum:

Anyway, I don't wanna fight with you at all, so can we end this? :bum:

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:48
.... great to hear you've done so many changes in your life :D (and i mean that). Congrats :coctail:

Assuming you do genuinely mean that...
Thank you.

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:48
I'm not the only one. So maybe it's a case of you needing to express yourself a little calmer :bum:

Anyway, I don't wanna fight with you at all, so can we end this? :bum:

Sure thing.

coolasfcuk
01-10-2005, 23:52
Assuming you do genuinely mean that....
i said I do and i mean it :D

I made changes too and changes are exciting :coctail: ..ok, enough of me here

Mossopp
01-10-2005, 23:55
No, I wanna know what changes you made.
I think we should have a contest - which one of us has changed most in the past 10 months! ;)

nikki
02-10-2005, 01:50
Hi Mossopp :) Great to see you back and find out you're not drinking ! Trivium - what were they like ?

Mossopp
02-10-2005, 01:52
Trivium - what were they like ?

In one word - AMAZING!

Mossopp
03-10-2005, 00:32
I own all of you. :p

Rachel
03-10-2005, 00:50
And what makes you say that? :bum:

Kappa
03-10-2005, 03:46
I wasn't referring to you.
You weren't even here when I left.

Oooookay, captain emo. First off, I know you weren't referring to me. Hardly ever the case where I am an example, and besides I'm quite sure you don't remember or give a shit about remembering who I am. Second, sorry for trying to be friendly and pleasantly surprised that you're back, it was obviously not the way to go.

kishkash
03-10-2005, 05:41
I own all of you.
:no: u don't own MEEeeeee :p :kwink:

rosh
03-10-2005, 09:57
:no: u don't own MEEeeeee :p :kwink:

young and free
young and free
young and freeee
you dont ownnn meeeeeeeeee

ah i loved first wives club :D

Mossopp
03-10-2005, 19:05
Wah-wah boo-hoo *emo tears*
Darje personally attacked me. Why oh why doesn't haku tell her off like the naughty person she is?!

:rolleyes:

Pfft, I see nothing has changed. Everyone still loves to twist my words and make me the bad guy.

To those of you who did welcome me back - thank you.
To those of you who didn't - you are the reason I left in the first place.

Mossopp
03-10-2005, 22:16
myspace...I know I'm an emo kid (http://www.myspace.com/closetemogirl)

You don't have any comments at all. What's up with that?

And you probably shouldn't say how 'emo' you are when absolutely none of the bands on your profile are even remotely emo. Scene kids have hung, drawn and quartered people for less than that.
Assuming you give a shit about scenesters... :dknow:

Khartoun2004
03-10-2005, 22:25
You don't have any comments at all. What's up with that?

And you probably shouldn't say how 'emo' you are when absolutely none of the bands on your profile are even remotely emo. Scene kids have hung, drawn and quartered people for less than that.
Assuming you give a shit about scenesters... :dknow:

Hmmm.... nice to know you're still as cocky as ever. If you would like I could PM you the list of emo bands I listen to. There's far to many of them to post on myspace. Also I never use myspace I'm hardly ever there. I think I've spent more time on it in the past week than I have in the entire, I don't know.... 4 months I've had it.

And I don't give a shit about scenesters... so go pick on someone who's actually given you a reason to pick on them.

Mossopp
03-10-2005, 22:28
Now who's being defensive?!
I hit a nerve I see.

If you don't use myspace then why are you bragging about the fact that you have it and how "emo" it makes you?

Christ! It's practically impossible to have a conversation with most of you people. You take every innocent remark as some kind of verbal attack.
I'm clearly not the one who needs to "chill" here.

Rachel
03-10-2005, 22:31
Jesus Lorna, give it a break. You only seem to have came back here to brag about how emo you are and that you're better than everyone else. Is music the only thing your life involves or is there anything else that interests you?! :bum:

Mossopp
03-10-2005, 22:37
Nope, music is everything to me. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

And I never once "bragged about being emo". Show me one instance where I did. The majority of bands in my music collection are either metalcore or straight-up rock.
Laura was the one who was bragging about being "emo". Not me.

Why is emo even an issue here anyway? This is a tATu board for christsakes - I bet the majority of people don't even know what emo is, nevermind care about it.

Khartoun2004
03-10-2005, 22:40
Nope, music is everything to me. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

And I never once "bragged about being emo". Show me one instance where I did. The majority of bands in my music collection are either metalcore or straight-up rock.
Laura was the one who was bagging about being "emo". Not me.

Why is emo even an issue here anyway? This is a tATu board for christsakes - I bet the majority of people don't even know what emo is, nevermind care about it.

Ok so why don't we just drop the subject? I really don't want to argue with you. I've never had a problem with mossopp. Truce?

Mossopp
03-10-2005, 22:41
Sure.

Rachel
03-10-2005, 22:43
Nope, music is everything to me. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. :bum:

Laura was the one who was bagging about being "emo". Not me.An indirect way of saying it:

Assuming you give a shit about scenesters... :dknow:"I'm better than you, you listen to shit music...blah blah blah..." :bum:

Why is emo even an issue here anyway? This is a tATu board for christsakes - I bet the majority of people don't even know what emo is, nevermind care about it.God, you crack me up! You're the one that is making it an issue!!! :spy:

Mossopp
03-10-2005, 22:44
Why did you use this smilie - :bum: - in response to my first point?

Rachel
03-10-2005, 22:46
Because I can :bum:

Mossopp
03-10-2005, 22:47
That was a great response.

Rachel
03-10-2005, 22:49
I know :yes:

:p

Mossopp
03-10-2005, 22:52
:epopcorn:

Khartoun2004
04-10-2005, 01:42
:blabla: are we entertaining you mossopp? :nail:

rosh
04-10-2005, 11:50
so mossopp -- about that bet you and teeny have going ... who has won ? :cool:

and just so's im on topic, i read a few blogs a day, have one of my own that i post to very infrequently and its mostly melodrama delux and password protected [cos i is a nerd that way]

marina
04-10-2005, 12:55
grabs and throws darje to the floor , shakes violently and tries to strangle her. ...

-- Are you emo , or are you not ?!!! Or are you an emo poser ?? How emo you are ?!
Christ ! Some people have a nerve !!!

;)

nath
04-10-2005, 18:15
-- Are you emo , or are you not ?!!! Or are you an emo poser ?? How emo you are ?!
:lalala:sorry......but please....what does it mean "emo"?

Rachel
04-10-2005, 18:17
:lalala:sorry......but please....what does it mean "emo"?Nath - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo

nath
04-10-2005, 18:20
Thanks Rach!!! :) All is so clear for me now!!!! :bum:

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 19:00
so mossopp -- about that bet you and teeny have going ... who has won ? :cool:

I can't remember the exact terms of the bet.
Teeny - or someone - will have to refresh my memory.

:blabla: are we entertaining you mossopp?

Yeah. Kinda.

Kappa
04-10-2005, 19:38
grabs and throws darje to the floor , shakes violently and tries to strangle her. ...

Christ ! Some people have a nerve !!!

;)

*Has an emo seizure and dies of sheer emo-ness.* :lol:

Since we cynical asshats don't belong in emo threads, I'mma just go over to the corner and slit my wrists with chocolate chip cookies.

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 20:00
^ Off you go then.

madeldoe
04-10-2005, 20:01
*Has an emo seizure and dies of sheer emo-ness.* :lol:

Since we cynical asshats don't belong in emo threads, I'mma just go over to the corner and slit my wrists with chocolate chip cookies.

LMAO :laugh:

i_c that link is hilarious!!

Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.
::sniff sniff:: "The Demise of the Siberian Traintracks of Our Rusty Forgotten Unblemished Love" sounds like it would make a great emo band name. ::cry::

waaaaaah i have black square rimmed glasses!! i gues im emo?? :bum:

btw no matter what anyone says [and what ive said in the past heeeee] myspace is super doo doo dumb cool mayn :cool: yadadamean?!??!

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 20:02
Do you wanktards believe everything you read on UrbanDictionary?

Buy yourselves a clue. :rolleyes:

madeldoe
04-10-2005, 20:03
Do you wanktards believe everything you read on UrbanDictionary?

Buy yourselves a clue. :rolleyes:

who me? :spy: then what is emo??

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 20:05
I'd recommend some bands to you if I thought you'd actually bother to listen to them.

madeldoe
04-10-2005, 20:06
why wouldnt you think id bother to listen to them?

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 20:07
why wouldnt you think id bother to listen to them?

Because you strike me as the type who listens to nothing other than cheesy pop and techno.

QueenBee
04-10-2005, 20:09
One shouldn't judge so fast. ;)

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 20:10
One shouldn't judge so fast. ;)

But it's oh so convenient.

madeldoe
04-10-2005, 20:12
Because you strike me as the type who listens to nothing other than cheesy pop and techno.

:laugh:

do i really? i mean exactly what is it about me that gives off the "all i listen to is pop and techno vibe"?

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 20:14
It's not entirely your fault. I am a very perceptive individual. :p

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 20:25
Nice try.
But there's already an 'emo thread'. I started one before I left this godforsaken place.

Kappa
04-10-2005, 20:40
then what is emo??

A very good friend of mine once said "emo is as fucktard does".

IMHO? It's a useless, if sometimes good sounding, genre of pop music. The main catch? You have to feel like your life is an endless void of complete and sheer misery and emptiness. Maybe cut yourself sometimes. Then again I wouldn't know shit about this genre of music because since it's ALL THEY FUCKING PLAY ON MTV I don't even bother to turn my TV on anymore.

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 20:46
I don't cut myself and I'm not miserable... but yet I still listen to emo.
Guess what Darje? YOU'RE WRONG!
You lose.

madeldoe
04-10-2005, 20:49
LOL i guess im soooo emo right now :D

but wait..mossopp hasnt given her definition of emo yet..

rosh
04-10-2005, 20:50
I don't cut myself and I'm not miserable... but yet I still listen to emo.
Guess what Darje? YOU'RE WRONG!
You lose.

youre not miserable ? could have fooled me ...

youve been spewing nothing but venom since you started posting on the forum again mossopp. any particular reason why ... ?

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 20:57
youre not miserable ? could have fooled me ...

youve been spewing nothing but venom since you started posting on the forum again mossopp. any particular reason why ... ?

Because people are talking shit about something they clearly know nothing about.

And, trust me, I'm not miserable.
I'm outta my parents house, I've got a kickass new job, I'm going to gigs every week and I quit drinking. Life couldn't be better. :D

rosh
04-10-2005, 21:01
Because people are talking shit about something they clearly know nothing about.

And, trust me, I'm not miserable.
I'm outta my parents house, I've got a kickass new job, I'm going to gigs every week and I quit drinking. Life couldn't be better. :D

congrats on finally moving out / leaving the job you hated / getting out more /quitting drinking ! :) [i mean it]

however ... please bear in mind everyone is entitled to their own opinions. and it doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks about something which is important to you. all that matters is that you like something and that it brings you some measure of happiness.

freddie
04-10-2005, 21:19
Mossopp no offence, I never had any ill will towards you in the past or anything, but this latest come-back has all the classic hallmarks of an intended provocation. It's like you purposely say things to get a rise out of people. I don't know if you noticed but somewhere along the way you insulted the whole tatysite community.

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 21:30
congrats on finally moving out / leaving the job you hated / getting out more /quitting drinking ! [i mean it]

however ... please bear in mind everyone is entitled to their own opinions. and it doesnt really matter what anyone else thinks about something which is important to you. all that matters is that you like something and that it brings you some measure of happiness.^ See, why can't everyone here be as rational as you?

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 21:34
Mossopp no offence, I never had any ill will towards you in the past or anything, but this latest come-back has all the classic hallmarks of an intended provocation. It's like you purposely say things to get a rise out of people. I don't know if you noticed but somewhere along the way you insulted the whole tatysite community.

^ Damn, you rumbled me and so have thwarted my whole devious plan to piss off a bunch of people I've never met and haven't spoken to in almost a year.
Damn you and your powers of insight and perception!

KillaQueen
04-10-2005, 21:58
mossopp, dearest, if you only came back here to brag about what you did and what you are (="emo" - for the zillionth time, would you have a definition for that?), diss and look down on everyone, i suggest you get a hold of yourself or go to some other forum. an emo one, for example? there you'd all be "misunderstood" individuals with superiority complexes. maybe some group therapy would do you good.

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 22:14
Oh fuck off. Laura was the one going on and on about how emo she is.
How many fucking times can people misinterpret me? When did I ever say I was emo? Go on - quote me saying I'm emo. I challenge you. You can't do it because I never said it!
All I said was that you people blatantly have no idea what 'emo' actually is. And I'm right. You keep proving me right time and time again.

You know what? Forget it.
I don't need to waste my time with this.

And I do not need therapy. I'm probably one of the most well-adjusted people here.

Kappa
04-10-2005, 22:26
How many fucking times can people misinterpret me? When did I ever say I was emo? Go on - quote me saying I'm emo. I challenge you.
^
Challenge taken. Of course though, I know you're gonna say you are not emo and were just setting an example of how people have become.
v

All I said was that you people blatantly have no idea what 'emo' actually is. And I'm right. You keep proving me right time and time again.

Keep dreaming that little dream. :yes:

You know what? Forget it.
I don't need to waste my time with this.

And I do not need therapy. I'm probably one of the most well-adjusted people here.

You know, not even Tatu contradicts themselves so much in one sentence. Why do I know this? Because in 10 minutes time, you'll be back to the forums to diss me because "I don't know what emo is", even when you've said yourself you don't need to waste your time with this. That aside, we don't give a shit if you're one of the most well-adjusted people in here. Have fun looking down at us freaks from your cloud of emo.

In an ending note, I'd like to quote the best cynical bullshit "PWNED" quote I ever found in a forum:

"An internet discussion is like the Paralympics: it doesn't matter if you win, you're still retarded."

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 22:27
Okay then you win, retard!

Kappa
04-10-2005, 22:30
:rolleyes: Thank you, your half assed 5 year old reply just proved my point. :yes:

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 22:34
Good, I'm glad I was able to give you a self-inflated feeling of smugness. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Now you can feel special because you won one of those "retarded" internet arguments you apparently hate so much. :rolleyes:
Anyone else see the hypocracy here?

Kappa
04-10-2005, 22:43
Look. Believe whatever you want. You have your own opinion, althought you strike me as the sort of person that buys a Hot Topic shirt that says "I'm Original", then sits next to the seven thousand other girls in the row that have the same shirt. I'm so sorry that you think these forums are shit, but what totally surpasses my understanding is why the fuck do you stay if you hate them so.

Not to say a little anarchy every now and then is bad, but when it's childish rebeliousness like what you've come to display ever since you came back, childish and without a reason too, not only spatting shit at the people that don't like you, but at the people who DO like you, one does wonder why the hell do people even bother to try and be friendly with you. People who like you are walking on eggshells around you since you came back because they have no idea of what will set you off spouting a bunch of emo shit next time. That's not only not a good thing, it's unnerving.

And I don't think I won "this retarded internet argument" because the only one argueing that she's better off mentally than us, that she doesn't have time for this shit (although she's spent hours saying the same "you don't know what emo is *cry*" argument) is you.

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 22:52
Look. Believe whatever you want. You have your own opinion, althought you strike me as the sort of person that buys a Hot Topic shirt that says "I'm Original", then sits next to the seven thousand other girls in the row that have the same shirt. I'm so sorry that you think these forums are shit, but what totally surpasses my understanding is why the fuck do you stay if you hate them so.

Why do I stay here? This is the first time I've been here in almost a year. Haven't you been paying attention.
And I don't intend to stay. I only dropped by cos I was bored and I wanted to see how everyone was. I needn't have bothered - most of you are just as petty and incapable of reason as you ever were.

And I'd never shop at Hot Topic:
1. It's fashionXcore for preps who think they're 'edgy' and 'alternative'.
2. We don't actually have Hot Topic stores in Scotland.

YLuelniaa
04-10-2005, 22:52
really.........who gives a flying fcuk what emo is...whos emo and who isn't...GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 22:54
but at the people who DO like you, one does wonder why the hell do people even bother to try and be friendly with you..

Pfft! when did you ever try to be friendly with me?
I still have all the PM's saved from when you spat the dummy out about me being an alcoholic (which, I shouldn't have to point out, wass none of your fucking business in the first place)!
So don't try'n act like I shoved your "friendliness" down your throat cos you never fucking gave me any!

Mossopp
04-10-2005, 23:00
really.........who gives a flying fcuk what emo is...whos emo and who isn't...GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

If you don't care then why are you in the 'emo' thread?

YLuelniaa
04-10-2005, 23:02
If you don't care then why are you in the 'emo' thread?

OH Please....dont even start with me......

wait........

When i think about it.......YOUR NOT WORTH MY TIME!!! ....

...leaves thread.....

Rachel
04-10-2005, 23:02
*yawns*

Is there any point in this "discussion" any longer? :bum:

QueenBee
04-10-2005, 23:04
Well, if Mossopp keeps her promise, she'll be out of here in no time anyway.

Kappa
04-10-2005, 23:04
Not quite, because in the first place it never was a discussion, it was about Mossopp schooling us in the art of emo.

Rachel
04-10-2005, 23:07
Not quite, because in the first place it never was a discussion, it was about Mossopp schooling us in the art of emo.That's why I said used the " "

EDIT : WOOOOOO TWO THOUSAND POSTS!

madeldoe
05-10-2005, 01:51
lol congrats i_c

im here cuz i want mossopps definition of emo..tis all :D

coolasfcuk
05-10-2005, 07:09
:lol: :laugh: :lol:

This helped my dinner settle perfectly ... now I can go on and meet my friend T. so that we can discuss our presentation on friday on Diller + Scofidio (hey, I hear they are pretty emo, yo! LoL) .... well, there are so many great things to quote here, but unfortunatelly i dont havce time to deal with that right now .... but mossopp, yeah, you are the most stable one here, ok?! Even an earthquake cant shake you :heh:
Not to offend anyone, but I will play doctor phycholog here :gigi: and attribute your ignorant behaviour to your surroundings and environment ... i do hope you moved somewhere where you can get much more exposure to the world ... darje, great to see you posting 'round here.... and Ive been meaning to tell you that every time I go to the Dyke bar in San Francisco I think of YOU :heh: ... if you ever come around in the Bay Area let me know, because I'd totally take you there - I think you'd LOVE it :D

marina
05-10-2005, 15:44
I've got a kickass new job, I'm going to gigs every week and I quit drinking. Life couldn't be better.

I'm glad that you are ok. Since you haven't been around lately, I've been wondering if you didn't love us anymore or what. :cool:

Seriously though...can we just put that disappointment behind us and look forward to new and happier threads? like the ones you wrote before , Mossopp....like being to gigs and others...
I don't think anybody here really wish you bad .....there is no evil on this forum (well...almost....apart from Craving song from *D&M* album :D )

Kappa
05-10-2005, 16:31
and Ive been meaning to tell you that every time I go to the Dyke bar in San Francisco I think of YOU

Maybe next year when I'm in college. :yes: We're planning to visit friends in Arizona, maybe I can cross state and go visit you. :coctail:

Rachel
05-10-2005, 22:22
....there is no evil on this forum (well...almost....apart from Craving song from *D&M* album :D )Oi :bebebe: That is the best song on the album :mad:

Lux
05-10-2005, 22:23
craving is a good song! it's certainly better than friend or foe, which is utter shite. LOL

Rachel
05-10-2005, 22:24
^^^ So true!! :gigi:

marina
06-10-2005, 04:08
No , it's not ! :bebebe:

That's give me idea -- we need to get started with a new thread * The discovery
of the worst song in the history of music.... Truly, the worst.* Seems like fun :D

Kappa
06-10-2005, 04:18
That's give me idea -- we need to get started with a new thread * The discovery of the worst song in the history of music.... Truly, the worst.* Seems like fun :D

Given that we're many people from different countries, we probably would reach new lows, undiscovered in the mainstream world of music. :D

Lux
06-10-2005, 04:34
you're saying that Friend or Foe is more appealing to you then Craving? musically, lyrically, the whole shabang?

Rachel
06-10-2005, 04:49
That's give me idea -- we need to get started with a new thread * The discovery of the worst song in the history of music.... Truly, the worst.* Seems like fun :DIf Craving is included I will cry :(

I dunno why no one likes it :bum:

Kappa
06-10-2005, 05:12
I like it! It reminds me of the sixties. :coctail:

Rachel
06-10-2005, 05:15
LMAO Oh god...I have a sudden dislike to it now LOL

Kappa
06-10-2005, 05:33
My work here is done, then. :yes:

marina
06-10-2005, 08:42
you're saying that Friend or Foe is more appealing to you then Craving? musically, lyrically, the whole shabang?

I'm saying that after listening the Craving song even Friend-or-Foe feels like hitting the jackpot.

As for *musically, lyrically, the whole shabang?* , probably musically . It's all about music :) Music or melody is more important to me than lyrics. Of course it's nice when splendid melody goes together with cool lyrics(generally spoken , I'm not talking now Friend or Foe) ...but if lyrics are a lot like 4-year olds gibberish but music is nice -- I would listen. Unfortunately , it's impossible the other way round

Joopy
06-10-2005, 11:47
Ohh, emo thread!
Isn't emo boys kissing hot?
Click, click:
http://sk8rboys.sk8haven.com/emoboys.htm :o :o *Orgasms over everybody*

Kappa
06-10-2005, 16:12
Gross. :bebebe:

Rachel
06-10-2005, 18:28
Gross. :bebebe:LOL My thoughts exactly :bum:

coolasfcuk
06-10-2005, 19:42
Gross.
what's wrong with you guys .... guy's making out are hot :heh: ... not sure if Emo boys are hot, but thats another issue ...

...on that note, to repeat the obvious... I absolutely LOVE it how the Emos classify other people as 'cheesy pop listeners', but fail to realize that no matter how much they want to fight classification - they are just the same (and probably get just as much media attention this days) - an angry kids cult, who are now main stream, rather then the avant gard. :lol: Britney isnt even popular anymore, it is the new angry, antsy ones out there, in everyone;s face on the damn tv..

I saw mossopp, was secretly reading while i was writing this, but i guess she doesnt want to grace us with any more of her wisdom :( ... that's too bad...

Kappa
06-10-2005, 20:25
what's wrong with you guys .... guy's making out are hot :heh: ... not sure if Emo boys are hot, but thats another issue ...

While they fail to turn me on, it's not the emo boys making out that made me say "gross", it was joopy_froot failing to understand that cumming over a bunch of lesbian girls (which maybe I'm wrong, but are like 80% of the posting force of the forums) ain't winning him any popularity. :rolleyes:

haku
06-10-2005, 20:47
Be gentle girls, he's not been here for long, it takes some time to realize that the forum is almost exclusively lesbian and that mentioning anything about male sexuality will only earn you disgusted replies… :laugh: We've all been there. :gigi:

zebu
06-10-2005, 20:59
Ohh, emo thread!
Isn't emo boys kissing hot?
Click, click:
http://sk8rboys.sk8haven.com/emoboys.htm :o :o *Orgasms over everybody*

hot indeed, lovely pics. dont mind what other say u just keep posting pics ;)

Kappa
06-10-2005, 21:34
Be gentle girls, he's not been here for long, it takes some time to realize that the forum is almost exclusively lesbian and that mentioning anything about male sexuality will only earn you disgusted replies… :laugh: We've all been there. :gigi:

Still. Jizz?! Over moi?! :lol:

rosh
07-10-2005, 13:06
Still. Jizz?! Over moi?! :lol:

:bum:

bleh

but still, any kissing pics are hot :D

Khartoun2004
20-11-2005, 09:57
My favorite rado station (9.55 WBRU) has this thing where they come up with a "list of..." every week and the list for the week of OCtober 11, 2005 was the top 15 EMO bands. and they are *drum roll*

Week of October 11th
Top 15 Emo Bands

1. Weezer
2. Dashboard Confessional
3. My Chemical Romance
4. Taking Back Sunday
5. The Used
6. Jimmy Eat World
7. Brand New
8. Story of the Year
9. Fall Out Boy
10. Death Cab for Cutie
11. Something Corporate
12. Coheed & Cambria
13. Finch
14. Thrice
15. Bright Eyes

I agree with all of them except Weezer, they are so not the best emo band of all time

check out BRU at Click (http://www.wbru.com)

Kappa
13-12-2005, 02:53
They fail, Weezer is a geek band, not an emo one. >_>

Mossopp
13-12-2005, 21:03
Coheed aren't emo either. I make I point of kicking anyone who says they are.

coolasfcuk
14-12-2005, 00:19
15. Bright Eyes
:laugh: THOSE are emo? :lol: I went to a party with them once (when i was still living back in Omaha where they are from) ... booooooooooring

Mossopp
14-12-2005, 00:28
"They"? I thought Bright Eyes was just that Conner guy on his own. :confused:

coolasfcuk
14-12-2005, 00:53
"They"? I thought Bright Eyes was just that Conner guy on his own. :confused:
well, i have to admit i am not a fan, i just know people that know them ... and as far as i know, Conner is THE main guy, but he isnt a solo piece :D ... my friend's boyfriend works for Saddle Creek Records and tours with Cursive ... and as far as i know they are all in some sorts of bands together, but i can never keep track... my friend's boyfriend (who is also my friend as well, but for sake of clarification) used to be in a band http://www.notlame.com/Browse_by_Artist/E/%6089_Cubs/Page_1/CD89CUBS1.html (you can hear couple of mp3) ... and the drummer in the band Matt, was in a band with Conner http://www.timmcmahan.com/desa.htm ... and so on and so forth, as you can see.... i am getting them all cofused already :lol:

Khartoun2004
14-12-2005, 19:05
Mossopp I'm sorry but Coheed is Scremo. They are one of those bands that can belong to made different genres but for the most part they are Scremo which makes them EMO.

Deny it all you want but I'm not even going to entertain your opinion that they aren't emo unitl you tell me specificly why they aren't. Especially since you're the only person I know that says otherwise.

Mossopp
14-12-2005, 20:09
Coheed are prog rock.
'Screamo' is stuff like Senses Fail, Story Of The Year and The Used. All three of those bands sound practically the same. Coheed sound nothing like them.
Trust me, I'm a musician and I know about song structures. The way Coheed structure their songs is far more technical and complex than what's laid out in the 'screamo' blueprint. I can listen to any song by The Used et al and figure out how to play it note perfect on my own guitar within about 10 minutes. Coheed songs are so fucking technical that it could take hours to figure out by ear how to play them.
And, putting the music aside, even their lyrics are much more obscure and diverse than the typical "Woe is me for my life is so fucking hard' angsty poetry that Bert 'look at me - I'm a junkie' McCracken makes millions from spewing forth.
And if you still think Coheed are screamo then I shall invite my friends from the Coheed messageboard to come here and tell you how wrong you are.

Khartoun2004
15-12-2005, 00:00
Coheed are prog rock.
'Screamo' is stuff like Senses Fail, Story Of The Year and The Used. All three of those bands sound practically the same. Coheed sound nothing like them.

I kind of agree with you on that, except The Used and Story of the Year sound nothing alike. The Used are a bunch of MCR, SOTY, Hawthorne Heights wannabes.

Trust me, I'm a musician and I know about song structures.

I'm a muscian too. I can play 11 instruments, not to mention the fact that I aced music theory even though I slept through most of class. Knowing about song structure doesn't always mean you can accurately place a song or band in the 'correct' genre.

The way Coheed structure their songs is far more technical and complex than what's laid out in the 'screamo' blueprint.

That just means they have all lot of talent. Look at the classical era for a second. Mozart's songs are far more complex than beethoven or hydan. Yet all three are still apart of the same era. Maybe you're right, but I still think it's a weak argument.

And, putting the music aside, even their lyrics are much more obscure and diverse...

Again "obscure and diverse" lyrics are not enough to disclude a band from genre. Gerad Way's lyrics are totally fucking more obscure than half the bands claiming to be Scremo these days, but that doesn't mean MCR isn't scremo.

A quick look at the history of emo will show that it's constantly evolving. In 20 years it's gone from being nothing more than a watered down version of Punk to existing as a genre all of it's own with very little ties to Punk music. And as with any genre it has many sub-genre and it is in one of those sub-genre that Coheed and Cambria fall under.

I'm not denying that Coheed belongs to other genres as well, but one of them is EMO because emo kids listen to them. They gop buy their albums. They buy tickets to their shows and run around in Coheed t-shirts and sweatshirts. They have Coheed pins on their messenger bags and patches on their jackets that they bought at the salvation army.

Mossopp you said it yourself a while back in this thread that 'emo' is still underground in Scotland. Trust me there is nothing underground about emo in Boston and Providence. Emo kids thrive here and probably out number the amount of punks and metal-core fans.

Mossopp
15-12-2005, 09:07
Why did you ask me for my opinion if you were just going to dismiss it anyway?
Just because America is overrun with pansy-ass 'scene' wannabes who think it's cool to wear Coheed shirts, doesn't mean that everything is then emo by default.

I'm not denying that Coheed belongs to other genres as well, but one of them is EMO because emo kids listen to them.

Okay, so if emo kids suddenly decided to listen to Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir would that make those bands emo as well?
Thank about what you're saying. You're pigeonholing a band based on what the people who listen to them look like! Have you any idea how insane that is?

That's the problem with the fucking 'scene' these days - people care more about what they look like than the fucking music. They just listen to bands to appear cool.
I went to see Armor For Sleep on Monday night, and noone in the crowd even moved. Some people even considered themselves too cool to applaude after each song. People like that make me sick and they're ruining the live music scene for those of us who actually care about the music. Bunch of fucking pansy-ass emo pussys - scared to pit incase they mess up their hair.
Makes me fucking ill!

teeny
15-12-2005, 10:20
Who cares if a band is Emo or not? Do you like the music? - if so why not listen to it either way?
If it sounds bad, then why care about them at all? Just listen to something else then.

Kappa
15-12-2005, 17:16
Who cares if a band is Emo or not? Do you like the music? - if so why not listen to it either way?
If it sounds bad, then why care about them at all? Just listen to something else then.

The problem is not the band itself at times, the problem is the whole generation of posers that put them on the popularity lists.

Mossopp
15-12-2005, 20:01
The problem is not the band itself at times, the problem is the whole generation of posers that put them on the popularity lists.

I agree with that.

Rachel
15-12-2005, 22:10
Why does it matter though? :confused:

Mossopp
15-12-2005, 22:19
Because I go to a lot of gigs and many of them are totally ruined by the idiots in the crowd.
If people want to be clueless posers then they can do it for all I care. But when they turn up at shows and spoil my enjoyment of the gig... it's war. :mad:

Rachel
15-12-2005, 22:20
What do they do at the gigs that annoys you?

Sorry, I'm intreguied.

Mossopp
15-12-2005, 22:28
What do they do at the gigs that annoys you?

Sorry, I'm intreguied.

They just stand there. They don't dance, they don't pit, they don't even applaude. They're too "cool" to enjoy themselves so they just stand there looking bored. :rolleyes:
Then they give me dirty looks just because I headbang or jump about a bit.
It pisses me off. If they aren't gonna have a good time then they should stay at home and make way for those of us who aren't stuck-up our own arses.

Either that or the crowd is overrun with hormonal teenage girls who spend the whole gig twittering on about how "hott" the band members (usually the singer or the guitarist) are. If I wanted to be surrounded by screaming half-wits I'd go to a Westlife show, thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Rachel
15-12-2005, 22:31
If they aren't gonna have a good time then they should stay at home and make way for those of us who aren't stuck-up our own arses.That is weird, you're suppose to go to gigs to enjoy yourself :confused:

If I wanted to be surrounded by screaming half-wits I'd go to a Westlife show, thank you very much. :rolleyes:LMAO Yeah, so true :laugh:

coolasfcuk
15-12-2005, 22:56
mossopp, here you are with yout 'blah blah blah' again .... 'blah blah blah' = 'omg, i am so fucking tough .... anybody who isnt bahaving like ME is a fucking pussyfied pussy ... etc', which of course is a tiny bit disturbing, even only because NOT everyone likes to enjoy shows the same way you do - so if they wanna stand and look BORED and ANTSY, why dont you let them? (isnt that the WHOLE point to that fucking Emo anyway :laugh: - looking bored)
Second, i find it even more interesting that you refer to whatever that guy in your avatar is as "your husband" and yet, you so aggressively attack girls who think band members are HOT :laugh: ... sorry, but it sounds just a tiny bit hypocritical. :heh:

Mossopp
15-12-2005, 23:21
I said he was "my future husband", and I was being tounge-in-cheek.
And at least I've actually spent some time with him. I don't just stand in the front row and scream about how I want to have his children.
Humour is lost on you, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Khartoun2004
15-12-2005, 23:59
Why did you ask me for my opinion if you were just going to dismiss it anyway?
Just because America is overrun with pansy-ass 'scene' wannabes who think it's cool to wear Coheed shirts, doesn't mean that everything is then emo by default.

hang on a sec mossopp I was not dismissing your opinion. I agreed with you that Coheed is Prog rock, I was merely pointing out the fact that they also fit into the emo category as well. Some of their songs are emo. i.e. The Suffering and Bye Bye Beautiful are classic examples of emocore, with the whining vocals and subject matter of the lyrics.

But yes you are correct that for the most part they are not emo.

And what makes you so sure that "America is overrun with pansy-ass 'scene' wannabes"? The live show scene in Prov is still very much alive. I haven't gone to a single show where there wasn't a pit.

The Alkaline Trio, MCR Show in september had ambulences leaving station park every 15 minutes with 10 year olds in them who got trampled in the pit. If you're going to proclaim that the scene is being destroyed, it's not because of the 'emo' kids. It's the fact that parents are letting their pre-pubescent children go to rock concerts and the venues that sell the children their tickets.

Mossopp
16-12-2005, 00:05
Did you hear about Tim from All American Rejects?

Khartoun2004
16-12-2005, 00:17
No, what happened to Tim?

Lux
16-12-2005, 00:19
this feels like teenage drama. *checks age* ooo yeah, not in highschool anymore.

Mossopp
16-12-2005, 00:20
No, what happened to Tim?

Apparently he hung himself yesterday.

coolasfcuk
16-12-2005, 00:21
I said he was "my future husband", and I was being tounge-in-cheek.
And at least I've actually spent some time with him. I don't just stand in the front row and scream about how I want to have his children.
Humour is lost on you, isn't it? :rolleyes:
humour? me? .... not lost at all :D but, for the sake of clarifying this: i just read more in some other thread about him being the only man you;d do whatever it was for :lol: , just because those girls scream at the front row doesnt mean you guys dont share similar thought (god forbid) ... also, what's spending time with him has to do with it? maybe some of the other girls did as well, how do you know ... for all i know, he could've fucked them all (one by one or in a group sex session).. you know how those 'rock stars' are :lol:
:coctail:

this feels like teenage drama. *checks age* ooo yeah, not in highschool anymore.
:lol: that was funny .... good thing i didnt go to american high school... so now is my time to catch-up on the DRAMA....!

Khartoun2004
16-12-2005, 00:21
Apparently he hung himself yesterday.

WHAT!? No Way! That fucking sucks. I was just listening them in my car on the way to school. Where did you find this out?

Mossopp
16-12-2005, 00:23
WHAT!? No Way! That fucking sucks. I was just listening them in my car on the way to school. Where did you find this out?

Tyson mentioned onstage that the band had lost someone close to them - but he didn't say who. Then apparently someone who worked at the record company that Tim's old band was signed to broke the news.
AAR haven't made an official announcement as yet, but unfortunately it does appear that Tim is no longer with us.
First John Beatz is taken from us and now this. It's horrible. :(

Rachel
16-12-2005, 00:28
Woah, I have no idea who this guy is but that's really sad. :(

Why do all these people in the entertainment industry do this to themselves? :(

Lux
16-12-2005, 00:29
:lol: that was funny .... good thing i didnt go to american high school... so now is my time to catch-up on the DRAMA....!

this is the place...catch up while it's still a hotbed for drama ;)

Mossopp
16-12-2005, 00:32
Woah, I have no idea who this guy is but that's really sad. :(

Why do all these people in the entertainment industry do this to themselves? :(

I dunno what his reasons were.
Its always horrid when someone in a band you like dies. Especially in such bleak circumstances.
I was fucking devastated when John Beatz was killed cos I'd seen Bayside about 2 weeks before it happened. It's weird to think that I was at one of the last shows he ever played.

Rachel
16-12-2005, 00:35
I dunno what his reasons were.
Its always horrid when someone in a band you like dies. Especially in such bleak circumstances.
I don't know why anyone would wanna get into the industry when it appears such a high percentage of these people end up either overdosing themselves with drugs by accident or committing suicide.

Is it the focus on them that does it? Or is it something that has always been there?

Sorry, I'm going off topic a bit but I want your opinion.

Mossopp
16-12-2005, 00:44
I don't know why anyone would wanna get into the industry when it appears such a high percentage of these people end up either overdosing themselves with drugs by accident or committing suicide.

People start bands because music is their passion and what drives them in life. Music is my life and it's the only thing I care about. Nothing would deter me from persuing a career in music.
People don't go into it thinking that they might die from an overdose or end up committing suicide. Truth is, if a person has suicidal tendencies or an addictive personality the chances are they'd end up killing themselves whether they got into the rock industry or not.

Is it the focus on them that does it? Or is it something that has always been there?

Perhaps the focus has something to do with it. Kurt Cobain is a prime example of someone who just couldn't handle fame and so ended up topping himself. But Kurt was a junkie so the chances are he would have died from an overdose at some point whether he was the frontman or Nirvana or not.
It's the senseless waste of life that really gets to me. John from Bayside was killed in a traffic accident just over a month ago. One minute the band were driving along the highway in their van, the next minute the van has hit a patch of black ice, flipped over and John is dead.
Similarly the death of Dimebag was just fucking horrible - shot by some crazy fucker while he was up onstage doing the one thing he loved most in life, playing music.

I dunno. It's a fucked up world we live in.

Rachel
16-12-2005, 00:49
Ok, don't attack me for this coz I'm certainly not looking for a fight or anything, but why is it that so many of the people that kill themselves are in that kinda genre of music?

Or maybe I'm generalising too much :confused:

Mossopp
16-12-2005, 00:57
Rock music tends to focus on the darker side of life and the human psyche. I think the problem with people like Kurt Cobain and Layne Stayley and Ian Curtis and any other tragic figures of their like was the fact that they overanalysed everything too much. If you think about life too deeply you will become pretty depressed. Their negative nature was expressed in their music.
Although with Layne and Kurt you could also argue that living in the heroin capital of the world didn't help them any. Can anyone name a band from Seattle that hasn't had a problem with heroin?
Basically what I'm trying to say is that people who have dark thoughts are gonna make dark music. While happy-go-lucky people who are also probably a bit brain-dead are gonna make pop-lite shite such as Sluts Aloud and Westlife.
Did that make any sense? I'm kinda tired right now.

Rachel
16-12-2005, 01:02
Rock music tends to focus on the darker side of life and the human psyche. I think the problem with people like Kurt Cobain and Layne Stayley and Ian Curtis and any other tragic figures of their like was the fact that they overanalysed everything too much. If you think about life too deeply you will become pretty depressed. Their negative nature was expressed in their music. Yeah, I think that is true, overthinking causes you to question everything in life. I think everyone has probably experienced that in some point of their life.
While happy-go-lucky people who are also probably a bit brain-dead are gonna make pop-lite shite such as Sluts Aloud and Westlife.True, but they certainly also have their own problems - eating disorders etc, so behind all that smiling and cheese I'm sure there's a lot of pain too.
Did that make any sense?Yep :yes:

Khartoun2004
06-11-2006, 05:45
I'm bring the 'EMO' thread back because I'm feeling particularly emo right now.

I re-took Mossopp's test in the first post and got a score of 71.7% EMO... hmmm...

Anyway, my question for the masses is... Would you consider Panic! at the Disco "emo" or just sell-outs and why?

coolasfcuk
06-11-2006, 06:11
pleaseeeeeee, kill the emo... and what the hell is a 'sell out'? hypocracyyyyyyyyyyyy

sakuya
06-11-2006, 10:36
Guys, more tolerance please.. Everyone is as they are..

Winkie
06-11-2006, 12:33
I look like I'm dead and I'm dressed like a homo
I must be emo

Emo's are hot :D And I really like to talk to them and stuff, they're cool.. But there are so many wannabe's and I hate them -_-' Blegh

sakuya
06-11-2006, 13:26
*read all topic*
Damn.. This reminds me of one person, who is screaming *ME IS EMO! ME KNOW EVERYTHING BOUT IT*. Yeah righttt.. I think its kind of sad.. I like emo music, but that do not mean i cant say MCR's new CD is S*it (no offence mcr's fans, it is just IMHO). Anyways i think that it is Bulls*it when people try to prove that they are emo, listen only to emo music and so on.. I think it is an complex, that you may be a poser...

Khartoun2004
06-11-2006, 18:00
pleaseeeeeee, kill the emo... and what the hell is a 'sell out'? hypocracyyyyyyyyyyyy

Don't kill the real emo kids... just the scenesters, cause they suck.

A sell out is someone who starts making music for the love of making music and then just does it to make as much money and become as famous as possible.

tainted_chick
06-11-2006, 20:51
I love EMOs some are fuckin hot!!!!! I dont really know what music to class emo, i just like what i like!!

Fallen_Angel
06-11-2006, 21:28
*walks into tread* im emo *walks back out*

tainted_chick
06-11-2006, 21:31
i get called Emo as an insult but im like who gives a shit, im me!

Mossopp
06-11-2006, 21:50
Anyway, my question for the masses is... Would you consider Panic! at the Disco "emo" or just sell-outs and why?

They are a prime example of sell-outs! Take it from someone who's met them. They're dickheads who are only in it for the money and fame.
If we're judging them purely on the music then no way are Panic! "emo". It's basic pop music. Nothing more.

spyretto
07-11-2006, 02:49
They are a prime example of sell-outs! Take it from someone who's met them. They're dickheads who are only in it for the money and fame.
If we're judging them purely on the music then no way are Panic! "emo". It's basic pop music. Nothing more.

They sound like a more "poppish" version of emo to me. :D