PDA

View Full Version : Ellen DeGeneres dating Portia DeRossi?

Mossopp
14-12-2004, 21:52
I saw this on the IMDB earlier today. Now MSN News has picked up the story:

Degeneres Suddenly Single: Ellen Splits With Longtime Love.

It's the end of the line for Ellen DeGeneres and Alexandra Hedison. People reports the low-key couple has called it quits after four years of togetherness.
According to the mag, Hedison moved out of Ellen's Hollywood Hills digs last month.
"It's difficult for both of them and very sad," a source tells the magazine. "They were a private couple and they hope they can separate privately."
But privacy may be a problem after a story in Monday's New York Post linking DeGeneres to Portia de Rossi, 31, whom she was allegedly hanging out with at VH1's Big in '04 show on Dec. 1.
So has the popular talk show host already moved on? Not so much, says an insider, who is quick to dismiss the rumor of a romance between the two blondes, insisting it's complete hooey.
Reps for both DeGeneres and de Rossi issued the standard no comment when contacted by MSN Entertainment.
DeGeneres, 46, and Hedison, 35, a photographer and former actress, began quietly dating in 2000, shortly after Ellen and Anne Heche ended their headline-grabbing relationship. That split prompted a media frenzy that was helped along by Heche's post-breakup wanderings around Fresno waiting for the mothership to beam her up.
News of the split will come as a surprise to those who caught DeGeneres on Dateline last month, as she responded in the affirmative when asked if Hedison was the love of her life.
"Yes. Yeah. I've never felt this way before. Ever," gushed Ellen. "She's amazing. She's kind. She's funny. Really, really funny. Makes me laugh very hard. I'm happier than I've been in my entire life."
No word on whether Ellen and Alexandra have worked out custody arrangements for their two cats, Harlow and Subtle, and dog, Lucy.
De Rossi, meanwhile, has remained tight-lipped about her personal life, although she's been linked in recent years to singer-songwriter Francesca Gregorini, the daughter of actress Barbara Bach and stepdaughter of Ringo Starr.
"I live my life the way I want to live it," the "Arrested Development" beauty recently told Australia's Herald-Sun. "I am certainly not going to modify my life just to suit the paparazzi."

Any thoughts?
Is Ellen DeGeneres still relevant in the gay community anymore?
Maybe the younger folks don't realise it but 'Ellen' (the TV show, and the woman herself I guess since it was her show) was really a big thing for us back in the 90's. An openly gay character on a prime-time sitcom was unheard of untill Ellen came along. She pretty much paved the way for the likes of 'Will & Grace' and 'Queer Eye For The Straight Guy'.
It's a shame she only ever seems to be in the headlines because of who she's dating rather than her comedic/acting talents. Still, that's the media for ya! :rolleyes:

madeldoe
15-12-2004, 00:13
i thought that Portia De Rossi was married?

Mossopp
15-12-2004, 14:39
i thought that Portia De Rossi was married?
A lot of gay couples say they're "married" but it doesn't necessarly mean anything. Ellen used to refer to Anne Heche as her "wife" but they weren't officially married (to the best of my knowledge).
Gay couples have a poncy "commitment ceremony" (or whatever the hell they're calling it these days) and act like everything's legit. Gay marriage really isn't marriage at all in the eyes of the state/law/society in general. Maybe Portia was "married" but it won't have been in the real sense of the word.
Hell, Portia was straight untill a couple of years ago! :rolleyes:
And so was Anne Heche, who has since gone back into the closet by marrying a male friend of Ellen's (classy :none: ).
Anyone see a pattern here?
Ellen should have stuck with that Alexandra chick - she was hott! :D

PowerPuff Grrl
15-12-2004, 17:19
Is Ellen DeGeneres still relevant in the gay community anymore?

Well, she is relevant as far as publicity goes.
She now has this really successful daytime talk show on some major network. The show is pretty good, actually. After Ellen was cancelled (for good reasons btw, it was really starting to suck) she pretty much disappeared. Then her career shot back up again because of Finding Nemo and she has been pretty popular ever since.

I say this on behalf of the general public, I can't say for sure though for the gay community but I would pretty much imagine that she is important. Rosie O'Donald is pretty much loathed by people both straight and gay so Ellen is seen as a much better alternative, especially considering her show is getting all of Rosie's former demographic.

Gay marriage really isn't marriage at all in the eyes of the state/law/society in general. Maybe Portia was "married" but it won't have been in the real sense of the word.
Hell, Portia was straight untill a couple of years ago!
And so was Anne Heche, who has since gone back into the closet by marrying a male friend of Ellen's (classy ).
Anyone see a pattern here?

I don't get it, so because gay marriage is not recognized by public officials there is no need for two people to respect the committments they both made to each other?
People fight for gay rights for the freedom not to be discriminated against, the rights that are given and priviledges that are entitled to straight marriages. The fight to keep two people, any people, together is fought solely by the two people in a marriage. Splitting up because society doesn't recognize the legitimacy of the marriage seems like a pretty sh!tty excuse to me.

Portia De Rossi was always gay, she didn't really come out of the closet via annoucing to the world on tv. She was simply spotted with her girlfriend and several times seen at a couple Gay Pride parades. She just stopped hiding.
Anne Heche on the other hand is batsh!t crazy. She isn't gay, she isn't straight, she is simply batsh!t crazy. More specifically, famewhorishly batsh!t crazy.

IMHO, it doesn't matter whether somebody is gay or straight; relationships, hell even simple friendships never last long in Hollywood. Before this week even ends, Ellen and Portia will probably split up.

Mossopp
15-12-2004, 17:46
Well, she is relevant as far as publicity goes.
She now has this really successful daytime talk show on some major network. The show is pretty good, actually. After Ellen was cancelled (for good reasons btw, it was really starting to suck) she pretty much disappeared. Then her career shot back up again because of Finding Nemo and she has been pretty popular ever since.
DeGeneres did a couple of rather good movies between 'Ellen' and 'Finding Nemo'. 'EdTV' was really funny and she gave a great performance as a hard-nosed cop in 'Goodbye Lover'. Both those movies were criminally underrated and a hundred times better than Ellen's big screen debut 'Mr. Wrong' in 1996.
I haven't seen her new talk show as the none of the British channels have picked it up as yet.

I say this on behalf of the general public, I can't say for sure though for the gay community but I would pretty much imagine that she is important. Rosie O'Donald is pretty much loathed by people both straight and gay so Ellen is seen as a much better alternative, especially considering her show is getting all of Rosie's former demographic.
Why exactly is it that Rosie O'Donnal is universally loathed? I mean, she is kind of annoying but I've never understood why she attracts as much hatred as she does. Did she do something awful/stupid that I don't know about? :spy:

I don't get it, so because gay marriage is not recognized by public officials there is no need for two people to respect the committments they both made to each other?
People fight for gay rights for the freedom not to be discriminated against, the rights that are given and priviledges that are entitled to straight marriages. The fight to keep two people, any people, together is fought solely by the two people in a marriage. Splitting up because society doesn't recognize the legitimacy of the marriage seems like a pretty sh!tty excuse to me.
I wasn't suggesting that every gay couple break up because their union isn't recognised by the state. The point I was trying to make is that since gay "marriage" isn't officially recognised as a proper marriage, there's less red tape when said gay couple want to get "divorced". Basiclly they can just say "see ya later" and that's it - over. Maybe Portia was "married" to her previous partner but we wouldn't necessarly know if they'd gotten "divorced" because it's not like there'd be legal documents and lawyers involved and stuff.

Portia De Rossi was always gay, she didn't really come out of the closet via annoucing to the world on tv. She was simply spotted with her girlfriend and several times seen at a couple Gay Pride parades. She just stopped hiding.
Ok, I didn't know that.

Anne Heche on the other hand is batsh!t crazy. She isn't gay, she isn't straight, she is simply batsh!t crazy. More specifically, famewhorishly batsh!t crazy.
Yeah, I know! :laugh:
The Biography Channel did a special show about her and she gave this in-depth interview about the circumstances surrounding 'the Fresno incident'. Anne believes that having multiple personalities that can take control of her body at any time is a perfectly reasonable explanation for what happend.
No, love, you're just fucking barmy. And you were more than likely stoned off your face too. That's a reasonable explanation.

ypsidan04
15-12-2004, 23:06
Rosie O'Donald is pretty much loathed by people both straight and gay so Ellen is seen as a much better alternative.

:flag: :yes:

This sounds like a cool thing to me. :D

Unplugged
16-12-2004, 01:56
Actually, Rosie O'Donnell can be quite annoying sometimes. But I agree with Mossopp is she that annoying? Did I miss something too? :p

Mossopp
16-12-2004, 22:19
Rosie rocked in 'Harriet The Spy'! :laugh: