PDA

View Full Version : Movie:: Born into Brothels

Khartoun2004
12-06-2004, 03:47
I spent thursday in Newport, Rhode Island going to see some films at the International Film Festival and Born into Brothels was one of the movies I saw.

It's a documentary about these children that where born in the Red Light district of Calcutta, India. An American photographer went there to photograph the lives of the prostitutes in these Brothels and she started teaching their children to take pictures and develope them. She became so involoved in these kids lives that she tried to help them get enrolled into good schools to save them from suffering the same fate as their parents.

If I were to make a list of movies that have changed my view of the world or my life in general, this movie would rank high up on that list. It was such an eye opening experience for me as a middle class American. Yeah, I knew there was great poverty in the world and Brothels like these exist and things of that nature.

To see it for really and how these people live is unimaginable. These poor children want to learn and go to school. They want a better life and they're willing to work for it, but because of the cast system of their society, no school will take them. It just makes me sad and pissed off when I think about about all the whining some of my friends do about how they ahve to go to school and shit like that, and any one of those kids in the movie whould trade an arm and a leg for even a fraction of the oppurtunities I have. I mean even I've been bitching about how I didn't get into some of the schools I wanted to go to because my guidance counselor didn't send my recommendations or transcripts on time. It made me realize that I should be glad I am going to college and getting a degree. These kids don't even get to earn a high school Diploma.

I strongly recommend going to see this movie if you get the chance. It's really a great film.

taty994945
15-06-2004, 01:52
hey that's a terrible story...poor kids, they deserve much better.