PDA

View Full Version : Better than the original?

Mossopp
21-04-2004, 19:25
In regard to cover versions my father always says "You can't beat the originals". He is, of course, talking a load of crap because I can think of several cover versions that far surpassed the originals!
Here's my list of superior cover versions. I'd be really interested to read other people's lists.

* 'Boys Of Summer' - The Ataris (originally recorded by Don Henley)
* 'Wicked Game' - HIM (originally recorded by Chris Isaac)
* 'American Pie' - Madonna (originally recorded by Don McLean) <- yes, I know this is a controversial choice! :D
* 'Live & Let Die' - Guns N Roses (originally by Paul McCartney)
* 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' - Spineshank (originally by George Harrison)
* 'Knockin' On Heavens Door' - Guns N Roses - (originally by Bob Dylan)
* 'Word Up' - Gun (originally by Cameo)
* 'Suicide Is Painless' - Manic Street Preachers (the original theme from M*A*S*H*)
* 'Shock The Monkey' - Coal Chamber feat. Ozzy Osbourne (orginally by Peter Gabriel)
* 'Let's Do It' - Joan Jett (originally by Cole Porter)

teeny
21-04-2004, 19:40
Words - Boyzone (originally by Bee Gees)
Baby, Can I Hold You - Boyzone (originally by Tracy Chapman)
Let's Talk About Love - Bryan Adams (tricky since Celine Dion sung it first, but it's written by Bryan)
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston (originally by Dolly Parton)
With A Little Help From Your Friends - Joe Cocker (originally by The Beatles)

XtremeHollywood
21-04-2004, 22:30
In regard to cover versions my father always says "You can't beat the originals". He is, of course, talking a load of crap because I can think of several cover versions that far surpassed the originals!
Here's my list of superior cover versions. I'd be really interested to read other people's lists.

* 'Boys Of Summer' - The Ataris (originally recorded by Don Henley)
* 'Wicked Game' - HIM (originally recorded by Chris Isaac)
* 'American Pie' - Madonna (originally recorded by Don McLean) <- yes, I know this is a controversial choice! :D
* 'Live & Let Die' - Guns N Roses (originally by Paul McCartney)
* 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' - Spineshank (originally by George Harrison)
* 'Knockin' On Heavens Door' - Guns N Roses - (originally by Bob Dylan)
* 'Word Up' - Gun (originally by Cameo)
* 'Suicide Is Painless' - Manic Street Preachers (the original theme from M*A*S*H*)
* 'Shock The Monkey' - Coal Chamber feat. Ozzy Osbourne (orginally by Peter Gabriel)
* 'Let's Do It' - Joan Jett (originally by Cole Porter)

No way can you compare the original and the cover other than the lyrics. The HIM cover is way too heavy. I prefer Chris Isaak than HIM on this song. It's supposed to be nice and slow.

Mossopp
21-04-2004, 22:46
No way can you compare the original and the cover other than the lyrics. The HIM cover is way too heavy. I prefer Chris Isaak than HIM on this song. It's supposed to be nice and slow.

HIM aren't exactly the heaviest band on the planet. In fact, HIM and the phrase "way too heavy" could never be legitamately used in the same sentence!
Don't get me wrong - I do like the Chris Isaac original of 'Wicked Game', but it is rather insipid. I feel that HIM's version retains the passion of the original (noone can say that Ville Valo isn't a passionate vocallist) but gives the music itself a sorely needed kick up the arse.

DAZ
22-04-2004, 00:42
Cover versions as good or better than the originals...Hmmm

Cheers Theme-The Wildhearts
Devil Went Down To Georgia-The Levellers
Mad World-Alex Parks or Gary Jules
Route 66-The Cramps
Black Velvet Band-Dropkick Murphys

Haven't heard of HIM or heard their cover of Wicked Game but the video won't be as good as the original as Helena Christiansen won't be bikini clad and all sultry in it!! :D

taty994945
22-04-2004, 03:33
I really like these two:

The Cardigans - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Originally by Black Sabbath)
The Cardigans - Iron Man (Originally by Black Sabbath)

Tom Violence
22-04-2004, 11:52
There's a lot of cover versions I like in similar measures to the originals. But, of the top of my head, the following are some I actually prefer.

Cable: Can't Find My Way Home (Traffic)
China Drum: Wuthering Heights (Kate Bush)
Cicconé Youth: Addicted to Love (Rober Palmer)
Lemonheads: Luka (Suzanne Vega)
Slits: I Heard it Through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye)
Sonic Youth: Superstar (The Carpenters)

spyretto
24-05-2004, 18:25
I really like these two:

The Cardigans - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Originally by Black Sabbath)
The Cardigans - Iron Man (Originally by Black Sabbath)

Are those supposed to be better than the originals, then? :gigi:

No, you can't beat the originals...You also have to take into account when the originals were released.
I think today's "artists" shouldn't even bother doing them :D But they have to have success somehow - with other people's songs. The fact that there are so many covers over covers over covers, goes to show just how crappy and uninspiring popular music is these days...unless it is some hip hop, r&b hybrid like One Eyed Peas, sorry Black-Eyed Peas, right? or Eminem ( which is not my cup of tea anyway )

Even heavy metal has been totally screwed :bum:

spyretto
24-05-2004, 19:15
hmm , on top of my head, I can think of a handful of the lamest covers of songs ( that became hits ).

Eminem's rap version of Dream On...Kid Rock...Limp Bizkit :bebebe:
Heaven ( Bryan Adams' cover by one lame techno outfit its name elludes me ; and I don't think Adams is particularly great) )
All the covers that WPL made during the 80's and early 90s, - the Locomotion, Venus etc...pure crap.
All the super-stupido lame covers from "Academy, Pop-Idol " types of shows from both sides of the Atlantic, including all the Will Young's & what's-the-other's-name, the one with the speech impairement? - ... still selling a million copies.
Songwriters covering their own songs - apparently in a lame way - like Elton's My Song with that tenor, etc. oh, and Candle In the Wind too...of course :bum:

hmm, what else, what else? the list is limitless...oh that girly band...what's the name? Atomic? We all know why they sell records, and it's not for the music , izzit? :D

How about Tatu - How Soon Is Now? :p

zebu
25-05-2004, 00:19
running up that hill - placebo (orig kate bush)

taty994945
25-05-2004, 07:42
Are those supposed to be better than the originals, then? :gigi:

For sure! I'll probably get bashed by some people now. :o

teeny
25-05-2004, 07:50
Songwriters covering their own songs - apparently in a lame way - like Elton's My Song with that tenor, etc. oh, and Candle In the Wind too...of course
Isn't that remakes?
And I guess you are talking about "Your Song"?

How about Tatu - How Soon Is Now?
Didn't list it since I haven't heard the original, so I wouldn't be able to know if their version was better than the original.

Oh and I believe you are thinking about Gareth Gates.

rosh
25-05-2004, 12:09
i like both versions of "how soon is now" but ive heard some hard core morrisey fans bash tatu's one to bits ... i wonder why :gigi:

they both have their merits. i like the way tatu turned it into almost a rock song where before it was a melancholy song about angst.

spyretto
26-05-2004, 09:35
oh yeah Gareth...I think Will is better though...they're the kings of covers. From the Beatles and the Righteous Brothers to Bill Withers and the Doors :p

Nothing that those two haven't gotten their teeth into...karaoke style :p

I think "Release Me" by Def Leppard's roadie surpasses the original :coctail:

hmm, remakes or covers?

teeny
26-05-2004, 14:08
hmm, remakes or covers?
As far as I'm told:
cover - when someone else performs a song
remake - if the original artist is included

Not sure though :lalala:

Mossopp
26-05-2004, 18:28
As far as I'm told:
cover - when someone else performs a song
remake - if the original artist is included

Yeah, that's about right. A "remake" would also be a song that had been changed somewhat when recorded by another artist. A recent example of this would be 'Fuck You Right Back' by Frankee. The song uses the same music and melody as 'Fuck It' by Eamon but Frankee has completely changed the lyrics and thus it cannot technically be classed as a cover.

teeny
26-05-2004, 18:57
Yeah, that's about right. A "remake" would also be a song that had been changed somewhat when recorded by another artist.
ahh ok:) like Westlife "Hey Whatever". Changing the lyrics a bit and people might mistake it for a new song.. pretty smart :gigi:

Khartoun2004
26-05-2004, 22:00
Sonic Youth: Get into the groove (Madonna)
Monica: For you I will (Dolly Parton)
Orgy: Blue Monday (I'm not sure who sings the original)
Tori Amos: Landslide (I have no clue who sang it first. There are too many covers, but this is my favorite version)

Disengage
28-05-2004, 01:44

The Smiths are one of my favorite bands, so no. I do like the tATu version quite a bit though. It was also done by Quicksand, who did an excellent job with it.

Khartoun2004
28-05-2004, 02:12

I have to say that I agree with Spyretto. I really really dislike the Smith version of How Soon is Now and just about everyother cover I've heard. I have always loved the lyrics to the song, but I hated the way it was sung. I don't know I'm wierd like that.

spyretto
31-07-2004, 19:51
The Smiths are one of my favorite bands, so no. I do like the tATu version quite a bit though. It was also done by Quicksand, who did an excellent job with it.

I know the Quicksand version and I thought that was way too grundgy. I prefer the Paradise Lost version ;)

The Ataris' Boys of Summer is very good, my only slight objection is that their singer sounds- or trying to sound - a bit too much like Don Henley. Great guitars though...
Generally I think that decent original 80s tunes can be made into something more ear-friendly today, because the 80s songs had to accommodate those horrible 80s beats, singing styles and hairdos - ok, the hairdos haven't anything to do with the songs themselves but they were really lousy. :bum:

It wasn't more camp than it was bad taste.

Mossopp, you forgot another good GnR's cover: Aint It Fun ( originally recorded by the Dead Boys :) )