PDA

View Full Version : Linux, anyone? Querying about OS's and explorers.

Kappa
31-12-2003, 11:44
I was taking my time in geeking out in the forum. LOL.

As a wannabe Linux user (oh yeah, I'm gonna get Red Hat installed into Lenok :D), I've noticed that Microsoft Windows seems to have an enourmous, well, monopoly. It can be based in the fact that the population of this forum is completely different, ALL around, ages, preferences, etc.

So I want to ask everyone three simple questions:

1. What is the Operating System with which you started?

2. What is the Operating System you use nowadays?

3. What is the explorer you use for browsing/surfing the web?

My answers:

1. On my own, I started out on, nope, not Windows 95 (:bebebe:! I hated that system), but on MS DOS. That was SO much fun. Those were the days of typing out STRINGS and STRINGS of commands.

2. I alternate between my brother's computers (Mac OS, either 9 or X, X being my wet dream) and Windows XP Proffesional.

3. Mozilla.

Unplugged
31-12-2003, 11:49
1. MS-DOS

2. Windows XP

3. "What is the INTERNET EXPLORER you use" - :laugh: well, I use several ones... Opera, Mozilla and MS Internet Explorer... But IE is the default one.

Kappa
31-12-2003, 11:51
staringelf, :bebebe: Fiiiine, I'll change the question.

Hey, is Opera good? :D

Unplugged
31-12-2003, 11:54
Hey, is Opera good?

Yeah, it's fine :D. Just doesn't have as much features as Internet Explorer. If it were more complete, I'd definately choose Opera over IE.

Kappa
31-12-2003, 12:04
I ran away crying like a little girl from IE. I mean, that shit is GOOD, but it's so damn INSECURE. Cookies here and there and just about everywhere, robots enter your computer just b'cause, and it pisses me off that the explorer (ergo, MicroSoft) doesn't really care about the security of the user's information.

I mean, I had more "SEXWITHLESBIANS.exe" robots in between the spyware check ups when I was with IE. Mozilla sure as hell isn't as complete either, but it's damn good keeping my stuff to myself. :D

Back to topic, I've been wanting to test Opera, but now they share it on trial versions. :(

Unplugged
31-12-2003, 12:08
I ran away crying like a little girl from IE. I mean, that shit is GOOD, but it's so damn INSECURE.

Yeah well my whole computer is insecure, so... I mean, I have / never had any anti-virus at all... So I always keep the important stuff on CDs so that I can reinstall everything when viruses attack and delete everything (which has happened like 4 or 5 times).

But yeah, Mozilla is awesome. With that pop-up blocking and stuff ;) I wish it only had more features!

haku
31-12-2003, 14:53
Originally posted by darje
MS-DOS (3 i think but i'm not sure, it's so far away and i have repressed those bad memories).

Mac OS X Panther (http://www.apple.com/macosx/) v.10.3.2
UNIX core + Mac interface = Best OS in the World. :)

Safari (http://www.apple.com/safari/), Apple's default.

Veggie Delite
31-12-2003, 15:24
1) MS-DOS
2) Slackware Linux
3) Mozilla

opera is great too, it's a shame that it sucks in saving pages. and not open-source... but using IE is like being tortured... jeez, a browser without tabs..?!?

teeny
31-12-2003, 16:12
A mix: MS-DOS 6.0 and Windows 3.11

Windows XP - Home Edition, Danish Version

Internet Explorer. I once used Netscape 6.0 but got really tired of the loading time. I used MSN Explorer for a day or two.. sucks big time

0newinged
31-12-2003, 22:59
oooo a geek thread :D

me started in MS-DOS (didn't really know what I was doing back then :p) Then moved to 9x

Now I use XP Pro, 2k for the FTP server, and Gentoo Linux running Fluxbox/GNOME :done:

As for browsers, Mozilla Firebird in gentoo and MSIE6 in XP :done: weee im suck a geek lol... :user: :coctail:

goku
01-01-2004, 00:19
1). Lol. I feel old now. Well, the first OS I used was at work, a terminal running of a UNIX mainframe. My first personal OS was CP/M (older than your 16 and 32 bit kernel DOS you use :heh:)

2). I use Linux as well as Microsoft XP Proffessional.

3). IE or one me and my comrade programmed, TBIT.

QueenBee
01-01-2004, 00:35

Uhm, if something called "Windows 3" existed, then that was it. Or maybe it was MS DOS. I don't remember, those were the old days..

Windows XP Professional. :D It looks so nice.. :lady:

IE :hmmm:

teeny
01-01-2004, 01:45
Uhm, if something called "Windows 3" existed, then that was it.
It did.. it run at my fathers computer at work. He still used the old computer in '97 or so. I tried to upgrade from Win 3 to Win 3.11 but the system couldn't run it :rolleyes:

First many hours behind a monitor was at a Mac though. Don't remember the name of the system. It was a small one, and my dad brought it home to try it out. Only for a week since the firm didn't want to buy it.
I was "sick" the whole week, and stayed home from school to play games at the computer and draw things in it. My dad tried it out an hour or so in total :lalala:

Kappa
01-01-2004, 03:48
0newinged, "and the geeks shall inherit the earth." Bill Gates 3:14

:D

Weeee! haku, I'm deducing only from what I've seen my brother work on, but for all I know, Safari rox. :D

QueenBee, I fortunately had the chance to skip using Win 3.X, since the computer we had at home was bought in 1989 (time flies, doesn't it?). I loved DOS, it didn't only taught me the basics but it also taught me to type in english. (To clear it up, no, I didn't start typing when I was 3 years old, but we had that IBM PS/1 until I was more or less 10).

Here's another question. How old were you when you first worked/met face to face with a computer? The first OS you met is an important indicator in the knowledge of how old you are (for example, Haku's first encounter with DOS must have been an interesting... what, 15 years ago? :D

QueenBee
01-01-2004, 03:54
How old were you when you first worked/met face to face with a computer?

I was about 4 years old.. Yeah. :gigi: I blame my dad! Actually I kinda thank him for that.. he's a cool man. :cool:

teeny
01-01-2004, 03:56
Well the Mac incident must have been when I was 7 or so.
Then nothing for years (playing Nintendo and Sega instead), but then my brother got a computer. I must have been 13 (DOS/WIN 3.11) at this point. I got my own at age of 15 (DOS/WIN 3.11).

Tom Violence
01-01-2004, 11:30

Depends if you count the old BBCs at school. The first PC our family owned was an XT, which my Dad bought in 1990 or so.

This was at the time when hard drives were an optional extra. He had the choice of either two floppy drives - 5.25 inch, of course - or a floppy drive and a huge 30MB hard drive. Thankfully he chose the latter.

I think it had MS-DOS 3 on it. I'm not sure.

These days I use XP and Internet Explorer 6. I'm also well out of my depth in this thread.

skye
01-01-2004, 19:09
DOS of course :yes: about 10 years ago...

Both Windows XP and red hat Linux :)

IE and Molliza or conquerer :)

But I am really bad at using Linux :| because it's not so common here and many programs don't support Linux :help: but it's freeeeeeeeeeeeee whatever :)

Veggie Delite
02-01-2004, 00:54
skye, if u have any problems: www.linuxquestions.org

there is a great forum. find the red hat section.

skye
02-01-2004, 05:55
$in, thanks a lot :) hope that could sovle my problem :user:

Kappa
02-01-2004, 09:03
skye, I'm about to learn how to use Red Hat. Is it good?

skye
02-01-2004, 10:37
darje, it depends on what you are focusing on in using the OS :yes: if you want to build server(such as ftp sever, mail sever or write some program like C++ or perl and the original program code is shown in linux), I recommand you to use linux because it's more steady than windows, if you use computer just in order to surf the net or do some photoshop thing, I think windows is better :) But it's harder to learn linux , for me :lalala: I think onewinged is good at this OS, one of the ftp sever for taty video is built by him :done:

Kappa
02-01-2004, 11:00
skye, I'm interested in programming and learning Perl on my own (C++, I think I'll rather start learning that one when I official enter computing school :dead: ). I already have the bases to an old programming language, Pascal, which is really simple to learn if you want to escalate into more complicate ones. :) So yeah, I'd use Linux to learn more about open source and programming.

freddie
02-01-2004, 17:59
Depends on what you mean. Strickly IBM PCs? Then I started on MS-DOS, and then went quickly to Win 3.11.
Even before that, in the 80s I had a Commodore 64 and whatever the system it was instaled there in the ROM (I think it wasn't even an OS per see, just a program language, or am I wrong? I know that the start commands were a "Load "$" , 8, 1" (something like that) if you wanted to run a program.

Win XP Professional

MS I. Explorer (yes I'm such a bore. LOL)

coolasfcuk
02-01-2004, 18:35
uhhhhhh, I dont know :gigi: ... I was 2 grade (so 1986), we had a class on computers (ha, thanks for my special school) - and the computers were some Bulgarian computers, called Pravetz :laugh: All I leraned to do it is draw geometrical shapes: "fwd 4, right 90, fwd 4, right 90, fwd 4, right 90, fwd 4 - and you got a SQUARE)
after that little class, I didnt touch computer (excluding secretly sneaking on my brothers Commodore 64 in my early teenage years) until I came to America in 1997. Umm... as far as I remember it was Windows 3.1... i think :gigi:

I switch all the time :D
@ one work I use Windows 2000 , ha ha, I know they are BEHIND here :rolleyes: - stingy rich large firm
@ my fun work I use - Mac OS X Panther v.10.3.2

@ the PC IE
@ the MAC - Safari

so if you ask me - MAC all the WAY - esp. for graphics :D am now in the process of planning on buing the G5 for my house, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Veggie Delite
02-01-2004, 19:58
Originally posted by skye
$in, thanks a lot :) hope that could sovle my problem :user:

i'll help, just pm me anytime :)

skye
03-01-2004, 17:20
skye, I'm interested in programming and learning Perl on my own (C++, I think I'll rather start learning that one when I official enter computing school :dead: ). I already have the bases to an old programming language, Pascal, which is really simple to learn if you want to escalate into more complicate ones. :) So yeah, I'd use Linux to learn more about open source and programming.

That's great that you love programming thing :) Before learning C++, we studied Turble C(<--but it's trouble C terrible C in my opinion :dead: ) first, it could be the bases of programming language. I don't really know about Perl :dknow: , that's what my teacher said, but if you want to be a hacker, you can not to know nothing about perl :yes:
And I haven't even heard about Pascal :dknow: :confused: :gigi:
And still thanks to $in :newyear:

Kappa
04-01-2004, 04:30
skye, Perl, methinks, is based in C (or C is based in Perl, I don't remember :gigi: ). Perl is a very important language, but for all I know, I could be lying. :P All I know is that most REAL hackers know Perl like the palm of their hands.

Turbo C, don't you mean?

Pascal is a language in which you can write Windows 3.x applications, DLL's (thought I'm not sure if they work for all kind of OS's) and DOS programs.

haku
06-01-2004, 21:48
for example, Haku's first encounter with DOS must have been an interesting... what, 15 years ago?
LOL, i don't really remember when it was, early 80s i guess. :D
Computers back then didn't even have hard drives, just 2 5.25" floppy drives (400kB i think), 1 for the OS and 1 for your files, and the screen was monochrome.
Even Apple computers used DOS back then, dark ages... :none:

Kappa
07-01-2004, 04:02
haku, very. Just imagine Apple with DOS. *SCREAM.* Hard to believe computers were heavier when they didn't have Hard Drives.

( haku, $in, this wallpaper is for you. :P http://www.deviantart.com/view/4508327/ )

rosh
07-01-2004, 08:10
preferred personal use : freebsd baybee! linux is shit imho. red hat is a nice newbie distro of linux to start out with. to really sink your teeth into linux, try slackware.

i find freebsd more secure, less prone to core dumps, better at being a work station and a server. but linux has its uses i suppose... _i_ just dont have any use for it :)

at work i use : xp [reinstalling 2k soon as i LOATHE xp], freebsd and slackware.

at home since i only have one pc at the moment i have a win 2k box so my brother and sister can also use it. sister cause she lives at home still too and brother because hes too lazy to dial up from his own house.

started out with dos 5 i think ... or whatever was around when i just started high school in 1991.

starting using nix [solaris, linux [various distros], freebsd] when i was 18 so its been about 8 yrs now.

browser wise i use several : opera for linux, konquerer for linux, and IE6.

pascal was cool back in the day ... perl and pascal are similar in the way the syntax works. as is c and parts of c++.

perl is fairly easy to learn and even easier to forget :P i find the easiest way to learn perl is to take a script and hack it to bits to make it do what i want it to.

if anyone needs help with any nix problems ... just pm me :) im happy to help at any time as its part of my current job description anyway [systems administrator, lan administrator, wan administrator, isp network admin etc]

my programming skills are rusty though so be warned :) else pm me anytime

Kappa
07-01-2004, 08:29
rosh, you've just put my heart to rest. :P I thought Perl was more approximate to C++ and as any good n00b, I was crapping on my pants. I'm ANXIOUS to learn, goddamn. *Starts thinking about dumping Pascal.*

rosh
07-01-2004, 08:40
darje : pascal, c, perl velly velly similar :)

learn slowly, good book , perl for dummies, has an active perl cd in it too etc etc.

are you going to learn perl on a *nix box or a windows box ? if windows i can dig up my active perl cd or point you to a url where you can download it ?

i learned it on a freebsd box. [just cause i love the CLI and am too nerdy for words hehe]

Veggie Delite
07-01-2004, 15:44
thanx darje :rose:

teeny
07-01-2004, 15:49
this wallpaper is for you.
totally cute :love:

QueenBee
07-01-2004, 16:11
TLFdk, I agree.. I'm actually using it. :hmmm:

crni
08-01-2004, 00:44
i'm a little late...but anyways...

1. WinME
2. WinXP & Mandrake Linux 9
3. Opera (the fastest (imo) of them all :), but javascripts have serious issues :()

haku
08-01-2004, 01:05
this wallpaper is for you. :P
Ooh thanks, cool :cool: I like it wery wery much. :)

Kappa
08-01-2004, 04:16
QueenBee, then like 5 people from this forum are using it. :P Me too.

rosh, I'll buy Perl for Dummies as soon as I get my paycheck. :) Thanks for the advice! A Windows box (soon to be changed, PRAISE THE LORD).

Edit: change the computer as in change processor, mobo and hard drives, thought not the OS. Build a new one for myself, in a few words.

And I forgot to add that Mozilla has serious trouble interpreting .html files done in Frontpage (not that I use it, but it simply won't read straight any of the ones my friends do on Frontpage).

teeny
08-01-2004, 11:46
And I forgot to add that Mozilla has serious trouble interpreting .html files done in Frontpage (not that I use it, but it simply won't read straight any of the ones my friends do on Frontpage).
no wonder.. the html created is the worst. I use HTML-kit myself. Mostly because I can click the things needed to be insterted and therefor save some typing.. :lalala:

Kappa
09-01-2004, 06:38
TLFdk, *coughs* I type the html myself. :P

rosh
09-01-2004, 07:57
hehe html in notepad :P almost as geeky as coding html in vi woooo unix nerds unite =)

Kappa
09-01-2004, 08:13
rosh, *high five ;)*

rosh
09-01-2004, 08:21
hehe darje, LOVE the signature, doll ! ;)

Kappa
09-01-2004, 09:57
rosh, there must be someone around to thank for it. ;)

teeny
26-01-2004, 14:49
TLFdk, *coughs* I type the html myself. :P
Hey I can do that too.. html kit just finish the lines. Saves a slow typer like me a lot of time :p

Oh and to add to my previous post:
Browser: somewhere inbetween Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firebird. Having troubles with some javasites with Firebird, so I'll keep both installed for now :lalala:

QueenBee
26-01-2004, 15:45
hehe html in notepad
Hehe.. I do that :gigi: