PDA

View Full Version : East vs West: different ways of thinking

russkayatatu
19-12-2003, 03:47
Lately it seems people are talking more and more about 'culture differences', how things appear differently to people from different cultures - for example the completely different discussions and atmosphere on the Russian and English forums - I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on this. Recently I saw a book called "The Geography of Thought: How Asians and Westerners Think Differently . . . And Why" by a psychologist Richard Nisbett. Here is an article (http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0316/edhsu.php) describing his book, and here is a paraphrased summary including some things not mentioned in the article.

Basically what Nisbett is arguing in this book is that the assumption that everyone has the same 'cognitive processes' is false, that people in different cultures are not only taught different things or exposed to different parts of the world but actually think differently. The people of Western countries are more concerned generally with the individual, with classification, with logic, and with logical contradiction (if you're X you can't be Y); they find it easy to consider objects outside of their surroundings and assume that you can use the same procedures to reason about anything and that, once you know the rules that govern objects' behavior, you can tell what will happen to them. People in Asia, on the other hand, are much more inclined to consider relationships between objects and their environments (other objects, people), are much more relaxed when it comes to contradiction and in general believe that you need to understand the whole before you can understand the part, that pieces intrinsically make more sense when they're placed into specific contexts. In a study, for example, when subjects were asked to describe themselves, Americans would say things like, "I'm serious, I work hard, I like math," where Chinese would say, "I'm fun-loving with my friends, I'm serious at work" - in other words he suggests that context is much more important and individuality is much more fluid; one becomes a different person in different situations, where Westerners like to consider themselves the same in all contexts.

Another way this difference manifests itself is in the language: in English for example, you might ask "More tea?" while in Chinese the correct way to ask is "Drink more?" For English-speakers the drinking is obvious, so they ask about the object; in Chinese the object is obvious and the verb is more important. :flag: There are also some linguistic studies in which it seems that children in Western cultures learn nouns faster than verbs, while in Eastern cultures children learn verbs at the same rate as nouns and in some cases (depending on what is classified as a noun) even faster. The author points to different ways in which parents talk to their children - from a very early age, he says, Asian parents emphasize 'feeling' and the relationships between action and the surroundings - whereas an American parent might say, "that's a truck; see, it has four wheels and is red" a Japanese parent would be more inclined to say, "that's a truck, vroom-vroom, give it to me, now I give it to you, there." So from an early age you have the appearance and cultivation of different cognitive processes across cultures.

He also goes back to the ancient Greeks and the ancient Chinese, pointing to Aristotle's ideas about physics among other things: the stone falls to the ground because it has the quality of "gravity" whereas the stick floats on the water because it has the quality of "levity" - all his theories are about the object, in other words, without thinking of the environment acting on it. Whereas the Chinese had the ideal of "harmony," emphasizing everyone's place and role in the society. In another study Westerners, given a situation which they could choose to be alone or in a group, thought they they would be better off alone, and Asians thought it would be better to be in a group.

Ahhhh, I don't know about some of these; I remember my mom saying things like "the carrots are crying" when I wouldn't eat them :laugh: which is supposedly something common for Asians and not so common in the West, but overall I thought it was interesting and a lot of it was right ... And I know this article is about just the West and East Asia, but maybe there are different 'cognitive processes' in Russia and Eastern Europe as opposed to America and Western Europe as well? And if so, what are they?

I have a Russian friend, for example, who has lived 12 years in the US now and always claims that certain ideas of mine are "American" ;) For example, she complains that Americans are brought up to think that they're wonderful, everyone is wonderful and smart, and she would say, it's not true, not everyone has brilliant ideas to contribute. :heh: And she thinks in general that young people don't have enough respect for authority; students can read Lotman's essays on literature and think that they have something comparable and good to say, whereas she still regards such a famous critic as knowing much better than her. When I try to say that after all Lotman was a person like I am now and maybe I'll write a book of my own one day, who knows, but can't I think about literature for myself as well, she would say that's an "American" way of thinking :lol:

I do understand what she says, and perhaps this isn't a very good example - I can think of a lot more, but what does everyone else think? Is there a "universal" way of thinking, or do people really reason differently about the world?

la aurora
19-12-2003, 04:35
I can speak abou Russia vs West only...

well... I think there are differences actually. After spending so much time at the english part of the internet, listening to western music, seeing loads of western movies and so on... I find it quite difficult to speak my native language at times and I think I've got some kind of western thinking. But then morning comes and I have to deal with the real world around me and ... well... this world is russian.

I feel the difference... It's like 2 different worlds. Guess the reasons are in history, living conditions and many other facts... what seems so right and natural for US resident amazes russians and not always in a good way. [as they say: 'chto russkomu horosho, to nemtsu - smert'] That's why common thinking in Russia is that americans are stupid. I guess russian just can't imagine living in a healthy world and feeling protected. It's not envy or something... just problems that bother western ppl look pathetic to ones who has bigger ones. When U have to constantly fight to survive, U learn to laugh at everything: life, friends, enemies, urself. That's why reactions on 2 boards are so different. When most of U here believe in good and feel frustrated with bad, it's the opposite in Russia - we believe in bad and just feel really glad when everything works out ok. See the difference? TATU are russian... too russian may be. And I always had doubts they'll be doing well on the West. That's why the project cought my eye. I knew these 2 different worlds will just have to meet in this case. Well... they met. And failed to cooperate. Russians still follow unwritten laws while most of the civilized world follows written ones. Russians keep making jokes that western world doesn't find any funny or doesn't get those were jokes. Wstern world keeps saying: 'oh, those russian!', russians keep wondering 'could they be any more stupid?' Nobody's fault. It just happened so that we are different. Rach, I can agree with many things that guy wrote. He was comparing US&JAP mostly, and Russia is something between. But the distance between those two is so big that Russia's middle position doesn't mean 'compromise'. The opposite - it's the battle field. It's the place Asia and West meet and create such a terrible mixture that neither of these cultures can call a part of it.

oh, well... i could continue but it's almost 7 am and i feel i've lost the line even before starting to write the first sentence. So, I'll come back tomorrow with a fresh head and ideas that won't be so chaotic :gigi:

denial
19-12-2003, 04:53
I remember my mom saying things like "the carrots are crying" when I wouldn't eat them
ohh I got that all the time . every food will cry if I dont finish eating them.

that Americans are brought up to think that they're wonderful, everyone is wonderful and smart, and she would say,
that's what I noticed too. And I think its already spreading through Asia. I can see the advertisement and all on TV ..well everyone is beautiful .. *looks in the mirror* .. yeah ..right ..:rolleyes:

Is there a "universal" way of thinking, or do people really reason differently about the world?

I vote "people really reason differently about the world".

And she thinks in general that young people don't have enough respect for authority; students can read Lotman's essays on literature and think that they have something comparable and good to say, whereas she still regards such a famous critic as knowing much better than her.

well in Asia .. I guess we were thought to respect elder people more.. always the saying something like "they eat salt first.." ..can't really argue with them even if you're right.. but at same time try to understand what they mean because they live longer than you ..

Anyway .. from political point of view .. I think its dangerous for youngters to be allowed to express thier opinion .. they basicly loaded with energy and lack of experience.

.. but things are changing as we move towards globalization and culture mixed. I guess ..

Interesting ..

- The Rebel

russkayatatu
19-12-2003, 05:31
Awwwww, I did not mean to say that I am not respectful - although maybe :hmmm: ... I think I do respect people who know better than I do :ithink: - but my friend has respect for fame and I don't so much. If they're famous and have been around a long time, then they must be good ... I'd rather test for myself :dknow: ... huh, maybe that makes me an American after all, but I can think of several Europeans who are similarly "self-taught"; I don't think it's necessarily only Americans. Usually books and reputations have withstood time for a reason, but not always ... there is a lot of mediocrity too, and some of it is also long-lasting :bum:

I'm not sure that I'm making any sense either; I meant to say also that I agree ... I did think that the author made good points, although I don't know much about the Japanese and Chinese he was mostly talking about and have lived my whole life in America :hmmm:

Another difference that this psychologist talked about was the fact that in the United States ... if, say, you don't do very well in math, you're just "not good at it" or maybe even learning disabled :eek: whereas in Asia it's assumed you just need to work harder. I think this is true: in America everything is more 'professional'; it's assumed that things are the same and true for you no matter who you are - "the customer is always right." Anyone can do whatever he wants, he's got the right to. It's a kind of depersonalized way of looking at things, at education too: I had a Russian teacher who took a personal interest in her students - I mean that she cared about how they read, what they did outside class, if they were a senior or a freshman - which seemed strange and inappropriate to some people ... and she couldn't understand at all why another Russian teacher in the dept (who was Russian but identified more with American styles, I think; everyone thought he was wonderful ;) ) asked for essays on a short story and said that "he didn't care what they wrote," he just graded the grammar. He was teaching a language class, so it didn't seem too foreign to me, but she said, "how can he not care what students write?! What if they write that the pawnbroker in "Krotkaya" is a complete pervert and Dostoevsky is writing a story about perversion?"

I am going to come back; I think I'm not explaining anything and giving the wrong impressions :dead:

nath
19-12-2003, 06:57
Great Thread Russkayatatu!!....
Of course they are...I'll think about it before giving a larger answer...i have the sensations but , not still , the words...
First, could explain to me clearer the definitions of "West" and "East", please....because ,really, I don't know..

I mean, in France, Do we belong to "West" or "East"?...here , we spoke about the "East Countries": Russia, Bulgaria and so on..
But if we belong to the "West" part, i think we are very , very different from Americans in the way of thinking, for exemple.

My english is bad so when i don't know the exact names i speak with "images", associations of ideas...i'm understood immediatly by East people but not by Americans.

So, just a first remark...This forum is in english langage but the main think that surprised me is the quality of the posts...'m not clear...Here , people are arguing very CALMY and with a lot of Respect (No! I don't joke!..haha! ;) ) in comparaison with other french forums about Tatu !

Real: French people are always contasting, they are fighting easely....they have a very, very strong critical sense...and absolutely NO Discipline!...
They have a very strong feeling of FREEDOM...Freedom of speach..so if they decide to speak, it's very difficult to stop them, to impose limits, borders to them...
French have a "revolutionnary state of mind"...they always want MORE: more freedom, more avantages...
French people is very difficult to be driven by a Governement.

French are enough wild, being wary but when they know and they give their confidence,their trust, it is TRUE and for a long time...
I have the impression that the Americans are more open, more pleasant, nicer but that they forget you also more quickly as if the relation were less deep...for them.

What do you think about my vision of French Haku?

LenochkaO
19-12-2003, 07:12
Can't write any long essays (absolutely crap at essay-writing - or do I just need to work harder? :)), but I'd say there's no such thing as a universal way of thinking. That's based on a total of 6 years living in Japan - the majority of my adult life (eek! hadn't thought of it in those terms before). One's thinking is inevitably informed by the culture and education system in which one is raised, and we all know that those differ from country to country. Hell, ways of thinking vary from region to region within a country, as well as from person to person. But I've lost count of the number of times that I've said "God, that's so Japanese!" :)

teeny
19-12-2003, 14:45
ohh I got that all the time . every food will cry if I dont finish eating them.
Really? :spy: I always leave a bite or two at the plate. Don't know why. So either there would be no comments and my dad would eat the leftovers OR (normally if he didn't like the food that much or ate to much) my dad would say: "think of all the children in Africa, who don't have any food"
I would normally reply: "let them have it then" or my mom would cut in and say: "Don't force her - I always had to finish and sometimes it's impossible to do so".
Another comment I heard a few times would be: "what did the last two bites ever do to you?" :rolleyes:

I'll think of examples if I know any..

LenochkaO
19-12-2003, 16:10
Originally posted by TLFdk
my dad would say: "think of all the children in Africa, who don't have any food"

When I was a wee lass, it was "think of the starving children in Cambodia".

teeny
20-12-2003, 21:45
When I was a wee lass, it was "think of the starving children in Cambodia".
I believe my dad just passed on the line he was told as a child. I'm sure he adds a story to the sentance too.. I would just stop to listen at this point :lalala:

goku
21-12-2003, 02:34
I guess I agree mostly with you sunny poison, for this time...

I do think that thinking is regional. You can be thinking "Russian thoughts" and move to the West and have your thinking completely change "styles", if you are enveloped and stay long enough. But people are people. It's hard to find a difference in the thoughts of people between Russia and Germany. Certain aspects of language, maybe. But the human behaviour is all the same.

nasnedagoniat
31-12-2003, 07:04
This thread is very interesting. I always think about stuff like this. Like when Tatu came to America and someone Russian noted an assistant as being American 'cause she was louder than everyone else. (or something like that)

I don't remember seeing everyone as beautiful. I remember being taught that wealthy people are beautiful though. Companies like Abercrombie & Fitch thrive in America. They sell t-shirts for $30 and people buy them to look better. And no, Abercrombie is not like a Versace or Armani, it's a normal store. Everywhere I look, people walk around with "A&F" somewhere on them. I don't think this would work in any other country unless this marketing tactic is somehow universal. (But, I'm so off topic)

When I see a brown dog running through the grass I think "look! a dog that's brown." When I see a white cup of tea on a table I think, "oh, a cup of tea and it's white." Do others really think much differently?

rANdoMtATuFaN
01-01-2004, 00:53
Having spent the first 8 years of my life in India and the last 9 in the U.S., I guess, I have a different way of looking at this subject. OK - so, I've been raised in the U.S. in an Asian family so I constantly see these differences. I mean, I spend most of my time w/my friends (esp. since I live in a dorm) and when I come home or talk to my family, it's like a completely different way of thinking. If u go to India, everything's sooo relaxed where as over here, it's a super fast-paced world. But then, in India, everyone's working towards the future, while here, the present is more important. I don't know how many times I've thought "that's so Indian" when dealing w/things. Like, I've noticed that in Asia, not just India, kids are trying to please their parents more than anything and respecting elders is such a big deal. Over here, u think about yourself first, then u're parents. There's so many other things and they're all hard to explain. So, like, my way of thinking is something totally different where I totally appear western in my thinking but the basis is still eastern and a lot of things in my thinking contradict themselves - ppl have a hard time understanding me. Anyway, u can't combine the two cultures to co-exist naturally - to combine the two is like a puzzle put together when all the pieces don't match. OK, I'll shut up.

Seriously, though, my mind is like that puzzle that i just mentioned - that is why i'm so intrigued by Russia 'coz it seems to be like my mind. Anyway, I confuse myself a lot of times. :dknow:

raven ryuu
02-01-2004, 09:35
...a Japanese parent would be more inclined to say, "that's a truck, vroom-vroom, give it to me, now I give it to you, there."

I can totally relate to that. :D I find myself saying this to my little 3 year old cousin (who is at my house everyday). I would play with him, and I emphasize more on the car and truck sounds, like 'bbbroom bbbrroom' or 'beep beep' :p It's funny, but it just comes naturally.

But, I understand also, the American way of thinking, and I think that takes over in majority of my daily activities. It's kind of crazy growing up in an American and Asian/Island culture. I think the 2 generations before me, plus the future generations will lean more towards the American culture though :grustno: Many people my age are not bilingual -- something my parents and grandparents are. :( It's sad...

Also...the Asian and Pacific Island cultures (which I am a part of) emphasize heavily on the extended family. It is very common for 3 generations of families to live all under one same roof/house. As opposed to the American family, mostly a nuclear unit (just parents and kids). I think that many families of my culture do not encourage their kids to move out as soon as they hit 18 years old. Many kids still live at home into their 30's...because it is assumed that they will stay to take care of their aging parents, and take over the household responsibilities.

It is not uncommon for people of my culture to know their 3rd cousins by name...because we see family all the time. I think many Americans don't get to know their extended family unless they have family reunions or something ;)

I have to agree with denial -- I think the Asian cultures emphasize respect of their elders. In my culture, it is somewhat shameful for kids to put their parents in a nursing home...it is perceived as them not caring for the people who gave birth to them, clothed them, raised them...
But, at the same time, I understand that the American thing to do would be to put elderly parents in an environment where they could be well-taken care of, like a nursing home.

It's amazing how I can live in both worlds :)