PDA

View Full Version : Power Outtage!

jockdstylez
14-08-2003, 23:20
A power outage struck several cities in the eastern United States and Canada this afternoon, wreaking havoc at intersections as traffic lights went out and trapping thousands of people in New York City's stalled subways.

The Department of Homeland Security said there was no indication that terrorism was involved but said authorities were investigating the massive power outage. A senior White House administration official also said there was no evidence that the outage was terror-related.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said there were no indications of terrorism. He said the outage was a "natural occurrence" that may be connected to a power grid malfunction near Niagara Falls.

Bloomberg said he had heard from authorities that the outage started in Canada and cascaded down to New York and as far west as Ohio.Officials said they were working to determine the extent and cause of the outage. Bloomberg urged New Yorkers not to panic.

Lights Out

At about 3:45 p.m. ET, people in New York City, Cleveland and Toledo, Ohio, Albany, N.Y., Detroit and Lansing, Mich., and parts of New Jersey and Connecticut reported power outages. In Canada, Toronto and Ontario also suffered outages. Most cell phone service was also affected.

An operator for Verizon phone service in New York City said calls were flooding in to directory information.

"Everybody's looking for every electric company you can possibly think of," the operator said.

No outages were reported in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Boston or Chicago. There were no power outages reported in the West Coast. Power company officials said there was no irregular activity in their power grid.

Traffic on Foot, Planes Grounded

Federal Aviation Administration officials grounded airplanes in all three New York-area airports — La Guardia, John F. Kennedy and Newark International airports — and in airports in Cleveland and Ottawa.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said there was no train or subway service in New York City. Traffic lights went out, and passers-by were directing traffic in midtown Manhattan. Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North commuter trains lost power, stranding thousands of rush- hour commuters.

During rush hour at Columbus Circle, one of Manhattan's most-famous intersections, traffic moved slowly and cautiously. Police officers directed traffic as best they could, but by and large, with subway lines also not running, the traffic was on foot.

Hot, Humid Day

In Cleveland, at least one hospita said it was not severely affected by the power outages in the city.

"We are operating on backup generators right now … so everything … is OK for the moment," said Joyce Persaud, a spokeswoman for the Huron Hospital.

The outage hit New York City shortly before the major stock exchanges were due to close for the day. The New York Federal Reserve Bank said it could not confirm that every commercial bank in its district was operating.

Officials said they assumed most of those banks have backup power sources, and that the federal wire money transfer system is operating normally. The New York Mercantile Exchange said it closed access to its overnight electronic trading system until further notice.

The power went out on a hot, humid day when many residents had been blasting their air conditioning. In New York's Central Park, it was a sultry 88 degrees when the power went out. It was 87 degrees in Detroit and Cleveland at 4:30 p.m. ET, and 81 degrees in Toronto.

source: abcnews.com

-------------------------
oy..they say no one knows how it originated, and is believed to be a terrorist act. oy.. i hope everything works out safely.. and i hope my family and friends are otay..

pic will be up..Areas believed to be affected by the power outage. (http://home.villagephotos.com/2003-5/6621/tatu2/power_030814_map.gif)

QueenBee
14-08-2003, 23:57
Yeah I just saw that on the news. They talked to a lady on the phone (cellphone) who was in New York at that time (an hour ago or so?). She said people don't think it is an act of terrorism.. :dknow: Well I hope it will be fixed soon. They said the power is getting fixed from north to south.. :dknow:

jockdstylez
15-08-2003, 00:01
da..i should edit that..but when i was writing it the buffoon for a reporter said it could be an act of terrorism.. atleast it's more of an inconvinience rather than a real threat..whew..thanks god.. :)

QueenBee
15-08-2003, 00:17
jockdstylez, yes I agree on that :done: No need to edit though, it COULD be a terrorist act afterall *sighs and hopes it's not* :done: When I first heard I was kind of worrying, especially about NY since it's so big so basically I thought "Big area with huge amount of people + no electricity = many deaths" but what do I know? Hehe.

I guess it would have been way worse if it was dark over there right now.. thank god it happened during the day.

Lux
15-08-2003, 00:49
i just saw the news and apparently its reached as far as cleveland...which is only 2 hrs from here. *gets nervous*
but..still here, thank goodness.

QueenBee
15-08-2003, 01:13
Oy, Lux, I'm praying for you. ;)
Did they mention when the power might be back?

elwolf_x
15-08-2003, 01:25
yeah, cleveland is also 2 hrs from where i am, and the local news said areas closer were losing power too. a guy called into the station to say depending on what the problem is it could be 12 hrs-4/5 days before it's fixed. that's gotta suck for all the people with no electricity and air conditioning when it's like 90 degrees out. i hope everything will be ok! :done:

QueenBee
15-08-2003, 01:27
i hope everything will be ok!
Me too! I know some forum members are from NYC.. ;) Poor guys.. *hugs them all*

thegurgi
15-08-2003, 01:28
woo! i just got power back.

it's crazy though... i've never been in such a widespread power outage.
But, some of us ARE getting power back

QueenBee
15-08-2003, 02:05
thegurgi, yay! *claps hands* If you're happy and you know it clap your hands! *clap clap*

elwolf_x
15-08-2003, 02:16
thegurgi, you don't have to answer if you don't want, but seeing as how i probably live near you, are you in the altoona or erie area of pa? i'm also a pa small town-er lol. this is really offtopic huh... umm...

power outages are bad, i'm glad i didnt get a power outage...:none:
:p

thegurgi
15-08-2003, 02:23
I live in Crawford County, which is the county south of Erie County.
From what i know, most of Crawford lost power [scattered places had power]. All of Erie i believe, I know Oil City lost power too.

I'm perfectly fine detailing exactly where i live... hehe.

Lux
15-08-2003, 02:29
LOL. yay gurgi! thx queeny, still here.

but..my college town has lost all of its power!! LOL. the poor bastards who are still on campus...a hint, it's in Michigan. mwahahaha

thegurgi
15-08-2003, 02:34
Lux, i to am concerned about my Campus, i wonder if they have power back too... hrmm. I have no news about places in my area. It's kind of frustrating.

Oh! and thanks for your support QB! It was an interesting 5 hours. It was kind of freaky too, cause since EVERYWHERE had no power it was hard to get information. All the local radio stations were down too, so it was no use turning those on. It was just weird i guess, but we're all fine now [all my family is accounted for (except my oldest brother, but he's in Iraq)]

Everything fine here, my county has power back.

elwolf_x
15-08-2003, 03:20
thegurgi, cool lol, so not too far from me i guess. i'm glad you got your power back!

Lux, you wouldnt happen to be in the college town of ann arbor would you? actually i dont know if that's considered a college town or not, but i used to live about 30 minutes from there and get piano lessons at the u of m music school every week. anyways, i hope you get the powerback soon!

Lux
15-08-2003, 03:32
elfwolf - ya caught me!! *Meep* hehehe my entire college town is down...wonder what a bunch of alcohol crazed college kids do when there's no power...

the music school is so pretty, very cool you've been there:done:

elwolf_x
15-08-2003, 03:54
the music school is so pretty
Lux, yeah it is! aww reminiscing now...it was a long time ago and i was pretty young, but i remember i loved the pond behind the school with the ducks and stuff right? haha i always wanted to picnic. anyways this is going so far offtopic...but very cool nonetheless.

-----------------------------------------

Nuclear power plants in four states shut down.
uh oh...that sounds a bit dangerous, let's all hope there's no opportunistic terrorists lurking around out there. the pictures of the massive crowds trying to get off manhattan island had me worrying also.

The blackouts set off finger pointing on both sides of the border.
let's hope this doesnt cause anymore problems between us/canada.

...from yahoo! news (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20030815/ap_on_re_us/blackout)

PowerPuff Grrl
15-08-2003, 06:03
Originally posted by jockdstylez
In Canada, Toronto and Ontario also suffered outages.

Hehe, Toronto is the capital of Ontario, thus in Ontario...Ontario is a province.
The only two cities affected in Canada are Ottawa and Toronto. We were the first ones to get it here in Ottawa. The power just came up a couple of hours ago but the problem is far from over.

Other than that, what can I say?
The experience was surreal.

Thank you for your concern, much appreciated.

jockdstylez
15-08-2003, 06:18
Glad to hear your in one piece PPG! and everyone else too! Good thing this whole thing happened during the day, rather than night.. :yes:

Kappa
15-08-2003, 06:59
People, all wish some luck for Tranz who lives in the center of NYC! :(

elwolf_x
15-08-2003, 11:33
The power just came up a couple of hours ago but the problem is far from over.
good thing to hear power's back up in ottawa PowerPuff Grrl, i have family over there. i have a pretty good idea what you mean by other problems, but what do you mean exactly?

power is slowly coming back in new york (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030815/ap_on_re_us/blackout_new_york&cid=519&ncid=716) - sounding better, maybe tranz already has power back, yay!

raven ryuu
15-08-2003, 12:53
I definitely know what power outages feel like over here on Guam. We get them when typhoons blow our lines down...or when something in the power grid trips...or even when a brown tree snake crawls on one of the power lines and fries itself to death -- can you believe that it's enough to put the entire island into total blackout? Yup :yes:
And living on a hot tropical island -- air condition is very important. So I also know what it feels like to sweat out a hot afternoon with no power :bum:
I'm really concerned about the peeps in New York / and major city areas -- cause if they live in high rises, and they don't have backup power (via generator) -- then that sucks -- they might be trapped...or something :dead:
But I think the latest news reported that things are getting better now. I hope it will all be resolved soon.

denial
15-08-2003, 14:03
MEMORIES OF ’77
Especially in New York, where police were nervously gearing up for nightfall, the sudden loss of power revived memories of the ruinous blackout of 1977.
On July 10 that year, power officials guaranteed Congress that another power failure like the 1965 blackout would never occur again. Three days later, the lights went off a little before 9:30 p.m. and stayed off all night — 13 hours in all.
More than 3,700 people were arrested in looting across several neighborhoods. More than 1,000 fires were set, and estimates of the damage ranged from $61 million to more than $300 million.

Source: http://www.msnbc.com/news/952578.asp

PowerPuff Grrl
15-08-2003, 15:39
Originally posted by elwolf_x
i have a pretty good idea what you mean by other problems, but what do you mean exactly?

Only 50% of power came back in Ottawa; so traffics lights elevators, etc are not working. As well, thousands of businesses are closed down and there are still neighbourhoods that have no electricity.

Finger pointing has already begun; the problem occured in the Niagra Falls region but people don't know whether it was on the side US's side or Canada's side. So now the States is blaming us and we're blaming them.

And we used to be such good friends.

0newinged
15-08-2003, 17:51
Finally!!! 21 hours and it's back! For now at least untill they roll the grid again :S The other half of the city has power since 7 PM but ah well that's how it is :p BTW I'm gonna leave the FTP server off for now... hope everyone who's out comes back soon!

C ya!

ypsidan04
15-08-2003, 22:09
Yeah, I was part of it as well. Because of the power loss, and other circumstances, this is the first time I've been here for 26 hours :rolleyes: Im glad things are back to normal.

Lux
16-08-2003, 05:35
LOL. i just found this out..so the power went out in A2, and apparently the U of M has its own power supply. it can be its own little community, if need be....and everyone hung out on campus. that's so tight.:coctail:

denial
16-08-2003, 07:09
> Just flipped on CNN, watching the masses snake through the streets of
> Manhattan as correspondents state that this could be an affect of the
> blaster worm.
>
> Interesting but I don't see how an worm of this magnitude (smaller than that
> of Slammer/Sapphire and others) could influence DCS and SCADA systems around
> the US, particularly just in the North East.

The german publishing house "heise", producing the magazines c't and ix,
got a news on their page mentioning a probable link between the worm and
the power outage.

Source:http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/ju-15.08.03-001/ (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/ju-15.08.03-001/)

The article is in german, but I'm trying to translate the important pieces
to english:

The failing niagara power-plant belongs to National Grid USA. That
power-supplier is listed as a reference customer of Northern Dynamics.
Norhtern Dynamics labeled themselves as "Home of the OPC Experts" and
offer a range of products that use OPC for control and operation systems.

OPC stands for "Ole for process control" and is based on microsofts
COM/DCOM model. In a network affected by the W32.Blaster worm the
DCOM-communcation fails, and therefor OPC fails on unpatched systems.

OPC is employed among other things for the linking of so called SCADA
systems (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition), as used by
power-plants.

The OPC experts from northern dynamics also list General Electrics,
Siemens AG, european power-plant constructor ABB and the european
organization for nuclear research as reference customers.

Best regards,

Dominic