PDA

View Full Version : Things that made U being proud of urself

la aurora
07-08-2003, 00:52
Sometimes we do something and it makes us being damn proud of urself. It can be something really important. But there are small things that fill ur heart with pride and joy. Can U remember any?
Trying to remember...

- reading my first HUGE book at the age of 4 (it wasn't 'war and peace' by Tolstoy of course but had more then 300 pages and being 4 years old I was really proud when the last page of it was done)
- writing my first poem at 5 (I still remember it by heart and now see quite clearly that it had neither sense nor rythm but I felt really exited at that time, I remember that feeling)
- learning to ride a two-wheeled bike (I crushed into hen-coop but it was better then my cousin's accident with a sand-pit. at least I was hurt less) and much later a car (guess, my dad will never forget that awul ride he had with me. At least some of grey hair on his head are def on my consciense. I could never learn where accelerator was)
- some stupid things like jumping from the roof or to the lake fully clothed just to prove anyone I could do it... drinking some dreadful alcohol mixtures with a calm face (for similar reasons)
- entering one of the most prestigious faculties of the best Russian uni without any preparing (when few ppl believed I would even after 1-2 years of studying hard)
- learning 500 spanish words in 1 day (although after some weeks I forgot almost all except such 'useful' words as zapato or zanahoria)
- last time I wanted to jump from pride when I was able to make an ok site 6 hours after I knew what HTML was.
Sure there were many cases when I knew something that nobody did, or my drawing in the art school had a perfect composition in my teacher's eyes, or I was getting the highest mark at my history lesson telling about the war I didn't know who won, or when ppl were saying my novels and poems were good... stupid, i know. but these small things were filling me with pride for myself. Yeah, small things... but U know, when something really serous happens, when U save somebody's life or so... exitement, pride are the last things U feel at that moments. It's not what I was telling about in this thread.

So, what about U?

Rachel
07-08-2003, 01:04
My most proud moment EVER was telling my parents I'm gay - it took A LOT of courage.

jockdstylez
07-08-2003, 01:09
hmm..deciding to want to be better.. eh do i have to ellaborate?

upon request i guess i'll have to..lol

Long story short, I ended up in the ICU for alcohol poisoning and a hemorrhage. I mixed E (ecstasy) and shots and shots of Tequila and whatever alcohol I could get my hands on. (all the ravers out there know the mixture of alcohol and E are a big no no. I would've gotten shrooms too, if I didn't spend all my money on E) So anyhow, they said I passed out and was convulsing. What lead to all this? A chain of events, a 4 year breakup, loss of friends, ultimatums from my family, finincial problems, and school difficulties. It felt like the world was caving in. This partying had been going on for quite some time, so this night wasn't just one reckless night. If it wasn't that night, it would have been another, it was inevitable.

I don't remember much of what happened, but the doctors said my hemorrhage was quite severe and was lucky someone was sober enough to call the 911 as quickly as they did. I remember waking up, and I had this stabbing pain in my head. I mean it wasn't throbbing or a simple migrane, it was as if someone was taking a finely sharpened knife and slitting every inch of my brain over and over. (When the cop came in, he was standing a few feet away from me, I remember staring at his gun intently, hoping he would just move a little bit closer, so I could reach it and shoot myself.) I had alot of time to reflect and contemplate my future. I thought about how I was, wandering through the days in fog of self contempt and loathing with no regard for my well being, unable to distinguish where one day started and one ended, allowing the emptyness to completely consume me, it was perpetual darkness. And I hid it so well, but the more I tried to hide it the quicker it spread.. I asked myself, numerous times, Do i want to be better??.. One would assume it was an easy decision, but from my perspective, if I stayed the way I was, I wouldn't be prone to pain, because I'm already drowning in it.. I wouldn't be in the rollercoaster of emotions called life, I would be in one state that I could depend on, even if it tore me apart inside.. But in the end, I wanted to be better or atleast try with every inch of my soul to make myself better..

I suppose I could've said graduating with a 4.0 or getting a scholarship would be my proudest moments.. but it would be a lie, that would be my parent's proudest moments, not mine. As trivial as my decision was, I'm proud that I wanted to be better for myself. Or else, who knows if I'd still be alive now..

woo thats horribly long..lol

Unplugged
07-08-2003, 01:16
Struggling to beat a deep depression I was in for about 5 years. I'm proud of the moment where I myself decided I was my own salvation - not pills, not drugs, not any other people: just me and my inner strength. I'm definately proud of the way I managed that, which made me a better, stronger and more corageous person that I could ever imagine I could be :)

QueenBee
07-08-2003, 02:16
Oyyyy, that is a very hard question to answer (and if I do answer right now I'll just be selfish) so I'll come back later.. *walks out of thread*

kishkash
07-08-2003, 02:24
This is a pretty interesting topic. It really makes u think about ur life, and what u have done / haven't done.

I can't really say..'cause so many little insignificant (to other people) things happen that make me proud of being myself happen that i would bore people.

So i guess i'll just say something like...
When i help other people (any little thing or even something big) and it brings a smile to their face. I love seeing people genuinely happy...genuine smiles are the best kind.

[/foolish talk]

Pop!
07-08-2003, 08:55
my most proud moment would be today. lol
I was chosen to design the presentation of my school's CD to raise money for our hall. And even though i was second choice (the first lot of people couldn't do it coz they were busy), i still feel good. :p
I get to 'work' with a bunch of graphic designers at a recording studio and my sister is featured on the actual CD.
:done:

But I have to design it under a theme, ('synaesthesia'). I would have prefered to pick it myself i suppose the rest of the school has to have input aswell. lol, In case you didn't know, the theme they chose, 'synaesthesia' is a condition (which i coincidently have) where you see/hear/taste/feel words and sounds. :eek: :D

Echoed
07-08-2003, 19:27
One of the few things I'm proud of...

A year and a half ago, I arranged a five-vocal a capella piece, mixing about 9 songs (originally 11 songs) together. Wrote all 16 pages of it by hand. Yay. ^_^

We sang it, and I'm so proud of my friends for having done such amazing jobs. (I still hate microphones though.)

It's small, but I'm proud of it.

~Echo.

Uhaku
07-08-2003, 22:51
This is very interesting thread. I had to think hard for being such a person who would easily give up on anything .. everything. Here it is...

My 1st dive experience: Me and my friends went to take scuba diving lesson together. And when we got to our first dive, I was the only one who had trouble equalizing my ears. No matter how hard I tried, I could go down to only 5 meters and then I had to resurface because my ears hurt so much I thought my brain would explode. After a few attempts, I was exhausted already. And my instructor decided that I should wait there, floating in the middle of the sea and waited for them to have their first dives (which would be about 40 minutes). After they all had gone down there, I felt so terrible. I felt very, very, very stupid. I had to do something. I decided I wouldn't be left out. I wouldn't leave that island empty-handed, or without the license. So I decided to dive down. It didn't matter if I went down there and everybody was gone already. It didn't matter if I'd lose my hearing afterwards, I'd do it anyway. LOL. I know that sounded stupid, but that was exactly what I thought at the moment. And, yeah, I learned to equalize my ears and had my first diving experience.

So what I was proud of myself? Not that i learned how to equlize my ears. Lol (yeah, that, too). It was that I did not give up on something like I usually do. Small thing, yes. But it was one of a few times I didn't give in to the obstacles that came my way.

oasischuan
07-08-2003, 23:28
Getting a 2:1 degree after four diffcult and miserable years.

freddie
07-08-2003, 23:53
*being a "rebel with a cause" when I was still in school
*my poetry being published in the paper for university students of Maribor
*one of my schoolmates from secondary school (who I saw after 5 years) knowing some of my poems from that era by heart and reciting them, saying that they helped him when he was heartbroken. I think that was my proudest moment ever.
*convincing one person not to attempt suicide.
*passing the "Roman Law" law exam in first attempt (the hardest subject ever... entire law theory is concentrated around this. People usualy give up on law just because of this one.)

Kappa
08-08-2003, 01:27
* The first National Championship I won.
* The first time I TKOed someone. :P
* My Junior High graduation.
* When I first came out as a lesbian (to my dad, thought, my mom discovered it on her own).
* When I first realized I was a boi and didn't freak out. LOL

Ningyo
08-08-2003, 03:37
+ Continue living, despite all those times I felt tempted to end it all.
+ Being myself, no matter what.
+ Getting my degree.
+ Having sustained a scholarship for six years.
+ Helping my ex to quit drugs.
+ Being a woman... LOL!

parrish122
08-08-2003, 13:49
1) The time I saved a friend from drowning (even though she nearly drowned *me* in the process. :) )
2) The time I found out (quite by accident) that someone I didn't even know decided not to kill herself after she read a story of mine that was published in the school literary magazine.
3)The time my high school band won first place in all categories in a national contest...partly because I didn't panic during the sightreading part that I had a solo in. :)
4)When I came out to my parents. (very big one there!)
5)When I finally broke through my writer's block. :D

Parrish

Tom Violence
08-08-2003, 23:32
These are the showreel anecdotes, the ocassions where it takes little explanation to understand why I would be pleased with myself. I usually find myself proud at the most inexplicable little things. Anway.

> When I was 8 years old, my teacher insisted I had the most refined, mature writing style she'd ever known in somebody my age. She was insistent I should try and have my work published. I should have listened, I think. I feel like I've thrown a chance to be recognised as 'remarkable', petty ego-boost that it would be.

> At ten years old, I broke my primary school high jump record. This might not sound like much; it was only a small village school after all. However, I was far from an athletic child. I put in so many hours just to compete with peers who were bigger and stronger than me. The ultimate reward was way, way beyond my expectations. And it was something my parents actually cared about, which is pretty rare.

> Last year I managed the highest average score for my English essays across the whole of my undergraduate year. I was rather pleased. Apparently my average score of 76 per essay is one of the highest ever recorded. I'm not even sure if I like writing, but it's nice to know I have a talent somewhere.

thegurgi
09-08-2003, 05:12
i'm proud of myself,

hrrmm, how about....

I can still walk without help despite 30 leg and hip surgeries.
And also that i graduated on time... most people who undergo the procedures i have don't even leave the hospital... they don't even have to think about school.

I'm proud that even made that decision to go to school...cause those Ilizorov's HURT [you can look them up, i'm not sure if it's Illizorov or Ilizorov, it's Russian so it's probably the one L version, if you want].

Oh yeah, and that i taught myself how to sing all my favorite Russian songs :done:

nath
09-08-2003, 06:19
I'm proud of nothing...excepted to be a good friend...et encore je n'y arrive pas toujours...

karxwp
09-08-2003, 07:04
things about being proud?

mmm lemme think...

*my good grades in all my academic life :P
*the basketball championships I won.
*suing my father (long story)
*being able of getting out of my home with my mom
*the graphic things I do
*My 5 year running Xena website
*being able to cheer up my friends when they need it
*stealing a tatu poster from a store today :P

those are good things I think...

But what I'm pretty proud abou are:
*my sarcasm :P
*my cynic objective self

volkotina
09-08-2003, 20:10
The most proud of myself I have ever been is when I allowed myself to love and be loved. I have always been one to hide my feelings and run from any kind of real baring of emotions for fear of getting hurt. Then, four months and two days ago, I met someone who made me want to reveal and share all, who allowed me to feel comfortable in being me, and who allowed me to love her with all of my being. I have never been more proud of being who I am than I do with her in my life. Thank you my malinky. I love you!

Bitty2002
10-08-2003, 03:41
volkotina, awwww!!! Meee toooo! Gosh I have never been so proud. It makes me proud to call someone so special mine. I feel so blessed. I feel proud that I opened my heart as well and allowed myself to love and be loved. Thank you my Caterfly! I love you!

warx
10-08-2003, 14:15
hmmm...let see...

*hvng jen for 5 yrs
*passing board xsam(eng'g)
*my job...bout cellfones...im knda gud @ it....(both software and hardware)