PDA

View Full Version : Does homosexuality on TV feed hate to homophobes?

rylettia
01-08-2003, 23:08
I was watching part of a program on MSNBC about how homosexuality was becoming more "out" on television. It showed clips of some reality TV shows, commercials, etc. Near the end, it showed how lately the anti-homosexuality statistics had increased. +8% found gay marriages unacceptable, +6% found homosexuality unacceptable. Can and TV bring about such a negative change with shows and advertisements that were meant to make money and network ratings only? :mad:

Does anyone else find the fact that a show named "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" even exists? Argh. Maybe it's done in good fun, but still if there was a show called "Black Rapper for the Eminem-wannabe" there would be soooo many pissed people, including myself. No offense in my example, just trying to prove a point with the same extreme...Man, TV has become such a cesspool for publicizing BAD stereotypes :bum:

PowerPuff Grrl
01-08-2003, 23:25
Interesting assessment there rylettia.
I don't think television is responsible for the growing number of homophobics. Actually I don't think there is any increase in anything, really. Television is just making the public more aware of homosexuality and with more awareness you'll get more feedback. I don't thinking any convincing is taking place. Homophobes are just voicing out their views.

More exposure, more reaction.

shizzo
02-08-2003, 05:30
I happen to think that QEftSG is hilarious, myself. :p

But to add to the topic at hand - I agree with what was just mentioned. More input yields more output. And the percentages acquired for statistics usually don't fairly represent general opinion when the circumstances of the surveying are considered, in several respects. Who is asked, where the surveying's done, the time of day, and so forth can all contribute to alterations in the overall results. I'd think that, for the most part, exposure to homosexuality is producing more of a tolerance than negativity.

Ripptyd
02-08-2003, 06:14
There are plenty of ethnic shows. And they tend to live up to stereotypes given, not JUST to one group, but to everyone all in good fun.

Why not a show like Queer Eye For The Straight Guy? It does the same as any other show like that. It good naturedly pokes fun at the straight guy AND the gay guy. I quite like it, myself.

karxwp
02-08-2003, 09:35
A new breed the metrosexual? : funny to read

http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/71/81366.htm

rylettia
02-08-2003, 10:33
I'm not sure if they were trying to correlate the statistics to television, but it doesn't really make sense other wise...however, the accuracy is questionable. I guess I did get the wrong end of the stick earlier. Sorry about the anger ;)

ell
03-08-2003, 03:33
Are you sure about those anti-homosexuality sastistics. I've read reports that statistics were getting better...at least in massachusetts where the supreme court is deciding weather to leagilize gay marrige. I know for sure that each generation is less homophobic in that the precentage off those that support gay marrige goes way up when the under 29 crowd is polled. I've always thought that tv exposure is a good thing because viewers are exposed to people not much diffrent then themselves who are gay.

luxxi
03-08-2003, 08:47
I think it has to do with 11.9. and US population falling back on "family values" and such and this leads to rejection of homesexuality.

Charles
05-08-2003, 02:31
Like most things on TV, I think it will desensitise most people. The catch is that those people who really hate will likely hate even more.