PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine

forre
30-07-2003, 02:07
Imagine that you are back to year 1900.

What would you do?

Dent
30-07-2003, 03:02
Nothing, ehheh, because if we touch anything on past we can affect future forever and the consequences could be unimaginable. The past must remain intact, what we must do, is live the present, for us to have a better future.

Cya

Dent :cool:

forre
30-07-2003, 03:04
Dent, Yep. Theoretically it will be so, but what if ...?

Dent
30-07-2003, 03:09
Well i always thought that but then i started to measure what would i do. For example, i always wanted to come back to past and kill hitler so i could avoid nazism ehehhe. Or even correct some of my countryґs mistakes and make of it a superpower eheheh. But i always measured what i could do if i did that. So i prefer to make time intact instead eheheh.

Cya

Dent 8)

russkayatatu
30-07-2003, 03:15
Well, hmm. Dent, I think I would do SOMETHING ;) Especially if I couldn't figure out a way to get back to the "present - future." :gigi:

Probably the same things I would do now...music, writing, theatre were all well developed then; always room for creative ideas. Maybe sing opera; I'll bet it was even better in 1900 :cool:

And not spend time on the not-yet-invented internet...which would probably be a good thing :bum:

Dent
30-07-2003, 03:18
that would be boring, no pcs, no internet, no videogames. Heehhehe. But i would like to be an observer. I would see how inventors cretaed their things, and learn it so i could develop it ehehe

Cya

skye
30-07-2003, 03:57
Um.....I think I would be a violinist :yes:

Kappa
30-07-2003, 04:20
Well i always thought that but then i started to measure what would i do. For example, i always wanted to come back to past and kill hitler so i could avoid nazism ehehhe.

I better not tell you how many before you and in their right time tried to do so. :P

Mmmmh. As I am of the theory that all of us had a "myself" in the past, just in a different body, I think I would LOVE to be either:
1. A train-driver. Those ROCK.
2. A soldier under Francisco I. Madero's command to get Porfirio Diaz off Mexico's government (if to any historical idea of who P. Diaz was, he was to Mexico what Pinochet was to Chile, what Stalin was to Russia, what Hitler was to half Europe...). And yeah, I love Mexican history. :D

karxwp
30-07-2003, 04:45
I would really die.... :gigi:
Imagine year 1900...no computers, no cars, no "always", no cd players, no laptops, no internet,no tv, no t.A.t.u. and so on and so forth...

If I had to be in that year...mmm I have no idea of what I would be doing :S

PD.
I preferthe Ancient Greece or in the Imperial Rome as a time to travel in my little time machine :D

Dent
30-07-2003, 04:59
I better not tell you how many before you and in their right time tried to do so

Well but if iґm back to 1900 he would be just a children and even could be orientated so it wouldnґt be that problem.

Cya

febrika
30-07-2003, 05:24
i would riding a horse a lot ! :D

Kappa
30-07-2003, 06:03
I just imagined Yulia and Lena in those big 1900 dresses... LOL.

0newinged
30-07-2003, 07:00
Ah the ol' question...

I have no idea but I'd probably be paranoid to hell. Have to watch every single tiny move I make just in case I f*ck up the world O_o ...

I thought about trying to some way get Hitler assasinated or something to stop the war .. because it could have made a huge difference to mankind. On the one side for example I would have had the chance to meet my grandpa, who died from sickness after being in a concentration camp, but then at the same time, my other grandpa would never have met my grandma thus I would never have been born...

so would I just cease to exist then? and when would that happen? and how could I have gotten him killed if I never existed in the first place to go back in time and put the plan into action... O_o Might screw up the universe so I think I'd just play it safe, ya know try and fit in as much as possible, but I would most likely have some serious culture shock :-\

Uhaku
30-07-2003, 07:41
Year 1900? ... Hmmm ...

:) ) I would bring back the technology of sound with me. ^_^ There would be black and white movies with SOUND. I'd leave it black and white simply cus i love the way it looked. I'd also tell them that it should be 24 frames per second. And I'd tell them that people would be able to watch 3 hours movies, so there was no need to make only half-an-hour ones, or less.

:) ) I would do everything in my "small" power to stop the assasination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Yup, like I could.

:) ) I would tell them that the world wouldn't stop turning at the year 2000 and get arrested for being insane.

jockdstylez
30-07-2003, 07:44
ermm well..Hitler didn't exactly start the war.. What set off WWI was the shooting of the archduke by Princip.. I would prevent him from doing that before i even think about Hitler..

ahh but i would have to join karxwp, Imperial Rome would be my destination.. :D

EDIT: bah..uhaku beat me to it.. His name was Gavrilo Princip..[ a serbian nationalist if i recall correctly..] I'll hunt him down with ya! lol

oasischuan
30-07-2003, 11:24
I'd be a Chinese commander to fight the foreign invaders and snatchers in Beijing who are killing thousands, taking tons of treasures and burning down the summer palace.

ihavetatusleeve
30-07-2003, 17:08
First off, I wouldn't try to change history because that could have dire consequences on the future. Atrocities have occured but we are all still here and the earth is still spinning. Remember that everything happens for a reason. I would just try to enjoy watching history unfold before my eyes, seeing first hand where we came from and how it has influenced where we are today.

I would get involved in the development of sound and movie technology, and be as fascinated as those who first saw movies and heard records. Oh, to see those classic silent films first run in the first movie houses would be breathtaking!

Also, I would go to Coney Island by one of those ferries from Manhattan, the only way to get to Coney in those days, and ogle the women in those long, wool bathing suits. Hopefully I'd be well to do because those were the only people who went to Coney Island in those days. Corrupt policemen and a lack of women's rights will ensure that I might need to bring a friend on this trip back in time! Maybe see the famous Five Points where Gangs of New York took place. And spend the rest of my life watching the landscape and people of NYC grow and change with time, see how all the halves live in our fair city. NYC history fascinates me. Take a ferry ride to the 14 year old Statue of Liberty!

So many things.

raven ryuu
30-07-2003, 22:01
I would imagine that I would live the life my great-grandparents lived. The only way to get around Guam was by foot or by carabao (if you had one). I would help out with farming on a ranch, wake up hella-early in the morning to make breakfast from scratch (I mean grinding the maize/corn to fine powder in order to make tatiyas (tortillas) ), and then staying up hella-late after spending all afternoon making dinner :bum:
No electricity...no plumbing...no modern-technology... I would be lost :dead: But on the plus side...I would be able to speak the native language of Chamorro :D

Charles
31-07-2003, 01:09
I would have no hesitation about altering the time lines since by the very fact that I'm there, time would have already been changed.

If I knew it would happen, I'd spend as much time studying technology as possible. Maybe some geography for a shipwreck or two. The Kentucky Derby started to get big in 1902.

Hmm. I'd look up my great grandfather on my mother side and tell him to get out of banking BEFORE the stock market crashes. I'd tell my paternal grandfather to sell the factory before WWII, because it is in what was (will be?) East Berlin.

If time travel were possible, I suspect history would have a great deal of momentum. Remove Hitler? Ok, but what about Goebbels, Himmler, and the rest of the top nazis? WWII was almost ineviatable given the Treaty of Versai (it was punitive, and sent Germany into bankruptcy). The assasination of Arch Duke Ferdinand may have been the match that started the fire, but all the kindling was already in place in the form of treaties, alliances, and old hostilities. France and Germany had been at war off and on for a century.

If I did have a list, saving Ferdinand would be on it. Maybe buying the paintings of a young Hitler might make a difference there. In 1900 Lenin is 27, Stalin is 21, and Moa is 7. Tsar Nicholas II is 32. Maybe he could use some advice. The list could go on forever.

Just had a thought. Suppose time travel is possible, and our past has constantly been reworked for the better. Now imagine that our history is the best it could be. Isnt' that a depresing thought on the human condition?

forre
31-07-2003, 01:16
I won't try to alter almost anything. We got to learn from our own mistakes. Nevertheless, I'm bringing a camcorder with me and make a documentary. Then I'll try to get in touch with Albert Einstein and try to convience him to develop his theory of the cosmic constanta. He called it a blunt and never developed it further. A sort of pity because the guy was genious in his field.

raven ryuu
31-07-2003, 02:57
I would probably do what that guy Biff in Back To The Future did -- bring a world almanac with me, and then use that to help me win bets on sporting events :D hahaha :lol:

denial
31-07-2003, 10:42
I think I just ride a horse with febrika.
Because I dont know how to ride horse ...I just sit behind her and hug her really tight ....

russkayatatu
31-07-2003, 17:08
Funny, I didn't think of this as a question of changing, not changing :ithink: I thought of it more as "if right now were the year 1900, with the world and everything looking as it did then, what would you do? How would you want to fit into that society, what sort of opportunities would you take?" I guess that's not the question though :gigi:

I used to think that if I'd been born a century earlier I'd have been an anarchist :lol: Now I am not so sure. In fact I doubt it and in fact I think I'd be pretty much the same as I am now :D

But, hmm, I wouldn't try to change anything either. Although maybe I would have an idea about where to go to get closer and observe - knowing what history would make of things, events, and people 100 years down the road, that might be interesting.

Charles, you could have been part of the negotiations for the Treaty of Versailles and try to change that outcome, you know ;) As well as buying Hitler's paintings. :P

Interesting about Einstein. Maybe I would have tried to find Ramanujan, who was just starting high school then, and helped him get a good mathematical education - or at least give him more and better books! :rolleyes: Cause when he eventually joined the mathematical mainstream in 1914 his work suffered from not knowing rigorous mathematical methods and proof... because of his lack of formal education he was never able to achieve everything he probably had the potential for. Another sort of pity :dknow:

How about another question: if you could go back to 1900 or another time period, would you want to? When and why?

jc288
01-08-2003, 02:03
uhmm.. yea.. me dunno what to do if i were back in 1900... like ppl has mentioned here.. no car, no washing machines,...no nothing.. :D :p

i would prefer go forth to the future.. maybe more high-tech stuff for discovery..? :lol:

jockdstylez
03-08-2003, 11:09
How about another question: if you could go back to 1900 or another time period, would you want to? When and why?

For sure, I would go all the way back to 30-33 ad depending on how long I can stay. 30 ad, Jesus started his ministry. 33 ad, was when he died at the cross and rose again. I would definately would want to have witnessed that.. but there could be complications..oy..

freddie
03-08-2003, 13:57
) I would do everything in my "small" power to stop the assasination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Yup, like I could.

I was thinking the same thing, (At least I wouldn't have to travel far georgaphicaly LOL), but then again, Gavrilo Princip's assasionation of Franz Ferdinand was not the cause for the I. World War. It was just an excuse that germans used. If the assasiontion wouldn't have happened, they'd use something else. One person can't stop the big events from happening IMO.

If I'd go back in 1900 I'd probably try convincing the Carinthian Slovenes not to join the Austro-Hungarian empire 18 years later, because they'd get screwd in the long run.

This time machine idea reminded me of a book I once read:

A man went 2000 years back in time to met Jesus. The told the people about him, about his ideas and teachings, but nobody seemed to know this misterious man: Jesus Christ.
The time-traveler spoke about the bibles teachings so eagerly and passionatly that people started to call HIM Jesus. He was crusiffied as "Jesus that they called Christ", and he was known as "Jesus the son of god" to his worshipers. He realized on the cross that he infact became the historical figure he was looking for. The story went full circle. Everything has it's cause and effect. Christianity was the cause of time travel.:D

LMAO@karxwp. No Always? They had other stuff ya know?:D

denial
03-08-2003, 15:35
[i]
How about another question: if you could go back to 1900 or another time period, would you want to? When and why? [/B]

I just want to go back to Dec 2000- and tell my ex ..
"..nope.. I've checked .. we wont make it.. and lets just stay friends..or nothing .. what ever .. I dont care.."

QueenBee
03-08-2003, 16:11
Uh.. I donno.. Work on a farm and get married with whoever mom and dad chooses for me? :D Talk about happy life :P

I would tell them that the world wouldn't stop turning at the year 2000 and get arrested for being insane.
Hahahaha! True, true.. Or maybe they'd think you were a witch and burn you!

I'd like to be rich in the year of 1900 :D That would be so awesome... A little party with all my slaves *daydreams* Mmm good life...

Me Am Hulk
03-08-2003, 20:37
Originally posted by forre
Imagine that you are back to year 1900.

What would you do?

If I were south of the Mason Dixon line, I'd be running away from the Ku Klux Klan.

If I were north of it, I'd be running away from the Metropolitan
Police.

:dknow:

Ahhh, the hell with 1900. I'd go into the future and declare myself "God of the Morlocks."

:done: