PDA

View Full Version : Did you think about learning Russian because of Tatu?!

sgfan182
18-06-2003, 09:51
can't say i didn't!
but my native language is Arabic and i speak good english plus i'm taking french classes at school! adding a fourth one would be just too much for my brain!
though my dad speaks 4 languages i can't!
and i've been told that russian is difficult to learn!

what about you?!

haku
18-06-2003, 10:24
I tried to learn russian like 15 years ago and quickly gave up. IMO, it's quite hard to learn (except for other slavic people i guess) and you really have to put a lot of time into it, which i didn't have at the time (plus me being a dumbass and all). If only i'd known that 15 years later there would be Y&L! I'm sure it would have helped... :rolleyes:

On a side note, you're an arabic native speaker. Did you have a look at Yulia's shoulder blades tattoo? Some say that it means "named by god", others that it doesn't mean anything. What's your take on it?

Torico
18-06-2003, 11:39
I learned a few common russian tatu phrases like : hi, thankyou, i love you, gay boy. lol

skye
18-06-2003, 12:16
I listen to their cd over and over again just want to learn Russian :yes: it's a very beautiful language but really hard to learn and it sometimes sounds like Japanese ex: poka in Russian sounds like ¤K¤O" in Japanese(bastard) :p :lalala: and it's not that easy to get the russian text books (I search for all books in the libary, there is only one russian book and it's a dictionary) :(
is it possible to learn by self :confused:

Tom Violence
18-06-2003, 12:35
Since I left school, where I felt very self-concious in French and German classes, I've become enormously set on learning other languages.

And, yes, I'm now intensely keen to learn Russian. I have sheets of A4 with the original and translated lyrics from 200 Po Vstrechnoi scattered about my bedroom. I did much the same thing with Juniper Moon songs when I wanted to start learning Spanish about five months ago. I spend enough time listening to t.A.T.u. to be able to sing along to large parts of the Russian songs. Since the words are there in my head, I might as well know what they mean.

Next time I get the chance to go into town I'll be casing Ottakar's for books on Russian grammar. I've not been able to find anything on the internet that might help.

I would fancy proper lessons, but I've not a clue where in the world I'll be living by September, which means I can't really enrol on any courses at the moment. Russia is, however, a very serious option for my future home. This teaching English lark is very liberating in that respect.

Disengage
18-06-2003, 16:25
Yeah, but after one look at that alphabet and I kinda gave up.

Ruivelle
18-06-2003, 16:26
HELL YEAH !! now i'm looking forward to take a russian course here (very hard to find one on my country) ... i've already buy some russian books (dictionary and daily conversations) and try to translate t.A.T.u song on my country language , but DAMN , russian grammar is .. HARD !! :D :D :D

QueenBee
18-06-2003, 17:06
Yeah.. I feel so pathetic :lalala:
Russian just seems like such a hard language to learn.. I already know 3 languages and learning a 4th so I can't handle Russian right now :D Or can I? :spy:

Ripptyd
18-06-2003, 19:28
I'm a native English speaker, can read, write, and listen to Spanish, and can read and write Latin. And am attempting Russian. Not because of the girls, but because Russian is just plain sexy to hear. LOL.

I REALLLLLLLY wanna learn Arabic though.

sheerblade
18-06-2003, 19:32
Native spanish speaker, can read write listen spanish, know more english than spanish too, Russian wouldnt hurt, im also learning french, and german atm, im sure i could tackle 3 langauges at a time ^_^

Echoed
18-06-2003, 19:56
Trilingual. Read, understand Spanish. With a bit of brushing up, same with Latin. Basics of sign language. Wanna learn Japanese, Chinese and Russian, just for variety. Although, I do admit that I want to learn Russian because I've grown so used to hearing it now that I just want to understand it. And, yes, it is rather a sexy language. *Laughs.*

~Echo.

freddie
18-06-2003, 20:14
And, yes, it is rather a sexy language. *Laughs.*

What are you people all crazy or something?:laugh:

Russian sexy? Excuse me? To me it sounds like a wild mix of polish, croatian, slovene and macedonian with the absence of adverbs. It's interesting - I give it that - but it's soooo far away from sexy for me, you wouldn't belive. We all know which language is the language of love don't we? ;)

But I really wonder how many North Americans found russian sexy during the time of Nikita Hrushchev or Mihael Gorbachov. :D

Does your native tongue count as one language? Then I'm trilingual. If not then I'm bilingual. I also understand most of german, but have trouble speaking it. I don't plan to learn russian in the near future, mostly because of the cyrilic leters which I was forced to learn in 91 when we all had to study serbo-croatian (I forgot them 1 year later). I still hate those leters to this day, cause they were forced upon me.

Charles
18-06-2003, 23:50
Yes, exposure to Tatu is one of the things that prompted me to learn Russian. I studied Spanish for two yeas in high school (now completely gone), and one year of college French (I can still read some).

I didn't find cyrillic all that difficult once I got past the fact that print, script, and italic cyrillic don't always match.

Any time I think there are too many grammatical forms in Russian (cases, congugations, declensions, etc.), I just think what it would be like to learn English as a foreign language.

freddie
19-06-2003, 00:45
Any time I think there are too many grammatical forms in Russian (cases, congugations, declensions, etc.), I just think what it would be like to learn English as a foreign language.

It's not that hard belive me. Geman is MUCH harder.

sheerblade
19-06-2003, 01:20
German is harder because it falls under its own category Germanic, not like Russian, Slovene, Bulgarian, and those that fall under Slavic and Spanish, French, Italian fall under Latin

haku
19-06-2003, 01:56
Originally posted by Charles

English is easy to learn! "cases, conjugations, declensions", well, none of those really exist in English.

The possessive "case": 's? It takes one second to learn it.

Conjugations? "infinitive+s, +ed, +ing" and you're done with English conjugations. That's extremely simple compared to many continental european languages.

Declensions? Declensions do not exist in modern English.

Dent
19-06-2003, 04:48
hehehehe i already has established some languages i must learn: English, Spanish, French, German and also would like to speak some scandinavian languages.

now after Tatu i had a strange desire to learn russian too. hehehehe

Cya

Dent

freddie
19-06-2003, 13:16
Declensions? Declensions do not exist in modern English.

So you're saying they existed once? :ithink:

I wonder how that would be like.

QueenBee
19-06-2003, 16:27
Ripptyd, I've got like 3427473895235628 Arabic friends who can teach you :p If only they had Internet and could speak English.. :lalala:

kishkash
19-06-2003, 23:07
Russian is only sexy 'cause of the girlz ;)

freddie
19-06-2003, 23:23
Originally posted by kishkash
Russian is only sexy 'cause of the girlz ;)

Are you sure it's not because of Mihael Gorbachov, Boris Yeltsin or Vladimir Putin? :laugh:

Dent
19-06-2003, 23:25
does anyone know or can pass me the cyrirlic font? Because the ones i found are terrible and doesnґt work with this forum. all i see is a lot of strange letters.

Cya

Dent :cool:

forre
20-06-2003, 00:17
Originally posted by freddie
So you're saying they existed once? :ithink:

I wonder how that would be like.

It looks like that:
Hwжt! We Gardena in geardagum,
юeodcyninga, юrym gefrunon,
hu рa жюelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaюena юreatum,

P.S. It's ancient English, known as anglo-saxon's language. Modern English was influenced by Latin and French later. Declinations exited in their mid-form. 15 European languages derived from this one later. (English, German, Dutch, Danish ... etc.)

There are only 27% of the English-English words left in the modern English. Some underwent severe modifications even later. For instance word "street" was borrowed from Latin and modified during the centuries.

Okay it's purely off-topic. I'll stop here.

Uhaku
20-06-2003, 02:54
i wanted to learn russian. well, not b/c of tatu. lol. it's just b/c i happen to love the sound of the russian national anthem so much. err...forgive me...i sounded silly. oh, and it was b/c my favorite skater is russian. ^_^ ooooh, i love commies. errr...i'll shut up..now...

ChrisG.1987
20-06-2003, 06:57
i always wanted to learn russian but my school doesnt have the class, or i dont think it does, tatu just made me want to learn russian more than i did before

prostrel
20-06-2003, 15:47
I have been taken classes in Russian 5 years now, but not because of Tatu, I found Tatu only a few months ago. Russian, sexy? Oh, yes! Especially those voiced consonants said with a low manly voice. I could listen to it for hours and quiver at those sounds. And get excited. Or fall asleep. :)

freddie
20-06-2003, 16:06

I don't understand a word of that. So I can't find declensions eather. Maybe some native speakers have more clue about this?;)

haku
20-06-2003, 16:10
freddie

A short page on Old English:
http://members.tripod.com/babaev/archive/grammar41.html#3

russkayatatu
20-06-2003, 16:20
Originally posted by forre
It looks like that:

P.S. It's ancient English, known as anglo-saxon's language. Modern English was influenced by Latin and French later. Declinations exited in their mid-form. 15 European languages derived from this one later. (English, German, Dutch, Danish ... etc.)

freddie, what do you mean? It's plain as day that it's:

LO, praise of the prowess of people-kings
of spear-armed Danes, in days long sped,
we have heard, and what honor the athelings won!
Oft Scyld the Scefing from squadroned foes,

or, a little more modern,

Hear me! We've heard of Danish heroes, ancient kings and the glory they cut for themselves, swinging mighty swords! How Shild made slaves of soldiers from every land

:D

I'm just kidding; I don't understand much either. And I didn't have much trouble with Chaucer. This is older. forre I am not sure what you mean - this isn't just ancient English, but ancient German, Danish, etc.? I thought they spoke Frisian and Goth (?) in Germany in the early middle ages. But no wonder it looks different :gigi: This is probably close to modern Icelandic, yes?

English still has some pronominal declensions: "I" turns to "me" in accusative, "he" turns to "him," residual stuff like that. But not much.

On topic, I already spoke Russian (sort of) before I listened to tatu; ut it's not that hard if you work at it and learn to love the grammar ;)

freddie
20-06-2003, 18:12
English still has some pronominal declensions: "I" turns to "me" in accusative, "he" turns to "him," residual stuff like that. But not much.

Russkayatatu - thank you so much for "I-me" example. I've been confused about this one ever since I've started learning english - I never even thought that it's got something to do with declensions. Akkusativ in english, haha, who would have thought :D

Thanks for the link haku :done:

forre
20-06-2003, 18:31
Originally posted by russkayatatu
This is older. forre I am not sure what you mean - this isn't just ancient English, but ancient German, Danish, etc.? I thought they spoke Frisian and Goth (?) in Germany in the early middle ages. But no wonder it looks different :gigi: This is probably close to modern Icelandic, yes?

Yeh, yeh. I was referring to the 10th century. Old English - ancient English, doesn't matter. The language was almost the same with local variations those were huge. Frisian, anglo-saxon's - just the names for dialects.

Topic: Russian. Yep. Language as language, nothing special about it. Sexy? No to me. Of course some people would start learning Russian because of t.A.T.u., at least give it a try.

daydreamer0102
20-06-2003, 20:48
hmm not really, i was interested in it once my mom dated this guy from St. Petersburg some years ago. he used to tell me about some Russian fairytales and such, i thought it was interesting and i wanted to read it myself. i dont remember it much though, something about getting good luck throughout the year once a serpent slithered over your house?? i dont know but my memory probably altered that story during the years.lol.

the languages i've been interested in learning are icelandic, swedish, italian, estonian, and slovene. i doubt i'll ever learn those since the community colleges only have english, russian, spanish, and french. and in my highschool? stupid school only has french and spanish, like if i'll ever want to visit france :rolleyes:. no offence to the french btw, i just dont find the country interesting.

haku
20-06-2003, 20:53
Originally posted by daydreamer0102
no offence to the french

Not taken, there's nothing interesting here. :D

Echoed
20-06-2003, 22:11
I likes me French. :D But, anyway, though I don't want to learn Russian FOR t.A.T.u., they have admittedly gotten me interested in the language. The sound is much different from the three languages I currently speak. And the fourth which I can read and understand and pronunciate, but not speak. LOL.

~Echo.

freddie
20-06-2003, 22:23
the languages i've been interested in learning are icelandic, swedish, italian, estonian, and slovene

You wanna learn Slovene? :confused: Are you sure you didn't mix it up with Slovakian? :heh:

nath
20-06-2003, 22:51
[
stupid school only has french and spanish, like if i'll ever want to visit france :rolleyes:. no offence to the french btw, i just dont find the country interesting. [/B][/QUOTE]

Why? When I was young, I wrote a report on "Paris seen by the American writers between the 2 wars" (1918-1945)..It was the opinion neither of your American ancestors nor of your writers who lived in France..Try to read Hemingway, Dos Passos, Henry Miller, if you do not want to travel but...I think that all the countries are interesting to discover and France is not worse than the others..les landscapes very diverse and are varied, the kitchen is good, Paris is a splendid city and the culture and the way of thinking of the French are not so uninteresting...
I am not at all chauvinistic, I am just surprised of your remark... we are far from being perfect but I think that we deserve to be cross once in the life, when it is possible...

Me, I try to learn Russian but it is necessary to be humble and patient for that..and I will be it.
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen/fullscreen32.html
Ps:I went in America and I liked your country..

Sorry Echo for the "topic off"..

russkayatatu
21-06-2003, 02:48
freddie, you're welcome :D "Me" is also like a dative - "for me," "with me," etc. - seems like if it's not nominative (I want to say in oblique cases, but I'm not sure that's right), then it's "me."

On topic. Is Russian sexy? I'll say yes. Languages are languages, but they're all different too, you know :gigi: And I like the way Russian sounds, not just the sounds but the phrasing, intonation, and so on. But I like all languages, so don't pay attention to me :)

zebu
21-06-2003, 13:51
tatu got me interested in Russian, and i'd love to learn it.
for me it is one of the most beautiful languages,it sounds great

haku
21-06-2003, 17:33
Russian, sexy? I don't remember Gorbatchev's speeches being that hot! :D Maybe those two hot things called Y&L have something to do with it! :D

Charles
23-06-2003, 21:12
Any foreign language can sound sexy. Its part mystery, part tone, and part wishful thinking. In French, calling someone "my little cabbage" is a term of endearment. In English, you call someone "sugar," or "honey" (they're sticky, and promote tooth decay?). If you didn't understand the language, you might like being called a diseased goat f*cker if its said in the right tone of voice.

I figure if I can learn Russian, it opens more experience to me (music, literature, culture, etc.). Even if I never achieve fluency, learning Russian still feels much more satisfying than the leisure activity it replaced (any other former Everquest junkies out there?).

febrika
02-07-2003, 04:58
i found russia interesting when i see 'nikita' the movie (most), 007 sequel 'from russia with love', and tsar family with 'anastacia'

then t.A.T.u comes ... ooo

dare2dream28
03-07-2003, 03:49
Originally posted by Disengage
Yeah, but after one look at that alphabet and I kinda gave up.

LMAO Me too! :D I took French for 5 years so I can read it well and speak a little, but writing...ehhhh since I haven't been in class for a year, I don't think I'd really know where to start anymore. But the point is I can still understand it. :) Now as far as Russian...ever since I became a fan of t.A.T.u., I've been so interested in Russian and in other languages. Whenever foreign people come to my work, I just listen to their languages, reveling in how they sound. I have to say though, it doesn't matter what an Australian says, I just turn into a puddle and melt. :) I do admit that if it wasn't for the girls, I really would've cared less about Russian, but now I feel myself drawn to it--I love to hear it and I watch any special on TV about Russia. I'm just a sucker for accents. lol

LenochkaO
05-07-2003, 16:49
I studied French, German and Latin at school, and then at the age of 12 decided I wanted to learn Russian. No classes, so I got a book (written in the 60s) and started trying to teach myself, but the pronunciation had me totally foxed. I actually ended up starting Japanese at high school because I couldn't take beginner's Russian there. I've had a couple more abortive attempts at learning the language, but for the moment I'm just having to be content with picking up the odd word from my bf. I wish I had the willpower to teach myself, but if I don't have the incentive of being told off by a teacher for not studying, I don't do anything. I'm such a lazyass :)