PDA

View Full Version : fanfic and reality

la aurora
17-06-2003, 18:07
Some days ago I decided to carry out a kind of experiment. I have a friend. She’s 19 years old and definitely not shallow. She is really far from being a tatu-fan. She’s indifferent to their music and doesn’t like image at all. She has nothing against lesbians but finds it low to earn money this way; besides, she doesn’t like y&l’s attitude… she’s seen some of their interviews (1-2 may be) and found them rude. She’s not a hater but she knows almost nothing about tatu and really doesn’t want to.
So, I took one of fanfics posted on this forum and gave her to read if she’d “have some spare time and be bored”. I knew she’d read at least the beginning that day coz she forgot the book she usually reads while going home by metro. So she had nothing to do anyway. I told her that was about tatu and repeated 100 times that it was just a fiction, that only names and looks + may be some treats of characters were real. She understood, took the fic (first chapters were in printed version, others – on floppy disc). And we forgot about it.
Some days after we were sitting in some cafй in the center of Moscow drinking tea, smoking and having some chat. She told me something funny and it reminded me some of tatu-jokes. I told her one and she started to laugh. Then suddenly she said out-of-matter: “so, Yulia is a kind of leader there?” I told her something (it doesn’t matter here) back and smiled to myself. What I expected happened. She never knew their names; she never cared who the hell they were and so on… I don’t say she became a fan. I don’t know if she bought their CD (she’d never tell anyway, heh…) but she definitely became much more loyal. She started to treat y&l as real persons (not just 2 rude girls from tv screen). Why? I think she took some of that fic reality for serious (although I’m sure she tried not to). I wanted a “clear” experiment, so I told her many times: “JUST A FICTION”. She understood it but some things stuck in her brain and she couldn’t look at y&l the way she used to.

Now can I ask u “how much influence have tatufics on the real image of Yulia&Lena in ur head?” And, how do u think, “how much influence has real image on what we see in fics?” For those who writes them: “are characters in ur stories more like real Y&L or more like what u’d like them to be?”.
I can honestly say that sometimes when I read fanfics I forget that they aren’t real. Sometimes I try to find echo of any fic in tatu-performances, interviews…
And u should count that for me these fics are less real then for some of u. Coz I’m Russian. And I meet many things that are too far from Russian reality even in the best fics… so I imagine how real these stories can be for ppl who doesn’t see these things. Am I mistaken? Just tell me what u think, ok?

Ripptyd
17-06-2003, 18:46
They don't influence me at all, conciously anyway.
I think the fact that two of my major fictions have the girls not the same speaks for that.

If I use traits, it's the ones that the girls themselves have demonstrated, or things we have read, etc, then I try and give it my own twist.

I keep it at a distance though so that I'm never confused by reality or fiction. That's what any writer should do, I'd imagine.

forre
17-06-2003, 18:51
“how much influence have tatufics on the real image of Yulia&Lena in ur head?”
Zero.

“how much influence has real image on what we see in fics?”
1% - mostly appearance.

abzdrakt
17-06-2003, 19:37
Originally posted by Ripptyd
I keep it at a distance though so that I'm never confused by reality or fiction. That's what any writer should do, I'd imagine.

For some reason I always find myself being swept away with the 'fiction'; when I write a big part of me just blends with the other characters - at least this is the only way, I imagine, I can make the emotions sound genuine. :dknow:

But then again, it all goes back to the question of why do we write in the first place, some write to escape, others to entertain, I write to understand myself ...

:) just thought I'd say what I thought

Ningyo
17-06-2003, 22:19
Originally posted by abzdrakt
For some reason I always find myself being swept away with the 'fiction'; when I write a big part of me just blends with the other characters - at least this is the only way, I imagine, I can make the emotions sound genuine. :dknow:

Personally, I think it happens to most writers out there. Dunno why exactly. I do it myself, but in a moderate way; it's not a story about me after all. That's what my diary is for, lol!

Originally posted by sunny poison

None; I know it's all fiction.

Dunno... What we see doesn't really have to be the real thing, I think we're all aware of that. Can't say it does influence fics 'cause I'm not sure.

“are characters in ur stories more like real Y&L or more like what u’d like them to be?

Is that a trick question? No, seriously now... I haven't thought about it; I just write. Ocasionally get ideas from what I hear or read, but not entirely.

- SK.

Ripptyd
18-06-2003, 02:07
The only time I get "swept away" so to speak is just getting caught into my writing because it's like my baby. I've put effort and time into it.

Like with "Nothing In Between." I WILL finish it. Just because I'm attached to it and I've put so much of myself into it. I never write what isn't present in me. If it's a hateful story, I'm feeling animosity, etc.

But I don't get swept away to where I'm confusing fiction and reality. There's a line clearly drawn, and it may get crossed briefly when I write, but I always pull myself back over to become a story teller.

elwolf_x
18-06-2003, 03:06
what's nice about a lot of the fanfiction i've read is you get to see what "lena" and "yulia" are thinking, rather than always having to speculate on what they REALLY mean when they say one thing or another. so in a way, reading fanfiction is a lot easier than being a tatu fan :ithink:! well, at least if you're a really "into it" fan, and i think a lot of the people that come to these boards are this type of fan...the type that will speculate and etc...
i'm not sure exactly how to put it, but i think fiction is a way for us (or me at least) to see lena and yulia in a way that would be ideal for US and what we WANT to see. that's why whenever i see a fic that's "too westernized" or seems characterized too differently from what i've seen of the girls i'll immediately stop reading it.

hmm..i thought i knew what i was going to say when i started this post...lol oh well :confused:

Bitty2002
18-06-2003, 06:54
Originally posted by sunny poison

For those who writes them: “are characters in ur stories more like real Y&L or more like what u’d like them to be?”.

And u should count that for me these fics are less real then for some of u. Coz I’m Russian. And I meet many things that are too far from Russian reality even in the best fics… so I imagine how real these stories can be for ppl who doesn’t see these things. Am I mistaken? Just tell me what u think, ok?

A. I wouldn't think any. I mean I think reading a fic about them reminds you they are humans too and tehy have thoughts, feelings, emotions. but WHAT those are aren't influenced by what I read.

B. I think minor. Obviously, the in your head appearance. But I know from writing I try to mix in some attributes from who i think they might be, but the majority is completely fictional. Although, i must say much of their personalities are shaped by my personal experiences, all that I know to go off of. So it would be influenced more by myself and my friends.

C. Like I said, in some instances, how they "might" be. But for the most part, just two girls, not really what I want them to be or what they are. It is mainly just my own experiences or vicarious experiences.

Yes I faltered between trying to decide if I should place the characters Yulia and Lena in the US, since that is all I know. But chose not. I wish I knew more about Russian way of life, to be more acurate, but I know I am so far off it must be funny to native Russians. To be honest, I "try" but not very hard, otherwise it would come off like I was trying really hard, lol. Once again mainly influenced by my own experiences.

HomerunNell
18-06-2003, 09:36
The fact with any fanfic, whether it is based on real people or television shows or movies, is that it needs to be read with an open mind and taken with a pinch of salt.

There are some stories that are based in more 'realisitic' situations (school,s work, etc) where the girls are sort of taken andput into this alternate universe and moulded into respective characters that are not necessarily carbon copies of the girls themselves.

The girls are simply the inspiration.:D

And there are some based on the possible world of the girls in their actual careers, but its always pure fan speculation of 'what if' and the writer *knows* what they have written is not real. Sometimes they can take what they have seen of the real girls but it isn't enough so they need to flesh out their characters. I don't think its a case of *wanting* them to be that way.

I think that Yulia and Lenas physical images have the most influence. Characterzation is simply fun experimentation and its always a challenge to differentiate to the way everybody else is writing them.

Thats just my rambling two cents.:heh:

Uhaku
18-06-2003, 10:44

None. FanFiction never crossed its line into reality for me. (it’s like when I read an X-files fanfiction, I never believed the “official” Scully is married to the “official” Mulder, etc.)

And, how do u think, “how much influence has real image on what we see in fics?”

This is the tricky part for me. -_-‘ The situation is completely opposite. I debated myself for a while whether to write a fan fiction about REAL ppl. It’s scary and stupid to me at first, but then, I like to write and what could be easier when u already have the main characters laid out for u? You don’t have to make your own. I thought of it as a writing practice. (But I’m so drawn into it now, damn!).

For 666 , their image did influence me a lot in the beginning. Since their presented image is related to lesbianism, and 666’s storyline bases on that. Although everything in this story is purely my own imagination, but I’m a weak writer who needs to believe in my characters in order to SEE them. I literally stopped visiting the main forum to read news, download interviews about them for a month. My fandom faded away real fast, believe me. Eventually, I got bored writing about them. BUT since I still like their music A LOT, and I still love to write, I slipped back into the forum and got headaches, as was expected. LOL. So I cured myself with “Darkness Within”.

And now, I don’t bother reading any fics that contains the word “T.A.T.U.”, and the name “Ivan Shapalova(whatever)” is forbidden to me.

For those who writes them: “are characters in ur stories more like real Y&L or more like what u’d like them to be?”

For 666 , I did try to make their characters more like Y and L in the beginning; but the way I see their personalities might be different from others though. For example, I never see L as a shy, always-crying, romantic girl, so I didn’t make L character that way. But as the story took so fucking long to write (originally intended for only 6 chapters, I don’t know how the hell I got it where it is now), I lost my patience and started to make them the way I want them to be. I have to say I indulged myself once in a while since the beginning (the suicide scenes). That should explain that I DID NOT see the real girls having suicide tendencies. I’m not that sick … yet. Now? I don’t even see the real girls’ faces. Thank God. I only see the characters I write.

For ‘Darkness Within’ , I totally ruined the possibility of their realness. I’ve learned my lesson (I still want to be a tatu fan, for Christ’s sake!) And, partly, because there are so many fics about schoolgirl love theme, I’m reaching the dead end here. I’m desperate for something new. In this story, I treat it like a movie script that could be played by someone who looks like tatu girls. That’s all.

Yup, I know my story is way off from ‘Russian’ way, since I’d never been there, never lived there, and don’t know a freaking word in Russian (although the Russian national anthem is one of my all time favorite songs. It just sounds so grand!) So I tried in everyway possible to avoid writing too much about settings. But u have to understand, this is just Fan Fictions, not a movie script, who would put so much of their efforts in finding out the real settings? (Not to mention how Hollywood often butchered reality. Too many examples to mention). I don’t get paid for writing this. I only get moments of joy from writing it, and that’s what keeps me going. That’s my paycheck, all right. I spent so much time and efforts already into the characters and storylines. I can’t afford to give more.

tatu_rocs
06-08-2004, 22:05
i think for the most part it does have a lil bit of and affect but once u see the girls live u sit there and laugh cuz now u remember that they r rude and rnt really lesbians but still damn hot!!but ya thats my short opinion!! :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla:

denial
09-08-2004, 13:42
Well ..hi there..

At first I don't really like to read the fanfic .. because of the "fic" on the word.. and I didn't really care .. besides there were so many interviews and history to read .. since I came to know tatu a bit late .. like only around Apr 2003.

And by that time I already decided .. that Yulia does looks like a leader ...

Later, someone told me to read her first fan fic that she wrote ( not posted here ).. so I said okay .. I would spend time to read it .. and she wrote about the girls met at school ...book fall .. both trying to pick it at same time .. felt something ...fall in love .. etc .. so I thought .. okay .. so this is what fanfic is about .. then I know its not base on the real Yulia and Lena... but the characters implied... she didn't finished the fanfic tho..

Then later I got another request to read another fanfic ( not posted here also ) .. and this girl said that her fanfic is sort of like a "real fic" .. so I thought .. ok this cute .. I would like to read that very much.. so sent me .. she wrote about the girls going for interview ..and that included meeting Ivan .. but something about the way she wrote about Ivan that I told her .. "You made Ivan sound like a really-really bad guy there" ... because its opposite to what I see Ivan character is.. I mean the way he talk .. ( as we seen in those videos interview ) .. how can he yell at the girl and be so raugh at the beginning of their meeting and eat Lena's burger because Lena doesn't want to eat it because Ivan said Lena is fat .. . then either she stop writing or she dont sent it to me anymore .. lol

Then.. something catch my eyes .. the fanfic "Speak To Me" .. I like the title .. so I start to read it .. okay.. so now Yulia is a young genious phyciatrist and Lena is a mental patient .. then I already know that fan fic is not about the real Yulia and Lena .. they are just using this characters and make their own stories...

Then later I tried to read more fanfic .. and I already knew its not the Russian Yulia and Lena .. of TATU.

*search in her head* .. oh well .. after reading many articles and watching videos than you already know that the real Yulia and Lena is what you read in the tabloid and you seen in the video. What came from this tabloid and video are already too shocking to associate them with any fanfics. LoL .. I don't think the fanfic influence much in the real stories.

And, how do u think, “how much influence has real image on what we see in fics?”
The influence in real image on the fic I think is when you read and try to imagine the way Yulia or Lena talk and the face expression ..body movement and so on .. we could think of it this way that Yulia will always try to mock Lena ... even on the girls performance on stage .. we can see Yulia is taking charge there .. she just know how to play with the surrounding ..

Then suddenly she said out-of-matter: “so, Yulia is a kind of leader there?”
If your friend see this after reading the fanfic .. and then its probably as it is in real character .. because I think the tabloid and videos already effect the writers about the characters .. and the writers will influence the readers with the characters.. so it goes around .. LoL

I'm talking about characters only influence and not the story... so its has nothing to with the stories itself .. well .. about the russian thing .. when reading P&P .. I almost heard Roman yelled to Yulia "Fucking get out!" in British accent .. but anyway .. the fanfic characters does influence that makes people adore the two girls ..but then again .. I already said . the fanfic writers also read the tabloids and watch the videos so the real girls already influence the writers then they influence the readers.

teeny
09-08-2004, 16:03
Don't really think the fics influenced my point of view on the girls. It's kinda like when I read one of the John Grisham books.. if I just start to read the book not knowing how the characters look like already in my head, I can't really get through reading it. It's just names in the book and I can't really create a view in my head.
So normally I wait to read the book until it has been turned into a movie. Then I can read the book and concentrate on the story itself and the people in it become more real that way.
So basicly it's the same thing I do when reading a fanfic. I just add faces to the people in it and then I'll leave it at that.
:)