PDA

View Full Version : The best display of homoeroticism in the movies/tv/music

PowerPuff Grrl
12-06-2003, 23:32
FYI, the term homoeroticism is defined by www.dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=homoeroticism) as A homoerotic quality or theme.

Homoerotic defined again by the same source as Of or concerning homosexual love and desire.

In other words, have you ever seen/heard a movie/tv/song or music video that you thought was boderline gay, gay, gay.

I have.

First time I noticed this phenomenon was when I watched Top Gun about 5 years ago. This being my third time watching I was so unaware at the oh-so overt homoeroticism displayed throughout the movie. At first I thought it was just my perverted little mind, but then I heard of Quetin Tarantino disecting that movie piece-by-piece in all its homoerotic goodness.

After awhile though I thought I would never see that kind of display in movies ever again. But I just realized about two years that my awareness for homoeroticism just dulled down. It wasn't till I saw The Fellowship of the Rings that it all came back to me... in full force.
Damn it was so much I couldn't even keep track of it!!!
The Two Towers was even better.

For tv, it is all about Smallville. You know Clark Kent doesn't give two sh*ts about Lana Lang. He is in it for Lex baby!

Anyhoo, I'll post more later on...

And just so you know, there's an Internet term for displays of homoeroticism, it is called Hoyay! (tm TWOP), exclamation included.
the "Ho" in Hoyay! stands for homoeroticism, and the "yay!" part is just yay!
Thus "homoeroticism yay!"
I'll be using this term regularly.
:)

luxxi
13-06-2003, 00:14
Threesome when that guy (forgot his name) realises he likes Baldwin (when Baldwin gets all worked up on how he would do Lara Flynn Boyle). Not to mention all the funny things (like when all thre of them are walking home and each other is checking somebody out).

Echoed
13-06-2003, 01:13
http://home.nyu.edu/~amw243/diaries/

The Fellowship of the Ring.

Cracks me up. And it has to do with the topic too. ^_^

~Echo.

freddie
13-06-2003, 01:39
OK, OK I agree about the The Fellowship of the Rings... it's just too obvious... even the book itself was an ode to homoeroticism...

...but Top Gun??? WTF??? How??? Where??? When??? Why??? *cries* "I'm confused!!!!" Where are the displays of homoeroticism here? As far as I see it this movie is a typicall macho BS movie, made great only by Tom Cruise and the Grumman F-14 Tomcat. The only hint of homoeroticism may be the close friendship between Goose and Maverick... but how is this different to any other action movie? Every hero has a close best friend and a woman who loves him madly. The close friend usualy dies - not because he's possible lover of the main charachter, but just because he's conveniant.

For god sakes!!! Plese tell me what I'm missing!!! :eek: :D

Echoed
13-06-2003, 01:42
Oh, I was well aware of the homoerotic aspect of Top Gun. LOL.

Of course, I never really SAW it. But, hey, there we go. ^_^'

~Echo.

PowerPuff Grrl
13-06-2003, 02:52
Originally posted by freddie
...but Top Gun??? WTF??? How??? Where??? When??? Why??? *cries* "I'm confused!!!!" Where are the displays of homoeroticism here? ... The only sint of homoeroticism may be the close friendship between Goose and Maverick...

Seek and you shall find!

Now, it's been awhile since I have seen this so there may be more hoyay than I can recall correctly. It wasn't so much the relationship between Goose and Maverick but rather the rivalry between Maverick and Iceman that really stuck out for me. All that tension...

But speaking of Tom Cruise, he has done some pretty terrific homoeroticism in the past. Interview with the Vampire, so many pretty men, so much hoyay!

Which reminds me; vampires and pirates should be excluded from any mentioning. It is such a given that homoeroticism will occur in these movies that it ruins the spirit of hoyay spotting. But please, if you feel that some deserve recognition, then by all means share the wealth.
Of course I will be eagerly anticipating Pirates of the Carribean. I'll keep you updated on that!
:coctail:

On the other side of the spectrum, there kinda isn't that much homoeroticism between women in the movies. I think because it happens so frequently it is hard to distinguish between normal acts of friendship and hoyay. The only ones I can think of are Chicago and Fried Green Tomatos.
In Chicago, it was at the very end when Velma said that show business was the only business where it was okay to hate your associates, and then Roxie and Velma just stare at each other and then both kinda smirk. It was pretty subtle compared to the previously mentioned hoyay, had the staring been shorter I probably wouldn't have noticed anything.
For Fried Green Tomatos, it is pretty obvious, especially considering that in the book the two women were actual lesbians. I guess the studio execs wanted to tone it down.
Oh well.

I swear there are others I can remember. Oh well, until next time...

PS: Echo that site was brilliant. I swear Lord of the Ring is like the "Homoeroticism for Dummies."

freddie
13-06-2003, 03:04
Maverick and the Iceman?! Haha...well possibly but such tension exist between most protagonists of a story...I don't know if this dynamics between a hero and a villain could be called homoerotic.But then again I'm no movie critic. Things can easily slip by me. :)

About the homoeroticism between women in the movies: what about Thelma & Louise? ;)

PowerPuff Grrl
13-06-2003, 03:15
About the homoeroticism between women in the movies: what about Thelma & Louise? ;)

Oh that's a good one man!
:done:

You don't have to be a movie critic to be a hoyay spotter.
You just have have to be a pervert, that's all!
There's no shame in it, damnit!
:dknow:

freddie
13-06-2003, 03:26
You just have have to be a pervert, that's all!

Then you've got your man for the job, mwahahahahahaha...

More? Fight Club? Pulp Fiction?

PowerPuff Grrl
13-06-2003, 15:00
Then you've got your man for the job, mwahahahahahaha...

More? Fight Club? Pulp Fiction?

That's the spirit!
Oooh Fight Club another good one, especially when Jack was beating the crap out of that blonde kid because he was jealous that the blonde kid was become Tyler Durden's favourite.

Ocean's 11 is another one. Between Brad Pitt and George Clooney. Brad Pitt was sooo bored looking at the strippers then when George comes in his face lights up...
Is that hoyay?
I think so!
:p

A Beautiful Mind, especially considering the fact that John Nash really is bisexual. Guy had more chemistry with his friends than with his love interest.
There's a scene where he is walking down the hall and actually checks out a guy walking accross from him.

ETA: Just thought of some female hoyay! Xena, a thousnad times Xena. They just don't have homoeroticism between women like that anymore... such a shame.

taty994945
21-10-2003, 14:43
Echoed, that site is absolutely hilarious :D

Mossopp
21-10-2003, 20:43
I can't believe that some people actually managed to miss the blatant homoeroticism in 'Top Gun'! How much more obvious could it be?? :laugh:
I was also gonna mention 'Fight Club'. There's definately something between Tyler and Jack other than just platonic admiration. Not only does Jack pound the crap out of Angel Face when Tyler takes him under his wing - he's also insanely jealous of Tylers 'relationship' with Marla. Add to that the fact that a large amount of scenes in the movie feature dozens of sweaty, half-naked males, crowded together in a dimly lit basement and I think the homoerotic leanings are kinda hard to miss.
Although, when you consider the twist at the end of the film, the assumption that Jack is attracted to Tyler doesn't really make sense. :ithink:

Lux
21-10-2003, 21:10
charlie's angels?

yum. although no angel by herself, but combined..:dead:

Fight Club - droooool "i wonder if another woman is what we need" - tyler durden

rhapsody_au
22-10-2003, 13:51
Xena, a thousnad times Xena.

Hell yes! A thousand times, hell yes! :D

Some others:

How about Patsy and Eddie from AbFab? They were such a married couple! ;)

Bert and Ernie? lol

Missy and Eliza Dushu's character from Bring it On - I just watched it recently, did anyone else see subtext there?

X-Files: Definite chemistry between Mulder and Krychek (sp?) and later on, Scully and Reyes. They contemplated making Reyes a lesbian but unfortunately decided not to go with it.

I'll think of some others later on...

Rhapsody

taty994945
22-10-2003, 14:07
now that i think about it, in the two towers where aragorn meets legolas after everyone thought aragorn was dead, thats an extremely gay moment. :laugh:

QueenBee
22-10-2003, 16:58
Xena?! I don't understand how people found something in Xena.. I guess I should have watched all those episodes..

Mossopp
22-10-2003, 18:30
How come noone's mentioned Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo?
What about Fred from 'Scooby-Doo'?
And, speaking of the 'Scooby' cartoons, it's pretty well-known that Velma was actually a lesbian.
Anyone ever watch 'Cow & Chicken' or 'I.M. Weasel'? The Devil in both those shows is possibly the gay-est cartoon character ever!! :laugh:

Kappa
22-10-2003, 19:00
Mossopp, right on! XP The Guy With No Pants is the GAY cartoon. XP

Lux, I actually think that homoeroticism between the angels is more found more between Dylan and Alex (Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu) than between any of those two and Natalie [Cameron Diaz] (she's so straight it's not even funny). O_o A kiss between Drew and Lucy would be enough to send me into a coma for a week.

PowerPuff Grrl
22-10-2003, 22:23
Missy and Eliza Dushu's character from Bring it On - I just watched it recently, did anyone else see subtext there?

Oh yeah! I forgot about that one, good call rhapsody_au.
You could really see it when Missy looked slightly disappointed when Kirsten Dunst's character falls for Missy's brother.

rhapsody_au
23-10-2003, 09:42
Xena?! I don't understand how people found something in Xena.. I guess I should have watched all those episodes..

Oh my!!!! *faints from shock* ;) The thing that Xena is most famous for, is it's lesbian subtext between Xena and Gabrielle. By the last season, there were even a couple of references to Gabrielle being Xena's "girlfriend" and both actresses conceded their characters were in love.

Definitely start watching again! :)

Lux, I actually think that homoeroticism between the angels is more found more between Dylan and Alex (Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu) than between any of those two and Natalie [Cameron Diaz] (she's so straight it's not even funny). O_o A kiss between Drew and Lucy would be enough to send me into a coma for a week.

*faints again* Woooooohoooooooo!! I'm not alone!

Darje, you saw it too? I thought I was seeing things between Alex and Dylan, that it was just my wishful thinking! I haven't seen the second Charlie's Angel's, but a lot of my enjoyment from the first movie comes from the subtext I see between them, especially from the rumours that Lucy and Drew didn't get along at all.

So, any good subtext in the sequel? It'll give me something to look forward to! :)

You could really see it when Missy looked slightly disappointed when Kirsten Dunst's character falls for Missy's brother.

Yeah, and interesting that Eliza's character was called a "dyke" a couple of times by those two bitchy girls, (sorry, I'm bad with names, lol) so maybe it was intentional subtext from TPTB?

And speaking of homoeroticism, anyone check out Britney's latest? I must say, I like the song, and I thought the video was hot, but that's another thread... :)

Rhapsody

teeny
04-11-2003, 00:16
Originally posted by PowerPuff Grrl
For Fried Green Tomatos, it is pretty obvious, especially considering that in the book the two women were actual lesbians. I guess the studio execs wanted to tone it down.
Oh well.
Yay.. thank you for clearing my last doubts about the movie. It's one of my favorites.

Without knowing for sure: Boys on the Side and The Color Purple

@Top gun: WTF??
And in some other thread Ben-Hur was mentioned too. I still don't get it. :ithink:

Rob
08-11-2003, 03:09
Originally posted by TLFdk
... And in some other thread Ben-Hur was mentioned too. I still don't get it. :ithink:
In a documentary "Ben Hur" was mentioned as movie with gay subtext. Gore Vidal said that they went to Stephen Boyd, the actor who played "Messala", and told him about the subtext and he agreed with playing that way - but same time they couldn't tell Charlton Heston who played the character Ben Hur about it as they thought he would turn that down.

teeny
08-11-2003, 03:17
thank you for clearing that up Rob :rose:

Disengage
08-11-2003, 21:21
Morrissey concerts have always been known to have high levels of homoeroticism. Usually at some point Mozzer takes his shirt off and men from the audience will jump up on stage and throw their arms around him and sometimes kiss him.

Aeon
26-11-2003, 03:15
I think Xena defintely had the best moments of homo erotism ever seen on tv. All the bathing scenes, looks, kisses...too hot for words.
There was a french film I caught on cable the other day, can't think of the name of it yet...a really hot blonde maid was stripping for Catherine Deneuve..very erotic scene. When I find the name of it I'll repost.

Lux
28-11-2003, 06:44
Alien: Ressurection - really liked this movie, sigourney weaver's potrayal of the revived Lt. Ripley was intriguing. the dynamic between Annalee Call [Winona Ryder] and herself was also....intriguing.

Mossopp
30-11-2003, 20:58
I think any episode of Jackass or Dirty Sanchez is the most homoerotic thing you're ever gonna see on TV.
Anyone ever see that episode of Dirty Sanchez when they nailed Pritchard's dick to a piece of wood and then pulled him around the room with it? What THE HELL was that about??!!?? You can't tell me they did that purely for our 'entertainment'!
:laugh:

EeZeReal
30-11-2003, 21:15
^LMAO

Admittedely, those Welsh boys doooooooo "like" their full frontal nekkid experimentations :rolleyes: :laugh:

Lux
02-12-2003, 22:36
over turkey break i watched Interview with the Vampire a few times on tv. man, antonia banderas, brad pitt, and tom cruise all have long hair in that movie, and they all suck each others necks. or..just louis and lestat do. OY it's kind of hot but in a creepy way :none:

teeny
02-12-2003, 22:52
OY it's kind of hot but in a creepy way
Only thing creepy about Pitt in that particular movie is his eye color.. :heh:

lolitagirl
05-12-2003, 18:12
Lenny and Carl ! hello they are always together. gay

mr. burns and his man... you know that man that does everything for him. so gay

bart and milhouse hello they never explain why they are best friends they just are lol gay

luxxi
05-12-2003, 18:23
Originally posted by lolitagirl

Smithers. That is well known fact. Eg. the episode with Lisa's wedding Smithers brings cryogentically (sp?) frozen Burns as his company. So funny.

teeny
05-12-2003, 18:28
Smithers.. yeah.. with Smithers there's no doubt really..
His screensaver is with mr. Burns, and the computer start up sound: Thank you for turning me on <- said by mr. Burns.
Gotta love the Simpsons

bart and milhouse hello they never explain why they are best friends they just are lol gay
When they move to the other fatory (bombplanning place) the milhouse clon asks Bart if he is in need of a bestfriend that will do things for him for no particular reason. As far as I remember. They never do give a reason, but is a real reason really needed?

Mossopp
05-12-2003, 19:49
It's common knowledge that Smithers is gay.
I always laugh at the episode where the Gay Pride parade marches right past the Simpson house and one of the floats is a tribute to staying 'in the closet'. You can't see their faces but you can hear Smithers and Selma chanting "We're gay. We're Glad. But don't tell mom and dad!"
Classic! :laugh:

teeny
05-12-2003, 20:07
You can't see their faces but you can hear Smithers and Selma chanting "We're gay. We're Glad. But don't tell mom and dad!"
:laugh: must have missed this episode. But reminds me to add the seasons I lack at my wishlist.

Lux
05-12-2003, 20:16
on an episode where marge and homer go to talk to principal about bart, and the principal reads a file that says, "you're boy has homosexual tendencies" or something to that affect. but then the principal got the file wrong and it was really milhouse's file he read LMAO

kishkash
05-12-2003, 20:25
LOL...every thread in this forum has some hint of a simpsons mentioned in it...gotta love it :D

Anyway i remember another episode when Smithers was told to take a vacation by Burns coz Burns said that he could take care of himself. Anyway...guess where Smithers kept calling to check up on Burns from...a gay cruise :D

Burns is totally unaware of the fact that Smithers loves him LOL

teeny
05-12-2003, 20:31
Anyway i remember another episode when Smithers was told to take a vacation by Burns coz Burns said that he could take care of himself. Anyway...guess where Smithers kept calling to check up on Burns from...a gay cruise
Yeah it's the one where Smithers gets Homer to take care of mr. Burns, to avoid competition. And Homer ends up punching mr. Burns. So in the end mr. Burns is totally independent of Smithers. Of course Smithers fixes the problem with some help from Homer..

LOL...every thread in this forum has some hint of a simpsons mentioned in it...gotta love it :D
:lalala: "I didn't do it"

rhapsody_au
06-12-2003, 09:59
Do you remember the "Lisa Lionheart" episode?

Lisa and Smithers were looking up something on his computer, and his screensaver or whatever comes up, and its an almost naked Burns saying something like:

"Hello Smithers. You are good at turning me on."

LMAO :lol:

Rhapsody

teeny
06-12-2003, 12:42
Lisa and Smithers were looking up something on his computer, and his screensaver or whatever comes up, and its an almost naked Burns
Wu hu.. I almost got it right then :D But must say I remember it for sure

oasischuan
09-12-2003, 03:58
Rebel Without A Cause(1955) -- the ultimate teenage film and underlying homosexual film starring James Dean.

luxxi
10-12-2003, 11:23
Does Mr. Garisson in South Park counts?

There was this scene where military was ordered to destroy every towel in 20 mile radious. They burst into changing room where Mr Garisson is changing. They pull towel of him and he yells "OK, have your evil ways with me." Soldiers throws the towel on the floor, shoot at it and leave. "Hey, where are you going?" yells Garisson. :D

taty994945
11-12-2003, 08:08
i remember a seinfeld episode about this type of thing

Mossopp
11-12-2003, 19:42
Oh, you mean the "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" episode? :laugh:

freddie
11-12-2003, 23:35
Mr. Smithers is gay as Boy George. Observe! (http://www.area51newmexico.com/simpsons/simpsons_smithers.html) :p

ypsidan04
12-12-2003, 00:54
I dunno if anyone's mentioned it, but there's one episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer that I've seen that has a fairly explicit scene with Alyson Hannigan and Amber Benson's characters in bed together. If those two are straight (which I find hard to believe, but I have no idea), then they sure can put a good act on. :hmmm: :D

taty994945
12-12-2003, 03:46
Oh, you mean the "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" episode?

that's the one, lmao

and in the end kramer goes "his the telephone guy!....not that there's anything wrong that" :D