PDA

View Full Version : Russian Ark; Has anybody heard of this?

PowerPuff Grrl
17-04-2003, 05:03
Hey, I just came from seeing Bend It Like Beckham (which was overrated, IMHO) but anyhoo the only thing that caught my eye was one of the trailers.

I knew from the trailer that the movie had to be a non-English speaking one, because there was no dialogue throughout the trailer (that is how Foriegn films usually get marketed). Anyhoo, the movie is called Russian Ark, there was a Russian title but it was in Cyrrilic.
You can check it out here (www.wellspring.com/russianark/home.html).

The way how they presented the movie wasn't really in a traditional fashion. I have no idea what this movie is about.
All I know is;
-2000 thousand actors are in it
-3 orchestras are featured
-the entire film is in one shot
-the entire film is in one take
-etc

Thus, making it one of a kind.
And obviously it was critically acclaimed everywhere, at least that what it said in the promo.

So, has anybody heard of this movie?
Is it really cool?
Is it art house shit?
Do tell, I am most interested.

QueenBee
17-04-2003, 17:37
The entire movie is one shot? Wow! That's something.. I should check this out. ^_^ Cant wait to hear from people who have actually seen/know anything about this.

surferchickSD
17-04-2003, 17:42
has the movie been released where you live? because its only in like one theatre where I'm at.

Disengage
06-05-2003, 01:40
Hahaha funny how I just noticed this thread now because I'm on my way out to see this movie in a minute. I'll let ya know what I think.

EDIT: I saw this movie last night. Wow.. it's like nothing I've seen before. Yes it is all filmed in one shot. Basically the camera/narrator and a French man walk together throughout the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. As they proceed, the time period constatly changes as they experience different people and different things that have occured in the Hermitage. It is like an art film crossed with a history lesson. At times I had a hard time following it and I think I would need to see it again before I can form an opinion.

daydreamer0102
19-05-2003, 21:22
whoa....i gotta find some info on this movie *nods*

KooReeT
20-05-2003, 00:08
Yea my brother is a manager/projectionist in a Movie theatre down here and he has Bend it like Beckam. I'll see if the movie has the trailor. Regardless, he gets trailors in every week so I must find something!

0newinged
20-05-2003, 22:53
All in one shot? O_o interesting concept. I wonder how long it took to plan out?

MrZebra
18-07-2003, 04:23
Yeah, I've heard of the movie, wanted to see it actually but missed out.

Now on HTF, there is a discussion about the upcoming DVD and that's where I found out about the one shot thing...

I'm now thinking about buying the DVD even though I haven't seen the movie before (Something I rarely do)