PDA

View Full Version : wanna write in Cyrillic (Russian)

ilialex
07-03-2003, 11:11
if you wanna write in Cyrillic (Russian script) and dont have Russian letters on the keyboard, then go to:

http://mymajesty.wallst.ru/

here're the rules:

а - a й - j у - u э - eh
б - b к - k ф - f ю - yu
в - v л - l х - h я - ya
г - g м - m ц - c
д - d н - n ч - ch
е - e о - o ш - sh
ё - yo п - p щ - th
ж - zh р - r ъ - ^
з - z с - s ы - y
и - i т - t ь - '

So Yulia's name is Юля
And HUI VOINE (fcuk the war) is ХУЙ ВОЙНЕ

ilialex
07-03-2003, 11:21
if you dont see the Russian letters right, make sure you use the right encoding. For IE go to View -> Encoding -> and choose Cyrillic (Windows)

for Netscape change Character Set to Cyrillic (Windows)

if Cyrillic (Windows) doesn't do it right, try other Cyrillic encodings, usually either Cyrillic (Windows) or Cyrillic (KOI8-R) will work

ternae
07-03-2003, 13:07
ok... there's something i don't understand, if what you wrote was the russian cyrillic of fuck war , what kind of letters did they use on their shirts coz it wasn't that....??

ilialex
07-03-2003, 13:57
make sure you use the right encoding, read the posting on how to set the right one.

XYU BOUHE (fcuk the war)

Kouketsuno Rei
07-03-2003, 14:13
It's ironic that you posted that cause I was just brushing up on some cyrillic myself. Of course, I don't really have too many resources at hand to help me just yet, so my dinky little windows character map has been serving me just fine for now. It's probably not the most accurate thing available, but it works :D

Hopefully, I can get into the Russian class offered at my college next quarter. I need another language course since I finished all the friggin' Japanese courses offered...which weren't a lot. :rolleyes: So, what better than Russian!

vasilisaglebova
07-03-2003, 18:32
Here's another site where you can translate latin characters into cyrillic:

http://www.ostrovok.de/filimon/

You can also find by doing a search for "Filimon 2.2.5"

Vasilisa Glebova

L_Katina
07-03-2003, 21:51
was it actually FCUK the war or FUCK the war?! is that a stupid question!?

Jan
07-03-2003, 23:49
hmm...not a very bright one.
FCUK in russian- how do you imagine that? and- what would it have to do with anything?

it was , to be exact "dick to the war", ( ХУЙ is DICK in russian)
can be translated as "fuck the war", but not really.
They meant that they are against the war, though, that's for sure.

Charles
08-03-2003, 00:46
You can't translate any idiomatic expression exactly. However, after reading the examples and usage of ХУЙ in a dictionary of Russian slang, I'd say "fuck" is a very good match.

So far, I've been surprised how many nouns in Russian are cognate to English once you get past the cyrillic alphabet.

ilialex
08-03-2003, 10:20
Once you learn the Cyrillic, you can easily read Russian, there are no exceptions like in English, you just read letter by letter, it's very easy. And since Russian and English are both Indo-European languages, you could even understand some. The lexis of English and Russian is about 40% similar. The grammar is a bit complicated, but it's not hard.

ilialex
08-03-2003, 10:29
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/7635/alphabet.html

Charles
08-03-2003, 23:50
I wouldn't say there are no exceptions, but the exceptions are all according to rules. I've gotten the impression you might be able to ignore some of these rules and just have a funny accent. It isn't like you won't have an accent anyway... LOL

MrZebra
10-03-2003, 00:22
I was reading the titles of the forum sections in Russian and realised that there are quite a few words in Russian that are the same as in english (Minus the pronounciation which is different)...

If Star Trek fans can learn Klingon, t.A.T.u. fans can learn Russian! Only difference is, we are learning a REAL language!

MrZebra
12-03-2003, 05:26
Using Windows XP (It might work in earlier versions) you can install multiple keyboard layouts. I just installed the Russian one... Now I have to make myself a guide to know what key on my keyboard is what letter...

QWERTYUIOP -> ЙЦУКЕНГШЩЗ

Now as I learn more and more russian on this site, this will actually be useful hehe!

Jan
12-03-2003, 07:18
MrZebra, and everyone who doesn't want to remember all the russian keys- check out the link a give in another thread!

You can have all russian letters phoneticly matched to the english ones on your keyboard!

ilialex
12-03-2003, 08:29
or u can just buy russian keyboard or stickers

http://www.webideas.bigstep.com/

http://www.cyrillicstore.com/

http://www.worldlanguage.com/Products/Russian/Keyboards/Page1.htm

or just try ebay.com

Jan
12-03-2003, 18:26
ilialex, then you'd still have to learn all the keys anew+ spend money.

Echoed
14-03-2003, 02:16
What's really funny is my way of typing in Cyrillic: I don't. Lol. I go the long and arduous path of using the "Insert" option in my Word program. Lol.

My laziness is illogical in this way. *Laughs.*

~Echo.

MrZebra
14-03-2003, 05:08
I used to do that too! But now that I have the keyboard setup (The modded version that has keys in the same place as in english) I can type up the text on the liner notes of the Russian album in Babelfish!

One thing I find weird, at work (Win ME), I have a .txt file containing the titles of all the albums I listen to (To compile a weekly chart) and in Notepad, if I hit Alt-Shift it only switches between English and French keyboards without going through Russian in the cycle. If I right click the "EN" on the taskbar, "RU - Russian" is grayed out!

Now if I open the same document in Wordpad, I can turn on the Russian keyboard and type t.A.T.u.'s album title properly "200 По Встречной" then save it and reopen it in Notepad it shows as "200 ?? ?????????".

At home (Win XP Pro) I can type Cyrillic in Notepad with no problem.

Another similar problem (On both OSes) is when using Vorbis Comment Tags (Equiv. of ID3 Tags in OGG files) using WinAmp. Can't choose Russian Keyboard, and if I paste cyrillic text, I get ?'s. I can however, rename a file in Cyrillic. but if I try to encode a WAV file with a cyrillic filename to OGG I get an error.

I have this program that displays the song title in the middle of the screen everytime the song changes, it would look cool to have t.A.T.u. songs in Cyrillic!

ilialex
14-03-2003, 09:18
MrZebra, try this

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/

there might be some answers

MrZebra
15-03-2003, 06:22
When I go in Edit - Fonts in Notepad (Under WinME) I see a drop down for Font "Script" it was set to western. If I change it to Cyrillic, I can now type Russian characters. Under XP, I can mix Cyrillic letters and French Accented letters without a problem.

Same goes for Sound Control, I can set the font to Cyrillic Encoding, which means that if Song Titles have cyrillic in them it will display them, but WinAmp's Tag Editor has the encoding set to Western and no option to change it. Maybe I can try a separate tag editor to put the song titles in Cyrillic. Ogg Vorbis is an open source project with people working on it everywhere, so I'm sure someone wrote a tag editor that will let me put t.A.T.u.'s songs in cyrillic.