PDA

View Full Version : Learning German

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 03:03
Well, I figured since I half-assed the Russian thread. We should at least have a half-assed German thread!

Is anyone interested!? I'd be happy to teach you some things to navigate your way through the various "Städte" (Shtete) a.k.a. cities of Deutschland!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

LINKS TO POSTS CONTAINING GERMAN COURSES

Verb Conjugation: Kommen (http://forum.tatysite.net/showpost.php?p=346971&postcount=8)

Learning German Articles: Der, Die and Das! (http://forum.tatysite.net/showpost.php?p=347086&postcount=27)

German Articles: Der, Die and Das | Re-Explained & Easier to Understand (http://forum.tatysite.net/showpost.php?p=347110&postcount=35)

Los Geht's: Wer bist du? | Erste Stufe (http://forum.tatysite.net/showpost.php?p=347402&postcount=50)

Los Geht's & Erste Stufe Study Guide (http://forum.tatysite.net/showpost.php?p=347553&postcount=62)

QueenBee
09-04-2007, 03:10
YAY. :D

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 03:13
Haha! I love you Queenie.

Woot - I pick up French next year as well! Yay Language <333

QueenBee
09-04-2007, 03:21
You totally knew I was gonna be soooo happy about this :gigi:

I love you Queenie.
I love you too!

Woot - I pick up French next year as well! Yay Language <333
Maybe you can teach us :p French is so beautiful, but unfortunately I think I've sort of given up on my dream of learning French... it just seems so difficult. :(

Okay I'm gonna get my German notebook ready!

Amanda
09-04-2007, 03:32
Ohh I'm interested. Couldn't hurt. :p -bookmarks thread-

Is there a "Learning Spanish" thread too? I looked a while back and got nothing. :confused:

QueenBee
09-04-2007, 03:36
TreIsCool32, as far as I remember, there's not... maybe a Spanish speaking member can help us out? :) I took Spanish for 4,5 years but I can only say "Hola" :p The only thing I could help with would be exercises, I've got a lot of those...

-Adruz-
09-04-2007, 03:41
I'm learniing german! :p

I took Spanish for 4,5 years but I can only say "Hola"

haha, really? I don't believe you.

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 04:01
Alright, so lets start with the basics of verb conjugation for Nominative Case.

The imporant thing to remember when learning a foreign language - is that they do not operate like New Age English does. Your verbs in English have no definate ending to them. You can say "I Come From" and "You Come From" and it's correct both ways, because in Modern English - you do not change the ending of the verb you are using. If you did not understand that - please re-read until you do. It's crucial to understanding what is below. However - saying "Ich Komme Aus" (I come from) and "Du Komme Aus" (You come from) - is incorrect in German, because each verb has to have a different ending depending on if you use He, She, It, etc". If you are familiar with Russian or any other Slavic languages, this concept will be easy for you. Any time you use a Pro-noun (I, Me, You, etc) you will need to change the case ending on the verb (Run, dance, sing, etc) that you use. Here is a chart to help break it down, just ask if you have questions. I will bold the way you change the endings on verbs below so you have a visual image of how to format verbs so that they agree with their pronouns.

In this chart we will be using the verb "To Come" or "Come From"
This verb is known as "Kommen"

Ich (I) komme
Du (You) - kommst
Er (He) - kommt
Sie (She) - kommt
Es (It) - kommt
Wir (We) - kommen
Ihr (You Pl.) - kommt
Sie (You Formal) - kommen
Sie (They) - kommen

All of these are ways to say "____ Comes (From)"

As you can see, the endings that are bolded show how you change the pronouns and the verbs so that they match each other to form a correct German sentence! You're well on your way to mastering German if you can understand this concept, so study and memorize it!

This is important becuase - any verb you use in German will function this way, with the exact same case endings, unless it is an irregular verb. And even irreular verbs have only small changes like removing an "e" from the forms of "Ich" and removing the t from "Er, Sie, Es"

Now - this may sound like a big jumble of random German words, but you really really will find this very simple after you memorize that chart and can plug in your knolwedge of German pronouns into all of this that I've typed!

If any of you are familiar with Shakespeare you'll recognize how English and German are similar.
Example: I know not = I don't know
Thou knowest not = You do not know

Do you see how the verb's ending changes when you use either "I" or "You" in Old English? - This is because English is a language that has many roots in German. So many things will be similar!

Please let me know if you've got any questions! I'll be happy to further explain!

volk1
09-04-2007, 04:09
The imporant thing to remember when learning a foreign language - is that they do not operate like New Age English does. Your verbs in English have no definate ending to them. You can say "I Come From" and "You Come From" and it's correct both ways.

Actually, we also must conjugate verbs. It's just not noticed so much as we are used to speaking it so often.

FOR EXAMPLE:

"to be"
I am
You are
He/She is
It is
We are
They are

"to do"
I do
You do
He/She does
It does
We do
They do

...as can be shown with many other verbs in the English language.

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 04:14
Actually, we also must conjugate verbs. It's just not noticed so much as we are used to speaking it so often.

FOR EXAMPLE:

"to be"
I am
You are
He/She is
It is
We are
They are

"to do"
I do
You do
He/She does
It does
We do
They do

...as can be shown with many other verbs in the English language.

Haha, I should have been more specific. I meant that in English - you don't change how your verb is conjuaged for EVERY pronoun, as you do in German. Also - when you conjugate in English - you don't have the same ending on each different verb for every time you use the same pronoun.

But my dear Lisa, you are indeed correctomundo on that example.

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 04:27
Beautiful conjuation -Adruz-

volk1
09-04-2007, 04:43
But my dear Lisa, you are indeed correctomundo on that example.

:coctail:

Amy_Lee_Rocks
09-04-2007, 04:48
Is there a "Learning Spanish" thread too? I looked a while back and got nothing. :confused:

uuuu! i can help you with Mexican spanish :kawai:

Amanda
09-04-2007, 04:53
Thanks Tim and Lisa for the information. :D

I know a fair bit of Spanish. :p I just want to further it a lot more. Someone (or I can) should start the thread! :)

-Adruz-
09-04-2007, 04:58
Beautiful conjuation -Adruz-

Ouu.. I deleted it, cuz I thought it would bother you. You're the teacher here :p

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 05:05
Haha! Of course not!

I know I'm a bitch but I'm not THAT much of a bitch lol!

Is everyone finding what I wrote up there understandable though?

Amy_Lee_Rocks
09-04-2007, 05:41
I know a fair bit of Spanish. :p I just want to further it a lot more. Someone (or I can) should start the thread! :)

Go ahead, start it, and me and some other spanish
speaking members will help you

-Adruz-
09-04-2007, 05:45
Go ahead, start it, and me and some other spanish
speaking members will help you

I agree

the unforgiven
09-04-2007, 11:51
OMG! this thread reminds me that I've studied german for 5 years ... hmmm maybe 7 haha! I don't even remember it
my remaining is this beautiful sentence : Ich bin ein Ameisenbär :p

Good luck for german :rose:
interesting thread anyway

freddie
09-04-2007, 18:49
Do you see how the verb's ending changes when you use either "I" or "You" in Old English? - This is because English is a language that has many roots in German. So many things will be similar!

Technically speaking both English and German as Germanic languages derive their roots from ancient Proto-Germanic language (which in itself was only a derivative of Proto-Indo-European).

OMG! this thread reminds me that I've studied german for 5 years ... hmmm maybe 7 haha! I don't even remember it

Me too. Four years for me. And I still can't speak for shit. Goes to show you we're bound to forget just about everything we learn at school. :p

QueenBee
09-04-2007, 19:02
Is it supposed to be "Ich Komme" or can it be "Ich komme"? I thought only nouns had capital letters in the beginning?

Argos
09-04-2007, 19:18
Is it supposed to be "Ich Komme" or can it be "Ich komme"? I thought only nouns had capital letters in the beginning?
...and you are right! :done:

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 19:23

It's "Ich komme" - as Argos said.

And you're also correct - only nouns have capital letters :) -

Is anyone else ready to learn some sentences and how to format them?

freddie
09-04-2007, 20:49
First explain to me why a table is male. I never understood that. It's so clearly female when you look at it. :p

the unforgiven
09-04-2007, 21:17
First explain to me why a table is male. I never understood that. It's so clearly female when you look at it
Spaaaaartan! you have a fetish with the "sex" of the words! seriously
that reminds me when you asked me about french words haha! you rock
I totally spoil this thread, sorry

so all that I can say, if I'm not wrong, is that the verb is always in second in a sentence (maybe there's exceptions, but I don't know them lol)

Winkie
09-04-2007, 21:52
Haha mein Deutsch ist überslecht, aber ich habe es studiert for 5 Jahre. Mann. Aber es ist eine schöne Sprache.
Blegh I suck at German these days.. :roll: Think I'm gonna follow this thread, to get my German back on. And about the Spanish thread, Spanish rocks so please :D I really wanna improve my Spanish.

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 22:16
First explain to me why a table is male. I never understood that. It's so clearly female when you look at it. :p

Haha, I guess this would be a good time to introduce the articles of the German Language.

The word "The" in English can be translated to either "Der, Die or Das" in German.

There are more Der words than Die words, and more Die words than Das words - my meaning by "Der/Die/Das words is because - every object in German has a "The" before it. When referring to somthing in formal German you refer to it as "The ____"

Here is a chart to memorize the genders for each "The"

Der - (Male) The (Only use Den when you are not beginning a sentence, otherwise use "Der")
Die - (She or Plural) The
Das - (She) - The/That

In response to somthing being a "The", it also has to be an "it" So - here is the reason why a table is a HE!

The German word table (Tisch) uses the word "Der" or "Den" - which translates to the HE form of The.

The "it" form for any German word will be just like the chart on the last page "Er, Sie, or Es" - He/She/it.

Der - Er | The (Male) - He
Die - Sie | The (Female) - It
Das - Es | The (Neuter) - She

So if a table is a Der (Male) word - then the IT form if it would be "er" since that is also the male form of He/she/it.

If you have questions from this point on - please re-read this or ask me about it. This is crucial to understand

Examples

Der Tisch ist alt, und sehr gross. - The table is old, and very big!

Das Madchen ist schon sechzehn, aber es nicht zu alt! - The girl is already 16, but she's not to old!

Die schule ist gross und sie ist neu! - The school is big and it is new!

So - have you grasped the concept of using the German "The" and the German "Its" together - if so, make up some sentences of your own in English - but replacing the words "It" and "The" with either Der/Die/Das and Er/Sie/Es

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 22:20
Haha mein Deutsch ist überslecht, aber ich habe es studiert for 5 Jahre. Mann. Aber es ist eine schöne Sprache. Blegh I suck at German these days.. :roll: Think I'm gonna follow this thread, to get my German back on. And about the Spanish thread, Spanish rocks so please :D I really wanna improve my Spanish.

Beautiful sentence :)

See - it's easy for me to do! In a few weeks you guys can do all this too! :)

QueenBee
09-04-2007, 22:36
Haha, I guess this would be a good time to introduce the articles of the German Language.

The word "The" in English can be translated to either "Der, Die or Das" in German.

There are more Der words than Die words, and more Die words than Das words - my meaning by "Der/Die/Das words is because - every object in German has a "The" before it. When referring to somthing in formal German you refer to it as "The ____"

Here is a chart to memorize the genders for each "The"

Der - (Male) The (Only use Der when you are not beginning a sentence, otherwise use "Den")
Das - (She) - The/That

In response to somthing being a "The", it also has to be an "it" So - here is the reason why a table is a HE!

The German word table (Tisch) uses the word "Der" or "Den" - which translates to the HE form of The.

The "it" form for any German word will be just like the chart on the last page "Er, Sie, or Es" - He/She/it.

Der - Er | The (Male) - He
Die - Es | The (Female) - It
Das - Sie | The (Neuter) - She

So if a table is a Der (Male) word - then the IT form if it would be "er" since that is also the male form of He/she/it.

If you have questions from this point on - please re-read this or ask me about it. This is crucial to understand

Examples

Den Tisch ist alt, und sehr gross. - The table is old, and very big!

Das Madchen ist schon sechzehn, aber sie nicht zu alt! - The girl is already 16, but she's not to old!

Die schule ist gross und es ist neu! - The school is big and it is new!

So - have you grasped the concept of using the German "The" and the German "Its" together - if so, make up some sentences of your own in English - but replacing the words "It" and "The" with either Der/Die/Das and Er/Sie/Es

:none:.

the unforgiven
09-04-2007, 22:48
lmao @ Queenie come on girl!

Talyubittu, are you fluent in german?

QueenBee
09-04-2007, 22:53
I wrote it down, but... dude.

Talyubittu
09-04-2007, 23:46
lmao @ Queenie come on girl!

Talyubittu, are you fluent in german?

No, I haven't even had a year of it yet. I'm just finishing my first year of German now :)

Queenie - I'll explain more to help you through it ok. I typed that in a very unorganized fashion.

QueenBee
09-04-2007, 23:47
Talyubittu, that's okay, I think I got it!

the unforgiven
10-04-2007, 00:02
No, I haven't even had a year of it yet. I'm just finishing my first year of German now
I think we're gonna have some fun in this thread! hehe

Talyubittu
10-04-2007, 00:22
Ok, since a few of you are having trouble with the chart above, I'm going to make a new one for you guys, and explain it in a bit more simple fashion.

All nouns in German have a "The" in front of them. Where English only has one word for "The", Germans have three. Each one of these three indicates a different gender. The German words for "The" are listed below.

Der - Male
Die - Female - Plural
Das - It

The word "Der" - indicates that whatever object you are talking about, is Male. It can be a person, a table or a book or anything else under the sun. But remember - anytime you are using Der - your word will be male. The word "Der" can also be used as "Den". The only time you will replace the word "Der" with "Den" is when you are beginning a sentence with the word "The".

For Example:

Der Tisch ist alt! - The table is old.

Alt, ist der Tisch! - Old, is the table.

Both of these examples above are ways to use "The" - notice when the word "The" is beginning the sentence it is "Den". The 2nd sentence, uses "Der" because it's not starting the sentence.

Now - the thing is - you can't just randomly add Der, Die or Das to any word you want. Every noun in German is either Der, Die or Das - millions of words with either Der, Die or Das, but don't worry, you don't have to memorize them. You just need to remember what I'm saying now, and familiarize yourself with these articles.

The same rules as above apply to ANY German noun, you just have to know whether it's a Der, Die, or Das word :)

Remember from yesterday, learning the Er/Sie/Es (He/She/It)?

Well if you've memorized that, you're on your way to learning German! This is probably the most complicated thing in German, but it's actually very easy!

If Der, Die and Das are used as "The", and either one of them means He, She or It, all you have to know to finnish a sentence using them is Er, Sie and Es!

Because German uses either He, She or It, for "The", wouldn't it make sense for them also to use He, She and It for the word "it"? Because they do! There are three ways to say It essentially in German, just like The! - See thats not that hard of a concept to grasp!

For Example

Der Tisch ist alt, aber er ist gross! - The table is old, but it is big!

See how Den/Der is the male word for The? - When referring to the table as "It" later in the sentence you will use the male word for it, which is "Er" or "He"

For Der - You will use ER - Because they are both male.
For Die - You will use SIE - Because they are bot Female
For Das - You will use ES - Because they are both Neutral

Hopefully this makes it a little more clear! Just let me know if you have any questions after this :).

Talyubittu
10-04-2007, 00:23
I think we're gonna have some fun in this thread! hehe

Haha - why is that

MODERATORS - Please don't merge my posts. After awhile I'm going to link to the post containing the lessons in the first post in the topic - I don't want the lesson posts merged with the "talking" posts. Thank you! :)

the unforgiven
10-04-2007, 10:23
Haha - why is that
because german is not easy to learn and I guess if you just learn it for one year, after the basics we will encounter some problems lol and it's gonna be fun
see my point?
and no offence, I really think it's gonna be fun to try to fing solutions to our problems haha!

btw, I just realise that I don't have any ß on my keyboard hehe! my bad :p

Arnaudfrenchy
10-04-2007, 11:34
Ach !
Wunderbar !

Ein deutsches topic um diese tolle fremdsprache zu lernen !

Dar interessiert mich sehr !

Dankesch?n Talyubittu ! :D

"Ich was nicht was soll es bedeuten,
Das ich so traurig bin..."

Kennen sie ? :)

Das war ein bischen schwer zu lernen aber das war ein Erfolg ^^

Talyubittu, it's "der Tisch", because it's nominative, not accusative ;)

And
Der is for Male
Die is for Female
Das is for a thing.

After it will depends on the grammar, on the gender, on the number etc...

furby93
10-04-2007, 12:07
Haha mein Deutsch ist überslecht, aber ich habe es studiert for 5 Jahre. Mann. Aber es ist eine schöne Sprache.

So schlecht ist es gar nicht.:D

Argos
10-04-2007, 17:46
Der - (Male) The (Only use Der when you are not beginning a sentence, otherwise use "Den")
Das - (She) - The/That
Sorry for correction, but ...
der - er - male - (the - he)
die - sie - female (the - she)
das - es - neutre (the - it)
die (plural, all genders) - sie (the - they)
REM: den is the Accusative form of der, the text in brackets above is incorrect.

Examples

Den Tisch ist alt, und sehr gross. - The table is old, and very big!

Das Madchen ist schon sechzehn, aber sie nicht zu alt! - The girl is already 16, but she's not to old!

Die schule ist gross und es ist neu! - The school is big and it is new!
correct:
Der Tisch ist alt und sehr gross.
Das Maedchen(*) ist schon sechzehn, aber es ist nicht zu alt. //(*)if you can read german umlaut correct in your browser, then: Mädchen
Die Schule ist gross und sie ist neu.

Talyubittu
10-04-2007, 19:42
You are correct, my mistake, woops.

I should have known that Die and Sie - went together.

I guess thats what happens when you over think your German and try to write up a lesson while watching TV lol. It won't happen again =].

Sorry guys!

anml
10-04-2007, 22:11
After reading the first post(lesson), If i want to say "I Come From USA" It would be like "Ich komme USA"? :confused:

Arnaudfrenchy
10-04-2007, 22:21
Ich komme aus USA. :)

And the question will be :
Woher kommen Sie (formal) / kommst-du ?

"Woher" is for the place where you come from
"Wohin" is for the place where you are going.

Example : Wohin gehst du ?
Ich gehe in Frankreich.

Woher kommst-du ?
Ich komme aus USA.

This is for a movement.

If you want to say : i am from USA, it's "ich bin aus USA"

anml
10-04-2007, 22:29
Thx Arnaudfrenchy :rose:

Arnaudfrenchy
10-04-2007, 23:11
I can't wait for the lessons with irregular verbs (pr?t?rit etc... ^^)

It will be so much fun :D

Talyubittu
11-04-2007, 01:23
Irregular verbs are fun...I'll post a lesson later today.

Argos
11-04-2007, 17:45
I don't know whether you asked that question seriously, but in case you really want to know...
This is the unofficial argos-explanation. Wooden products have a strong tendency towards male grammatical gender, especially carpenters' crafts.

Arnaudfrenchy, to improve your already excellent german:
Example : Wohin gehst du ?
Ich gehe in Frankreich.
In german we say: Ich gehe nach Frankreich.

haku
11-04-2007, 18:28
Regarding the logic (or lack of) of grammatical genders in European languages…

From what i've read, the original 3 genders in Proto-Indo-European were "inanimate", "animate with male qualities", and "animate with female qualities". That seems logical enough, except that Proto-Indo-European people were animist and many things or objects that we consider inanimate today were considered animate by them… plants, animals, natural elements and phenomenas like water, fire, wind, storms, thunder, rivers, mountains, etc, and also many objects manufactured by man were all considered animate with male or female qualities.
Of course with time the system became less and less logical and more and more arbitrary in daughter languages.

fanoff
11-04-2007, 20:27
I used to take German lessons two years ago,but that was not important at all and i thought it was difficult.I slightly remember things,like names of countries,Deutschland,Östreich(could be written wrong) means Austria,Griechenland-Greece,Türkei-Turkey,Frankreich-France were interesting to me.And it's funny to call the board female!

Talyubittu
11-04-2007, 21:02
Alright, lets continue with the exercise I promised you guys!

Today we're going to learn how to enguage in conversation in German! I'm going to post a 6 part dialouge that will have some intermediate German, but nothing to difficult! I'll also be posting what I call a "Stufe" (Shtew-Fuh), a short vocabulary list that will help you on your way to understanding not only the dialouge but much more complex German later down the road! This particular dialouge will deal with going to and from school, and meeting people! However, the words and phrases you will learn will come in handy other places, as these are the foundations to all of German! To make it fun, I"ll use actual characters from the forum as people who are speaking!

LOS GEHT'S! Lets Go!
Wer Bist Du?

Part One
QueenBee: Hallo, Talyubittu!
Talyubittu: Hallo!
QueenBee: Ist das dein Moped?
Talyubittu: Ja, es ist!
QueenBee: Super, Klasse!
Talyubittu: Ich komme jetzt immer mit dem Moped zur Schule!
QueenBee: Ach ja! Du bist jetzt sechzehn!

Part Two

Talyubittu: Hallo! Wer bist du denn? Bist du neu hier?
Anml: Ja, Ich bin neu hier.
Talyubittu: Und wie heißt du?
Anml: Ich heiße Anml.

Part Three

Talyubittu: Das ist QueenBee.
Anml: Morgen, QueenBee!
QueenBee: Guten Morgen, Anml! Woher kommst du denn?
Anml: Aus Peru.
Talyubittu: Peru? Wo liegt denn Peru?
Anml: In Südamerika.

Part Four

QueenBee: Schau mal! Da kommt der* Haku. Hallo, Haku!
Haku: Hallo, QueenBee! Hallo, Talyubittu! Was gibt's?
Talyubittu: Sag mal, Haku, ist morgen Training?
Haku: Ja, klar! Um 3 Uhr.

Part Five

Anml:Ich bin Anml. Wie heißt du?
Haku: Haku Özkan.
Anml: Wie bitte? Öz...
QueenBee: Ich buchstabier's für dich. Ö-Z-K-A-N (Erts, Set, Ka, Ah, En). Stimmt doch, oder?
Haku: Ja, das stimmt!
Anml: Also, einfach! Und woher bist du?
Haku: Aus der Normandie.

Part Six

Talyubittu: Haku ist der beste Mann bei uns im Team. Die Nummer Eins!
Anml: Ja, prima!
Ahmet: Schon gut, wiedersehen!
QueenBee: Wiedersehen!
Talyubittu: Tschau!

* - der before a proper name is only used in some dialects of German. It is not however used in proper German.

Erste Stufe | Vocabulary One

Saying Hello and Goodbye

Guten Morgen - Good Morning!
Morgen - Morning!
Guten Tag! - Hello!
Tag! - Hi
Hallo - Hi
Grüß Dich! - Hi
Auf Wiedersehen! - Bye!
Tschüs! - Bye
Tschau! - Bye
Bis dann! - See you later!

Asking someone's name, and giving yours

Heißen - To be called
Wie heißt du? - Whats your name?
Ich heiße... - My name is...
Wie heißt das Mädchen?
Sie heißt... - Her name is...
Wie heißt der Junge? - What's the boys name?
Er heißt... - His name is...
Heißt sie...? Is her name...?
Ja - Yes
Nein - No

Asking who someone is

Wer ist das? - Who is that?
Das ist... - That is
Herr - Mr.
Frau - Mrs.
der Lehrer - Teacher (Male)
die Lehrerin - Teacher (Female)
der Deutschlehrer - German Teacher (Male)
die Deutschlehrerin - German Teacher (Female)
der Junge - Boy
das Mädchen - Girl

Definite Articles

der - The
die - The
Das - The

Useful Words

Und - And
Also, einfach! - That's easy!
Ach ja! - Oh, yeah!
Ja, klar! - Of course!
Prima! - Great!

Numbers

Eins
Zwei
Drei
Vier
Fünf
Sechs
Sieben
Acht
Neun
Zehn
Elf
Zwölf
Dreizehn
Vierzehn
Fünfzehn
Sechzehn
Siebzehn
Achtzehn
Neunzehn
Zwanzig

Using Umlauts and Es-Seht

Ä - Either "Eh" or "Aye"
Ö - Ur
Ü - Ouh (Kind of pucker your lips up)
ß - This is called an Es-Seht - it makes the "ss" sound. (Heißt = Heisst)

Pronunciation

ie - Eee
ei - Eye
au - Oww

Something To Note

V - When the first letter in a German word has the "F" sound to it, faintly though. So the number "Vier" should be pronounced "Fier"

G - When at the end of a German word - will produce a "K" sound. So the word "Tag" should be pronounced "Tak"

W - Is ALWAYS a V in German. No matter what the word! German's have no words with the "Wuh" sound, so there is no need for it. However, there is a need for the V sound, and since the German V sounds like an F - the W takes this place!

I would suggest making flaschards for this set of vocabulary! You learn fastest this way! Make a set of flash cards, and keep them in your pocket! Any time you have free time, say...you're watching TV and a comercial comes on, take out your cards and practice! Just keep practicing over and over, and you'll finally be able to read parts of the dialouge! Each little dialouge like the one above, will have three sections of vocabulary called "Stufe's" like I said above. - This is only the first part of the Stufe. Once I'm sure everyone has a good feel for it, I'll post up the 2nd Stufe! I know it may seem complicated right now, but don't worry, it's really easy!

Bonus: Talyubittu ist der Deutschlehrer. - Who can translate this for me?

Arnaudfrenchy
11-04-2007, 21:24
Arnaudfrenchy, to improve your already excellent german:

In german we say: Ich gehe nach Frankreich.

i totally forgot that *kick myself lol*

Thank you Argos :)

Sabeena
11-04-2007, 21:33
After 5 years of learning German...im pretty much sick of it...mainly because the school forced me to study it :bum: one sentence i will always remember is.. nein vater, i habe schuhe gehort well i think its that.. and means no father, i listened to a shoe again im not sure :D

Talyubittu
11-04-2007, 22:52
I don't understand how someone can take a language for years, and still not know it :-/

Kyro
11-04-2007, 23:01
I don't understand how someone can take a language for years, and still not know it :-/
Languages are something that most people have to use/practice a lot to remember, even if they like the language. If you don't enjoy learning it, or often even if you do, then once you stop practicing it doesn't take long to forget it.

the unforgiven
11-04-2007, 23:28
first year of german is sweet! beware the others lol
on this one I totally agree with Kyro
plus, if the language is difficult it's harder to remember it when you stop practicing :yes:

anml
12-04-2007, 00:19
hahaha idont undestand what im saying, just some words :laugh:
Thx Talyubittu for all the time your taking doing this :rose: :rose: :rose:

Talyubittu
12-04-2007, 05:20
Languages are something that most people have to use/practice a lot to remember, even if they like the language. If you don't enjoy learning it, or often even if you do, then once you stop practicing it doesn't take long to forget it.

I work a lot at it... I pick up language easily. I know basic Bosnian just because I visit one of my Bosnian friends and it's all they speak at her house. My German teacher "Frau" says I have a "Knack for language". Hehe :)

Also! - I'm going to have a homework assignement for you guys soon as well! I'll make up a sheet in word and post it here. You will need to complete the exercises and PM them to me! We can keep a running tab of who has the highest score in the thread, and after awhile, I can talk to Forre to see if he'll allow a user status change to somthing like "German Valedictorian" to your user title, and possibly some fancy color changes for your user name!

Winkie
12-04-2007, 12:54
Ich kan Deutsh sehr gut sprechen, aber schreiben, mann dass ist blod..

the unforgiven
12-04-2007, 13:17
I can talk to Forre to see if he'll allow a user status change
just a piece of advice, don't call her mister it's not polite :p

Talyubittu, I have to say that you make a great job here hehe
this chatting lesson was priceless! seriously, it reminds me when I was in secondary school ...good old time

taty994945
12-04-2007, 15:01
I think the German language sounds very interesting....it's very intense. I like listening to German speech in films. :p

QueenBee
12-04-2007, 20:18
Bonus: Talyubittu ist der Deutschlehrer. - Who can translate this for me?
Talyubittu is the teacher of German! (or whatever, German teacher, haha) or something. :D

And YAY for me being included in the conversation!

*goes to get notebook*

Talyubittu
12-04-2007, 21:02
Here is a little practice sheet I made up for you guys to help along the way! Complete it and PM it to me if you want it corrected! I have also added the numbers 1-20 to the vocabulary list on the previous page! :)

Wer Bist Du?
- Chapter One Study Guide -

Section One: Whats happening here?
Do you understand whats going on in Los Geht’s? Check your comprehension by answering these questions.

1. What happens at the beginning of the story?
2. Why is Talyubittu’s age important?
3. What do you learn about the new student?
4. What information does Haku have for Talyubittu? What team do you think they are talking about?

Section Two: Reading for detail
Reread the dialouge. Which words or phrases do the characters in Los Geht’s use to...

1. Greet each other.
2. Ask someone’s name?
3. Ask where someone is from?
4. Ask where a place is?
5. Say goodbye?

Section Three: True or False?
Are these statements right or wrong? Answer each one with either Stimmt (True) or Stimmt Nicht (False). If any of the statements are wrong, correct them so that they are right!

1. Talyubittu ist jetzt sechzehn und kommt mit dem moped zur Schule!
2. Anml ist neu in der Schule
3. QueenBee und Anml haben morgen Training.
4. Haku kommt aus der Normandie.

Section Four: Verb Conjugation
Try to fill in the correct form of the verb Sein (Bin, Bist, Ist, Seid, Sind) and the verb Kommen, to their correct pronouns!

1. Ich ______ sechzehn jahre alt, und Ich ______ mit dem Moped zur Schule!
2. Du ______ vierzehn jahre alt, und Du ______ zu fuß (on foot) zur Schule!
3. Er, sie und es ______ siebzehn jahre alt, und Sie _______ mit dem Moped zur Schule!

If you can confidently fill in this chart and achieve an A or a B – you are well on your way to learning German! If you are having trouble, please keep studying!

You may use this as a reference to the dialouge! It's just copied from the previous page!

Part One
QueenBee: Hallo, Talyubittu!
Talyubittu: Hallo!
QueenBee: Ist das dein Moped?
Talyubittu: Ja, es ist!
QueenBee: Super, Klasse!
Talyubittu: Ich komme jetzt immer mit dem Moped zur Schule!
QueenBee: Ach ja! Du bist jetzt sechzehn!

Part Two

Talyubittu: Hallo! Wer bist du denn? Bist du neu hier?
Anml: Ja, Ich bin neu hier.
Talyubittu: Und wie heißt du?
Anml: Ich heiße Anml.

Part Three

Talyubittu: Das ist QueenBee.
Anml: Morgen, QueenBee!
QueenBee: Guten Morgen, Anml! Woher kommst du denn?
Anml: Aus Peru.
Talyubittu: Peru? Wo liegt denn Peru?
Anml: In Südamerika.

Part Four

QueenBee: Schau mal! Da kommt der* Haku. Hallo, Haku!
Haku: Hallo, QueenBee! Hallo, Talyubittu! Was gibt's?
Talyubittu: Sag mal, Haku, ist morgen Training?
Haku: Ja, klar! Um 3 Uhr.

Part Five

Anml:Ich bin Anml. Wie heißt du?
Haku: Haku Özkan.
Anml: Wie bitte? Öz...
QueenBee: Ich buchstabier's für dich. Ö-Z-K-A-N (Erts, Set, Ka, Ah, En). Stimmt doch, oder?
Haku: Ja, das stimmt!
Anml: Also, einfach! Und woher bist du?
Haku: Aus der Normandie.

Part Six

Talyubittu: Haku ist der beste Mann bei uns im Team. Die Nummer Eins!
Anml: Ja, prima!
Ahmet: Schon gut, wiedersehen!
QueenBee: Wiedersehen!
Talyubittu: Tschau!

* - der before a proper name is only used in some dialects. However it is not used in proper German.

QueenBee
12-04-2007, 22:17
Sechzehn
Siebzehn
Eightteen
Neunzehn
Zwanzig
Really? :p

Okay, I'm gonna try to do the exercise now... just don't laugh at me Talyubittu ;)

Edit: Okay, OMG, WHAAAT

2. Why is Talyubittu’s age important?
Huuuuh?

4. What information does Haku have for Talyubittu? What team do you think they are talking about?
:dead: (Oh wait I figured it out I think! Does it have to do with the 3 hours?)

Talyubittu
12-04-2007, 22:33
Really? :p

Okay, I'm gonna try to do the exercise now... just don't laugh at me Talyubittu ;)

Edit: Okay, OMG, WHAAAT

Huuuuh?

:dead: (Oh wait I figured it out I think! Does it have to do with the 3 hours?)

Haha :)

In Germany - you have to be 18 to drive a car. And even then it's very expensive to get your drivers license. So many people under 18 bike or take a moped. But in order to take a moped - you must be at least 16 years old. | Now do you understand why my age is important? :cool:

- I also fixed the "Eighteen" haha. Like I said - hours of formatting all of this gets to you...I tend to slip up every now and then. Just let me know if it happens, I'll make sure to go fix it :).

QueenBee
12-04-2007, 22:45
crazy malchik, I think it means "Is this your moped?" but I'm not sure.

Talyubittu
12-04-2007, 22:49
crazy malchik, I think it means "Is this your moped?" but I'm not sure.

Stimmt!

Dein - is a form of "Your" | We will learn how to use Your and Mine later on. :)

Also - if anyone wants extra exercies to complete. I'd be happy to create and post some! Just let me know if you'd like some more practice. Thats the key to learning a language :).

Talyubittu
12-04-2007, 22:57
Ooooh, dein, dein, nein, nein, klasse! LOL :laugh:

Sooo... We may talk about this? :gigi:

Feel so naughty. :gigi: LOL :kwink:

I know what stimmt means... :gigi:

Haha. I don't know what you mean by "dein, dein, nein, nein, klasse!, or what you feel naughty for. Have you been doing more with your German flash cards than just studying? Hmm...:bum:

QueenBee
12-04-2007, 22:58
Also - if anyone wants extra exercies to complete. I'd be happy to create and post some!
Ich will! :D

Talyubittu
12-04-2007, 23:09
Ich will! :D

Haha. - Someone's learning extra German on the side!

!!! - See how easy it is to get the basic comprehension of whats going on in the dialouge just from memorizing those few words from erste!? - You can't tell what some of the words are, but for the most part, you've got the gist of it! Good job!

QueenBee
12-04-2007, 23:10
Talyubittu, it's all thanks to Rammstein :p (they have a song called "Ich will")
Thanks for correcting! I think I did pretty good. :kawai:

Talyubittu
12-04-2007, 23:11
Talyubittu, it's all thanks to Rammstein :p (they have a song called "Ich will")
Thanks for correcting! I think I did pretty good. :kawai:

Ich denke - sehr gut!

Also: It's really good that you listen to German music! You're getting an ear for picking out words you'll recognize! It'll make it much easier to learn German as well as add to your pronunciation!

QueenBee
12-04-2007, 23:15
Ich warte auf die "exercises" lol, whatever :laugh: (No stress!)

Also, could you (anyone) explain to me one thing... in these texts I read "schon", is it a word or is it actually "schön" except that Talyubittu doesn't have that letter on his keyboard?

Talyubittu
12-04-2007, 23:19
Ich warte auf die "exercises" lol, whatever :laugh: (No stress!)

Also, could you (anyone) explain to me one thing... in these texts I read "schon", is it a word or is it actually "schön" except that Talyubittu doesn't have that letter on his keyboard?

Nope - These are two differen't words.

Schon (Pronounced "Shone): Means "Already"

Schön (Pronouced "Shurn"): Means "Beautiful"'

- Don't worry, I rarely forget to Umlaut (Put dots over), the words that need them. You can use special alt codes to do them.

For Example:

ß = Holding alt and typing in "225" on the keypad.

anml
12-04-2007, 23:52
Already PM youTalyubittu :)
I already I know at suck at German :p

the unforgiven
13-04-2007, 02:49
I'm drunk! what's going on here?
am I drunk? yes I am ... so am I crazy or there's an assignment? huh? wtf?
I should go to bed in meine Schlafzimmer hehe

Ich will is like one of the best song ever! Till is so so so so so hot

Du hast mich gefragt lalalala *sings*

Winkie
13-04-2007, 09:17
Haha all those exercises are just like those in highschool when I was 13 :D How cool to re-read that kind of stuff :D
Hasst du wirklich ein Moped oder nicht, talyubittu? In die Niederlande (habe keine Umlaut hier, sorry), muss du ach sechzehn Jahre alt sein fur ein Moped, und achtzehn fur ein Auto, aber nicht alle sechzehn Jahr alte Kindern haben ein Moped.
Sorry for the mistakes I made (A)

the unforgiven
13-04-2007, 17:11
stupid question : do we have to answer to the questions of the mini exercise in german? or in english (I can also do that in french if you want to lol)
sorry buddies but I have a hangover today and my brain has troubles dealing with that :p

Talyubittu
13-04-2007, 20:21
Haha all those exercises are just like those in highschool when I was 13 :D How cool to re-read that kind of stuff :D
Hasst du wirklich ein Moped oder nicht, talyubittu? In die Niederlande (habe keine Umlaut hier, sorry), muss du ach sechzehn Jahre alt sein fur ein Moped, und achtzehn fur ein Auto, aber nicht alle sechzehn Jahr alte Kindern haben ein Moped.
Sorry for the mistakes I made (A)

Nein, Ich habe keine Moped, wiel Ich auto habe. :)

Only 14 in my state to drive :) And I'm 16.

Should our answers be in German or English?

- Your answeres to the questions should be in English unless you are doing something involving the verb conjugation, conjugation will always be in German.

Talyubittu
16-04-2007, 04:43
I'm going to be posting more study tools tomorrow, possibly tonight.

The first quiz over everything covered so far will take place on Wednesday! So study hard!
Remember - I am keeping scores recorded!

anml
17-04-2007, 00:23
I'm going to be posting more study tools tomorrow, possibly tonight.

The first quiz over everything covered so far will take place on Wednesday! So study hard!
Remember - I am keeping scores recorded!
I feel like in school but with a cooler/better Deutschlehrer ;)

QueenBee
17-04-2007, 15:48
Yeeeey I can't wait! I'm gonna go and repeat some stuff. :D

For everyone who is participating in the quiz: I am soooo gonna kick your asses! :laugh:

the unforgiven
17-04-2007, 17:11
For everyone who is participating in the quiz: I am soooo gonna kick your asses!
don't you dare?! I'm gonna beat you so hard that you'll regret the day you born :gigi:
bring it on!

learning german = peace and love thread :kwink:

QueenBee
17-04-2007, 17:13
the unforgiven, we'll see about that! :nunu:

How will we know that people don't cheat, btw?

the unforgiven
17-04-2007, 17:21
QueenBee, *shakes fists* beware of me young lady lol

I guess it's pointless to cheat anyway, let's trust each other :dknow:

Talyubittu
18-04-2007, 04:51
I won't tell you how I'm going to make sure people won't cheat :)

- Perhaps I'll use an online quiz that prevents you from opening any other windows?

- At the same time, you're only cheating yourself if you cheat. It's not like I care if you don't learn German, I'm here for those who want to learn, I' not going to waste my time with someone who's just messing around to mess around. (I hope you know what I mean)

- Also I apologize for not having everything ready! I feel horrid about it, but yesterday I was sick and it's carried over to today and I got a new puppy! (4 months old & soooo cute), so I'll make sure to get the quiz and everything to you on next tuesday! And I will definately post a new worksheet to study from soon! :)

Talyubittu
24-04-2007, 03:33
Alright! It's time to study one last time and cram cram cram! You've been studying independantly I hope! So, without further injuction between our lessons, let's continue to use what we've already been taught! In this new exerciese, we are going to be refering to where we come from, and then refering to ourselves in 3rd person! Here's how it works.

Ich ______ aus ______
Er/Sie______aus________

Just make sure you know how to fill those in, and make sure you remember your other verb conjugations!

Here are some words that you will need to memorize that will be used on the test! I find that cramming these words in at the last minute always helps me to remember them a little better! The words are...

und : And
auch: Also
jetzt : Now
Ach so : Yes, I see!
Los geht's : Let's go!

These words will most likely appear on your iQuiz.

I also have a new proposal.

I have set up an interactive classroom on the web! Everyone can join by entering their E-mail. You will take your tests there, your assignents will be posted there, notices will be posted, and you will also be able to submit assignments! If a majority of people wish to do this, we can do it there! It would be much easier for me, as it comes with an online gradebook, and allows me to send messages to all students as well as create lessons online & it saves them. Please give me your feedback on the matter.

QueenBee
24-04-2007, 14:35
I have set up an interactive classroom on the web! Everyone can join by entering their E-mail. You will take your tests there, your assignents will be posted there, notices will be posted, and you will also be able to submit assignments! If a majority of people wish to do this, we can do it there! It would be much easier for me, as it comes with an online gradebook, and allows me to send messages to all students as well as create lessons online & it saves them. Please give me your feedback on the matter.
Oh my gosh! *MAJOR EXCITEMENT*

the unforgiven
24-04-2007, 16:06
Talyubittu, I think your e-classroom is a great idea
I hope you can manage to do it :)

Talyubittu
24-04-2007, 20:32
You Can Enroll - HERE! (http://www.inspiringteachers.com/cgi-bin/tq2.cgi?WCNUM=5198&%4CTYPE=2)

QueenBee
24-04-2007, 20:56
Instructor, approve my application! :gigi:

Talyubittu
24-04-2007, 20:56
Talybittu, why are you so good? :o :)

Haha. Why am I good?

If someone wants to learn, why not teach them?

volk1
24-04-2007, 21:58
Du saugst Staub. :eek:

Talyubittu
25-04-2007, 06:47
ATTENTION!

The class is NOW up and running! After everybody registers, we will resume class!

Some features the class contains!

- An interactive work enviornment that allows you to directly do your homework IN the online class and submit it, as well as take tests and even do your exames and reports!

- The class features a gradebook, grade machines, and various organization tools that will be utilized by myself. :)

- The interactive learning envriornment will be called "iClass" and allows me to assign work, post lessons and e-mail all of you plus grade your work for you to see and many other things! Your view of the classroom will be different, you will be allowed to study your German, post your assignments, and take your quizes/exames and post reports!

This will all be explained in an E-mail once you all have registered! Please tell me when you register by posting here!

All in all, I am very excited about this! It's such a fun opportunity for everyone to begin working towards German and in a proper class! I hope you all enjoy it!

ATTENTION

I have changed some settings, and you are all required to register again! I'm sorry for those of you who already have! It's a quick process, only takes about 30 seconds!

REGISTER HERE! (http://www.inspiringteachers.com/cgi-bin/tq2.cgi?WCNUM=5198&%4CTYPE=2)

Please read the instructions, and make sure that your password includes -1L at the beginning. I think I can change it if you want me to but to register please use that.

QueenBee
25-04-2007, 13:21
Are our names still supposed to be our Tatysite names?

Talyubittu
25-04-2007, 20:15
Are our names still supposed to be our Tatysite names?

Personally, I'd enjoy getting to know your REAL names. Since I don't know any of them :-/

But you can use your tatysite.net name if you wish. it dosen't matter really.

anml
26-04-2007, 00:24
omg, im class # 5198
there are so many people learning this :laugh:

Talyubittu
26-04-2007, 03:34
Monika, I already registered you.

Haha. anml - the number just means you're that number to join the entire site. You're actually member 001 which I assigned to you.

Some of you should try logging in and just looking at the user interface, HOWEVER DO NOT POST ANYTHING OR SUBMIT ANYTHING.

QueenBee
26-04-2007, 07:24
Monika, I already registered you.
Really? But wait, I thought we had to register again? Should I use the old password? Lol, what, I'm so confused :laugh:

Talyubittu
26-04-2007, 08:23
Really? But wait, I thought we had to register again? Should I use the old password? Lol, what, I'm so confused :laugh:

Haha. My mistake, I meant to say I entered you in the grade book.

Yes my dear, please reigster again. :)

QueenBee
26-04-2007, 15:37
Sorry, please select a different Name.
Okay, whoever stole my name is going DOWN! :nunu: :laugh:

Talyubittu
26-04-2007, 19:21
LMAO.

I guess I have to wait until you reigster.

I'll delete you from the gradebook & then you can reigster. I'm sorry about that.

QueenBee
26-04-2007, 19:45
Talyubittu, I've now registered as "Queenie". :)
I wasn't sure if you meant I could register as Monika after you've deleted me from the gradebook.. whatever! I'm majorly confused right now. :hmmm:

Talyubittu
26-04-2007, 20:18
Talyubittu, I've now registered as "Queenie". :)
I wasn't sure if you meant I could register as Monika after you've deleted me from the gradebook.. whatever! I'm majorly confused right now. :hmmm:

This is what I'll do.

From now on, try to log in as "Monika". I'll change your account name from Queenie to Monika. And that should take care of all the problems we've been having.

QueenBee
26-04-2007, 20:31
Talyubittu, OKAY VERY STUPID QUESTION COMING UP: What is the address to the class itself? You only provided us with the registration URL, and my email message logs me in automatically when I click the link in the email (as Queenie btw.) I first went to inspiringteachers.com, couldn't find anything for logging in as a student, went to Classbuilder and the class # isn't valid.

:cry:

Some of you should try logging in and just looking at the user interface, HOWEVER DO NOT POST ANYTHING OR SUBMIT ANYTHING.
Oops I posted something before :o

Talyubittu
26-04-2007, 20:50
Here is the link to log in :) (http://www.inspiringteachers.com/users/talyubittu/)

Try logging in as Monika. Tell me what happens.

QueenBee
26-04-2007, 21:02
Talyubittu, I can't log in as Monika, "the password is incorrect". But logging in as Queenie works.

Talyubittu
27-04-2007, 01:09
LOL. ok. I have it figured out.

You can register as Monika as soon as I delete it from the grade book :).

the unforgiven
02-05-2007, 09:49
I've registered as Anaïs :p
that's cool, thanks Talyubittu