PDA

View Full Version : The tragic loss of Steve Irwin

dare2dream28
04-09-2006, 13:55
As many of you probably heard, Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin has died. He was filming off the coast of Australia where he was stung in the heart by a stingray. My deepest sympathies go out to Terri (wife), Bindi (daughter, 8 yrs), Bob (son, almost 3 yrs), and the rest of the Australia Zoo family. I got my first glimpse of "The Crocodile Hunter" in 1998 while flipping through the channels on my sister's couch in North Carolina. When I saw a clip of this amazing guy wrestling a crocodile, and speaking with an Australia accent, I was immediately mesmerized! I thoght, "Who IS this guy?!?" Lucky for me, Animal Planet played a few episodes that night and that was it for me; I was instantly a huge fan. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a HUGE animal person and that Steve had *such* a huge influence on me. Before I became a croc hunter fan, I was afraid of snakes, spiders, alligators, & crocs. After watching his show, I overcame that fear and not only caught snakes, but presented them to the public! I lived his mantra: "Conservation through education!"

As I watch the cover stories on Fox, ABC, CNN, etc, I am deeply saddened and angry that they continue to focus not on Steve's accomplishments for conserving wildlife, not for changing MILLIONS of people's minds about "beasts" such as crocs & snakes, but on a ridiculous 2004 "controversy" where he held his then 1-month old son, Bob, in the same vicinty as Murray, a 13 foot crocodile. THEY LIVE IN AUSTRALIA ZOO, OF *COURSE* STEVE'S KIDS WILL BE AROUND CROCODILES!!!!!! Please, remember Steve for his passion for wildlife, his AMAZING accomplishments for conserving, and how he changed the perceptions of so-called 'monsters of the animal kingdom' of his estimated 200 million fans across the globe. Steve Irwin is the ultimate Wildlife Warrior and he will truly be missed.

As always, "By crikey mates! Crocs rule!"

IFeel4U
04-09-2006, 14:14
That is so sad. Now his wifre and children have to be without:( May his soul rest in peace.

gluttony85
04-09-2006, 15:46
I knew the news this afternoon. Can't believe that he passed away so fast right after the piercing through his left chest by the stingray. My deepest condolence to the crocodile hunter.

marina
04-09-2006, 15:55
Very sad loss of human life indeed . I have never thought that these beasts (http://nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu/~pmpie/ray.html)could be that evil :(

Anouk
04-09-2006, 16:31
Those stingray barbs are easily 2 to 3 inches.. With some force, it's not hard to pierce a hole in the heart..

At least he died doing what he loved to do.. Hanging around with creatures from the water..

I feel sorry for his wife and kids.. Even more sad is, is that the whole world knew before his wife did.. Even wikipedia had already updated their page at 6:30 this morning..

Rest in Peace mate :(

Rachel
04-09-2006, 16:34
Very sad for his family & friends :/ But I really don't mean to sound horrible or anything, but are you really surprised this happened? When you are mad enough to do this kind of thing something bad is gonna end up happening. He pretty much had a death wish :none:

QueenBee
04-09-2006, 17:02
Wow, I had no idea that had happened... poor man, I wasn't a fan but I have seen his show a few times and he seemed like a fun person, this is terrible news. :( I have to agree with Rachel though, he knew there are risks when you're dealing with animals, still extremely sad that he died.

Anouk
04-09-2006, 17:19
He pretty much had a death wish :none:

I don't think so at all.. I think he was a very passionate man, with a love for life and (sea) animals.. He had a passion and excited to show the world all about the animals that he adored.. I don't think you'll ever find someone that passionate about anything again..

Yeah, it's true he played with his life.. It was bound to go wrong one day, but he obviously knew what he was doing, otherwise he wouldn't let his kids near crocs and stuff.. And he surely didn't deserve to die and I'm 100% positive he didn't have a wish to die at all, that's absolute bullshit.. I think he was VERY eager to live and probably wanted nothing more than to teach everybody on the planet, personally even if he could.. There's no one like him..

At least he died doing what he loved to do.. There's no better way to go I think.. It beats dying old and lonely, sitting in a rocking chair, any day..

Mary-sheccid
04-09-2006, 17:23
i saw the program--- :( that´s so sad! My sincere condolences to his family.

Rachel
04-09-2006, 17:31
he obviously knew what he was doingErm...he's dead now. :spy:

otherwise he wouldn't let his kids near crocs and stuff.No matter how much he knew (or thought he knew) about crocodiles he still should not have held his kid near a crocodile. That is just stupid. He was way too over-confident of his abilities which clouded his judgement.

I'm 100% positive he didn't have a wish to die at all, that's absolute bullshit.. You misunderstand me. I don't mean he was suicidle or anything, but going near animals such as these is bound to end in some kind of consequences.

Kyro
04-09-2006, 17:34
I can't say I was a fan, but he was a great guy who will be missed by many. It's so sad that he had to die, but I'm not surprised that it happened, in fact I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. I'm very sorry for all his family and friends.

Anouk
04-09-2006, 17:35
Yeah, he dead now.. It's a freak accident.. I'm sure he didn't mean to get himself killed :rolleyes: He knew what he was doing, but obviously the phrase "shit happens" still applies..

QueenBee
04-09-2006, 17:40
What if shit would have happened when he held his child near a crocodile?
I don't think it was his fault, just another sad moment, I mean if I go out in the street and get run over by a car, is it my fault because I crossed the street? No. :p It's just bad luck.

I'm really surprised that he's dead.

Anouk
04-09-2006, 17:45
I don't think it was his fault, just another sad moment, I mean if I go out in the street and get run over by a car, is it my fault because I crossed the street? No. :p It's just bad luck.

Exactly.. Doesn't automatically mean you have a deathwish.. :p Maybe to Steve, wrestling crocodiles was as dangerous and crossing a street for you and me (depending on what city you live in I guess).. Dangerous has a different meaning to everyone.. To one it's idiotic, to others it's life, adrenaline, maybe even normal.. Doesn't mean he has a deathwish.. He was obviously fascinated by those creatures..

I'm really surprised that he's dead.

Me too.. I can't say I watched his shows all the time, but still.. It's a suprise nonetheless..

QueenBee
04-09-2006, 17:55
Anouk, true... he could handle a croc better than me and you together probably. :p So the risk was probably not as high for him, he knew what he had to do if he got attacked. But then again, he didn't get attacked by a crocodile or a snake or something, but one of those... thing! I didn't even know they were dangerous in the least!

But anyway, what I think Rachel meant, was that he knew what he was getting himself in to. I mean, even if you're a professional, you *know* that you can't control an animal like a machine, that it can freak out any second, and that you can get attacked, lose a leg, or die.

Me too.. I can't say I watched his shows all the time, but still.. It's a suprise nonetheless..
True, he was like the... immortal... guy! It's so weird to see him gone.

Rachel
04-09-2006, 18:08
I mean if I go out in the street and get run over by a car, is it my fault because I crossed the street? No. :p It's just bad luck.Not really something you can compare. If you held dangerous animals every day as well as go out into the street you obviously would be much more likely to get killed by the dangerous animal than a car.

Anouk
04-09-2006, 18:15
Anouk, true... he could handle a croc better than me and you together probably. :p So the risk was probably not as high for him, he knew what he had to do if he got attacked. But then again, he didn't get attacked by a crocodile or a snake or something, but one of those... thing! I didn't even know they were dangerous in the least!

But anyway, what I think Rachel meant, was that he knew what he was getting himself in to. I mean, even if you're a professional, you *know* that you can't control an animal like a machine, that it can freak out any second, and that you can get attacked, lose a leg, or die.

That's what I ment when I said "He knew": he knew the dangers, and I think he knew them pretty damn well.. The animals remain wild ofcourse, they're no way you can tame a croc or any other animal, especially killers like crocs.. I think he knew that better than anyone.. He was not as ignorant as most people on this planet, I think he was one of the most realistic people on this planet..

True, he was like the... immortal... guy! It's so weird to see him gone.

Yeah, crazy to think that after all the crazy stuff he's been up to, a 2.5 inch barb from a stingray cost him his life.. I'm sure everybody put their money on him getting his head bit off by a croc..

Anouk
04-09-2006, 18:19
Not really something you can compare. If you held dangerous animals every day as well as go out into the street you obviously would be much more likely to get killed by the dangerous animal than a car.

Just think of the "Crocodile Dundee" movies.. That dude wasn't used the the city, but was used to the jungle and wild animals.. Turns out the city was more frightening, weird and dangerous to him than the jungle would ever be.. I know it's just a movie, but I don't think it's totally justified when you say you can't compare the 2.. There are people out there not used to the city or civilization and there are people not used to the wild.. Crossing streets and crocodile wresting can be as dangerous..

By the way.. I don't think QB was comparing both things to what Steve thought was dangerous.. I think she's saying what I'm saying.. Obviously, since she's agreeing with me..

Mute_Clouds
04-09-2006, 19:26
At first I thought this thread was just a joke or a gag. No good. :bum: I feel bad for Steves family but they knew he loved his job and that's probably how he'd want to go.

tainted_chick
04-09-2006, 20:23
I couldnt believe it when i heard it!! Steve was amazing, passionate about animals and the wildlife in Aus! Like his friend said he died doing something he loved!!!

I love crocodile hunter, he was one top guy!! "wow crikey" loved his lil phrases he came out with.

RIP Steve Irwin!

dradeel
04-09-2006, 22:45
Allthough I kinda thought it was bound to happen sometimes, cause that guy was really pushing the limits, I think his death was a huge loss. He was such a huge animal-lover --- the correct type of animal-lover, who understood the animal kingdom and how we should live and learn with animals. We will always need people like him everywhere. I thought he was super-cool, and he had the coolest accent. I think the numerous documentaries and series that he made about the wildlife will never grow old, cause there will really be only one Steve Irwin! Now, he was the real life Crocodile Dundee! :)

Rachel
04-09-2006, 23:03
BBC News report on his death (http://rapidshare.de/files/31979650/Steve_Irwin_-_BBC_News_Report.avi) capped by me :)

Now normally these are placid creatures, it's only if they are stepped on or provoked that they will lash out with their tails...
You can't continue to aggravate aggressive animals as he did and finally not get bitten, scratched or stung by one.

QueenBee
04-09-2006, 23:12
Thank you Rachel! :rose: I'm downloading it right now :)

Whitney
04-09-2006, 23:14
I heard the news this morning at school this morning but laughed it off cause I thought it was a joke but as I came home ma sister told me about it an it reallyb shocked me. My heart goes out to his family and friends an may his soul rest in peace.

He chose that life to live so he died by the the lifestyle he chose.:none:

But I think if Steve was to die by an animal I thought it would have been by a crocodile :lalala:

dare2dream28
05-09-2006, 00:24
When you are mad enough to do this kind of thing something bad is gonna end up happening. He pretty much had a death wish :none:

I just KNEW there was going to be a reaction like this when I posted the news. I just flipping KNEW IT. I'm going to say right now that I'm about to flip my lid because I've been dealing with shitty comments ALL FREAKING DAY about Steve and I simply cannot take it anymore (basically, I'm not singling out Rachel, I'm venting in general).

First off, for all of you that know how big of a Shania fan I am, Steve Irwin is like Shania to me as far as my role model so yes, I am taking things personally here.

Now for my rant:

Steve was NOT crazy/mad. He was the most PASSIONATE person out there!!!!!! He CARED for wildlife and worked SO damn hard at spreading the word to people about saving his beloved animals. Steve worked his ass off his whole life toward "conservation through education" and he did a damn good job. He altered millions of people's views about animals previously percieved as nothing other than things that make good hats or jewlry. He INSPIRED people to work at conserving animals and to protect them! He was such a phenomenal wildlife warrior! He truly had a magnificent gift with wildlife (don't you dare say a sarcastic remark to this...one fucking freak accident does NOT diminish all he's accomplished throughout his life) and I think it was wonderful that he decided to share his experiences with us via his shows, movie, documentaries, etc.

Who else had the guts and the skill to get *that* close to the animals and give us, the audience, such a different perspective?? Of all the times he handled snakes, he was NEVER bitten by a venemous one...that's one huge accomplishment! And look at all the times he handled the crocodiles & alligators WITHOUT anything going wrong! For pete's sake, he even jumped on Grahm, one of the largest crocs, during a heavy rain, where he was EXTREMELY vulnerable and saved his best mate, Wes!!! THE MAN KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING and don't anyone DARE insinuate that he didn't!!!!!!!

YES, his job had obvious risks, but just like he brought up in 2004...his mother was around dangerous animals on a daily basis just like he was, and she got killed in a CAR ACCIDENT! If a firefighter got killed during a fire, would you say he didn't know what he was doing? NO! It's a risk that comes with the job, everyone knows that, but no one would dare denounce the firefighter of not knowing his skill.

Did he get too close to the stingray? OBVIOUSLY. BUT, has he been that close before and nothing has gone wrong? YES! The mistake this time is that Steve accidentally boxed the stingray in (via John, his producer/friend), causing the stingray to react like any animal--to protect itself.

I just wanna say big kudos to all those who said nice things about Steve. His loss is a huge one in the animal world and I know personally, I miss his enthusiasm already. He was/is such a huge influence on me and I'll always appreciate him and his message. May he rest in peace and may his influence be felt for decades.

Rachel
05-09-2006, 00:34
I just KNEW there was going to be a reaction like this when I posted the news. I just flipping KNEW IT.It should tell you something :smoke:

Who else had the guts and the skill to get *that* close to the animals.I think you are confusing guts with stupidity.

If a firefighter got killed during a fire, would you say he didn't know what he was doing? NO! It's a risk that comes with the job, everyone knows that, but no one would dare denounce the firefighter of not knowing his skill.LOL @ what people are comparing in this thread. A firefighter does a neccessary job. No one needs a guy jumping on crocodiles every 5 minutes to get a bit of cheap entertainment on TV.

Did he get too close to the stingray? OBVIOUSLY. BUT, has he been that close before and nothing has gone wrong? YES! The mistake this time is that Steve accidentally boxed the stingray in (via John, his producer/friend), causing the stingray to react like any animal--to protect itself.Well what does that tell you? If he had just left animals alone he would be alive & well now.

PowerPuff Grrl
05-09-2006, 01:05
Who else had the guts and the skill to get *that* close to the animals and give us, the audience, such a different perspective

Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell)
Roy Uwe Ludwig Horn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siegfried_and_Roy#Roy.27s_tiger_injury)

taturocks8
05-09-2006, 01:08
He will missed very much. Its so sad .
I was shocked to hear the news yesterday. I had tears in my eyes when i saw it on tv.
He was a great Australian ambassador cared so much about wildlife.

The poor kids losing a father his wife losing a husband :(

Rachel
05-09-2006, 01:14
Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell)
Roy Uwe Ludwig Horn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siegfried_and_Roy#Roy.27s_tiger_injury)PowerPuff Grrl, :done: :done: :done:

dare2dream28
05-09-2006, 01:23
It should tell you something :smoke:

I think you are confusing guts with stupidity.

LOL @ what people are comparing in this thread. A firefighter does a neccessary job. No one needs a guy jumping on crocodiles every 5 minutes to get a bit of cheap entertainment on TV.

Well what does that tell you? If he had just left animals alone he would be alive & well now.

You're right, why should I expect any RESPECT or decency from some of the people here? Yes, it is silly of me. :rolleyes:

CHEAP ENTERTAINMENT?! WTF ever. STUPIDITY?!? You're a smoker of more than just cigarettes and you're talking to me about stupidity?

And if every person left everything dangerous alone, what the hell kind of life would that be? Don't go crying to anyone when you get lung cancer and breathe through a hole in your neck.

Steve Irwin is NOT Timothy f*ing Treadwell. I'm not even going to go there and explain that.

Why do I even bother? Those who don't understand what I'm talking about never will. Steve had a gift and that's that.

Rachel
05-09-2006, 01:31
You're a smoker of more than just cigarettes and you're talking to me about stupidity?

And if every person left everything dangerous alone, what the hell kind of life would that be? Don't go crying to anyone when you get lung cancer and breathe through a whole in your neck.Oh lorddd, please excuse me while I laugh :rolleyes: I smoke weed like once every month or so. I don't need to explain myself to anyone, and certainly not you ;) And oh come on, there we go again comparing two completely different things. And I don't want people to cry for me when I die (probably of lung cancer :p ) because I know the risk I'm taking. I won't want peoples sympathy.

BTW, tell Fredda what you said there, she'd probably love you for that :p

Why do I even bother?:ithink:

dare2dream28
05-09-2006, 01:44
Oh lorddd, please excuse me while I laugh :rolleyes: I smoke weed like once every month or so. I don't need to explain myself to anyone, and certainly not you ;) And oh come on, there we go again comparing two completely different things. And I don't want people to cry for me when I die (probably of lung cancer :p ) because I know the risk I'm taking. I won't want peoples sympathy.

BTW, tell Fredda what you said there, she'd probably love you for that :p

:ithink:

I'm e-mailing Fredda as we speak. :p

This is my problem...Steve just died and obviously from my posts it's clear that he meant a lot to me. If your idol died, even if I didn't like her, I'd keep anything negative to myself just out of RESPECT for your feelings. Geeze, I know that's a CRAZY idea ( :rolleye: ), but I thought it would be the right thing to do.

Hurt Me Too
05-09-2006, 02:26
Wow that's upsetting, he was a really cool guy. I watched his show like all the time and stuff. And now for my little snide remarks. Rachel, I think you're kind of being a bitch, I mean this guy died, and you're going off calling him an idiot and such. I mean it wasn't idiotic at all it's called informing the public, it's very educational. It was not all about 'jumping on crocs' as you so elquently put it. It was more a hands on approach that taught you something about wildlife without making it seem damn boring. I don't want you to be offended or anything but you could react a little bit more somber or a little bit less...enthusiastic about the matter, seems like a really crappy way to act really. I mean no offense by the way.

PowerPuff Grrl
05-09-2006, 02:50
Hey, nobody's talking shit of the guy. It's pretty much understood that he has brought some massive awareness towards the wildlife.

It just that I'm surprised that the words "I never expected this to happen" could be read in this thread. It's not like we all had stopwatches timing this shit, but as far as comparisons to firefighters and smokers go (which IMHO, are completely different things) I still have the same sentiment. It is something that is likely to happen. And just because I feel this way does not in any way mean I'm not saddened by his death and sorry for his family.

There's no intention of offending anybody here.

dare2dream28
05-09-2006, 03:07
Hey, nobody's talking shit of the guy. It's pretty much understood that he has brought some massive awareness towards the wildlife.

It just that I'm surprised that the words "I never expected this to happen" could be read in this thread. It's not like we all had stopwatches timing this shit, but as far as comparisons to firefighters and smokers go (which IMHO, are completely different things) I still have the same sentiment. It is something that is likely to happen. And just because I feel this way does not in any way mean I'm not saddened by his death and sorry for his family.

There's no intention of offending anybody here.

I hope I wasn't misunderstood...What I meant to get across is that Steve's death was a shock to me because it was so sudden. *How* he died wasn't so much a shock to me since he died doing what he loved--interacting with wildlife. I don't think anyone who knows who Steve Irwin is, is shocked at how he died, just maybe that he *did* die at such a young age of 44 since he seemed almost invincible, you know? I still can't believe he's gone just because I've looked up to him for the past eight years, not because I didn't think anything would happen to him. Wow. I still feel so bad for his kids, especially Bindi since he was filming a documentary for her when this happened. :(

As I watch CNN right now, I feel horrible for his friend John since he has to keep telling the story over and over again to all the interviewers. I remember when I had to tell everyone in my family about what happened when I had to put my dog down and that tore me up inside...I can't imagine what John's going through describing this over and over. :(

u2kforever
05-09-2006, 06:00
Yea sad what happen, but i am not shocked by it. What he was doing, was risky, and he took that risk and that was the cause of his demise. Also, bad things happen. His death is no different then say someone dying in a car crash.

Rip, peace :)

freddie
05-09-2006, 06:35
I'm not shocked. It's slightly ironic though. Only the second death related to stingrays in Australia, or something? Amazing.

About the guy... I have mixed feelings towards him. He indeed brought a lot of awareness towards wildlife and I loved his endless enthusiasm, but at the same time I always got the feeling he was badgering animals somewhat. I doubt those crocs enjoyed being dragged by their tails or lizards picked up from the trees to be showcased infront of the camera. I much more appreciated those types of documentaries where animals are being filmed from the distance, not being disturbed by the hand of man. Though I think he meant to cause no harm or discomfort to the animals and he genuinely loved wildlife I still can't shake of that feeling that he was too intruding.

That being said though. Respect to him. RIP.

marina
05-09-2006, 08:07
In all honesty , I only enjoy glimpses of wildlife from very very afar .

Rachel
05-09-2006, 08:49
Ooook, I'm gonna make myself late for work, but what the hell...

Rachel, I think you're kind of being a bitch, I mean this guy died, and you're going off calling him an idiot and such. I mean it wasn't idiotic at all it's called informing the public, it's very educational. It was not all about 'jumping on crocs' as you so elquently put it. It was more a hands on approach that taught you something about wildlife without making it seem damn boring.I just don't like his approach. The best ever wildlife documentaries have had no "hands on approach". Imagine we were the crocs, how would you like to be jumped on & grabbed? I'm sorry but that kind of behaviour has consequences. And I'm not the one bringing the other person's private life into this discussion :rolleyes: That is making it personal.

About the guy... I have mixed feelings towards him. He indeed brought a lot of awareness towards wildlife and I loved his endless enthusiasm, but at the same time I always got the feeling he was badgering animals somewhat. I doubt those crocs enjoyed being dragged by their tails or lizards picked up from the trees to be showcased infront of the camera. I much more appreciated those types of documentaries where animals are being filmed from the distance, not being disturbed by the hand of man.Exactly my thoughts Freddie. :done: The reason I didn't like him is because I love animals.

dare2dream28
05-09-2006, 15:10
Granted the crocs most likely didn't enjoy getting jumped on, it was necessary for their survival. Most of the crocs he filmed were ones that had to be relocated from the area because they were "problem crocs" and faced certain death from the locals if Steve & his crew didn't relocate them. In that case, I'm sure the crocs would rather survive and put up with some people jumping on them for a little bit.

The reason I didn't like him is because I love animals.

I love animals too, and I love Steve! I even have a bachelor's degree in biology with concentration in field work (aka working with animals). I used to be a park interpreter for a state park, which meant I was the person you see giving programs to the public. It was my job to go out and catch snakes, skinks, turtles, etc., and then give programs on them. Did those animals enjoy me catching them and showing them to the public? Probably not.

But you know what? I probably inadvertantly saved not only their lives, but their kin and other members of their species by doing that. How? Do you think most of the people that attended my programs saw a live snake up close before that moment I held it on my arm, without being terrified? Before that program, most people would purposely swerve to hit a snake on the road or automatically chop a snake's head off if it was in their yard, simply because they didn't know if the snake was venemous or not; they just assumed that it would kill them. But because I took the time to catch that snake and educate people about it right there where they could observe a real live one in action, it made them think twice. It put the thought in their head, "Look at this lady! She has a 5 foot black snake on her arm and it's not trying to bite her or kill her! I don't need to kill this cute little snake just because it's in my yard. I'll let this little bugger go since it will eat the field mice!"

People fear what they don't know, that's a fact. If you can teach people about something, then they can love it. If they love it, they want to save it.

Is that worth getting an up close experience with an animal for a few moments? Absolutely, in my opinion.

Is it best for everyday people to observe wildlife from a distance? Without a doubt! If you see an animal on a trail, just stop and admire its beauty from where you are. Don't approach it, for your own safety and for the animal's. There's no point in catching wildlife just to say that you've caught it...it's inconsiderate for the animal. Basically, I condone Steve's way of approaching wildlife because he was using that experience to educate millions of people across the world. You may not agree with his approach, and that's fine. However, his message was strong and whether people thought he was a bit loopy or over enthusiastic doesn't matter--what matters is that he got people thinking twice about animals (not just the cute cuddley ones, but that ones that could kill ya!) and got them to *care.* *That* is an accomplishment.

u2kforever
05-09-2006, 15:30
You know i was telling a few people on another forum, pretty much the bottom line we just have to be careful around " certain animals ".

Some animals are just too risky to be around, its just the way the world is, at the moment. So maybe people can learn something from his death, even tho i doubt anyone will listen.

the unforgiven
05-09-2006, 19:33
they talk about his death on french tv
so there will be national mourning and burial in Australia

Mary-sheccid
05-09-2006, 20:01
dare2dream28

I congratulate you, really you take passion for the life! You have inspired me.

QueenBee
05-09-2006, 21:54
dare2dream28, I didn't mean that he wasn't passionate, or a great person, I know he was! And I admire him for that. But it still doesn't take away from the fact that what he did was dangerous and risky.

THE MAN KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING and don't anyone DARE insinuate that he didn't!!!!!!!
I don't think anyone meant to say that he was clueless, because he obviously did know what he was doing, otherwise he would be smart enough to not get so close. BUT just because you know what you are doing, doesn't mean there is no room for accidents. It can happen in any job.

his mother was around dangerous animals on a daily basis just like he was, and she got killed in a CAR ACCIDENT!
So? I cross the street everyday with risk to get run over by a car, but still I can die from cancer or other things... I don't see what you're trying to say? Yes he knew what he was doing but the risks were still there, and unfortunately he had bad luck.

Did he get too close to the stingray? OBVIOUSLY. BUT, has he been that close before and nothing has gone wrong? YES! The mistake this time is that Steve accidentally boxed the stingray in (via John, his producer/friend), causing the stingray to react like any animal--to protect itself.
Exactly... it wasn't entirely his fault but he obviously would have survived if he hadn't handled the animal. Keep in mind that this still doesn't mean that he didn't know what he was doing. Just because nothing has gone wrong before doesn't mean it will never go wrong. I don't see why we're arguing/discussing really, he did put himself out there, and it happened! Sadly that can happen even if you are skilled in what you're doing, like he was.

You're right, why should I expect any RESPECT or decency from some of the people here? Yes, it is silly of me.
Why are YOU being disrespectful just because people are saying negative things? If you open a thread you can't expect everyone to be nice! No-one is saying he was stupid, and it is of course a tragic loss but it doesn't mean that people can't critisize what he did. Actually from what I saw, no-one is being negative, just honest... it's obvious that there are risks, and he knew about it, he knew that it could kill him, and it did.

dare2dream28
06-09-2006, 00:08
dare2dream28, I didn't mean that he wasn't passionate, or a great person, I know he was! And I admire him for that. But it still doesn't take away from the fact that what he did was dangerous and risky.

Oh I wasn't trying to say that what he did wasn't dangerous or risky, because I sure as heck know it was! He had the scars, broken bones, & surgies to prove it! lol

I don't think anyone meant to say that he was clueless, because he obviously did know what he was doing, otherwise he would be smart enough to not get so close. BUT just because you know what you are doing, doesn't mean there is no room for accidents. It can happen in any job.

I totally agree.

So? I cross the street everyday with risk to get run over by a car, but still I can die from cancer or other things... I don't see what you're trying to say? Yes he knew what he was doing but the risks were still there, and unfortunately he had bad luck.

My point was that throughout the day I had people (not necessarily here) saying to me, "Well he deserved to get killed by an animal! Look at how many animals he handled!" and I finally got tired of hearing it. What I meant by that is just because you do something on a daily basis does *not* mean that whatever *that* is that you do will kill you. So yes, I totally agree with your crossing the street example because that's what I was trying to say.

Exactly... it wasn't entirely his fault but he obviously would have survived if he hadn't handled the animal. Keep in mind that this still doesn't mean that he didn't know what he was doing. Just because nothing has gone wrong before doesn't mean it will never go wrong. I don't see why we're arguing/discussing really, he did put himself out there, and it happened! Sadly that can happen even if you are skilled in what you're doing, like he was.

YES, yes, yes! So far I have agreed with everything you've posted. :)

Why are YOU being disrespectful just because people are saying negative things? If you open a thread you can't expect everyone to be nice! No-one is saying he was stupid, and it is of course a tragic loss but it doesn't mean that people can't critisize what he did. Actually from what I saw, no-one is being negative, just honest... it's obvious that there are risks, and he knew about it, he knew that it could kill him, and it did.

Ahh, this is where I don't 100% agree. This is what it boils down to: Obviously it is clear that I was/am very upset over Steve's death. I learned about it at 7 a.m. my time (Eastern Standard Time), dealt with harsh criticism at work over it, dealt with sarcastic comments from my dad about it, and then I come home from work to read what's been posted on the thread and I see this:

When you are mad enough to do this kind of thing something bad is gonna end up happening. He pretty much had a death wish.

and then:

quote:
Originally Posted by Anouk
he obviously knew what he was doing
Erm...he's dead now.

That was the straw on the camel's back that just set me off. If I wasn't so sensitive about the subject matter at the time, then I probably wouldn't have exploded like I did, but I did and I'm not going to go back & edit myself because then the rest of the thread wouldn't make sense. Like I said earlier, if someone posted something about someone important to them dieing, I wouldn't criticize the person for respect of the poster's feelings, regardless of what I really thought of the deceased. BUT, yeah, I learned that I can't expect that from everyone (and NO, that's not criticizm either!).

Example: My friend always let her dogs run loose at her house since they have a lot of land. Did I agree with this? Absolutely not since their house wasn't that far from a highway. She had her dog for 10 years and nothing happened to him, but sadly, one day he was hit by a car and died. When she told me the news, did I say, "Well that's sad, but he had it coming. You let him loose and you knew the risk of that." Of course not! That would be awful and insensitive of me! The thought ran through my mind, but I still didn't say it because I knew it would hurt her feelings. (BTW before anyone responds, I know the comparison isn't on the same level since I didn't personally know Steve, but still, you get my point).

Anyways so yeah, bottom line is Steve was a hero of mine and it's sad that he's gone.

dradeel
06-09-2006, 00:09
Actually from what I saw, no-one is being negative, just honest... it's obvious that there are risks, and he knew about it, he knew that it could kill him, and it did.
Aye... Noone is talking shit about the guy, as far as I've read. He was a great person, but it's a fact that he took risks, and many think he was taking a bit too many risks - including me. That's all...

Still, even tho he took these risks we won't forget that he did alot of good work for animals. But one should also understand those who feel that some of the things he did was simply for TV-entertainment. Sometimes he shouldn't have to take risks - like with a bunch of crocs. But don't think I bash him for it tho - he didn't hurt the animals in any way, so I'm perfectly fine with what he did! But you should respect that others think that some of it was NOT perfectly fine, as there sometimes was an irony in what he preached and what he did himself. We're not all alike, you know :)

QueenBee
06-09-2006, 00:30
"Well he deserved to get killed by an animal! Look at how many animals he handled!"
That's just wrong. :none: Even if he took the risks, I don't think anyone deserves to be killed!
Well okay a few people, but definitely not Steve Irwin. :p

I'm sorry about your friend's dog! Gosh! That's so sad. (I think that may seem sarcastic, but it's not at all - it's very sad when you lose your pet!) She should have known better, we live in a really quiet neighbourhood and even I am scared to let my cats loose outside the house because I'm scared they'll get hurt :lalala:

I never really paid attention to the guy, but it feels really weird now that he's gone. He had such a nice personality and seemed like a happy person overall. :/

dare2dream28
06-09-2006, 00:53
That's just wrong. :none: Even if he took the risks, I don't think anyone deserves to be killed!
Well okay a few people, but definitely not Steve Irwin. :p

Yep! That's the type of comments I was dealing with all day at work, and that was from people who knew how much I valued him! Needless to say my mood wasn't great when I came into the thread. :bum:

I'm sorry about your friend's dog! Gosh! That's so sad. (I think that may seem sarcastic, but it's not at all - it's very sad when you lose your pet!) She should have known better, we live in a really quiet neighbourhood and even I am scared to let my cats loose outside the house because I'm scared they'll get hurt :lalala:

I didn't think you were sarcastic at all, and yes that was a very very sad time. I remember whenever Rebel (my old beagle) would get loose by manuevering out of his harness, I'd go out on a mission to find him and wouldn't return home without him since there is a highway at the bottom of my property.

I never really paid attention to the guy, but it feels really weird now that he's gone. He had such a nice personality and seemed like a happy person overall. :/

He was definitely one of the most passionate people I've ever seen! He always talked about his family with such pride and to watch his croc hunter specials now where he's describing his love for his family with tears in his eyes so heartbreaking. :(

We're not all alike, you know
Ahhh, yes, I do know that. No more expecting people to share my opinions on everything. :p

dare2dream28

I congratulate you, really you take passion for the life! You have inspired me.
Thank you for your words. :rose:

QueenBee
06-09-2006, 01:36
A picture from the family's last (?) photoshoot:
http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/in_the_media/images/irwininc4_200.jpg

Source: http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/in_the_media/irwinsinc.html

So sad. :(

And a funny one:
http://i5.tinypic.com/2u8ecuu.jpg

I found the text online also but I sort of lost it right now, I'll post later if anyone is interested :)

Whitney
06-09-2006, 02:21
I think he was a great man and he risked his life to help people like us learn about the animals of the wild. It was very entertaing to watch him on animal planet while learning amazing stuff about different spieces of animals. He is now gone and I will miss him greatly.

He did enter into a risky and dangerous job but he did it so we all could learn a thing or two about those wild animals.

He is loved by many and he will be missed.

dare2dream28
06-09-2006, 03:12
Awwwww, thanks Queenie for those links. LOL@ Bindi in her fairy costume. :p I'm watching the CNN special on Steve as we speak. Larry King said that website quite a few times throughout the show...I just donated and became a "wildlife warrior." Gahhh this is still so sad!

Mary-sheccid
07-09-2006, 00:12
yes dare2dream the pain never turn off....
when u lose somebody that you loved.

but his/her remember is always in ur heart...:heart:

spyretto
07-09-2006, 08:36
It was so ironic though that he handled crocodolies and he had to go by a stingray. It wasn't so much his fault as a string of bad luck, I suppose.
( While Treadwell was really pushing it with the bears and if anybody is interested there's a fascinating documentary by legendary director Werner Herzog about Treafwell called Grizzly Man. I hope they do something similar about the "Crocodile Hunter" as a tribute cause he gave us so many hours of amazing footage. )

But as we have said so many times before the cosmos is unforgiving and overly random so if you meddle with the flames you're gonna be burned by the fire ( or something like that )

marina
07-09-2006, 13:16
It was so ironic though that he handled crocodolies and he had to go by a stingray. It wasn't so much his fault as a string of bad luck, I suppose.

Sorry , but I don’t agree with this. spyretto says , everyone says now it was ironic to go because of Stingray etc. So I decided to chime in (didn’t want at the beginning because it’s really tragic and sad times for those who knew and loved Steve Irwin)
Let’s see :
1. He wasn’t deep diving . He was snorkeling at the shallow water .Meaning ? Not too much space for any maneuvers and too close to the stingray.
2. Sting ray , it’s not a dinner plate size , you know . Those stingrays about 1 meter in diameter and weight up to 100kg . Huge things with bread knife at the end of the tail.
3. They are timid , yeah .. but on another hand they are very easy get frightened; freaky movement , shadow and they go in defensive mode and strike! Cameraman and Steve’s friend knew about this , he says he witnessed not once how stingrays go into defensive mode. It happens to him before(not that he was wounded but he witnessed such things). Best thing in such situation to stay far away. If cameraman knew about this , I’m sure as hell that Steve Irwin knew too.
4. Bad timing ... I don’t really get that point but I was reading these days a lot about the tragedy and what they say it’s something to do with season and sharks , stingrays get especially wary of the danger around such times..

And now imagine ,Steve Irwin just above that beast , 2 m... no room no space…. Like a huge shadow he follows that stingray and follows and follows and follows ..
I wasn’t surprised stingray did strike . It’s not just bad luck /freaky accident . The only thing which is really bad luck -- a wound straight into his heart … If it was arm/leg/or lower torso , they could save a brave man . Very sad.
But as I said he took unnecessary risk . Never take chances with wildlife.

Rachel
07-09-2006, 22:39
But as I said he took unnecessary risk . Never take chances with wildlife.Marina, I totally agree. :)

I'm not trying to be mean, sorry it came across that way the other night.

spyretto
07-09-2006, 23:01
Sorry , but I don’t agree with this. spyretto says , everyone says now it was ironic to go because of Stingray etc. So I decided to chime in (didn’t want at the beginning because it’s really tragic and sad times for those who knew and loved Steve Irwin)
Let’s see :
1. He wasn’t deep diving . He was snorkeling at the shallow water .Meaning ? Not too much space for any maneuvers and too close to the stingray.
2. Sting ray , it’s not a dinner plate size , you know . Those stingrays about 1 meter in diameter and weight up to 100kg . Huge things with bread knife at the end of the tail.
3. They are timid , yeah .. but on another hand they are very easy get frightened; freaky movement , shadow and they go in defensive mode and strike! Cameraman and Steve’s friend knew about this , he says he witnessed not once how stingrays go into defensive mode. It happens to him before(not that he was wounded but he witnessed such things). Best thing in such situation to stay far away. If cameraman knew about this , I’m sure as hell that Steve Irwin knew too.
4. Bad timing ... I don’t really get that point but I was reading these days a lot about the tragedy and what they say it’s something to do with season and sharks , stingrays get especially wary of the danger around such times..

And now imagine ,Steve Irwin just above that beast , 2 m... no room no space…. Like a huge shadow he follows that stingray and follows and follows and follows ..
I wasn’t surprised stingray did strike . It’s not just bad luck /freaky accident . The only thing which is really bad luck -- a wound straight into his heart … If it was arm/leg/or lower torso , they could save a brave man . Very sad.
But as I said he took unnecessary risk . Never take chances with wildlife.

As you say, stingrays bites are deadly only if they beat you in the heart...and I can't believe that stingray went with intent to kill Irwin. So the fact that he was beaten may not have been bad luck but the fact that he was actually killed by the bite was.
That was indeed what I meant by "bad luck".
Not to mention that a stingray is not a crocodolie . ie it wouldn't cut you in two.

Mary-sheccid
07-09-2006, 23:11
Already stop to rest in peace this poor man.

dare2dream28
08-09-2006, 02:53
Marina, your explanation of possible events would make sense. And yes, it is always a risk dealing with wildlife (believe me, I know from personal experience, although the only time I've ever been bitten by an animal was at a petting zoo! ha! lol ). However, I do agree with [b]spyretto[b]...if Steve was stabbed anywhere except the chest, he could've easily survived. It's extradinary bad luck that the stingray got him right in the chest. :(

I'm not trying to be mean, sorry it came across that way the other night.

Sorry I exploded the other night...I was rather emotional after a long day of dealing with it all.

freddie
08-09-2006, 05:27
Here's (http://www.sendspace.com/file/72w4j0) a song that would be appropriate for the croc man to say goodbye to. :p

On a different note... that Timothy Treadwell story is more horrific still. Partially eaten... ewww.

marina
08-09-2006, 08:05
that Timothy Treadwell story is more horrific still

Did you watch the documentary , freddie ?
I was writing about that movie several months ago (our Movie thread)......He was nuts . Totally . And his girlfriend lost her life too.....I blame him ..

forre
08-09-2006, 08:37
Guys, it is just a bad luck. He could equally be hit by a car and die as many more people die each day in the car accidents than of diving in shallow waters.

marina
08-09-2006, 08:55
The point is , Olga , we have enough of dangerous stuff around us to worry about , cars , planes , freaky roofs and mad people at loose etc. There is no need to go around wild beasts in shallow waters. It's not brave... it's another word which I don't want to mention here .

forre
08-09-2006, 09:20
It still doesn't change anything. He probably did his diving hundeds of times before without being injured. It's just us - humans. We always think "it won't happen to me". I do, you do, he did, we all do.

freddie
08-09-2006, 18:10
Did you watch the documentary , freddie ?
I was writing about that movie several months ago (our Movie thread)......He was nuts . Totally . And his girlfriend lost her life too.....I blame him ..
Never saw it. I hardly ever watched Steve's show either - I just caught it from time to time cause he was so prolific. It would be kind of weird seeing a guy provoking a grizzly bear once you know sometime in his future he's about to get killed and eaten by one.

spyretto
08-09-2006, 20:38
On a different note... that Timothy Treadwell story is more horrific still. Partially eaten... ewww.

Partially eaten? I thought he was wholly eaten :eek:
That bear had a very good time for a while.

freddie
09-09-2006, 00:58
Partially eaten? I thought he was wholly eaten :eek:
That bear had a very good time for a while.
Partially. They've found parts of the remains.:bum:

spyretto
09-09-2006, 01:29
Partially. They've found parts of the remains.:bum:

yeah - inside the bear's belly

dare2dream28
09-09-2006, 04:03
yeah - inside the bear's belly

The pilot that was supposed to pick up Tim & his girlfriend saw the rib cage of one of them, I forget now, so one of the two were partially eaten. :bum:

RockStarShuichi
04-11-2006, 23:58
I watched the show alot.....I will surely miss Steve he was so sweet....he tought us about animals and how to co exsist with them